Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

staberind posted:

Wait, you didn't get your sorosbux?

i borrowed from the fed at 0% interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
jk im not already a millionaire or billionaire

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

huskarl_marx posted:

can anyone post the charges again?

Title 18 U.S.C. § 372. Conspiracy to impede or injure officer
If two or more persons in any State, Territory, Possession, or District conspire to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof, or to induce by like means any officer of the United States top leave the place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in his person or property on account of his lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or while engaged in the lawful discharge thereof, or to injure his property so as to molest, interrupt, hinder, or impede him in the discharge of his official duties, each of such persons shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than six years, or both.

Bundy & crew are held under this charge. They'll probably get some more if poo poo goes down and the idiot holdouts do actually start shooting at feds.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i could get behind communism if it didnt mean violently overthrowing ritchie rich and his family

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

FuhrerHat posted:

i could get behind communism if it didnt mean violently overthrowing ritchie rich and his family

violence like this happens all the time nowadays under the current economic order; what's more its increasingly apparent that funding violent extremists is something that's become commonplace by members of our own economic elite to consolidate power overseas and since 9/11 these struggles now have further shackled the underclasses of the west too

huskarl_marx has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jan 30, 2016

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Yes, when I wait in line to buy bread, I too hear the drones overhead.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many people are buying tarps because of this. I knew I should have invested in tarps.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Are the tarps lubricated?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bundy & crew are held under this charge. They'll probably get some more if poo poo goes down and the idiot holdouts do actually start shooting at feds.

I was wondering about that. If a law enforcement officer gets injured or killed when poo poo finally goes down, can Bundy and Co get charged for that even though they're currently in custody, given their previously stated intentions?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

fuctifino posted:

Are the tarps lubricated?

One is at least.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

violence like this happens all the time nowadays under the current economic order, what's more its increasingly apparent that funding violent extremists is something that's become commonplace by members of our own economic elite to consolidate power overseas and since 9/11 these struggles now have further shackled the underclasses of the west too

Im gonna make a bot that just posts random words from d&d and see if anyone notices

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
its probably an argument that can be made by a skilled attorney i bet its up to the pretrial judge to allow and up to the juries to decide at the trial proper and then there'd be appeals but IANAL

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
What I always find Ironic about these "being proxy assholes" kind of things is : it affects nothing in a positive way, it only has very negative effects for the immediate players, while those who start it might as well be on another planet.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Lolie posted:

I was wondering about that. If a law enforcement officer gets injured or killed when poo poo finally goes down, can Bundy and Co get charged for that even though they're currently in custody, given their previously stated intentions?

Yes

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lolie posted:

this is the only reason bundy has been encouraging his supporters to leave since he got arrested. the 5 years obstructing a federal employee thing is just the start. if the conspiracy he lead actually murders/attempts to murder federal agents he's going to be spending decades in prison real fast

they could probably already get him for conspiring to murder federal agents based on the livestreamed discussions by his followers of their plans to murder federal agents but they're probably using it as leverage to force him to defuse the situation himself

poverty goat has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Jan 30, 2016

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Pebergehund posted:

Im gonna make a bot that just posts random words from d&d and see if anyone notices

since 1953 the usa has been involved in dozens of coups

since 1979 the usa has been involved in funding islamist fighters

since the early 1980s feds have been involved in trafficking drugs to fund these conflicts

we're the loving bad guys and all of our frenemies are bad guys too is that simple enough for you?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

huskarl_marx posted:

since 1979 the usa has been involved in funding islamist fighters

a fun tidbit is that the US army published an "improvised munitions manual" in the 50s which details how insurgents/special ops can build high explosives from readily available materials and trigger them to explode in exciting ways such as altitude triggers to destroy airplanes automatically at altitude, or pressure triggers to destroy vehicles with roadside bombs

this is the kind of material we provided to groups who were fighting the soviets, such as osama bin laden and the mujahadeen

whats also fun is to look back fondly on all the hand-wringing over the anarchist's cookbook in the 90s knowing that for the last 50+ years a US government publication in the public domain has been the most comprehensive guide to terrorism on earth

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

Since they incited people to come up there, they're responsible for their actions.

