Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Awesome :taco:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
oh god yes

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This is good

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I am pleased. Keep up the good work.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Awesome!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Good stuff, looking forward to all those untitled photographs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Hell yeah. Best goon project.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I won't believe it until it actually leaves Australia!!

Just kidding poo poo looks dope.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Hell yeah. Best goon project.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Geektox posted:

I won't believe it until it actually leaves Australia!!

Just kidding poo poo looks dope.

We are dealing with Aus Post here, anything could happen.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
it will inexplicably wind up at deaders's house and sit there for an entire year?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Geektox posted:

it will inexplicably wind up at deaders's house and sit there for an entire year?

then off to antarctica!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, here's a heads up about the cost of purchasing the zine and a breakdown of costs, for the sake of transparency.

Each copy will cost $20AUD.
$15 is the cost for printing each copy.
$1 is the cost for packaging.
$3 will go towards buying and shipping spare stock of the zine in case Auspost eats a few.
$1 to contribute to the cost of having the proof made and other sundries.

Postage costs are (again, in AUD):
1 copy - $8 to Australia, $15 to the world
2 copies - $16 to Australia, $30 to the world
3 copies - $18 to Australia, $40 to the world
4 copies - $18 to Australia, $55 to the world
5 copies - $21 to Australia, $55 to the world

So based on the current lovely state of the Aussie dollar, you can have five copies of this fine publication shipped to your door in the USA for approximately $110USD.

Funding goal is $1600, which was calculated based on a minimum order of 50 copies.

I am absolutely horrific when it comes to anything mathematical, so please feel free to scrutinise these numbers before I make the Kickstarter go live this weekend and save myself the crippling financial burden caused by a major fuckup on my part.

Edit: forgot Kickstarter's slice of the pie, god I'm terrible.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 30, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A $1600 AUD goal looks reasonable to me.

50 copies x $20/copy = $1000
Assume the average order is 3 copies to "the world": 50 / 3 * $40 = $666

If 50 international people order 1 copy each, they'll pledge $1750
If 10 international people order 5 copies each, they'll pledge $1550

I'm assuming your up-front costs are set at the cost of printing for 50 copies (fewer would be more per copy, I gather, and going up doesn't hit a nice price break until you request very large numbers of printed copies, yes?). The risk to you is pretty clear - not enough orders. So a high goal means you won't be sitting on a pile of unsold copies. The risk to the rest of us is that we don't reach the goal and nobody gets their copy of the 'zine.

Not that the risk to the rest of us is actually a risk. If this fails on the first go-around, we could presumably try again with a different pricing structure. I think your $1600 goal is good. Assuming the kickstarter fees don't eat a hole in your pocket.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Oh gently caress I forgot about Kickstarter fees.

Let me try that again. This is why I need other eyes to look at this stuff, I'm dreadful.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The other thing worth remembering is the caveat at the very start of this project: if you're in the book, you're expected to buy a copy.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay let's try again.

Each copy will cost $22AUD.
$15 is the cost for printing each copy.
$1 is the cost for packaging.
$3 will go towards buying and shipping spare stock of the zine in case Auspost eats a few.
$1 to contribute to the cost of having the proof made and other sundries.
$2 is Kickstarter's take

Postage costs are (again, in AUD):
1 copy - $9 to Australia, $16 to the world
2 copies - $18 to Australia, $32 to the world
3 copies - $20 to Australia, $44 to the world
4 copies - $20 to Australia, $60 to the world
5 copies - $23 to Australia, $60 to the world

So based on the current lovely state of the Aussie dollar, you can have five copies of this fine publication shipped to your door in the USA for approximately $120USD.

Funding goal is $1600, which was calculated based on a minimum order of 50 copies.

I am absolutely horrific when it comes to anything mathematical, so please feel free to scrutinise these numbers (again) before I make the Kickstarter go live this weekend and save myself the crippling financial burden caused by a major fuckup on my part.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are there any potential shipping discounts for buying multiple copies and having them shipped to the same address?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Saint Fu posted:

Are there any potential shipping discounts for buying multiple copies and having them shipped to the same address?

