Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My dual-sim 950xl did that a couple of times this afternoon. It also flashed up an alert that my SIM settings had changed, and the phone needed to reboot. That was all in the span of two hours or so just after lunch today. It's settled down, and been fine since 2:30 EST or so.

I think a new update might have gotten through or something that messes with this. I've seen that "SIM or phone settings have changed" message three times now. Probably more considering all the restarts, I just didn't get to see the message.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm on my second 950, and I still can't get through a work day without charging the thing (very mild usage- three of four checks of Twitter, maybe 25-50 texts, and that's it). If this thing can't last as long as my 920, I'll have no choice but to get an iPhone. Is anyone getting decent battery life on this thing?

Is it super warm to the touch? You might have that screwed up update that just drains the poo poo out of the phone. I had to reset the phone to get through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

I'm on my second 950, and I still can't get through a work day without charging the thing (very mild usage- three of four checks of Twitter, maybe 25-50 texts, and that's it). If this thing can't last as long as my 920, I'll have no choice but to get an iPhone. Is anyone getting decent battery life on this thing?

I usually get a day out of my 950XL with moderate use, ive played around with alot of the background app settings and found that turning off apps like facebook and edge, that has helped a fair bit. it shows you what apps are using power and you can turn them off.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

God help me, after playing around with latest fast ring build on my 640, I'd probably jump back in with a 950 if it wasn't 600 goddamn dollars. That really should been priced similarly to the Nexus 5x

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 25, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I moved to a Note5 guys, sorry. :smith:

After using WP since putting it on my HTC HD2, I just can't use it anymore until they get some better phones. Their ideas are awesome but with the clusterfuck that is the 950xl, the buggy WP10 OS, and the constant removal of features, I just can't take it.

That and the rest of the family went to Android as well.

Who knows, if they make a nice X86 Surface phone I will check into it. Until then I will watch from outside the ring.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I tried to take a screenshot of a tweet and send it as a picture to my friend over text. I hit the screenshot button and saw the "saving to screenshots..." text on the top of the screen. Of course when I try to attach a picture from messaging the screenshot isn't there. I try it a half dozen more times, and it just won't save to my phone. Ok well, I guess I'll copy and paste the URL into the textbox. So I highlight the text and hit the copy paste button. I go into the messaging app and guess what? Copy-paste fails. I try it 6 more times and it fails each time. I finally have to resort to "share this page".

Microsoft, what the gently caress are you doing?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think a new update might have gotten through or something that messes with this. I've seen that "SIM or phone settings have changed" message three times now. Probably more considering all the restarts, I just didn't get to see the message.

Is it super warm to the touch? You might have that screwed up update that just drains the poo poo out of the phone. I had to reset the phone to get through it.

It doesn't get super warm, no. This is my second 950 through several updates and it still does this.

Snakes in a can posted:

I usually get a day out of my 950XL with moderate use, ive played around with alot of the background app settings and found that turning off apps like facebook and edge, that has helped a fair bit. it shows you what apps are using power and you can turn them off.

In background I have: Mail + Calendar, Messaging + Skype, Microsoft Phone, Windows Alarms & Clock.

Note also that even leaving alarm running in the background didn't ensure that my alarm went off this morning. I was 15 minutes late to work. Thanks again, Microsoft!

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My contract runs out in five days and I shall remain faithful to Windows Phone. :colbert: I'm not getting a new phone though, so I'll be hanging on to my 640 and see what the future holds in regards to devices.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I tried to take a screenshot of a tweet and send it as a picture to my friend over text. I hit the screenshot button and saw the "saving to screenshots..." text on the top of the screen. Of course when I try to attach a picture from messaging the screenshot isn't there. I try it a half dozen more times, and it just won't save to my phone. Ok well, I guess I'll copy and paste the URL into the textbox. So I highlight the text and hit the copy paste button. I go into the messaging app and guess what? Copy-paste fails. I try it 6 more times and it fails each time. I finally have to resort to "share this page".

Microsoft, what the gently caress are you doing?

Copy and paste is universally lovely on Windows 10. Desktop has the same issue. I have to close the app and try again. As for the screenshot thing, have you checked the photo app to see if it's there? Sometimes messaging gets hosed and can't find anything. Last bit of advice is to backup your phone and factory reset. That helped my 640 after the update.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Best Buy lowered the price on the 640 to $48 so I picked one up to play with and eventually give to my friend's kid. How would I go about putting the Win10 preview on here? Is it possible? Also, is the SD card useful in WP8/10 or is it like Android 5 where you can't actually put app and game data on it, only music and video?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

Best Buy lowered the price on the 640 to $48 so I picked one up to play with and eventually give to my friend's kid. How would I go about putting the Win10 preview on here? Is it possible? Also, is the SD card useful in WP8/10 or is it like Android 5 where you can't actually put app and game data on it, only music and video?

Install the windows insider app from the store, pick the fast ring and install the update.

