Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Can you even imagine a senator using maternity leave to avoid their highly paid barely-a-job job? The very thought makes me want to retch.

How do you even get someone pregnant over skype, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MrChips posted:

Well to be fair the CSeries is a fantastic product from a technical perspective; it has met or exceeded, often by a wide margin, the performance goals set by Bombardier when they were attempting to sell the aircraft, and it turns out the engine has exceeded its performance guidelines that, when presented with them in 2010, everybody in the industry thought were basically science fiction.

Glad to hear the Americans made a fine engine for your gently caress up of a plane :P

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
They were also unable to break the frame during normal stress testing.

The Pratt and Whitney engines are wonderful, no doubt, but the whole plane is really - - as far as is known from testing - - the best in its class.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKt71whL_0I

All you loving retarded pet owners take heed - when canada's economy becomes a smoke hole in the ground, you're probably going to drop rover off at the SPCA because you can't afford to pay the mortgage on your loving condo.

Source:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/31/recession-pets-animal-sanctuaries
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207458/Dont-want-Crisis-rescue-centre-Britons-turn-backs-cats.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/more-pets-abandoned-since-the-start-of-the-financial-crisis-8269588.html

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Morbus posted:

Glad to hear the Americans made a fine engine for your gently caress up of a plane :P

The geared turbofan is made in Quebec.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Kraftwerk posted:

The geared turbofan is made in Quebec.

And almost all of the research and development was done there too. St-Hubert is about the only Pratt office left in their entire company that can design an engine worth a drat anymore.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The only airline I can think of that was actually excited to buy the c series was Porter, and the NIMBYs put a halt to that poo poo.

Pretty sure bombardier is done.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

The only airline I can think of that was actually excited to buy the c series was Porter, and the NIMBYs put a halt to that poo poo.

Pretty sure bombardier is done.

Nationalize production facilities, build our own fighter replacements.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

El Scotch posted:

literally not possible anymore.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yes, the c series interceptor

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You can take the windshield out for additional stealth capability

Roll back the f35 u guys

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

MA-Horus posted:

literally not possible anymore.

start from scratch all over again anyways knowing full well it'll take many years to see any results whatsoever, if only as a WPA-style makework initiative

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

El Scotch posted:

As others said it is unlikely. However, dassault has basically said that if Canada buys the rafale, they will give us the blueprints, and licenses and such so that the entire fighter can be built in Canada with Canadian industry, and they are willing to have Canadian firms sell them abroad, as long as they get a substantial cut of the profits.

So, yeah, on the subject of cf-18 replacements, I'm very in favour of the Rafale.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I have zero faith in any defense procurement project not to be a colossal gently caress up of majestic proportions.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
Anyone who's kept up with the discussion and didn't fall for obvious frauds like Pierre Spray realizes that the f35 is the best option at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVY6Fdc2CM

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Coylter posted:

Anyone who's kept up with the discussion and didn't fall for obvious frauds like Pierre Spray realizes that the f35 is the best option at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVY6Fdc2CM

Pierre Spay is indeed part of the fighter mafia who think things such as "radar" and "air to ground" is useless

But the f-35 is a hog. We do not need it.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I think a lot of the problem comes from the fact that A) we underspend in comparison to what Canadians generally want the CF to do and thus operate on a perpetual shoestring budget and B) we structure procurement in entirely the wrong way. Procurement shouldn't be done in huge lumps, it should be more spread out. While this is partially unavoidable for the aircraft purchases, it's entirely avoidable for the navy.

Instead of deciding the we're going to build 15 new warships just as soon as we finalize the design, procurement should be structured so designers come up with a design every ten years or so incorporating lessons learned and newer technology and then one shipyard delivers 1 of these new ships every 18 months or so. It ensures that we have a permanent design team who learn their job well instead of a haphazard team thrown together every 40 years with entirely new people who have to relearn everything all over again. It ensures that there is one yard that know how to build warships and can hire and retain people for the long term. And it makes sure that the navy is never in the position again of having ancient ships falling apart and no new ones for the foreseeable future.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Pierre Spay is indeed part of the fighter mafia who think things such as "radar" and "air to ground" is useless

But the f-35 is a hog. We do not need it.

