Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this? posted:

Probably the biggest problem with latter day Red Dwarf is that it's really obvious that it really doesn't work without both Grant and Naylor. I read the book series and both of their solo books had issues.

I wish they could just work together for one last series :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Has it ever been pointed out that Psyche season 5 episode 7 title "Ferry Tale" has a dual Pokemon reference. I lost my poo poo when they did it.

Edit: It is near the end when Shawn and Gus are duct taped together and run out of the church. Gus says something and Shawn says "I wanna be the very best." They start running and a familiar few notes from the Red/Yellow/Blue games play three times.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 30, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wish Jon Hamm would just permanently join the cast of Childrens Hospital, he really fits in.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Grimm taught me an important life lesson: It doesn't matter if you repeatedly attempt to murder someone, their fiancee, and their friends, commit multiple rapes and end up causing the death of the fiancee - as long as you have the baby from one two of the people you have raped, all is forgiven, because becoming a mother renders you immune from all blame and negative consequences.

On top of that, your rape victim will fall in love with you because when sperm from a man ends up inside a woman and she becomes pregnant, that produces a reciprocal reaction which causes the man to fall in love with her. That's just a biological fact about how pregnancy works. Everyone knows that, right? :biotruths:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm several seasons behind on Grimm at this point and after that + hearing about Juliette's poo poo from the last season I'm very glad for that fact.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr Hootington posted:

Has it ever been pointed out that Psyche season 5 episode 7 title "Ferry Tale" has a dual Pokemon reference. I lost my poo poo when they did it.

Edit: It is near the end when Shawn and Gus are duct taped together and run out of the church. Gus says something and Shawn says "I wanna be the very best." They start running and a familiar few notes from the Red/Yellow/Blue games play three times.

that sounds insanely lame dude

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Grimm taught me an important life lesson: It doesn't matter if you repeatedly attempt to murder someone, their fiancee, and their friends, commit multiple rapes and end up causing the death of the fiancee - as long as you have the baby from one two of the people you have raped, all is forgiven, because becoming a mother renders you immune from all blame and negative consequences.

On top of that, your rape victim will fall in love with you because when sperm from a man ends up inside a woman and she becomes pregnant, that produces a reciprocal reaction which causes the man to fall in love with her. That's just a biological fact about how pregnancy works. Everyone knows that, right? :biotruths:

Well, you see, if it's a legitimate rape...

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I would say that's hosed up for a tv show, but then again, Once Upon a Time has messed up morality about rape too. Regina never got told poo poo about her crap with Graham and Zelena will probably never get poo poo about Robin.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm several seasons behind on Grimm at this point and after that + hearing about Juliette's poo poo from the last season I'm very glad for that fact.

Yeah, about that...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

The Juliette defense force (that only seems to exist here on SA) kind of lose all moral superiority when they ignore everything Juliette did in order to pile on Adalind.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The Juliette defense force (that only seems to exist here on SA) kind of lose all moral superiority when they ignore everything Juliette did in order to pile on Adalind.

Do you mean, for instance, her job as a veterinarian, examining the cat Adalind brought (specifically for the purpose of poisoning Juliette)?

Or do you mean things that Juliette did as a Hexenbiest? I'm not ignoring that. It was a ham-handed piece of character assassination of Juliette done apparently for the specific purpose of trying to make the viewers hate her. (It worked, but the writers dagger was clearly visible.) The obnoxious part is that it was transparently obvious even at the time that it was intended to clear the way for the producers/writers to pair Nick up with their pet favorite character.

The writers have apparently forgotten that Adalind has spent literally four entire seasons trying to gently caress up Nick's life. Just sixteen episodes ago, Adalind broke into Nick's house for the explicit purpose of kidnapping or killing Juliette. The writers have spent the last part of the fourth and all of the fifth season acting as if Adalind was Nick's mistress and not his rapist.

Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest was a (stupid) consequence of an attempt to reverse the curse Adalind put on Nick when she RAPED him. So that's tied directly back to Adalind's actions, so it is Adalind's fault, just like most of the terrible things which have happened since the end of Season 1.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, this show sounds like garbage, I'm glad I never watched it.

