Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Best strategy I've had so far is to make sure you have two ranged damaged dealers that can consistently kill the matchman immediately. The Grave Robber worked fantastic for this, Thrown Dagger managed to kill the guy every single time, leaving my other three characters to do crowd control when necessary and plink away at the cannon.

I like to have a heavy hitter in the front to just whittle it down every turn, the Leper is not fantastic anymore but he worked beautifully for this. I had him either Hew or Chop, depending on how many extra enemies the Cannon would spawn, and he was able to keep the front ranks cleared out and do a consistent 6-10 damage to the cannon itself every turn.

The problem with the Cannon's prot is the debuff resist seems to be so heavy that I haven't found a skill that would consistently stick; I did have some success marking with the Occultist and using the arbalest to focus the cannon if the Matchman was dead, but you pretty much just have to grind away at it.

Granted, this was just the 8-Pounder or whatever the very first level boss is. I haven't made it to round 2 with the Level 3 boss fight yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Snak posted:

I know right. Are there like -Prot debuffs you can stack on the cannon somehow?

Pretty sure it has 200% debuff resistance. You can still put marks on it though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Get Innocuous! posted:

Pretty sure it has 200% debuff resistance. You can still put marks on it though.

It's a just a really boring fight. It's super easy to kill the matchman every time he spawns, and then do like 9 damage to the cannon, repeat 10 times.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Does anyone have a clip of the narrator's "Slowly, Gently, this is how a life is taken." line?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish I could figure out a strategy for this stupid boss that didn't take forever.

Roll on the rng so he only summons the matchman 3 times in a row, then mash on the cannon and beat it in like 6 rounds

Thats how I won the 12 pounder fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You can have four camp skills?!?!?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speak to the creepy woman on the hill

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Once you get going, unlocking and upgrading skills is so cheap that it's kind of just a nuisance to click through all the stuff to do it.

I feel like a soccer-mom. Grab the 4 guys a want. Take them one at a time to the guild and get their skills set up. Then take them all to the blacksmith. Then it's time for trinkets!

Get them all to stand in the right spot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Best strategy I've had so far is to make sure you have two ranged damaged dealers that can consistently kill the matchman immediately. The Grave Robber worked fantastic for this, Thrown Dagger managed to kill the guy every single time, leaving my other three characters to do crowd control when necessary and plink away at the cannon.

This is what I did in NG but on NG+ the matchman has too much health for thrown dagger to consistently kill him. So I had a houndsmaster finishing him off with harry, which usually worked. It just takes forever as a result. It goes faster once the two other bandits die off but then the canon will randomly summon both of them again so its back to square one.

I'm not sure I even want to try beating the tier 3 version. On one hand, the trophy for it is extremely good. On the other, it will take forever and with how dodgy champion level enemies are I'm sure something will eventually go wrong and my entire party will get blown up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Once you get going, unlocking and upgrading skills is so cheap that it's kind of just a nuisance to click through all the stuff to do it.

I feel like a soccer-mom. Grab the 4 guys a want. Take them one at a time to the guild and get their skills set up. Then take them all to the blacksmith. Then it's time for trinkets!

Get them all to stand in the right spot.

My big UI wish is that you didn't have to drag adventurers around for things. Just let me click on the blacksmith/guild, then click on an adventurer. Dragging them over is a bit annoying because the game expects just a little more precision than I think it does, so I'll drag them over, almost on top of the square, and it won't take.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Harrow posted:

Just let me click on the blacksmith/guild, then click on an adventurer.

You... already can?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah that definitely works. Left click

I do wish there was a one click way to remove them from the embark party tho

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
list of dead
man at arms - shambler
abomination - shambler
jester - cultist acolyte
occultist - pelagic widemouth
plauge doctor - ectoplasm
dismas - hag
vestal - bone courtier induced heart attack
vestal - outlaw cutthroat
highwayman - uca crusher
vestal - fungal battary induced heart attack

in conclusion, vestals really just have a dying problem

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol how do you even get stress from a fungal battery

"nnagaaagh! i've been critically marked!"

e:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol how do you even get stress from a fungal battery

"nnagaaagh! i've been critically marked!"

someone else got critically marked

quote:

d*mn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the things she could do with that plague mask

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Found my first secret room.

:stare:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

You... already can?

