Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mr. Despair posted:

Do you mean thrash metal?

Steroids wouldn't get those confused, that's for sure.

tbh i have a long history of loving up english and confusing homophones. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
MONY

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

ElMaligno posted:

Man today daily is shotgun centrist as gently caress, still died in the palace because i'm a chump. Still I have made a youtube playlist with uplifting songs to listen to while playing nuclear throne.

Thanks for this, very uplifting and spiritual.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ZIdmfMc5o&t=416s

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Deets on Update 98, from Rami:

quote:

Update 98
Here are our plans for 98 as it stands currently. More things will come up as we go, but this update will mostly focus around the server for Dailies and Weeklies. As such, progress is kind of unpredictable, but we'll keep you up to date. We're specifically still searching for reports on game hangs and crashes. We should've fixed most of them, but if you come across one, please let us know as soon as possible!

Balancing
J.W. will update this as we go.

Fixes
Wall tops flash green on portal disappear. (WA)
SubContTop Crash. (WA)
Figure out why the portal is a bit wonky sometimes. (WH)
Closing crash on OSX.
Figure out what is up with some of the audio settings on some configurations. (WH)
Stat screen crashes. (WA)

Misc
Move the Share Overlay out of the top-right corner as it's really ugly. (WC)
Save data less frequently to lower chance of corruption by unexpected user quit. (WA)
Daily / Weekly server transition. (WH)
Cross-saving. (WC)

Additional details:
A: All Platforms.
H: PC, Mac, Linux.
C: Consoles.
M: Handhelds.
D: Done.
W: Work in Progress.

Anything under the Work in Progress section is intended for this update, but not necessarily a promise. Bugs can take a long time to fix, so promising anything for an update release actually delays the update and earlier fixes from coming in to the release build.

Biggest changes are probably the fix for Anomaly (not mentioned here, but SLEEPCYCLES showcased it in his latest preview build video), and finally Dailies are fixed (yay!).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

Deets on Update 98, from Rami:

Biggest changes are probably the fix for Anomaly (not mentioned here, but SLEEPCYCLES showcased it in his latest preview build video), and finally Dailies are fixed (yay!).

What "fix" is that because if they make it any less hilarious I'm uninstalling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In the current build sometimes it breaks and you can't ever leave the level, that's what the fix is for.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok good, I've never seen it break and it's the best thing in the game, especially when it starts killing cops and vans before they even appear.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

"Am I being detained" Whispers Crystal before firing its super splinter gun.

“Am I free to go?” Cries Crystal before getting its crystalline excretions pushed in.

Someday my struggle will end.....

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am not sure I like crystals. Throne butt. I feel like it hurts more than it helps.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ElMaligno posted:

"Am I being detained" Whispers Crystal before firing its super splinter gun.

“Am I free to go?” Cries Crystal before getting its crystalline excretions pushed in.

Someday my struggle will end.....

her

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Reznor posted:

I am not sure I like crystals. Throne butt. I feel like it hurts more than it helps.

Hers is one of the bad throne butts that you never, ever take.

I wasn't completely sure what to call her, so I used a gender neutral pronoun in order not to rustle any jimmies. So thanks for getting your jimmies rustled i guess...

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ElMaligno posted:

I wasn't completely sure what to call her, so I used a gender neutral pronoun in order not to rustle any jimmies.

CRYSTAL CAN HANDLE THIS

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

Hers is one of the bad throne butts that you never, ever take.

I wasn't completely sure what to call her, so I used a gender neutral pronoun in order not to rustle any jimmies. So thanks for getting your jimmies rustled i guess...

are you okay

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i'm melting down

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

are you okay

Everything hurts

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's not fair. it's not right

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

oddium posted:

are you okay

wait gently caress wrong game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fwiw this is what it says on the wiki but it doesn't say it anywhere ingame and I've never seen a dev say it

by the way beating captain as melting without strong spirit or rhino skin is hard

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

fwiw this is what it says on the wiki but it doesn't say it anywhere ingame and I've never seen a dev say it

by the way beating captain as melting without strong spirit or rhino skin is hard

The devs refer to her a she

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the I.D.P.D. and the mutants are some kind of allegory about the haves and the have-nots.

Also, how can "idpd" on Google bring up pages of Nuclear Throne before any other thing... no one else in history ever happened to use that acronym?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fair enough! I don't usually read steam forums because it's mostly a bunch of white noise

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like the I.D.P.D. and the mutants are some kind of allegory about the haves and the have-nots.
fuck_the_police.wav

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of people reading too much into the deep intricate nuances of nuclear throne, I found this while I was looking for that post: http://femhype.com/2015/08/11/she-can-handle-this-crystals-characterization-in-nuclear-throne/

quote:

When I first wrote about Nuclear Throne for FemHype last July, I argued that Rebel is an important character because she has moral shades of grey. She orders around friendly bandits that will inevitably die on her behalf. Vlambeer designed her as a complicated woman who helps diversify our understanding of femininity beyond traditional gender roles.

