Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Accidental effortpost. The abridged version is that Yud believes sociopathy is good once more.

Velius posted:

Boys from Brazil?

Bingo.

Zonekeeper posted:

Holy gently caress how does this man keep missing the point of the books so goddamned hard? The ENTIRE POINT that Dumbledore tried to get across during the books is the power of love. Having Dumbledore manipulate people into being together is 100% against his morals.

Because, as was mentioned later, Yud cares nothing about the books. He liked the universe and the general ideas of it, which he got fed to him by fanfiction authors.

Now, we could excuse Yud by saying that this is due to the fact that Dumbledore in fanfic land has been twisted to what he writes and that he just doesn't know better; but that implies that he hasn't read the original books, and that all fanfic writer write the same, which are both blatantly false given that he admits to have read books 1-3 and an insane amount of insane fanfic.

Since he has already twisted Ron and Hermionie into mumbling idiots around Eilezarry, it follows that that's the case with Dumbledore, too. This is problematic because even if Eilezarry is the main character everyone bows to, Dumbledore carries a much bigger voice with him due to his position as a powerful wizard in the story.

Which brings us back, believe it or not, to Boys from Brazil. What Yud is contending here is that not only that kind of behaviour is acceptable, but is also the product of love. It seems that in Yud's mind love=time spent on something, however it may be spent. Dumbledore manipulated, sure, but he did it out of love (which makes it okay, somehow). Yud himself has done nothing for AI research despite his claims, but he has "thought" about it a lot, so he clearly loves it.

It all goes back to his fear of death. Sure, our time is valuable, but when you start thinking about it in terms of the "distance" between life and death, and you are terrified that you are inevitably going down that path, it becomes much more precious. I guess this ties in with the whole "opposite of love is indifference" thing, because you don't normally think about things you don't care about.

The punchline is that his idea of time well spent was terribly written Harry Potter fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also I like the implication Mister Scientist-guy whose name I can't recall only got together with petunia because of her physical appearance.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

Well at least he's not advancing the "the fanfic is better and more important than the main work" argument.

He tried to get his fans to get him in contact with Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe in an attempt to get his fic published as an official, canon alternate universe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kvx687 posted:

He tried to get his fans to get him in contact with Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe in an attempt to get his fic published as an official, canon alternate universe.

I've never understood what he thought Daniel Radcliffe could do for him.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 17 – Locating the Hypothesis
Part Twenty-Five

quote:

Dumbledore gazed at him, and then nodded with a slight grin. "I'm flattered by your interest," said Dumbledore, "but I'm afraid there isn't much to say." Dumbledore took a step closer to the wall and pointed to a painting of a sleeping man. "These are portraits of past Headmasters of Hogwarts." He turned and pointed to his desk. "This is my desk." He pointed to his chair. "This is my chair -"

"Excuse me," Harry said, "actually I was wondering about those." Harry pointed to a small cube that was softly whispering "blorple... blorple... blorple".

"Oh, the little fiddly things?" said Dumbledore. "They came with the Headmaster's office and I have absolutely no idea what most of them do. Although this dial with the eight hands counts the number of, let's call them sneezes, by left-handed witches within the borders of France, you would not believe how much work it took to nail that down. And this one with the golden wibblers is my own invention and Minerva is never, ever going to figure out what it's doing."

Does “sneezes” in this context mean what I think it means? Dumbledore is looking more and more like a creepo with every appearance he makes in this story.

quote:

Dumbledore took a step over to the hatrack while Harry was still processing this. "Here of course we have the Sorting Hat, I believe the two of you have met. It told me that it was never again to be placed on your head under any circumstances. You're only the fourteenth student in history it's said that about, Baba Yaga was another one and I'll tell you about the other twelve when you're older. This is an umbrella. This is another umbrella." Dumbledore took another few steps and turned around, now smiling quite broadly. "And of course, most people who come to my office want to see Fawkes."

Dumbledore was standing next to the bird on the golden platform.

