Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Titan posted:

Surprised there isn't more love being shown for Neil deGrasse Tyson dropping science all over the place. His mic drop was amazing.

This thread doesn't seem to like admitting it watches the Nightly Show. Still, that was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

This thread doesn't seem to like admitting it watches the Nightly Show. Still, that was pretty great.

Oh, was there a good part? I usually watch the first / sometimes second segment before switching over to Colbert, but whenever one of his sidekicks is playing one of their lovely unfunny characters I immediately tune out and they brought one of those like 3 minutes in last night.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

Or most of us really don't watch it.

I'm not sure even NDT can save Larry's shitshow but I'mm record the reair.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.complex.com/music/2016/01/neil-degrasse-tyson-demolished-bob-feud-the-nightly-show (go to 1:50)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regardless of reparations, Sanders' support among minorities is gently caress-awful.

Its why he's able to poll reasonably close to Clinton in lily-white Iowa and New Hamsphire, but is going to get Berned in Nevada (Clinton has a 30% lead) and South Carolina (40%).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That was pretty great but everything featuring Larry was about as funny as contracting full blown AIDS and having to buy that drug from that rear end in a top hat wall street guy for $1000.

Can they just give TNS to NDT? There would be no shortage of material for at least the next 10 months.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neil has StarTalk, which manages to be drier and more boring than TNS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Neil has StarTalk, which manages to be drier and more boring than TNS.

Yeah and Cosmos, which is remedial science for 8 year olds (which is a good thing to have don't get me wrong). He needs a show where he can burn idiots with science. But yeah Startalk is ambien.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Golden Girls theme really is the best.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Need more of that Bernie minority outreach.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Golden Girls theme really is the best.

Just edged out by the "I'm Black Ya'll" song from CB4 over an ad with zero black people in it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

haveblue posted:

I might be a little worse in thinking that Neil Degrasse Tyson is sometimes overrated, but gently caress if I didn't laugh my rear end off at that mic drop.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

zakharov posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

I'm an Extremely White Guy and this article changed my position on the issue completely.

This article made me angry in a good way. Did not know how hosed up Chicago was back then for example.

I don't understand how Bernie doesn't have the minority vote though. He's got the vote of everybody I know my age, he's got the vote of all my texas raised veteran friends, he's got the vote for a huge majority of our local college population.

I feel like the polls are just horridly skewed as they've always been. Selective polling to enforce the narrative these people want. Where else is the minority vote going to go? Not to trump, not to Hillary, surely.

Echo Chamber posted:

NDT's mic drop. That was amusing.

IRQ posted:

But yeah Startalk is ambien.

I love NDT, and listen to Startalk on my commute.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Daily Show segment about who would kill us faster Trump or Cruz was spot on.

The moment of Zen guy did bring a good point though, we need to Smite Fart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tried listening to StarTalk but it was pretty rare that he said something I didn't already know in the Q&A episodes (:chord:) and his co-hosts were annoying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You take that back. Eugene Mirman is a national treasure!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Daily Show segment about who would kill us faster Trump or Cruz was spot on.

The moment of Zen guy did bring a good point though, we need to Smite Fart.

Smite Fart Man was also the "Obama's A Pussy" Man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

M_Gargantua posted:

This article made me angry in a good way. Did not know how hosed up Chicago was back then for example.

I don't understand how Bernie doesn't have the minority vote though. He's got the vote of everybody I know my age, he's got the vote of all my texas raised veteran friends, he's got the vote for a huge majority of our local college population.

I feel like the polls are just horridly skewed as they've always been. Selective polling to enforce the narrative these people want. Where else is the minority vote going to go? Not to trump, not to Hillary, surely.

Bernie had a name recognition problem when you're talking about Hillary Clinton who was a high profile person 20 years ago and never really went away. Bernie has been pretty consistently marginalized so unless you were already buying what he was selling you didn't know who he was. In the last couple weeks I've had minority coworkers say hey that Bernie guy has the right idea*, so maybe the more exposure he gets the better he does? It's not like very many people are enthusiastic about Hillary.

* No I am not one of those annoying sanders evangelicals.

e: autocomplete badness

IRQ fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 30, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bernie's got the support of Killer Mike, so it's all good.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The standout moments for me this week were Carly Fiorina's anti-abortion stunt, Roy Wood Jr. wanting to bang a Golden Girl, and me cringing at Ronnie Chieng's gimmick. I can tell he can be utilized better and needs to stop the whole "abandoned son" schtick. It's dreadful. His same-sex marriage report was fine until he started with that poo poo.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

IRQ posted:

Bernie had a name recognition problem when you're talking about Hillary Clinton who was a high profile person 20 years ago and never really went away. Bernie has been pretty consistently marginalized so unless you were already buying what he was selling you didn't know who he was. In the last couple weeks I've mad minority coworkers say hey that Bernie guy has the right idea*, so many the more exposure he gets the better he does? It's not like very many people are enthusiastic about Hillary.

