Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Apparently two cheaper models coming from Tesla: a sedan and a CUV (of course). http://jalopnik.com/tesla-motors-confirms-its-developing-two-affordable-ele-1755854259

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have quit listening to car companies talking about the electric cars they're planning to build. I've especially quit listening to Tesla doing this. Show me one on the road and give a firm purchase price.

Tesla is only announcing this to try and cut off any press that GM is getting about the Bolt, etc. "Uh we totally have that too! Just you wait and see!" is not a car.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Sagebrush posted:

I have quit listening to car companies talking about the electric cars they're planning to build. I've especially quit listening to Tesla doing this. Show me one on the road and give a firm purchase price.

Tesla is only announcing this to try and cut off any press that GM is getting about the Bolt, etc. "Uh we totally have that too! Just you wait and see!" is not a car.

Elon Musk ain't that great at deadlines.

ALSO WHY PUT THOSE DOORS ON A CHEAP VEHICLE

WHYYYYYYYY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla has been hinting at the model three for a lot longer than the Bolt has been public.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And we still haven't actually seen one, and they just pushed the release date back to 2017 at the earliest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

And we still haven't actually seen one, and they just pushed the release date back to 2017 at the earliest.

I totally agree with your first paragraph; I'm cautiously optimistic about the model 3, but I don't expect to see one in my driveway until 2018. I just disagree that Tesla is going this reveal in response to GM and the Bolt. This reveal/preview has been scheduled since before the Bolt reveal, IIRC. (Though there was pretty firm rumors about the Bolt's major features, that ended up being mostly true, at that point.)

It's not like they're taking preorder money for it, and are then going to delay it half a decade. (I'm looking at you, every certified aircraft developed in the past twenty years.)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

A sedan and a CUV. Would it kill them to make a basic small hatchback without gimmicky door tricks?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

A sedan and a CUV. Would it kill them to make a basic small hatchback without gimmicky door tricks?

But then they would have to compete with actual carmakers

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mange Mite posted:

But then they would have to compete with actual carmakers

That's the truth. I remember watching a video about the model X. I wanted to see how it drove. Most of the video was them loving about with the doors for about 8 minutes. The other part showed the huge viewsonic touchscreen they plunked into the dash. One of the things that struck me was the rear seat movement: it's just like the GTO in that it's power only and looked reaaaaaaaly slow to move in order to get to the 3rd row. All the seat backs were also hard plastic/frp/carbon. I sure would love to have my knees smashed by a hard back seat like that, let me tell you. I wonder how much less expensive that car would be if they ditched the 'falcon' doors and the front door poppers. The last minute of the video showed the fishbowl windshield that goes over your head and how the car drives (but only in ludicrous mode). It's like they tried to cram as many gimmicks into those cars as possible. Almost as if the people designing the cars don't actually drive cars and didn't set out to design one. So many elements that would be a pain in the rear end to live with or repair.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At least they're not removing ABS to subsidize the doors.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

fyodor posted:

At least they're not removing ABS to subsidize the doors.

Yeah, I need context for that one

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, I need context for that one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502479&pagenumber=683#post455591988

talk in there about abs standards and how gm boned people to save pennies.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

some texas redneck posted:

GM was putting ABS on pretty much everything in the 80s and 90s, even the base model Cavalier, weren't they?

Then they decided "nope, too expensive for the plebs" in the early 2000s, along with side curtain air bags. :wtc:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Tesla's not very good at hitting their deadlines but it's not like their cars are vaporware :shrug:

Anyway, Opel GT concept showed up a couple of days ago:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/opel-gt-concept-for-geneva-is-an-ultra-lightweight-sports-car/

Silly colors aside, it has all the right curves on dat body :getin:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh hey a Z4

I like it
Very mirrors edge.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm down for returning to a period of car design without a million sharp edges and body lines that go nowhere and add nothing to a car's shape.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Tesla's not very good at hitting their deadlines but it's not like their cars are vaporware :shrug:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/opel-gt-concept-for-geneva-is-an-ultra-lightweight-sports-car/

Get rid of the stripe, and the window silver tint, and drat right I want one, also look at those loving wheels.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

88h88 posted:

I'm down for returning to a period of car design without a million sharp edges and body lines that go nowhere and add nothing to a car's shape.

The Frank Gehry school of car design?

mobby_6kl posted:

There's rumors of GM developing a sub-Alpha size RWD platform...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mange Mite posted:

The Frank Gehry school of car design?

Yeah this kind of messy bullshit, the desperate attempt to hide just how huge this garbage is by turning the entire car into loving dazzle camo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mange Mite posted:

There's rumors of GM developing a sub-Alpha size RWD platform...
Well there you go then, GM has everything to make this happen! Of course they'll probably kill it off after a year or two like the roadsters, but still.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh hey a Z4

I like it
Very mirrors edge.

