Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

It just gives me unpleasant flashbacks to Agents of SHIELD and it's stupid broadcast schedule.

and to be fair AoS has been a lot better about this for season 2 and so far in season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hangedman1984 posted:

and to be fair AoS has been a lot better about this for season 2 and so far in season 3

Oh very much so. I should have specified early AoS

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Watched the first 4 episodes. Definitely fun. It's definitely stuck in the middle between new fantasy (GoT) and old Xena/Hercules stuff. Decent mix. Although I would unironically want a new Legend of the Seeker-style show to make a comeback, but I guess people hate that kinda stuff these days.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I tried but really can't get into this.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

gohmak posted:

I tried but really can't get into this.

I find its more watchable if I just imagine its the dramatization of someone's dungeons and dragons game

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like it. It has higher production value than Legends of the Seeker, but that show ended up being more fun. I wish it stayed around longer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm watching this show in hopes of seeing the murderous swole gnomes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Don't forget everyone, tonight is the first new episode that was not included in the 4 episode "binge watch" online. So, if you watched all available episodes and then got annoyed at waiting (looking in your general direction, jivjov), tonight is finally new!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Don't forget everyone, tonight is the first new episode that was not included in the 4 episode "binge watch" online. So, if you watched all available episodes and then got annoyed at waiting (looking in your general direction, jivjov), tonight is finally new!

The reminded is appreciated :)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I hope they do a long "Previously on The Shannara Chronicles ..." intro because I can't remember what the gently caress happened last episode.

Edit: oh yeah, boring human reavers were about to get up in their grill

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really hope all the reavers just get eaten by a troll or demon or something. I can't remember their level of importance in the book, but they're just horrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope they do a long "Previously on The Shannara Chronicles ..." intro because I can't remember what the gently caress happened last episode.

She got the maguffin and our band of mismatched misfits was about to embark on their quest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Watched the first four episodes of this, and I'm hoping it improves a lot from here. There's so much about it that just feels lazy or poorly thought-out. Like the scale of the world. It feels like the show must be set on a small island, because everything is easy walking distance from everything else. It makes it hard to get a feel for the stakes. And it does the same thing with time, where it seems like there's supposed to be this epic backstory that's faded into legend, but also it happened 30 years ago and a whole lot of people should just remember it as fact?

Also, it's hard to take it seriously when there are characters called things like Al-Anon and Eritrea, and the magic tree is the L-Crease. It all just sounds really dumb. Oh, and every time they refer to the princess "carrying the tree's seed" it really sounds like it impregnated her. I'm also disappointed that the post-apocalyptic nature of the world doesn't seem to be relevant in any way. Like, they don't use remnants of old forgotten technology or live in the ruins of ancient cities or anything. And where are these gnomes everyone's always going on about? Or the dwarfs? Why is everyone a human or an elf?

It's not bad so far, but I can't really get invested in it at this stage. If it carries on like this it'll probably end up being entirely forgettable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

Al-Anon and Eritrea, and the magic tree is the L-Crease.

Not that it particularly matters..but its Allanon, Eretria, and Ellcrys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also Will got laid, big deal there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and every time they refer to the princess "carrying the tree's seed" it really sounds like it impregnated her.

I think you got this TV show mixed up with the Evil Dead movies

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

etalian posted:

I think you got this TV show mixed up with the Evil Dead movies

Haha, nice reference there

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

They are based on the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, which I don't plan to go into much here, due to obvious spoiler implications. ...
...after nuclear war has decimated the planet, and

Seriously dude, did you put any thought into this whatsoever?

Anyway, I was wondering if this thread existed. Read the books when they came out and was surprised to see ads for the show. Well not TERRIBLY surprised since I haven't paid attention to MTV since the 80s.

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

I'v only read the first book, but it was incredibly loving rad. I'm saddened by the fact they are skipping it because it's not deemed suitable enough for mass consumption. Is the second book as baller as the first?