SD card is useful, you can put whatever on it (and pretty much required with the lol 8GB on the 640).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There is a delay to everything. The paste icon appears eventually if you wait. Same with pictures, they take a while to index sometimes, and longer to show up on OneDrive. But it generally works. Better every update. Windows Pho 8 wasn't perfect either.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well I never used to have to charge my phone by noon, so WP8 had that going for it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't have to do that on my 640 with Bluetooth to my band and WiFi all day... And this is a cheap pos. I would check for something odd like weird pop3 email checks, stuck web syncs, and, well, hard reset it and see what happens.

If my screen is on for hours at a whack playing videos and such it will drain but not in my pocket all day :/

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Partycat posted:

I don't have to do that on my 640 with Bluetooth to my band and WiFi all day... And this is a cheap pos. I would check for something odd like weird pop3 email checks, stuck web syncs, and, well, hard reset it and see what happens.

If my screen is on for hours at a whack playing videos and such it will drain but not in my pocket all day :/

Yeah, I mean I've had 2 of these phones, and I've hard reset them both several times, and tried them each on various builds. I obsessively close all my open tabs on edge, and even leaving it in battery saver mode and having my 2 email accounts sync 2-4 hours doesn't help much. I also never have location on, which means I can never use Cortana. I have 3 weeks to return this thing and decide whether to get yet another 950, or finally just concede and buy my first iPhone.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Any reason/report of WP8.1 not syncing photos with Onedrive? Last photo synced last Sat or Sun (23/24 Jan). 640 dual sim, microSD, on wifi. I don't think an update has come through in the last couple days to ruin things in the obvious fashion.

EDIT: eh, seems to be back to working though I don't know why. There's still a hole of 2 days in the onedrive > pictures > camera roll folder for some raisin.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 26, 2016

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Anyone wanting to buy a tempered glass screen protector for their 950XL needs to watch out for what they are getting, i've spent around 30$ trying to get one that doesn't have the corners lift up and look ugly.

First one i bought was a Tagg (dont buy this poo poo)

I messaged the guys and got a replacement for it and that one also was lovely, it also did something to the sensor to turn the screen off when you made a call and was a pain in my rear end in a top hat. Messaged TAGG and said they products are faulty, never got anything back so don't buy any TAGG products.

Tried another brand Nuglas, same problems (forgot to take a picture) corners never stuck.

Bought another brand Nillikin, and its perfect and doesn't cover up any sensors and fits with my cover.

Picked the Nillikin one up for around 12$ on ebay.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Has the battery life on the 950xl settled down to something usable? I tried the 950 but had to return it after 2 days due to massive battery drain regardless of how many restarts or tricks I tried.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Depends on who you ask, a few patches after the release it settled into something usable, though still unimpressive, for me. A lot of other people in the thread still having more severe issues though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any folk with the 640XL on win10 can post about battery life? I'm still on 8.1 on this one (my 925 is fine finally on win10) and I don't want to risk my daily driver yet.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Any folk with the 640XL on win10 can post about battery life? I'm still on 8.1 on this one (my 925 is fine finally on win10) and I don't want to risk my daily driver yet.

Updating and installing apps takes a lot of battery. After that, I can get through the day with 40% left. I usually watch YouTube for 15-30 minutes, listen to music for the same amount, browse the forums, and send pictures to people.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

Updating and installing apps takes a lot of battery. After that, I can get through the day with 40% left. I usually watch YouTube for 15-30 minutes, listen to music for the same amount, browse the forums, and send pictures to people.

Updating and installing apps are still wonky on my 925, still using a build that is two months old or so, didn't bother updating it so I guess that is slightly better.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Tom Warren calls it. Time of Death: January 2016.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10864034/windows-phone-is-dead

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not sure who exactly didn't expect this result. They're probably relaunching with a Surface phone or some poo poo to distance themselves from the failure of the WP.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I am unsure how launching a WP phone would create distance from WP really.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Well it won't be WP. It's just a Windows.... Phone. Not Windows Phone... Phone.

So basically just a rebranding of it as an extension of Windows instead of a separate ecosystem.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Rebranding for marketing or whatever.

Edit: yeah what the previous post says

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2016

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
A friend of mine on Verizon finally gave in and picked up an iPhone 6s after having used Windows mobile/phone for a decade or so. Sure he has more apps now, but he has also expressed how frustrating the experience is when it comes to the UI and getting his work done.. He seriously misses the cohesion between work and personal that WP delivered, the at a glance info, etc. Since I don't live and die by apps and I see how annoyed he still is after two weeks, I'll be hanging on for another year and will see what comes. Apps are only used sometimes, but the phone UI/buttons/keyboard are used 100% of the time and I'm not sure I can sacrifice those pros (like he did) for some pro like "I can now use that one app once a week".

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

A friend of mine on Verizon finally gave in and picked up an iPhone 6s after having used Windows mobile/phone for a decade or so. Sure he has more apps now, but he has also expressed how frustrating the experience is when it comes to the UI and getting his work done.. He seriously misses the cohesion between work and personal that WP delivered, the at a glance info, etc. Since I don't live and die by apps and I see how annoyed he still is after two weeks, I'll be hanging on for another year and will see what comes. Apps are only used sometimes, but the phone UI/buttons/keyboard are used 100% of the time and I'm not sure I can sacrifice those pros (like he did) for some pro like "I can now use that one app once a week".