Harry came over, rather puzzled. "This is Fawkes?"

"Fawkes is a phoenix," said Dumbledore. "Very rare, very powerful magical creatures."

"Ah..." Harry said. He lowered his head and stared into the tiny, beady black eyes, which showed not the slightest sign of power or intelligence.

"Ahhh..." Harry said again.

He was pretty sure he recognised the shape of the bird. It was pretty hard to miss.

"Umm..."

Say something intelligent! Harry's mind roared at itself. Don't just stand there sounding like a gibbering moron!

Well what the heck am I supposed to say? Harry's mind fired back.

Anything!

You mean, anything besides "Fawkes is a chicken" -

Yes! Anything but that!

"So, ah, what sort of magic do phoenixes do, then?"

That’s not a bad question, in the circumstances.

quote:

"Their tears have the power to heal," Dumbledore said. "They are creatures of fire, and move between all places as easily as fire may extinguish itself in one place and be kindled in another. The tremendous strain of their innate magic ages their bodies quickly, and yet they are as close to undying as any creature that exists in this world, for whenever their bodies fail them they immolate themselves in a burst of fire and leave behind a hatchling, or sometimes an egg." Dumbledore came closer and inspected the chicken, frowning. "Hm... looking a little peaky there, I'd say."

By the time this statement registered fully in Harry's mind, the chicken was already on fire.

The chicken's beak opened, but it didn't have time for so much as a single caw before it began to wither and char. The blaze was brief, intense, and entirely self-contained; there was no smell of burning.

And then the fire died down only seconds after it had begun, leaving behind a tiny, pathetic heap of ashes on the golden platform.

"Don't look so horrified, Harry!" said Dumbledore. "Fawkes hasn't been hurt." Dumbledore's hand dipped into a pocket, and then the same hand sifted through the ashes and turned up a small yellowish egg. "Look, here's an egg!"

"Oh... wow... amazing..."

"But now we really should get on with things," Dumbledore said. Leaving the egg behind in the ashes of the chicken, he returned to his throne and seated himself. "It's almost time for dinner, after all, and we wouldn't want to have to use our Time-Turners."

There was a violent power struggle going on in the Government of Harry. Slytherin and Hufflepuff had switched sides after seeing the Headmaster of Hogwarts set fire to a chicken.

"Yes, things," said Harry's lips. "And then dinner."

You're sounding like a gibbering moron again observed Harry's Internal Critic.

I’m half-surprised Eliezarry didn’t ask what would happen if they cooked and ate the egg.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 14, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Harry could probably derive from Bayesian principles that you probably can't cook an egg that renews itself in magical fire.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Somehow, making a phoenix look just like a chicken pisses me off more than nearly anything in this beside the rape threat in chapter 7. I don't even know why - I'm not overly fond of phoenixes, it just seems like such a flat joke, so utterly devoid of ... well, joy and wonder. Which Yud is determined to leech from the story at every instant anyway. I'm not surprised, but god, I hate it.

Then again, I'm also really frustrated by the 'sneezes' and the 12 wizards Dumbledore can't tell Harry about until he's older. That's just. Ugh. I'm pretty sure the twelve wizards are also some kind of weird sex joke, or maybe I'm assuming too much based on how unfitting the rest of the work is? I don't know.

I hate this. :negative:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The device that measures the number of queefs by left handed women in france is a monty python thing, I believe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Somehow, making a phoenix look just like a chicken pisses me off more than nearly anything in this beside the rape threat in chapter 7. I don't even know why - I'm not overly fond of phoenixes, it just seems like such a flat joke, so utterly devoid of ... well, joy and wonder. Which Yud is determined to leech from the story at every instant anyway. I'm not surprised, but god, I hate it.

Then again, I'm also really frustrated by the 'sneezes' and the 12 wizards Dumbledore can't tell Harry about until he's older. That's just. Ugh. I'm pretty sure the twelve wizards are also some kind of weird sex joke, or maybe I'm assuming too much based on how unfitting the rest of the work is? I don't know.