It's also why the book is probably going to be thrown at them whenever the Feds do reclaim the refuge. That conspiracy charge might have a maximum six years imprisonment, but they're going to get with "Destruction Of Government Property", maximum 10 years if damages over $100, for any damage or cleanup done to the refuge and "Theft Of Government Property", maximum 10 years if property over $100, since at least one of them used the BLM trucks at the site. And that's if they didn't have warrants and if no one gets killed or anything.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Goatfather posted:

this is the only reason bundy has been encouraging his supporters to leave since he got arrested. the 5 years obstructing a federal employee thing is just the start. if the conspiracy he lead actually murders/attempts to murder federal agents he's going to be spending decades in prison real fast

they could probably already get him for conspiring to murder federal agents based on the livestreamed discussions by his followers of their plans to murder federal agents but they're probably using it as leverage to force him to defuse the situation himself

It already might be too late for that: Bundy's actions have already resulted in a death of one of his own that tried to kill three federal/state officers already (one by car, two by gun). He may already be seriously hosed. And this is ignoring the fines that will come down on the whole wildlife refuge building with damages. If someone was really daring, they could remember that these types also intimidated the local sheriff and made some references to grabbing personal records from this office to use against government workers, which could be seen as identity theft and more harassment charges.

These chucklefucks have hosed themselves sideways in the mistaken belief they were beyond federal law. That alone will get them no sympathy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

huskarl_marx's we get your gimmick its cool dude, you dont needa post a million times an hour

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I hope instead of beanbag loaded shotguns they use dildo loaded bazooka's to stun and subdue the occupiers. I have seen it used to great effect in the 3rd Jackass movie.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It already might be too late for that: Bundy's actions have already resulted in a death of one of his own that tried to kill three federal/state officers already (one by car, two by gun). He may already be seriously hosed. And this is ignoring the fines that will come down on the whole wildlife refuge building with damages. If someone was really daring, they could remember that these types also intimidated the local sheriff and made some references to grabbing personal records from this office to use against government workers, which could be seen as identity theft and more harassment charges.

These chucklefucks have hosed themselves sideways in the mistaken belief they were beyond federal law. That alone will get them no sympathy.

Well here's how federal charges work in america, whether it's drugs or guns or armed revolt: the procecutor shows you a laundry list of 25 laws you technically broke, adding up to 250 years in prison. He promises to make you serve every day of 250 years unless you waive your right to a trial and plead guilty to a subset of charges worth maybe 5-10, at which point the rest of the charges are dropped. Over 90% of federal cases never go to trial and are settled in this manner. Bundy's offer surely has some strings attached regarding how and when his followers go home, which is why he changed his tune immediately after he was taken into custody.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

Well here's how federal charges work in america, whether it's drugs or guns or armed revolt: the procecutor shows you a laundry list of 25 laws you technically broke, adding up to 250 years in prison. He promises to make you serve every day of 250 years unless you waive your right to a trial and plead guilty to a subset of charges worth maybe 5-10, at which point the rest of the charges are dropped. Over 90% of federal cases never go to trial and are settled in this manner. Bundy's offer surely has some strings attached regarding how and when his followers go home, which is why he changed his tune immediately after he was taken into custody.

Yeah the original Title 18 Law has 6 year max prison sentence and carrying a firearm into a federal facility has a 1 year prison sentence.

Plus I'm sure there's a laundry list of other offenses they could levy against the Y'all Qaeda.

So most likely Bundy has already taken a plea bargain with Feds which had stipulations such as cooperating with the authorities.

I imagine the deal had something like only a 3-4 year federal prison sentence.

etalian has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 30, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Goatfather posted:

a fun tidbit is that the US army published an "improvised munitions manual" in the 50s which details how insurgents/special ops can build high explosives from readily available materials and trigger them to explode in exciting ways such as altitude triggers to destroy airplanes automatically at altitude, or pressure triggers to destroy vehicles with roadside bombs

this is the kind of material we provided to groups who were fighting the soviets, such as osama bin laden and the mujahadeen

whats also fun is to look back fondly on all the hand-wringing over the anarchist's cookbook in the 90s knowing that for the last 50+ years a US government publication in the public domain has been the most comprehensive guide to terrorism on earth

the great thing about this is these loving yokels don't go to the Anarchist Cookbook when one of them go psycho and actually do something dumb, they go right for handbooks like that they received when they did 2 1/2 years in the Army prior to the dishonorable discharge

there's a thin line in America where yeah, these guys are funny, but they are just the visible and extra dumb tip of an iceberg of much more scary and dangerous groups

like, if you had even a thousand militia nuts with this dedication the country would be disrupted in a very terrible way

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It would be really dumb to go into trial by jury and argue that you did nothing wrong and then they show 80 hours of video taped evidence they made themselves.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I doubt any pleas from Bundy are going to work. The hold-outs are either going to conclude that he's being coerced and doesn't really mean it or that he's selling them out to save his own skin.

