Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1 2 Buckle My Shoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This is objectively better than the posts it references.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I decided to refresh my memory on how White Chain looked before escaping the Thorns, and wow, it is a major difference. That page is particularly good here for having Deliciously on it, who is looking considerably darker and lacking in an inner light, much like White Chain is now.

Edit: Also just noticed that White Chain's hand wings are gone there, but I think that's just an art error. Maybe; they seem to retract in the previous page but not disappear entirely.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Did we ever learn the name of that angel that got killed

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Did we ever learn the name of that angel that got killed

23 Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously or are we talking about other angel?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Roland Jones posted:

So I decided to refresh my memory on how White Chain looked before escaping the Thorns, and wow, it is a major difference. That page is particularly good here for having Deliciously on it, who is looking considerably darker and lacking in an inner light, much like White Chain is now.

Edit: Also just noticed that White Chain's hand wings are gone there, but I think that's just an art error. Maybe; they seem to retract in the previous page but not disappear entirely.

i doubt it's an art error given how prominently it's shown
i mean, it's been implied that an angel's form is malleable so...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I got 18 Empty Flower Enlightens the Gluttonous. Which is pretty amazing to think about.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

A retroactive bonus page! 2-29.5
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-2-29-5/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate that they make things clearer, but they really mess up the pacing if read in proper order.

e: And part of the appeal was being in Allison's shoes and barely comprehending what was going on

VVV

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 28, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's a good page to read *now*. It wouldn't have been a good page to read a year ago.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah this is exactly the kind of exposition dump I didn't want to see

you been doing show don't tell just fine the first time dude quit talkin down to the readers. if it was actually plot-critical stuff you had to make sure everyone got before going forward that'd be one thing, this is just killing the fun of big crazy cosmic anarchy by overexplaining all the rules

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah this is exactly the kind of exposition dump I didn't want to see

you been doing show don't tell just fine the first time dude quit talkin down to the readers. if it was actually plot-critical stuff you had to make sure everyone got before going forward that'd be one thing, this is just killing the fun of big crazy cosmic anarchy by overexplaining all the rules

Alison: But how do I know what is what?
82: Just roll D20 and hope for critical success.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Alison: But how do I know what is what?
82: Just roll D20 and hope for critical success.

Meaning that I hope Abaddon is not pulling a Tolkien and creating a world where he can play D&D like Tolkien created a world so he could speak Elvish.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wait, this is a back-dated page?

idk i feel like its pretty easy to extrapolate the nature of the angels just based on what happens in the comic. i guess one page isnt a huge deal either way, though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, the writing isn't necessary, but the visuals are nice.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Meaning that I hope Abaddon is not pulling a Tolkien and creating a world where he can play D&D like Tolkien created a world so he could speak Elvish.

He's already developing an RPG though?

Also him going Tolkien sounds rad :colbert:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's fine if he wants to have his silmarillion, I'd love to read that myself, but K6BD seems like it is meaning to tell more of a Lord of the Rings. Some exposition is fine and maybe even necessary, as are signs that a lot more is going on than what we see and know, but the most important thing is the story of the chief actors.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
it's a neat page, but spending a hundred pages slowly revealing what the deal is with angels and devils and then going back and adding a "so, allison, here's everything you need to know about angels and devils" page seems like a strange move to me

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
also maybe not the best move: putting the "we're just spirits inside suits of armor, it's ok if we're banished, we can come back" page immediately before white chain is banished and comes back

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I like the Gunnerkrigg Court approach to background info exposition, i.e. end of chapter bonus pages. They're also great sources of comic relief.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's fine if he wants to have his silmarillion, I'd love to read that myself, but K6BD seems like it is meaning to tell more of a Lord of the Rings. Some exposition is fine and maybe even necessary, as are signs that a lot more is going on than what we see and know, but the most important thing is the story of the chief actors.

Dozens of pages at a time were dedicated to backstory and other boring poo poo in the LOTR books, so maybe you should pick a better example.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Who What Now posted:

Dozens of pages at a time were dedicated to backstory and other boring poo poo in the LOTR books, so maybe you should pick a better example.

Yeah, I figured I should have said "The Hobbit". Only thing is that The Hobbit has much smaller stakes than what LOTR and this story are shaping up to be, i.e. overcoming the existential threat of corrupt force(s).