The funny thing is that back when the books came out I picked books by their cover art, and subsequently read the second before the first so eh.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 27, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cartouche posted:

Are the mushroom clouds in the intro supposed to be magic? the world in the show got blown up by nukes

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Are the mushroom clouds in the intro supposed to be magic? the world in the show got blown up by nukes

Well, I haven't watched and I am speaking more as someone who's only read the books. Maybe the blame should be placed on the show folks. I remember nothing about the ancient pre-book history being in the first few books.

jivjov posted:

Anyone know off hand at what point in the books that the whole "post apocalyptic earth" thing started showing up? It's been years since I've read them, but I feel like it wasn't until way later in the series than the book that this series is based on.

You are not wrong.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 27, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cartouche posted:

Well, I haven't watched and I am speaking more as someone who's only read the books. Maybe the blame should be placed on the show folks. I remember nothing about the ancient pre-book history being in the first few books.
Ah, the opening shot of the pilot is a big helicopter shot flying over the wasteland past a bunch of overgrown landmarks, they get into that basically right away.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cartouche posted:

"The world is post-apocalyptic earth" isn't exactly a spoiler...it's just setting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreenNight posted:

Also Will got laid, big deal there.

Also we know he got a big dick. Vital character development.

Edit: Wow, elves are just all about poo poo security. How did they end up the rulers in this world anyway?

Edit 2:Maybe clean up your regicide mess before smugly sitting in front of it, destroying the whole point should absolutely anyone walk in.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 27, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Cartouche posted:

Well, I haven't watched and I am speaking more as someone who's only read the books. Maybe the blame should be placed on the show folks.

This thread is about the show. Perhaps the blame for your stupid bitching at the OP lies on... you.

Cartouche posted:

I remember nothing about the ancient pre-book history being in the first few books.

You are not wrong.

You are. I don't like the way the show decided to over-exaggerate it, but FFS at least know what you're talking about before you start complaining.

Sword of Shannara, Chapter 7 posted:

Moments later the figure of an old, old man stood before them, bent with age and clothed in woodsman's garb, his hair silver in the starlight, his face framed by a long, white beard neatly trimmed and combed. The strange light in his hand appeared fiercely bright at this close distance, and there was no hint of a flame in its center. Suddenly it disappeared and in its place was a cylindrical object gripped in the old man's gnarled hand. He looked at them and smiled a greeting. Shea looked quietly at his ancient face, sensing that the strange old man deserved his respect.

"The light," Shea spoke finally, "how . . .?"

"A toy of people long since dead and gone."

Sword of Shannara, Chapter 11 posted:

Suddenly the road ended and the strange framework stood completely revealed, the great metal beams decaying with age, but still straight and seemingly as sturdy as they had been in ages past. They were part of what had once been a large city built so long ago that no one recalled its existence, a city forgotten like the valley and the mountains in which it rested-a final monument to a civilization of vanished beings. The metal framework was securely set in huge foundations of something like stone, now crumbling and chipped by the weather and time. In places, remnants of what had once been walls were visible. A large number of these dying buildings were clustered together, pushing out for several hundred yards beyond the travelers and ending where the wall of the forests marked the end of man's feeble invasion into an indestructible nature.
"I remember what Allanon told us of the men who lived then," declared Menion in a rare moment of dreamy recollection. "That was the great age, he said, and even so, this is all it has to show - girders."

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 27, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Finally a evil assassin gnome

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cartouche posted:

Well, you are wrong. As pointed out above, the very first book uses it to explain the setting, pretty early on. The opening credits of the show point it out. It's basic setting of the series. You just don't remember it from the books. So, um, sorry you didn't like the OP, but that's not a spoiler.