Although garbage might be a strong word.

edit:

Watching season 3 of Justified for the second time and my roommate just pointed out that Ellstin Limehouse is played by Mykelti Williamson, aka the guy who plays Bubba in Forest Gump. Holy poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 30, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did you know Adolf Hitler was a Werehyena?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm a fan of were-[something other than a wolves] and hyenas are pretty cool.

I'm not a fan of making Hitler into things he wasn't. The scary thing about Hitler and the Nazis was that they were just people.

edit: When you use fictional associates of Hitlers, it's all gravy. Hellboy and Indiana Jones are extremely my poo poo.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kurtofan posted:

Did you know Adolf Hitler was a Werehyena?

I didn't actually consider how ridiculous it actually was until you wrote this.

Eisenhower must have been a grimm. :doh:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Or do you mean things that Juliette did as a Hexenbiest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZJ83cPTzWs&t=10s

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pan Dulce posted:

I would say that's hosed up for a tv show, but then again, Once Upon a Time has messed up morality about rape too. Regina never got told poo poo about her crap with Graham and Zelena will probably never get poo poo about Robin.

The morality of Once Upon a Time is so roundly hosed that I can't imagine how anyone could possibly watch that show if they weren't able to turn that part of their brain off. Like... Regina's a loving mass murderer terrorist evil motherfucking psycho and she's nothing compared to Rumple. And they're just like "well, you did something good and you're family and its not like there's any actual authority or government or rule of law in our magical town so whatever the gently caress."

I actually think part of the fun of the show is when a new character shows up and they're like "HOLY gently caress, ITS THE EVIL QUEEN! SHE MURDERED MY ENTIRE FAMILY!" and the Charmings just go "No, its ok. She adopted a kid and her heart grew three sizes so now its all cool." Its just so hosed up you have to laugh.

Snak posted:

Wow, this show sounds like garbage, I'm glad I never watched it.

Although garbage might be a strong word.

Weirdly my reaction was "this show sounds like garbage, maybe I'll give it a try if its streaming."

I'm not into the hate watching thing but sometimes I do just enjoy a crazy rear end world building show.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 30, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I remember some buzz about Fortitude which was on a network that no one seemed to have. Now it's on Prime and wondering if anyone here has seen it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fortitude is really good. Inessential peak TV, but definitely worth a try.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The morality of Once Upon a Time is so roundly hosed that I can't imagine how anyone could possibly watch that show if they weren't able to turn that part of their brain off. Like... Regina's a loving mass murderer terrorist evil motherfucking psycho and she's nothing compared to Rumple. And they're just like "well, you did something good and you're family and its not like there's any actual authority or government or rule of law in our magical town so whatever the gently caress."

I actually think part of the fun of the show is when a new character shows up and they're like "HOLY gently caress, ITS THE EVIL QUEEN! SHE MURDERED MY ENTIRE FAMILY!" and the Charmings just go "No, its ok. She adopted a kid and her heart grew three sizes so now its all cool." Its just so hosed up you have to laugh.

Well, they are fairytale characters.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I still watch and love OUAT and I still have to basically overlook that part of the show. I've had friends drop it for that or similar reasons and I completely understand how stupid that is and how irrational I am for liking the show regardless of it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Grimm had a few seasons as a solid bit of silly, lightweight entertainment, perfect as a little show to watch over the weekend. Then the writers basically went completely up their own asses after the season 4 winter hiatus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sober posted:

Yeah I still watch and love OUAT and I still have to basically overlook that part of the show. I've had friends drop it for that or similar reasons and I completely understand how stupid that is and how irrational I am for liking the show regardless of it.

Yeah, I enjoy the show but I enjoy it in a totally surface level way that just gets a kick out of Merida from Brave, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, and a werewolf Little Red Riding Hood going on a quest together. Its my inner child's play room. If I stopped and thought about any of the actual plot or morality or relationships in the show then the whole thing would fall apart real quick.