Shipping prices above are at cost price, according to Australia Post, so unfortunately I can't discount them without dipping into my own pocket.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cool, figured I'd ask, people might be more inclined to buy extra copies if there was a volume discount (help reach the goal of selling all 50). Definitely wouldn't want you to come out in the negative after it's all said and done.

Does the quote you got consider packing multiple copies in the same package? Don't know how it works in AUS but in the US it's usually a flat rate for a specific box regardless of the weight of the contents (up to a certain max limit).

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Saint Fu posted:

Cool, figured I'd ask, people might be more inclined to buy extra copies if there was a volume discount (help reach the goal of selling all 50). Definitely wouldn't want you to come out in the negative after it's all said and done.

Does the quote you got consider packing multiple copies in the same package? Don't know how it works in AUS but in the US it's usually a flat rate for a specific box regardless of the weight of the contents (up to a certain max limit).

Yeah our postal service doesn't do flat rates based on boxes. Everything is weight dependent.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Gotcha.

Thanks again for putting it all together

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Good lord the AUD is even worse than the Canadian dollar. Just barely, but I was expecting to pay like $30/copy at first

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So with kickstarter, aren't we supposed to offer blowjobs for donations of like $10k or something? How's that playing out?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

vxsarin posted:

So with kickstarter, aren't we supposed to offer blowjobs for donations of like $10k or something? How's that playing out?

It's usually dinner (and you have to fly yourself there). The blowjob is implied.

But I'll probably be buying 5 copies to show off some goon artists to friends so... :bigtran:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Good lord the AUD is even worse than the Canadian dollar. Just barely, but I was expecting to pay like $30/copy at first

Oh yes, we put all our eggs in the iron ore/China basket, paying off in spades now.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Awesome! Thanks for sorting all this out!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Shellman posted:

It's usually dinner (and you have to fly yourself there). The blowjob is implied.

Platinum member donation: $15K: You fly to Australia, Elgarbo and WTF take you to Deaders house so you can throw empty beer cans at him for keeping the AE1 nearly as long as NYC did then you have a cookout or something (airfare and beers not included)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BANME.sh posted:

thats how much it costs to get one here

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

8th-snype posted:

Platinum member donation: $15K: You fly to Australia, Elgarbo and WTF take you to Deaders house so you can throw empty beer cans at him for keeping the AE1 nearly as long as NYC did then you have a cookout or something throw some shrimp on the barbie (airfare and beers not included)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Sounds great, when do I get to see the dingos???

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Shellman posted:

after dinner if you play your cards right :wink:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

~looks at 5 aces 😏

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shellman posted:

You probably don't really want to outside a zoo:
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-26/dingoes-attack-two-women-on-fraser-island-off-seqld/5842290

These guys are adorable though (hanging out in the backyard):

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dude, making people complacent about our devil possums is no laughing matter.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They'll just scratch you a bit, maybe a little bite-y, and then fight each other on the roof, get in the crawl space of your house, destroy your pot plants, strip your fruit trees...

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

... come down your chimney and trash your house...

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Psh, one used to be my best bud! :cheerdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: THE RECIPROCAL FAILURE KICKSTARTER IS NOW LIVE :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
Pledge your support at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208011788/reciprocal-failure-a-photography-zine

The campaign ends at 7am March 2, Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Which is midday March 1 for West Coast USAlanders, I think. Therefore, you have all of February to throw your savings, and the savings of everyone you know, at what I expect will be critically regarded as 2016's best photobook.

Remember: one of the fundamental principles outlined on page one of this crazy project was that if you made the cut you were expected to shell out the cash-money to purchase a copy. You're about to become a published photographer, the least you can do is get yourself a copy and show off all your rad skillz to all your friends and family.

• Locked thread