Anyway, about last night's episode, unless I am also misremembering the books in a pretty big way, the end of the episode is a big departure from them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sorry for the double post, but I found a sample of the first book, The Sword of Shannara, and this clunky bit of stage setting is in the second chapter.

quote:

"Enough of this," Allanon began again, his face softening as one strong hand reached up to grip Shea's shoulder in friendship. "The past is behind us, and it is with the future that we must concern ourselves. Let me refresh your memory for a moment on the history of the Northland and the legend of the Skull Kingdom. As you know, I'm sure, the Great Wars brought an end to an age where Man alone was the dominant race. Man was almost completely destroyed and even the geography he had known was completely altered, completely restructured. Countries, nations, and governments all ceased to exist as the last members of the human race fled south to survive. It was nearly a thousand years before Man had once again raised himself above the standard of the animals he hunted for food and established a progressive civilization. It was primitive, to be sure, but there was order and a semblance of government. Then Man began to discover there were other races besides himself inhabiting the world - creatures who had survived the Great Wars and developed their own races. In the mountains were huge Trolls, powerful and ferocious, but quite content with what they had. In the hills and forests were the small and cunning creatures we now call Gnomes...

(cutting out some random junk about Gnomes)

"Man also discovered that there was another race - a race of men who had fled beneath the earth to survive the effects of the Great Wars. Years of living in the huge caverns beneath the earth's crust away from the sunlight altered their appearance. They became short and stocky, powerful in the arms and chest, with strong, thick legs for climbing and scrambling underground. Their sight in the dark became superior to that of other creatures, yet in the sunlight they could see little. They lived beneath the earth for many hundreds of years, until at last they began to emerge to live again on the face of the land. Their eyes were very bad at first, and they made their homes in the darkest forests of the Eastland. They developed their own language, though they later reverted to the language of Man. When Man first discovered remnants of this lost race, they called them Dwarfs, after a fictional race of the old days."

This was, again, the second chapter of the very first book in the series, which the TV show skips over (revealing this info through credits montage). Plus the stuff Choadmaster posted above from just a few chapters later. It's been there from the start.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

etalian posted:

Finally a evil assassin gnome
When that flashback happened I was pretty excited to finally see some gnomes. Kind of disappointed that they're not very gnomey though. I mean, they're human sized for a start. And so far it seems like they're basically just people, and we haven't seen any because there was a war and now things are still pretty tense between the two nations. That's a bit underwhelming after the way people were talking about them a couple of episodes ago.

A few of other things from this episode:
  • Why isn't everyone in the seed party riding a horse? Could the great and mighty kingdom of the elves only spare three horses?
  • What is Al-Anon trying to get the seer to do? Just keep tabs on Amberly?
  • That "knock-out powder" was just super convenient, wasn't it?
  • Why are they bringing Dexter's dad with them? Aren't his men going to be chasing them now to get him back?
  • Is Dexter's dad a good guy now? Like, did he just have a sudden and complete change of heart for no reason?
  • That demon looked pretty fiery, but it was killed by fire? Huh?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Why isn't everyone in the seed party riding a horse? Could the great and mighty kingdom of the elves only spare three horses?

They could probably spare a lot more, but why would you do that for common foot soldiers who are very much expendable?

quote:

What is Al-Anon trying to get the seer to do? Just keep tabs on Amberly?

Yeah, I think he wants to know where she is and get regular progress reports.

quote:

Why are they bringing Dexter's dad with them? Aren't his men going to be chasing them now to get him back?

My understanding is that rovers are very disorganized and without a strong leader they are very unlikely to chase the group. Even if someone else takes charge, why would they go and try to rescue the previous leader? So yeah, taking Dexter's dad hostage was a very smart move imo.

quote:

Is Dexter's dad a good guy now? Like, did he just have a sudden and complete change of heart for no reason?

When you're chased by a fiery demon of death I think it makes sense to drop the nonsense and cooperate. In the long run though it's hard to say what he will do.

quote:

That demon looked pretty fiery, but it was killed by fire? Huh?

Poison gas explosion. ;) But yeah, the explosion effect was small, so it felt kind of underwhelming.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole point of this bad show was to make you feel bad for those elf guards.