I hate this. :negative:

Fawkes originally looked like an old, very sick chicken in the actual books, too. Phoenixes age badly.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Fawkes originally looked like an old, very sick chicken in the actual books, too. Phoenixes age badly.

Did he? I guess I let the covers color my memory/imagination more than I realized.

Yud gets a single, lonesome pass.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Did he? I guess I let the covers color my memory/imagination more than I realized.

Yud gets a single, lonesome pass.

The covers show him in his prime, when he looks much less chicken-like. Yud's description of him during the death-rebirth where Harry first meets him, though, is accurate.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

quote:

"Don't look so horrified, Harry!" said Dumbledore. "Fawkes hasn't been hurt." Dumbledore's hand dipped into a pocket, and then the same hand sifted through the ashes and turned up a small yellowish egg. "Look, here's an egg!"

I can't read this as anything else than Dumbledore fishing an egg out of his pocket and pretending he found it in the ash. So I guess phoenixes don't get reborn, they just die spectacularly and then the owner has to find a new bird/egg quickly?

Travenum
Mar 1, 2015

Uh isn't the joke that it's just a normal chicken?

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

ymgve posted:

I can't read this as anything else than Dumbledore fishing an egg out of his pocket and pretending he found it in the ash. So I guess phoenixes don't get reborn, they just die spectacularly and then the owner has to find a new bird/egg quickly?

Yeah, that was really dumb and unclear when I first read it. Spoilers: It was just a chicken. But it's just Dumbledore loving with him for no reason. Later Harry sees the real Fawkes, which he notes as looking significantly different and actually is a Phoenix.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Vateke posted:

Yeah, that was really dumb and unclear when I first read it. Spoilers: It was just a chicken. But it's just Dumbledore loving with him for no reason. Later Harry sees the real Fawkes, which he notes as looking significantly different and actually is a Phoenix.

(small spoiler) It was a transfigured rock, not a real chicken and (end spoilers) it's foreshadowing for how Dumbledore faked Narcissa Malfoy's death: he burned a fake duplicate and hid the real one away.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

In It For The Tank posted:

(small spoiler) It was a transfigured rock, not a real chicken and (end spoilers) it's foreshadowing for how Dumbledore faked Narcissa Malfoy's death: he burned a fake duplicate and hid the real one away.

While the first part is true, I'm not willing to extend enough credit to Yud to call the second part "foreshadowing". That would imply he meant to do it at the time instead of retconning it later to be less random and weird.

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

While there's a lot of problems with this fic, too little planning is not one of them. In fact, the opposite is true, there's probably too much planning so that things like foreshadowing don't always feel organic. It's definitely not the case that Yud was just randomly making ambiguous and weird scenes and then going back and working them into the story; he had clear endgoals in mind so he was able to plant clues to foreshadow later story beats from the start of the very first chapter all the way through. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The text certainly rewards a careful reader but it means you'll occasionally get scenes or lines that are loaded with meaning and foreshadowing or whatever but aren't appreciable or even comprehendable without hindsight, which is a pretty clumsy way to do things. The pre-planning also means that, for the story arc where Yud deviated from his plan, things get especially lovely.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don't buy that he was foreshadowing from the very first chapter. It really feels to me like he started the fiction out as some sort of "lol look how dumb the HP universe is, let's unravel its illogic" thing, and then when it took off he started to put some more effort into it. He probably did sit down at some point and figure out the actual details of the setting, but this wasn't at chapter one and it definitely involved the back-justification of earlier chapters. That bit at the end where Voldemort asks Harry if anyone thought a REAL 11-year old would act like he did at the start of the fic was such an obvious and obnoxious retcon to address the story's earlier faults that you really must start to question what other dumb things that made sense later were truly designed to make sense from the beginning.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Unless the italicized intro of the first chapter was added in later (which, it could have been, I dunno), I think it's really hard to argue that Yud didn't know at least the broad strokes of what was going to happen in the story or that he wasn't actively laying foreshadowing for it from the start because the intro depicts Harry killing the Death Eaters with his partial-transfiguration ability at the end of the story. The intro is specific in a way that makes it difficult for me to believe that he randomly made it up and only later decided what it was because (the reference to the silver thread and black robes falling couldn't really have ever been anything other than the use of partial-transfiguration to kill a bunch of Death Eaters). You'd think if he was just bullshitting he would have used something vaguer like a flash of light or whatever. I also don't think there was ever any doubt about the direction of the story since the lighthearted first chapter is preceded by the description of "blood spills out in litres" and people dying. While I don't doubt that there was plenty of back-justification going on throughout the fic (and reading this thread tells me he definitely edited some stuff, like removing that xenophobic description of non-Western civilization), I'm pretty sure most authors of a serialized works of fiction do that - J.K. Rowling certainly did - because they'll inevitably have a cool idea that does not mesh with what they have previously written, and it doesn't mean that the big story beats changed and that the foreshadowing that litters the story was all only retroactively made valid.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, there have been edits to fix small errors or inconsistencies with canon (eg. Petunia's potion had originally helper her lose weight, until someone pointed out that in canon she wasn't fat), but I can't remember any foreshadowing being added after the fact, nor events being obviously chosen to retroactively create foreshadowing.