Its why I can't understand when someone's like "wait, you're going to take your kid to Hell? This is so stupid." Yeah, you're right. That's messed up and they're terrible parents and doesn't make much sense logically. But you JUST noticed that?

Also, I'm not sure why I said "gently caress" so many times in that post. I think that was just overcompensation for the "inner child" thing in some way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also OUAT has some excellent cleavage.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Do you mean, for instance, her job as a veterinarian, examining the cat Adalind brought (specifically for the purpose of poisoning Juliette)?

Or do you mean things that Juliette did as a Hexenbiest? I'm not ignoring that. It was a ham-handed piece of character assassination of Juliette done apparently for the specific purpose of trying to make the viewers hate her. (It worked, but the writers dagger was clearly visible.) The obnoxious part is that it was transparently obvious even at the time that it was intended to clear the way for the producers/writers to pair Nick up with their pet favorite character.

The writers have apparently forgotten that Adalind has spent literally four entire seasons trying to gently caress up Nick's life. Just sixteen episodes ago, Adalind broke into Nick's house for the explicit purpose of kidnapping or killing Juliette. The writers have spent the last part of the fourth and all of the fifth season acting as if Adalind was Nick's mistress and not his rapist.

Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest was a (stupid) consequence of an attempt to reverse the curse Adalind put on Nick when she RAPED him. So that's tied directly back to Adalind's actions, so it is Adalind's fault, just like most of the terrible things which have happened since the end of Season 1.

So to summarize; Juliette is excused everything because she was a Hexenbiest, but Adalind should burn in Hell for all the evil things she did... while she was a Hexenbiest.

Basically all I care about is that I find Adalind more entertaining with the good guys than I ever did Juliette.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't seen the show but I have seen this kind of argument before, and usually the result is you're both wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OUAT is remarkable because as the lovely child actor got older and uglier, his acting managed to actually get worse.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think there's anything smug about folks being annoyed and resorting to piracy when the legitimate, paid services they use lock them out of the content they want to watch.

Netflix Canada is not the service that Netflix US subscribers are paying for. This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

OUAT is remarkable because as the lovely child actor got older and uglier, his acting managed to actually get worse.
It's probably just generally lovely direction or something? Cause he did fine when he was basically Peter Pan Possessed Henry.

I mean he's tolerable. I wouldn't want an episode with just him or anything, and I mean, generally episodes without him are usually more enjoyable. But yeah.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Don't care for either Juliette or Adalind. Rosalee and Monroe are the only characters worth watching the show for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Sails has really upped their special effects game this season. The ship stuff has gone from laughable in the first season to movie quality in the third.

Edit: Also a surprising amount of the drama on the show centers around homosexual relationships.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 31, 2016

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Sober posted:

It's probably just generally lovely direction or something? Cause he did fine when he was basically Peter Pan Possessed Henry.

I mean he's tolerable. I wouldn't want an episode with just him or anything, and I mean, generally episodes without him are usually more enjoyable. But yeah.

You have no idea how much I was hoping Peter Pan would die in Henry's body, so we'd get Robbie Kay as Henry. He was such a better actor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Black Sails has really upped their special effects game this season. The ship stuff has gone from laughable in the first season to movie quality in the third.

Edit: Also a surprising amount of the drama on the show centers around homosexual relationships.
Seaman and semen aren't homophone for no reason.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Josh Lyman posted:

Seaman and semen aren't homophone for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KRip5dNzE

"Back in Dubya Dubya Two.....I used to be a seaman."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

As requested, a thread for Colony. I still need to catch up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seriously though, Flint being gay was handled really well.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Seriously though, Flint being gay was handled really well.

Is this a joke about contaminated pipes?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

Everyone should be warned that any show that comes from Freeform is really just ABC Family, which is a sign of it not being any good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ross Angeles posted:

The idea of making a new 24 series without Jack Bauer is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of

I honestly thought 24 should have focused on a new and different agent each season instead of Jack Bauer in every single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A foreign 24 would be great

• Locked thread