I've been playing around with WP10, and honestly it could probably be my daily driver at this point, I just don't want to pay the cash for a phone that isn't a 640. I hopped to iOS, but after the initial "OH HAY LOOK AT ALL THE APPS" time I found I really don't end up using very many.

Not sure if it's just blind hope or what, but UWP seem like they're actually pretty good and might do what Microsoft had hoped for, but yeah, timing is everything. :(

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I just don't get how calling it a Surface is going to change anything. And most people don't buy into WP devotees' "Well I don't really need these apps" rationalizations. Microsoft's only hope at this point would be to create something truly unique. Mobile phone technology is pretty run of the mill now and they've already missed their shot at taking part in the current status quo. They should just leave it alone until they come up with like hologram phones or some poo poo like that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

I just don't get how calling it a Surface is going to change anything. And most people don't buy into WP devotees' "Well I don't really need these apps" rationalizations. Microsoft's only hope at this point would be to create something truly unique. Mobile phone technology is pretty run of the mill now and they've already missed their shot at taking part in the current status quo. They should just leave it alone until they come up with like hologram phones or some poo poo like that.

I'm not saying it will. It just seems like that's what they're doing.

The Surface brand right now is pretty strong though, and there's a lot of people saying they want to see Microsoft put out one so maybe it will work. At most I think it's just having panos' team helming the design and development that is promising.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah. I did lol at this:

OldPueblo posted:

He seriously misses the cohesion between work and personal that WP delivered, the at a glance info, etc.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will say that now that I have access to the big wide world of Android apps I don't really find myself using them :shrug:

I was on Snapchat for a little while but eh

As for the game-changing tech they need to wait for, does this count?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

loquacius posted:

I will say that now that I have access to the big wide world of Android apps I don't really find myself using them :shrug:

I was on Snapchat for a little while but eh

As for the game-changing tech they need to wait for, does this count?

Couldn't agree more, when I was on an iPhone 4 temporarily whilst my 520 was getting repaired, Snapchat was pretty much the only app I used with any regularity that wasn't available on WP. And my god, I can't believe people pay good money to have to deal with poo poo like iCloud and Pages.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah. I did lol at this:

Can anyone else that has an iPhone expand upon what I mean? I know many people use the built-in email/calendar/contacts, but if you ignore those (for many reasons I've heard) and use the outlook app which is better for business type stuff then when people call his phone it just shows a phone number because there's no integration. It's all silo'd. So he then has to add his exchange account to the iPhone contacts silo, but that doesn't give him the address book lookup for the exchange network. Honestly part of it could be he just needs to find out the workarounds on the iPhone.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Are any of the newer cheap Windows phones any good? My 925 is getting a bit long in the tooth, especially in regards to battery life. I don't really want to spring for a flagship at the moment, so if any of the new ones can be roughly on the same level as the 925 I'd be happy. Glance screen would be really nice if possible.

e: I'm a T-Mobile user if that makes a difference.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

CubanMissile posted:

And most people don't buy into WP devotees' "Well I don't really need these apps" rationalizations.

Yeah, I used to think like this. Having used an iPhone for a while now, there are actually apps I do need and rely on that simply aren't on WP.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

Are any of the newer cheap Windows phones any good? My 925 is getting a bit long in the tooth, especially in regards to battery life. I don't really want to spring for a flagship at the moment, so if any of the new ones can be roughly on the same level as the 925 I'd be happy. Glance screen would be really nice if possible.

e: I'm a T-Mobile user if that makes a difference.

A 640 or 640 XL will cover your needs. I still like the camera on my 925 since it has dual flash led, but the 640XL's camera is quite decent. Is a shame that both the 830 and 735 were so expensive, I liked these two for mid range phones.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Can anyone else that has an iPhone expand upon what I mean? I know many people use the built-in email/calendar/contacts, but if you ignore those (for many reasons I've heard) and use the outlook app which is better for business type stuff then when people call his phone it just shows a phone number because there's no integration. It's all silo'd. So he then has to add his exchange account to the iPhone contacts silo, but that doesn't give him the address book lookup for the exchange network. Honestly part of it could be he just needs to find out the workarounds on the iPhone.

Even using social media apps to sync contacts us much worse in the iPhone. I have roughly 150 people on my phone that have contact picture, most of those are from Facebook. On the iPhone, Facebook synced 11. I could not manually add the contact photo from Facebook without saving it to the phone because the vast majority of my friends don't add their number to Facebook. The iPhone won't let me manually sync contacts from the Facebook app because...

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The default keyboard is also awful compared to Windows Phone. Also I've not been able to find any good apps that are able to stream your own music collection out of OneDrive.... if that's the kind of thing that is important to you.... just saying.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Both of those things are true. The keyboard is awful and there is a distinct lack of Harmony music on iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

The default keyboard is also awful compared to Windows Phone. Also I've not been able to find any good apps that are able to stream your own music collection out of OneDrive.... if that's the kind of thing that is important to you.... just saying.

I'm pretty sure the Android and iOS Groove Music apps can stream music from OneDrive now.