I actually once called out a foreshadowing in Ch.1 that I was absolutely sure had been added in later since it paid off around chapter ninety or so - the centaur telling Lily not to help her sister - but it turned out I was wrong and it had actually been there from the start. Welp.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Tank I think you're underestimating how easy it is to look back on earlier sections of your work and manufacture 'foreshadowing' by deciding to make off hand remarks suddenly plot important.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Tank I think you're underestimating how easy it is to look back on earlier sections of your work and manufacture 'foreshadowing' by deciding to make off hand remarks suddenly plot important.

Yud is just following the grand tradition of all serially published writers, notably including one J K Rowling.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

There's no way the italicized introduction was there from the start, but archive.org doesn't cache fanfiction.net, and the cache of hpmor.com only goes back to early 2012, with 70+ chapters.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Moddington posted:

There's no way the italicized introduction was there from the start, but archive.org doesn't cache fanfiction.net, and the cache of hpmor.com only goes back to early 2012, with 70+ chapters.

The story was started on the 28th of February 2010, according to FF.net. The italicized introduction was there, at the very latest, in June of the same year: ctrl-F "blood".

(Also, please take a moment to appreciate the irony of the first HPMoR hate blog ending up being used, almost six years later, in defence of it. :v:)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Maybe I am. But I also think that people in this thread are overestimating how difficult it is to insert foreshadowing into a story if you know where the story is going. Several people now have come out of the woodwork and expressed disbelief that there's foreshadowing in this story, and that it must be a trick or fake somehow. Foreshadowing is a common literary device, guys, and it's not a complicated one. As I said in one of the my previous posts, it's not even the case that the foreshadowing is always good foreshadowing so you don't need to deny its presence on principle, which it seems like some of you are doing because you're afraid of giving Yud credit. Admitting that there's foreshadowing doesn't make the actual problems with this story any less apparent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

blastron posted:

I don't buy that he was foreshadowing from the very first chapter. It really feels to me like he started the fiction out as some sort of "lol look how dumb the HP universe is, let's unravel its illogic" thing, and then when it took off he started to put some more effort into it. He probably did sit down at some point and figure out the actual details of the setting, but this wasn't at chapter one and it definitely involved the back-justification of earlier chapters. That bit at the end where Voldemort asks Harry if anyone thought a REAL 11-year old would act like he did at the start of the fic was such an obvious and obnoxious retcon to address the story's earlier faults that you really must start to question what other dumb things that made sense later were truly designed to make sense from the beginning.