How is it a "hog" compared to the other options.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I don't know anything about trains but is Bombardier Transportation considered to be good? When I was at Berlin's new rail station I couldn't help but notice this massive BOMBARDIER sign over the whole thing, and the entire trip I kept noticing Bombardier rail stuff. The entire trip the only Canadian brands I noticed were Bombardier and Canada Goose (and Isn't Bombardier just a German train company they bought anyway?).When they had the exhibition streetcar line along false creek for the Olympics they brought in two state of the art Bombardier streetcars to run along it and they were fantastic.

It seemed like there was a moment in the summer when Bombardier Transportation was going to get spun off into its own entity with its own IPO, but that doesn't look that's going to happen now. It probably would have been good for that organization to be untethered from the airplane manufacturer.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Coylter posted:

How is it a "hog" compared to the other options.

oh jeez i thought you were joking about stumping for the f-35, like i assume about everyone who does so, because giving people the benefit of the doubt is just courteous

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hmm how is it a hog let's see

It has 1 engine. We haven't had a single engine fighter since the f-104 lawn dart.

It has very limited range without tanks, which makes the whole "stealth" thing kinda pointless.

Oh here's a big one. IT CANNOT TANK FROM OUR TANKERS. IT LITERALLY DOES NOT WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
IT ONLY HAS ONE ENGINE

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Hmm how is it a hog let's see

It has 1 engine. We haven't had a single engine fighter since the f-104 lawn dart.

It has very limited range without tanks, which makes the whole "stealth" thing kinda pointless.

Oh here's a big one. IT CANNOT TANK FROM OUR TANKERS. IT LITERALLY DOES NOT WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE.

Here is a chart showing single engine fighters as more reliable than dual engine:

On the range point:

The F-35A is expected to match the F-16 in maneuverability and instantaneous high-g performance, and outperform it in stealth, payload, range on internal fuel, avionics, operational effectiveness, supportability, and survivability.[495] It is expected to match an F-16 that is carrying the usual external fuel tank in acceleration performance.[496]

Your point about the tankers is valid but couldn't we just adapt the tankers. This doesn't seem like something that would require changing the whole plane but instead change the feeding adapter.

edit: I mean its not like engines just go out randomly all the time that having a backup makes a big difference. In fact in twin engine setups having an engine break will often break the second one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
.....this isn't nine gear crow's AC LP.....

(Yes, it is the f-35 discussion there too. )

And yes, I am still stumping for Rafale, which has repeated undertaken teh kinds of missions Canada would use it's jet for, and yes, is still the drat best option IMO.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Coylter posted:

Here is a chart showing single engine fighters as more reliable than dual engine:

On the range point:

The F-35A is expected to match the F-16 in maneuverability and instantaneous high-g performance, and outperform it in stealth, payload, range on internal fuel, avionics, operational effectiveness, supportability, and survivability.[495] It is expected to match an F-16 that is carrying the usual external fuel tank in acceleration performance.[496]

Your point about the tankers is valid but couldn't we just adapt the tankers. This doesn't seem like something that would require changing the whole plane but instead change the feeding adapter.

edit: I mean its not like engines just go out randomly all the time that having a backup makes a big difference. In fact in twin engine setups having an engine break will often break the second one.

What's the actual value to Canada of having a state of the art stealth fighter? I can think of a lot of other things we could spend that money on.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Comparing an f16 with new engines to the 30 year old f100s in the f15 is stupid

And I think the f35 needs boom tanking we only have Drogue, can't convert it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's too cold to fly on the arctic with one engine. You need two so one will keep the other earn and vice versa

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

MA-Horus posted:

I have zero faith in any defense procurement project not to be a colossal gently caress up of majestic proportions.

I think you just wrote the mission statement for Public Works.

Individually - hard working and dedicated staff. Collectively - "a colossal gently caress up of majestic proportions".

Symbol can be a variation of the West Coast First Nations Sisiutl - a two headed snake eating itself. Or perhaps updated to crawling up its own arsehole(s).