Sorry Mr scout elf, we are sending you ahead to check out what's left of Flint michigan

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

Sorry Mr scout elf, we are sending you ahead to check out what's left of Flint michigan

:vince:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm digging this so far. It's clunky. So very clunky. It might be pure nostalgia - I read the original Shannara trilogy around 87 and they got me into fantasy - but it's keeping my interest. It doesn't hurt that Manu is just that awesome and, despite it all, I like Eretria.

I'm looking forward to the end of the show, though. Amberle turning into a tree, Wil using the Elfstones and having that magic imprinted on his blood and passed to the children he has with Eretria.

It's been awhile since I read Elfstones, but I appreciate all the shots of Eventine's dog, who was the Changeling in the book. Looks like they threw that all out the window in a bit of a crazy way.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The "Knockout powder" line was delivered in such a way that it makes me think she was supposed to have killed those men but they changed it last minute for some reason.

I really want to support this show because Mtv branching out makes me happy but man the dialog and plotting is so awful, I hate it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Tiggum posted:

[*]That "knock-out powder" was just super convenient, wasn't it?

She'd already used it on Wil, and later she tried to use in on Amberle. She keeps it in a ring on her finger and they made it clear it's a pretty standard trick for her. In a show with a bunch of problems, this wasn't one.

OTOH, the red shirt just happily riding into the obvious death meadow was remarkably stupid.

Mortanis posted:

It's been awhile since I read Elfstones, but I appreciate all the shots of Eventine's dog, who was the Changeling in the book. Looks like they threw that all out the window in a bit of a crazy way.

Heh yeah. The changeling was actually the dog for a little while in the show (which is kind of funny, considering the dog is still alive... the demon must really like dogs if he just locked him in a room for a while!).

Suddenly in episode 5 they try to make the world sound so big... too late, guys.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 30, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

They could probably spare a lot more, but why would you do that for common foot soldiers who are very much expendable?

They're in a hurry, aren't they? Seems like horses would get them there quicker than walking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

They're in a hurry, aren't they? Seems like horses would get them there quicker than walking.

Maybe, but they were also dragging a prisoner in chains, and she was on foot, so everyone else being on horseback wouldn't have helped with speed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Choadmaster posted:

Heh yeah. The changeling was actually the dog for a little while in the show (which is kind of funny, considering the dog is still alive... the demon must really like dogs if he just locked him in a room for a while!).

I'm pretty sure it was the dog ever since it first replaced the dog. King Gimli was looking all over for his dog when the changeling walked in.

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe, but they were also dragging a prisoner in chains, and she was on foot, so everyone else being on horseback wouldn't have helped with speed.

It's a crazy idea, but maybe put her on a horse too. Like, sure, she's bee nothing but a pain in the rear end to the elves the entire time they've known of her existence. But on the other hand magic insists that she's part of the quest crew, so you kind of need to bite your lip and role with it. Maybe even treat her not like complete garbage. For the sake of the quest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gyges posted:

It's a crazy idea, but maybe put her on a horse too. Like, sure, she's bee nothing but a pain in the rear end to the elves the entire time they've known of her existence. But on the other hand magic insists that she's part of the quest crew, so you kind of need to bite your lip and role with it. Maybe even treat her not like complete garbage. For the sake of the quest.

Yeah, that quest which is literally the most important thing in the entire world and the only hope for preventing their entire population being demonmurdered. But no, they could only spare 3 horses.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh, and another thing I just remembered. That bit where the soldiers are all standing in a circle with their torches and there are magical wolves or something, then Eritrea shows up and suddenly there are no wolves? What was going on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and another thing I just remembered. That bit where the soldiers are all standing in a circle with their torches and there are magical wolves or something, then Eritrea shows up and suddenly there are no wolves? What was going on there?

That wolf-repellent powder sure came in handy!

• Locked thread