That hasn't worked for me, but then again, when I play on my laptop, sometimes it doesn't recognize right clicks, so it might just be a problem on my end. Huh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Snak, you mentioned earlier in the week you'd like to see how other people play, i'll be trying to stream this and hopefully pay attention to chat in the next 10 minutes. Barring technical difficulties, my streaming software occasionally just gets stuck on a loading screen while the game is playing for some reason.

http://www.twitch.tv/dogstilez

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This is totally wrong. There's no way the plague doctor isn't a ton of leeches and maggots stuffed into a suit.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is totally wrong. There's no way the plague doctor isn't a ton of leeches and maggots stuffed into a suit.
The woman carries satchels of poison grenades with her at all times. She smells like a gong farmer and probably makes the Hag look like the Siren's song of desire.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
speaking of i lost my level 5 plague doctor and had to bail out on the final necromancer mission and i'm salty as heck

otoh i have like 6 level 5-6 people to horribly murder in the first darkest dungeon mission

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I managed to kill the Collector, find a Secret Room with nothing but those 2500 GP treasures, and complete the mission with everyone at 0 Stress and nearly fully healed.

I need to stop playing for a bit or I'll get myself killed after that one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Olive Branch posted:

The woman carries satchels of poison grenades with her at all times. She smells like a gong farmer and probably makes the Hag look like the Siren's song of desire.

actually her pointy beak is full of fragrant herbs

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I had an extra of Eldritch-Killer Incense so I randomly slapped some on my Occultist before a trip to the cove.

He was cutting fishmen throats left and right with that dagger attack. I was in awe. I want to buy that man the finest tins of mustache wax that sacks of bloody gold can buy.

Also found my first Secret Room that mission! But had no key to get the good loot from the chest in it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I hate secret rooms because whenever I bring keys I never find any but the mission I forget/decide "Screw it" I find one immediately after a single scouting chance.

I feel like a lot of my posts lately have been complaining about this game. I really like it! I just need somewhere to vent when I come across some bad mojo.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Why is my Bounty Hunter with 110% trap disarm still getting hit when I try to disarm them?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What happens if Reynauld and Dismas die in the tutorial?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Get Innocuous! posted:

Why is my Bounty Hunter with 110% trap disarm still getting hit when I try to disarm them?

Because percentages in DD are weird. Being over 100% doesn't guarantee success or failure. I think the way it works is if you have 120% disarm and a trap has a 60% to trigger, it has a 50% chance to hit you. Seems like everything should just be halved since 200% is immunity.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So my Ranauld within the first six weeks had two anti-unholy buffs, an eldritch buff, fated, and a couple +acc bonuses and his only quirk was god-fearing.

He's still my bff and I love him.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Night10194 posted:

What happens if Reynauld and Dismas die in the tutorial?

You run to the hamlet without them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Because percentages in DD are weird. Being over 100% doesn't guarantee success or failure. I think the way it works is if you have 120% disarm and a trap has a 60% to trigger, it has a 50% chance to hit you. Seems like everything should just be halved since 200% is immunity.

It's all just additive. If you have 165% chance to stun and you're fighting an enemy with 125% stun resist, you wind up with a 40% chance to land a stun. If you have a 110% chance to disarm and the trap has a 20% difficulty modifier, you wind up with a 90% chance to disarm successfully.

I don't think anyone's figured out the exact numbers on traps. I think at apprentice tier the disarm chance is honest, and traps get something like 20% harder per tier. Possibly more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's definitely additive like Gabriel Pope says. 200 is not immunity if you can get your attack over 200% :getin:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Hot tip for those who may not be "in the know" about being good at this game: The ++Loot modifier from being a big man and running around in the night also happens to increase the loot gained from curios; it seems to tack on a random bit of treasure in addition to what you usually get.

So one strategy is to pack the gently caress up on foodstuffs, clear out a dungeon without touching curios, then turning out the lights and collecting all the stuff you left behind.

This means that sometimes you find emeralds shoved into torch holders as well because the world is madness.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Crasical posted:

He was cutting fishmen throats left and right with that dagger attack. I was in awe. I want to buy that man the finest tins of mustache wax that sacks of bloody gold can buy.

If this is a reference to the Ancestor's Moustache Wax, please proceed.
If it's not, then hey - good news! You can actually get him some.
(I sold mine, can't remember the effects but I needed money more)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

So one strategy is to pack the gently caress up on foodstuffs, clear out a dungeon without touching curios, then turning out the lights and collecting all the stuff you left behind.

Prepare for Shamblers though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GloomMouse posted:

Prepare for Shamblers though

I did not do this, heed what happened to my poor Occultist.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Around 20 pages back some people were saying they never use the tavern for stress recovery because of the bad things that happen. Well a few days ago one of my guys won this trinket while gambling.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That should have a +stress drawback or something. I hate that fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's one of the trophies you get from beating the champion bosses, most of them are crazy good with no drawbacks. Essentially a reason to kill them before heading for the Darkest Dungeon.

Edit: Is there any difference between MISS and DODGE in regards to the "Fated" quirk?