Even Bill Maher referred to Bernie as "Barney Frank" for an entire episode once, and he's tied his paycheck-having existence to politics.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Colbert recycled the classic "Governor Bush vs President Bush" debate bit for pitting Trump vs Trump. Worked well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Steve Vader posted:

Colbert recycled the classic "Governor Bush vs President Bush" debate bit for pitting Trump vs Trump. Worked well.
Trump knows he has even less need than Dubya to be consistent. Trump's campaign has fueled entirely by feeding the beasts. (The base and the news cycle.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Bernie had a name recognition problem when you're talking about Hillary Clinton who was a high profile person 20 years ago and never really went away. Bernie has been pretty consistently marginalized so unless you were already buying what he was selling you didn't know who he was. In the last couple weeks I've had minority coworkers say hey that Bernie guy has the right idea*, so maybe the more exposure he gets the better he does? It's not like very many people are enthusiastic about Hillary.

e: autocomplete badness

Somebody I know has been talking about how she is voting for Hillary based upon how "Bernie bros" act online. I'm sure there's some insufferable contingent of Sanders supporters as there is for every candidate, but is it to a Ron Paul-ish degree where they've earned a label for themselves?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If my brief foray into the election subforum was any indication, Clinton supporters seem to view Sanders supporters with nothing short of complete contempt. The feeling seems to be entirely mutual.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 30, 2016

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
These articles are both relevant to things being discussed.

Bernie Supporters being sexist gently caress heads: http://mashable.com/2016/01/29/bernie-sanders-berniebros/#Z_ubT7lcrmqX

Bernie Sanders and the minority vote: http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Hillary-Clinton

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

M_Gargantua posted:

Never has someone complained about how skewed the polling aggregate is and been accurate. Also the idea that minorities hate Clinton is just silly. Is Bernie a better option for them? That is the opinion of quite a few people and is not a wrong opinion to have. But Hillary isn't bad for them and she does have more of a political history with minorities readily available for consumption.

Remember that in 2008 she was crushing Obama with minorities until after he won Iowa. There's lots and lots of factors that converge into Clinton starting off with a majority share of the minority vote, not least of which is that she's far better known. There is no conspiracy or trickery involved. As a whole, minority groups currently favor Clinton over Sanders.

raditts posted:

Somebody I know has been talking about how she is voting for Hillary based upon how "Bernie bros" act online. I'm sure there's some insufferable contingent of Sanders supporters as there is for every candidate, but is it to a Ron Paul-ish degree where they've earned a label for themselves?

Yes, especially in the beginnings of the argument that Bernie had issues with minorities. It was cringworthy even beyond the usual levels of idiocy exhibited by hard core supporters of a politician. When the Black Live Matter ladies took the stage in protest before his speech on medicare in, I think, Seattle it just went insane. Imagine a bunch of rich, young, white college kids angrily explaining to Black and Latino people why they were wrong for not feeling the Bern. On Twitter.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, that Golden Girls bit was hilarious.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Golden Girls was actually a decent show for its time, right?

It's not one of those lovely shows that people keep looking back on fondly like Full House or Saved by the Bell?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Echo Chamber posted:

It's not one of those lovely shows that people keep looking back on fondly like Full House or Saved by the Bell?

I've always thought it was lovely but I don't think I was ever it's target audience. I'd lump it in with those, personally.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Echo Chamber posted:

Yes, it was. Full House and Saved By The Bell were trash but kids who watched them didn't know any better and thus loved them.

Golden Girls is an 80s sitcom, sure, so you have to allow for that. but it still holds up pretty well. Bea Arthur could kill you with a look and didn't even need the zingers. I enjoy watching it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I used to enjoy watching reruns of it when such at home on summer afternoons with nothing better on between Who's the Boss and whatever else they used to show. It's the second best tv theme I can recite verbatim behind Fresh Prince.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Give it a shot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Golden Girls was solid. Showrunner Susan Harris also made Soap which ruled.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mission Accomplished indeed, Jeb.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

raditts posted:

Awfully convienient that this narrative is being pushed in favor of a candidate whose messaging seems to be exclusively "Hey guys, I know I'm basically a Republican with an insatiable lust for power, but wouldn't it be neat to have a woman president?"

I mean, for gently caress's sake, you've got a guy who marched for civil rights before it was the hip thing to do versus Hillary Clinton. Why would any self respecting progressive hitch their wagon to her based on some mean old Tweets from some anonymous douche you'll never meet or ever see again?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Berniebros meme is more effective at attacking Befnie from the left than calling out his lukewarm gun control effort. Otherwise, they got nothing that hasn't been used eight years ago against Obama.

I remembered that during the Month of Zen marathon how people in D&D forgot just how vicious Clintons were willing to get to stop Obama. They even played the whole "my opponent would make a great VP" card but when a Bernie staffer said the same thing a few months ago...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Awfully convienient that this narrative is being pushed in favor of a candidate whose messaging seems to be exclusively "Hey guys, I know I'm basically a Republican with an insatiable lust for power, but wouldn't it be neat to have a woman president?"

Why can't people just admit that Hillary actually is an American liberal? She's not the model liberal, but the idea that she's just a DINO looking to satiate her power fetish is ridiculous. There's shitloads more to actually attack her on than stupid Shillary the stealth Republican weaksauce.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gyges posted:

Why can't people just admit that Hillary actually is an American liberal? She's not the model liberal, but the idea that she's just a DINO looking to satiate her power fetish is ridiculous. There's shitloads more to actually attack her on than stupid Shillary the stealth Republican weaksauce.

I wouldn't go as far as to call her a stealth Republican but her being a massive shill is the main reason I've never been fond of her. What are some examples of the other shitloads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Well ok then 2 things. If Hillary is what passes for a liberal (liberal and democrat are not the same thing) in this country we have some huge loving problems we have some huge loving problems. And in what ways is she not a say-anything power hungry corporate shill? Bill was too, for what it's worth.

Bernie is believable, which at least gives him a leg up even if I wasn't even further to the left than he is.

e: not saying she wouldn't be better than anything out of the clown car.

• Locked thread