Crystal defies the physical expectations of women characters in video games. As a tough and durable mutant, Crystal isn’t objectified, nor is she frail. Instead, she’s designed as a solid rock, able to withstand a large amount of enemy fire before dying. She struts through the wastelands, confident in her abilities while searching for the Throne.

Developing strong women characters in gaming isn’t just about creating relatable protagonists. After all, Crystal stands out because she’s a large mutant boulder. She’s not human, and that’s perfectly fine. Her characterization celebrates the ways in which women can be strong, durable, and well-written even if they aren’t necessarily realistic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pictured: objectification of women. shame on you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of people reading too much into the deep intricate nuances of nuclear throne, I found this while I was looking for that post: http://femhype.com/2015/08/11/she-can-handle-this-crystals-characterization-in-nuclear-throne/
smdh

there's constantly people on the NT subreddit as well who are like... talking about theories about the backstory of the game, and """lore""" and poo poo. and it's just like

have you played this game? have you even seen, this game

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

MIRRORS WILL BREAK (THE INTERNET)

(from this vid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCXHuNmUgfs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

smdh

there's constantly people on the NT subreddit as well who are like... talking about theories about the backstory of the game, and """lore""" and poo poo. and it's just like

have you played this game? have you even seen, this game

The devs claim that every character has a story

For exampe, Y.V. wants to get money money money

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah but like, either that's bullshit or it's short throwaway stories. and either way it's not in the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Plant has the best story.

To wit: it is a plant and loves murder

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah but like, either that's bullshit or it's short throwaway stories. and either way it's not in the game.

The devs contradict this every time they give their Sensible Nonsense talk. The whole point is they think through their worlds lore to a great degree so it informs all the design decisions they make. Just because that doesn't make it into all the 'text' of the game doesn't mean it's not there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fish used to be a cop

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Maluco Marinero posted:

The devs contradict this every time they give their Sensible Nonsense talk. The whole point is they think through their worlds lore to a great degree so it informs all the design decisions they make. Just because that doesn't make it into all the 'text' of the game doesn't mean it's not there.
it's actually like objectively not there, in the sense that basically none of it is present in the game at all and you just kind of go through themed pos-apoc areas arcade style

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like if the only way to get this information is in dev streams and poo poo? it's not there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

I agree, you can just feel it when lore is really thought out. Dark Souls or Fury Road are not text/dialog heavy for the amount of content they have but you can tell people put a hell of a lot of thought into the things they're not spelling out for the viewer.

Edit: Like I wouldn't be surprised if Vlambeer has some sort of bible explaining all the backstories to much greater detail.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"There is a deep story that we haven't told you that there's no way for you to infer" works for most mediums, but it does not work for Nuclear Throne, a game which lasts for 10 minutes or less at a time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

if they're not going to have it present in the game in any fashion other than some talk during dev streams, i don't see how it's particularly relevant to the player at all. they have made 0 attempt to communicate any of these stories to the player through the game, so they might as well be nonexistent for me, a person playing nuclear throne who is not part of the fraction of the fan base that dilligently keeps up with every dev stream

Zero VGS posted:

I agree, you can just feel it when lore is really thought out. Dark Souls or Fury Road are not text/dialog heavy for the amount of content they have but you can tell people put a hell of a lot of thought into the things they're not spelling out for the viewer.

Edit: Like I wouldn't be surprised if Vlambeer has some sort of bible explaining all the backstories to much greater detail.

the lore of dark souls is present in the game. it's not told to the player in a straightforward manner, but it is, in fact, present within the game for the player to find.

this is not the case for nuclear throne. the lore does not exist within the game, it only exists within the minds of the developers.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The existence of the lore is not there for the player as text, but to provide some level of consistency to the design decisions made, which characters come from where, why levels are decorated Te way they are. I'm not saying Nuclear Throne has some deep clearly there story, just that there is a lore underneath it all.

I mean, take any book, game or film with a well thought out world, and you can be sure as poo poo a lot of writing to flesh it out that never gets presented to the viewer. It's the only way to achieve a coherent world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
And to add to that, people like digging into a world that has stuff not presented to the viewer, whether it's a book, film or game. That's all there is to it for some people, at worst they make for a fun bit of trivia so what's the problem?

• Locked thread