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Coylter posted:

If I'm reading this chart right, one of the five F-16 engine variants has had no failures, and all of them are more reliable than fighters designed in the 50's and 60's. The F-22 (0.58 failures per 1000 flight hours) and F-15 (0.48) are still more reliable than four of the five F-16 variants (0.92+), and none of these are planes that Canada is considering to replace our CF-18s.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We should buy surplus humvees and second hand

Save money and act out blackhawk down

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

It's too cold to fly on the arctic with one engine. You need two so one will keep the other earn and vice versa

http://www.livescience.com/49662-f35-extreme-weather-tests.html

"While we are testing in the world's largest climatic testing chamber, we're pushing the F-35 to its environmental limits — ranging from 120 degrees Fahrenheit [48.8 degrees Celsius] to negative 40 degrees, and every possible weather condition in between,"

I take it that if it passes those tests it would be fine?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Coylter posted:

On the range point:

Is there anything else that Wikipedia article you copy-pasted can tell you about this?

The tanker thing you so conveniently handwave away is literally a billion dollar problem. The cost of designing, testing and deploying a retrofit is enormous, especially considering nobody has ever fitted flying-boom tanker gear to an Airbus A310.

Also, your engine point is completely invalid. In combat where aircraft are being shot at and damaged, maybe, but in normal peacetime operations it is good insurance to prevent a very expensive loss of aircraft and possibly aircrew; double engine failures are almost non-existent, if you break down the statistics. Since we can barely afford to buy new fighters, we sure as hell can't afford to lose any needlessly.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

MrChips posted:

Is there anything else that Wikipedia article you copy-pasted can tell you about this?

The tanker thing you so conveniently handwave away is literally a billion dollar problem. The cost of designing, testing and deploying a retrofit is enormous, especially considering nobody has ever fitted flying-boom tanker gear to an Airbus A310.

Also, your engine point is completely invalid. In combat where aircraft are being shot at and damaged, maybe, but in normal peacetime operations it is good insurance to prevent a very expensive loss of aircraft and possibly aircrew; double engine failures are almost non-existent, if you break down the statistics. Since we can barely afford to buy new fighters, we sure as hell can't afford to lose any needlessly.

Actually i'm not handwaving it at all. It's something i had not considered in Canada's case. If there is a good point of contention that might be it. It would have to be weighted against the price of procuring new tankers or adapting existing ones.

As for engines just breaking down on their own that is very very rare.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Still not clear on why Canada needs a stealth fighter to begin with when the money could be spent on something that is actually useful.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Helsing posted:

Still not clear on why Canada needs a military to begin with when the money could be spent on something that is actually useful.

:agreed:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Still not clear on why Canada needs a stealth fighter to begin with when the money could be spent on something that is actually useful.

Ivan will never see us coming when we intercept those TU-95s in the Arctic Circle!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

:lol:

Sure thing Rick. Shipping a million barrels of oil a day through Quebec via pipelines that have a history of spills has "nothing to do with Quebec".

Ricochet's Ethan Cox did something useful for once and dug up this old Rick Mercer clip from 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LguZQZei3pE&t=73s

"Honestly, I don't know if the pipeline is a good idea or a bad idea, but the good news is I no longer have to look at both sides. None of us do! [PMSH] has made it perfectly clear: there's only one side to this issue, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an enemy to Canada."

:allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Helsing posted:

Because we want to go around doing HOOAH BUSTING DOWN DOORS bullshit, trying to be MURICA LIGHT, when in reality all we need is something to shoo the Russians away and haul bombs every once in a while when we show up to bomb mud huts in the desert.

So we don't need stealth, but we do need range and speed to cover our territory. Also, since most of that territory would result in near certain death for any aircrew downed in it, and is virtually bereft of any useful airports, two engines is almost a necessity as insurance to prevent loss of life and airframe.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just like I posted in the GBS thread, 99% of the time the tasks that get assigned to our air force could be achieved with a tacticlol version of an Air Tractor.

Buy some of these for when our government demands the blood of goat herders with AKs and one squadron of Rafales so we can pretend we have the ability to fight off a Russian air assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So proud to be Canadian right now!