I don't know what will persuaded them to leave though. Even if the authorities promise them "pardons" if they leave, they're going to think it's a trap anyway. They've really backed themselves into a corner.

Lolie has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Jan 30, 2016

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

VikingSkull posted:

like, if you had even a thousand militia nuts with no prior commitments the country would be disrupted in a very terrible way

ftfy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lolie posted:

I doubt any please from Bundy are going to work. The hold-outs are either going to conclude that he's being coerced and doesn't really mean it or that he's selling them out to save his own skin.

I don't know what will persuaded them to leave though. Even if the authorities promise them "pardons" if they leave, they're going to think it's a trap anyway. They've really backed themselves into a corner.

I wonder how much food they have left?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lolie posted:

I doubt any please from Bundy are going to work. The hold-outs are either going to conclude that he's being coerced and doesn't really mean it or that he's selling them out to save his own skin.

That one guy with the warrants has a reason to resist to the death, because he's probably looking at life imprisonment at this point.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

etalian posted:

I wonder how much food they have left?

They think everything works like in the movies, though, and that they can negotiate with the FBI to have pizza delivered. They don't understand how little leverage they really have. And listening to the livestreams, whenever they're forced to confront the reality of their situation they fall back on the "God will find a way" poo poo. They're not going to become more rational as time passes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm firmly convinced that the four of them are going to die there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lolie posted:

They think everything works like in the movies, though, and that they can negotiate with the FBI to have pizza delivered. They don't understand how little leverage they really have. And listening to the livestreams, whenever they're forced to confront the reality of their situation they fall back on the "God will find a way" poo poo. They're not going to become more rational as time passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM_SuN7P5X4

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It would be really dumb to go into trial by jury and argue that you did nothing wrong and then they show 80 hours of video taped evidence they made themselves.

Yeah this didn't work out too well for Ross Ulbright, the creator of the original Silk Road. (the online drug market) When the feds nabbed him they got his laptop which had a detailed diary of every one of his crimes. During trial he still tried to claim that he didn't do anything wrong, and it was probably because of his hubris that he got life imprisonment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oregon Live Comments Section posted:

Heard 'Round the Campfire at the Refuge

"The time has come," Sean Anderson said,

"To talk of many things:

Of shotguns--pardons--and pocket constitutions--

Of cabbages--and kings--

And why the world is an unfair beeytch--

And whether pigs have wings."

"But wait a bit," David Frye cried,

"Before we have our chat;

For some of us are out of meds,

And most of us are fat!"

"No hurry!" said Sandy Anderson.

They thanked her much for that.

"A case of beer," Sean said,

"Is what we chiefly need:

Poptarts and Slim Jims besides....

Are very good indeed--"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

VikingSkull posted:

I'm firmly convinced that the four of them are going to die there.

It's difficult to justify keeping a large contingent of federal resources there indefinitely. I just wonder how much more time they'll be given to come out voluntarily. It's not just about getting them out. It's also about preventing other wingnuts from trying to join them.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Lolie posted:

It's difficult to justify keeping a large contingent of federal resources there indefinitely. I just wonder how much more time they'll be given to come out voluntarily. It's not just about getting them out. It's also about preventing other wingnuts from trying to join them.

I think they have the area fairly well cordoned off.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lolie posted:

I think if all of the 1000 social media posts calling all TRUE PATRIOTS to show up to Burns failed to get the support they wanted when they had free movement, exactly zero people are going to try to go there now.

Most of the people who had voiced support have backpeddled to make it sound like they never actually supported them, or this is just phase 1 in a 38 phase plan to overthrow the government.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah this didn't work out too well for Ross Ulbright, the creator of the original Silk Road. (the online drug market) When the feds nabbed him they got his laptop which had a detailed diary of every one of his crimes. During trial he still tried to claim that he didn't do anything wrong, and it was probably because of his hubris that he got life imprisonment.

He also smacked talked all the Feds as about being dumb and incompetent even though he basically gave them a unencrypted laptop.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Feds could just basically build a plywood wall around them, set up a guard shift and let them chill until theyre ready to quit. Meanwhile clean up the refuge and prep it to reopen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Looks like an FBI spy dog has entered their camp guys.