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I loving love the retroactive bonus pages. Its such a fitting concept for such a out of this reality/normalcy to have content going forward AND backward in our time. I'm tickled to rebirth.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The retroactive page really doesn't give much away. There's nothing in what's said about Angels that would imply White Chain's "death" a few pages later isn't a big deal, for example. Being expelled from Throne could easily be taken as they were physically tossed out, like a bouncer ejecting someone from a bar.

None of it really undercuts the shock of later events, and it leaves a lot unsaid. It's the most basic in-universe explanation of Angels and Demons. There's nothing about banishment, about the angelic cycle of rebirth. Nothing about the color ranks of demons, etc. It only seems to give away the farm because we know the broader implications of what White Chain is talking about from later in the comic.

I still don't personally care for it, since its relating information that obviously can be figured out from other places in the comic. It's hardly the first exposition heavy passage in the comic though. The only reason I find this one a bit bleh is that the other ones dropped information we wouldn't have known otherwise.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 30, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like the retroactive pages because there was a huge lack of exposition in the first chapter originally. It gives the story a little room to breathe.

Anyway, new page http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/won-3-54/

Guys I think Metatron might be be alive.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Funny, I thought White Chain already knew some of the syllables of Royalty.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

That'd be a pretty rad body not gonna lie.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Spooky. I like all the talons and poo poo trying to claw their way out of him. Wonder what his end game is. Maybe wiping the universe of humanity because one human owned him and his brothers?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

AriadneThread posted:

i doubt it's an art error given how prominently it's shown
i mean, it's been implied that an angel's form is malleable so...

look, white chain has hands again in the flashback page

so i guess whatever happened drove white chain into a less human state?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i love that Metatron used his reality-shattering voice crafted from the birth of creation to say "yooo how'd you like these sick new threads"

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

SexyBlindfold posted:

i love that Metatron used his reality-shattering voice crafted from the birth of creation to say "yooo how'd you like these sick new threads"

Not gonna lie, I don't want White Chain to start drinking these loser's kewlaid but fuuuuuuuuuck thats a nice suit. Maybe a little fib to get those duds and then dip on these lames is in order.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Given what being a Thorn Knight does to your actual angelic body, it's probably a pretty bad idea to wear their duds, no matter how swag they may be.

Going to be interesting seeing what vessel 82 comes back in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why'd you give up that sexy bod

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
White Chain got all cut up from hearing the voice of god.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I thought the point of metatron was to be less vocally devastating

Although from the sound of the flavour text, when YISUN speaks the whole of creation bursts into flame, so I guess this is less devastating.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Renaissance Robot posted:

Although from the sound of the flavour text, when YISUN speaks the whole of creation bursts into flame, so I guess this is less devastating.

True, but all of creation bursting into flame is basically YISUN's version of mild heartburn

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Metatron may have gotten a smidge bit more vocally devastating on account of the events that have been happening to him as of late.

A fun thing is that in some Jewish apocrypha, Metatron was a human (Enoch) who ascended to the status of archangel. Probably not true in K6BD, but it would be interesting if so.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Berk Berkly posted:

Not gonna lie, I don't want White Chain to start drinking these loser's kewlaid but fuuuuuuuuuck thats a nice suit. Maybe a little fib to get those duds and then dip on these lames is in order.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot (or, at least a few) of the Thorn Knights planned to do exactly that, but it's probably not that easy.

Since it seems like an angels mindset causes their form to fluctuate accordingly (as with White Chain developing a female form), it's likely that forcibly changing an angels form likewise altars their mindset. So the very act of accepting the new form would itself make them sympathetic to the Thorn Knight's cause.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Accepting a sort of corruption for power tends to be pretty irreversible and life-changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I might be reaching a bit, but seeing as how White Chain seems to have turned down the sweet new bone suit I get the feeling that an angel has to give up something more in order to fit into one. So I'm thinking they have to cut off their wings (possibly even offering them as a sacrifice in exchange) in order to take possession of the new body, what with the Thorn Knights' lack of wings and Metatron's body being stuffed to overflowing with them. I could see White Chain thinking that's just a step too far since there's no coming back from that and deciding to keep her body as is. I'd really love to see her just take back her old armor and tell Michael to go gently caress himself.

E:

nimby posted:

Accepting a sort of corruption for power tends to be pretty irreversible and life-changing.

Exactly, White Chain doesn't really seem like the kind to take to any kind of corruption, especially not the life changing kind, just for a little more power.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 30, 2016