The twist that Quirrell isn't just a host for Voldemort, but is Voldemort was planned from a very early point, since it was mentioned in an early author's note (that was since amended). Harry being an actual copy of Voldemort, rather than a Horcrux doesn't feel like a retcon either to me; like the previous example it's an instance of Yud's tendency to take things UP TO ELEVEN because it's the only way he knows how to write.

Also there's nothing wrong with open-ended foreshadowing / mining previously written stuff for setup. Breaking Bad is a famous example of the writers throwing in poo poo they had no idea how to resolve.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Quirrel being Voldemort, Harry being a copy of Voldemort, and Harry's special power being partial transfiguration were all planned from the beginning. Details definitely not so much, but those three major plot points never changed.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I guess I have a fair amount of empathy with Yud. I have a lot of problems in common with him, but I try to challenge my laziness, my aversion to challenge, and I certainly know I'm not smart. I have superficial knowledge of a wide variety of topics and can sound convincing, but if you sit me down and we start getting deep into apologetics or whatever, I'll start trying to refer you to actual experts rather than try to impress you. We're pretty much the same age, and while I went to college, it never worked out for many reasons, so our education is roughly equal. He definitely knows way more half-remembered science poo poo than I do. The main thing I have over Yud is about five solid years of regular therapy and a desire to improve myself. Maybe I should just stop all of that and start a scam charity/cult, write terrible fiction and smugly dismiss all criticism. It seems to work for a fair number of people, judging by earlier links in this thread. Being self-described as "monogamous with several submissive playmates" while keeping a straight face would be real hard, but I've done some theater work. I think I can hack it with practice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hey, did anyone ask for more Yud-fiction? Maybe of the shamelessly weeaboo kind?

:itwaspoo:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The protagonist, a young woman, posted:

Though I am a little worried. I’ve never gone more than a day or two without giving myself release. Even when I tried to deny myself for perverted reasons, my willpower failed. I hope that I can clear up this Wicked Emperor matter in a month, and not go insane with repressed desires before then.
no

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

You know, I thought "less didactic" would be a good thing.

These four chapters just gave me an unfortunate aversion to the common fanfic use of ~ as a tone indicator when writing speech.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Did...did Yud just write a weeaboo format "novel" about a girl edging?

E; I'm only basing that on the quoted bit above

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I looked at the Amazon page, which already has five star reviews.

quote:

Yudkowsky thought about trying to publish this book anonymously, as an alleged translation of a Japanese light novel whose original nobody would ever be able to find. He gave up when he realized he couldn't possibly stop people from figuring out that it was him.
Translation: If he posted it as "this cool thing I found," his fans might not realise they shouldn't criticise it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here's an audio version of one of those five-star reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B9Fc6LgMo

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

remember your anime: red tidday UP, white tidday DOWN

Scott Alexander review: no no you guys it's not loving terrible it's KNOWING SELF-PARODY

edit: he's still trying to get the HPMOR fans to spam the Hugos

divabot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
He won't even be in the top ten worst people trying to spam the Hugos this year. He's even a better writer than some of the Puppy trash that got nominated last time around.

Would it be cruel to ask these guys' expert opinion on A Girl Corrupted by the Internet is the Summoned Hero?!?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chrisoya posted:

He won't even be in the top ten worst people trying to spam the Hugos this year. He's even a better writer than some of the Puppy trash that got nominated last time around.

Would it be cruel to ask these guys' expert opinion on A Girl Corrupted by the Internet is the Summoned Hero?!?

dooo iiit

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

chrisoya posted:

There's half-joking chat on post-rationalist Tumblr of a Rationalist Puppies slate. Fortunately they have people who can actually loving write and aren't doing fanfic, such as nostalgebraist (who isn't actually one of them, they just latched onto him) - everyone here should read The Northern Caves, it's pretty darn good and quite short.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

chrisoya posted:

If you don't I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Pounded In The Butt By My Own Girl with Red Tidday Up and White Tidday Down Corrupted by the Internet who is the Summoned Hero?! by Roko's Tinglisk

divabot fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2016