More like 2/3rds of a Z4, if they can stick to that weight, and I don't see why they couldn't. There's no way that pain would make it to production but I wouldn't mind some properly futuristic stuff, because Toyota's idea of that certainly isn't my cup of tea.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Toyota's idea of that certainly isn't my cup of tea.
s-fr is so angry with you. But hey the honda s1000 looks neat. I am glad we live in the era of light weight cars soon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a RWD "let's see how many people we can get drooling in the hope that 1% of them forget everything they drooled about and buy one of our other products" concept. It's just flash.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress YOU CYCLIST I'M TRYING TO PARK HERE

WHY ARE YOU EVEN RIDING YOUR BIKE ON THE ROOF OF A PARKING GARAGE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress YOU CYCLIST I'M TRYING TO PARK HERE

WHY ARE YOU EVEN RIDING YOUR BIKE ON THE ROOF OF A PARKING GARAGE

Inspired by grand theft auto.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wargames posted:

s-fr is so angry with you. But hey the honda s1000 looks neat. I am glad we live in the era of light weight cars soon.

Forgot that was a thing, I meant their design trend in general with that SUV monstrosity and Prius as main offenders.

ilkhan posted:

It's a RWD "let's see how many people we can get drooling in the hope that 1% of them forget everything they drooled about and buy one of our other products" concept. It's just flash.

Quite likely, of course. The PR guy in the article says that this would a type of (affordable?) halo car to increase brand awareness/prestige but unless they have a suitable platform (?) it's going to be a hard sell for them.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

88h88 posted:

Yeah this kind of messy bullshit, the desperate attempt to hide just how huge this garbage is by turning the entire car into loving dazzle camo.

I feel like I shouldn't like this, but I really, really, do.

I think if this came out 10 years ago as a Lamborghini concept CUV, people would think it looked insane in a good way, and would pay $250k for it (with a 600hp v10).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That's a flattering picture of it, but in general it's not bad for a CUV. Lexus' current design language is pretty cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wheeee posted:

That's a flattering picture of it, but in general it's not bad for a CUV. Lexus' current design language is pretty cool.
Their design language is pretty good until you get within 89* of the nose.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i think to cut costs lexus ordered just one grill for everything and of course it was the SUV sized one

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That suv up there looks like it has an icebreaker bow or something on it. Way too much schnoz sticking off the front end for what's likely a transverse FWD setup. I thought when the E46 came out it was the best thing ever especially in profile, since there's very little car in front of the front wheels.

:captainpop: god, I love it :captainpop:

That said, that isn't the worst looking cuv/suv/fat wagon I've seen. Infinity has that poo poo on lock.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How much of all this airbag stuff (like mentioned for the Viper) is to protect people not wearing seat belts?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Saw a Chevy Malibu commercial, the typical hilarity from their series of "real" people reacting to Chevy.

One feature was that they turn of the radio until everyone is buckled in, marketed as being teen oriented. Prefect feature when you have something just heavy enough to trip the weight sensor sitting in the passenger seat, oh, like a back pack.

That would just annoy the hell out of me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BloodBag posted:

That said, that isn't the worst looking cuv/suv/fat wagon I've seen. Infinity has that poo poo on lock.

Always and forever. I can't believe people buy these things

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

How much of all this airbag stuff (like mentioned for the Viper) is to protect people not wearing seat belts?

Airbags don't do poo poo to protect people not wearing seatbelts, so not likely.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bajaha posted:

Saw a Chevy Malibu commercial, the typical hilarity from their series of "real" people reacting to Chevy.

One feature was that they turn of the radio until everyone is buckled in, marketed as being teen oriented. Prefect feature when you have something just heavy enough to trip the weight sensor sitting in the passenger seat, oh, like a back pack.

That would just annoy the hell out of me.

All those loving Chevy commercials annoy the piss out of me.

"Which one of these vehicles do you think won this award?"
"Um, this one?"
"Haha, no. They all did! Tricked you!"

Good job demeaning your potential customers. And to go back to that Malibu commercial, it really annoys me as a person that recognizes cars and design languages.

"Is it a BMW?"
THERE'S NO KIDNEYS DUMBASS.

Ugh.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I like the guy that supposedly thinks the Malibu looks like a $50k-$60k car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

All those loving Chevy commercials annoy the piss out of me.

"Which one of these vehicles do you think won this award?"
"Um, this one?"
"Haha, no. They all did! Tricked you!"

Good job demeaning your potential customers. And to go back to that Malibu commercial, it really annoys me as a person that recognizes cars and design languages.

"Is it a BMW?"
THERE'S NO KIDNEYS DUMBASS.

Ugh.
Well at this point the fucker's voice is enough to tip me off that its a chevy commercial, but I was pretty sure it was malibu or impala the first time I saw it.

The people also not being able to recognize what it is means your brand has no design language. Show people a Mustang and they'll know what it is without a second thought. Kidneys are BMW, the predator grin is Lexus, etc. Show them an amorphous blob and you get poo poo like that commercial.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

smackfu posted:

Airbags are like bombs. The viper can't have one on the side because the driver's head is too close to the pillar and the bomb will take his head off. Now imagine you don't wear a seatbelt and crash, first because of no belt your face gets mooshed right up in front of the airbag, now the airbag that was designed to protect a belted passenger goes off. In China people don't wear seatbelts ever so fuckers driving BMWs and Mercs with 20 airbags drop like flies in even minor accidents.

Anyway back to awesome GM ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RbZt8nrI14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTmZRxKnrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Z0fDls-yM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnmbxmh3gxU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think you guys are underestimating how stupid people that aren't into cars are about cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I think you guys are underestimating how stupid people that aren't into cars are about cars.

100% this. If you ask someone who doesn't know much about cars a mustang they'll probably give you something like "A Camaro? Those are fast right? This looks fast"