Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Solarin posted:

Lowtax should offer free accounts with proof of a banned/perma-probated RSI account and give them the Paarp-age Dick av to keep track of them (sorry BeefThief)

Woah, woah, woah. Let's not go that far. $5 dollar discount off a new account is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can't someone who reads this thread religiously set up a twitter, Facebook or something that's basically "this happened in the SC thread the last 24 hours"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Can't someone who reads this thread religiously set up a twitter, Facebook or something that's basically "this happened in the SC thread the last 24 hours"

http://www.twitter.com/dsmart

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

nooooo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
A Brief History of Star Citizen

In 1990, Chris Roberts introduced the original Wing Commander, an homage to Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, to critical acclaim. The game was a flight simulator that included several types of branching missions, diplomacy, treasure-hunting, an Infocom-style text parser, and was one of the first commercial games to simultaneously use all 16 colors on the Commodore 64.

Over the years, many more titles were released, all named Wing Commander, but each taking place in its own universe and with its own characters. There was some confusion between the American and Japanese releases, due to some games never making it to the States; i.e. Wing Commander IV in Japan is Wing Commander II stateside. The combat systems remained familiar, as well as the catchy music and colorful boss fights, which required you to carefully balance when you used your lasers, and when you used your healing elixirs.

In 2010, Chris Roberts began crowdfunding for Wing Commander VII: Star Citizen, shortened to just Star Citizen by fans. Over the years, Chris has expanded the scope of the project, inspired by other game properties such as Elite: Dangerous and Line of Defense. So far he has raised over $100 million USD for this new title. Features include "Warp Zones", hidden areas that allow to you jump several levels ahead, a "hyperspace" ability that makes you disappear from one point and reappear some distance away at a randomly-chosen location, and dialogue-trees similar to the Mass Effect series. Also included are several levels of ship weapon and armor upgrades that allow you to take on increasingly powerful enemies. All ships start with green armor, but as you progress though the game, you can unlock blue ship armor, which cuts damage by 50%, and eventually red armor, which cuts damage by 75%.

Perhaps the most exciting feature in Wing Commander VII: Star Citizen is the introduction of a new game mechanic, internally referred to as "multiplayer". In such a setup, rather than the traditional method of players taking turns to fly their ship, two players can play in the same area at once - a technically impressive feature which was inspired by the Battlecruiser line of games.

No functional mechanics have been implemented at the time of this writing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Can't stop these weekly update emails.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Amazingly enough that post has positive karma.

There has been a very noticeable shift in the community after Star Marine. More people upset, negative stuff not reflexively dismissed, lots of pissed off whales. It's only going to get worse too.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

i often thought elite dangerous should offer big discounts to star citizen refugees to try and hook em in.

I love the idea of the entire gaming community rallying behind the rubes when this melts down. They need support so their self loathing at being fooled can be properly directed at CRobb and wife

Really seems like a feel good ending to this movie

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TTerrible posted:

I don't think TommyNoble would last long here. By RSI standards he is a total heretic but the fact that a "senior software engineer" didn't get a refund in November or whatever speaks volumes about how deluded they still are. :(
In the current RSI forum environment, TommyNoble doesn't actually seem to be a heretic. I saw around half a dozen RSI posters agreeing whole-heartedly with one of the last TommyNoble posts that I posted here.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

There has been a very noticeable shift in the community after Star Marine. More people upset, negative stuff not reflexively dismissed, lots of pissed off whales. It's only going to get worse too.

its not immediately obvious to most people I think, but a lot of people here have commented it seems like there has been a tipping point and i for one am glad of it

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tortolia posted:

I think we are going to hit 2000 pages by Valentines Day. :pgabz:

Should the shitpost hypetrain begin moving now?

I figure. if we do this, then as we get nearer to 2000, we will all start to get bored and disapointed, and for the briefest of moments we may understand what the True Believers will feel, even if its only a small fraction of the disapointment they suffer on a daily basis. And then, we will hit 2000 and everyone here will be happy and excited because we did a thing with a lot of posts and actually achieved something. It will be with great elation that we come to the understanding that hitting the 2000 mark will mean we have done more than CiG can ever do. And the best part: We had fun until the boring and then we had the fun back again!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Eonwe posted:

its not immediately obvious to most people I think, but a lot of people here have commented it seems like there has been a tipping point and i for one am glad of it

Just like the Paoening was a tipping point for Reddit...

CIG will do some damage control and everything will be back to usual in a week.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can't stop these weekly update emails.

In all seriousness, you cant. Ive marked them as spam in gmail every time i get one and they STILL get through the filter. I wonder how much CiG is paying google to do this.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I'm surprised you didn't work in a point about unsolicited dick pics being ok

Please send me all unsolicited gash pics please

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CIG have been completely transparent

Projection

Misunderstanding the purpose of the "Concern" forum

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AugmentedVision posted:

It might look like it's back to normal on the surface, but underneath will be another story. Chris's handling of Star Marine was a grave misstep, and he's lost the blind faith of a good segment of the community. Now the people who might have defended him in the past will be looking for the next lie, and be more sensitive to it than they might have two weeks ago. This community is definitely much more volatile than before. Unless CIG starts walking on eggshells, the next walkback will have an even more pronounced effect than this one.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

It might look like it's back to normal on the surface, but underneath will be another story. Chris's handling of Star Marine was a grave misstep, and he's lost the blind faith of a good segment of the community. Now the people who might have defended him in the past will be looking for the next lie, and be more sensitive to it than they might have two weeks ago. This community is definitely much more volatile than before. Unless CIG starts walking on eggshells, the next walkback will have an even more pronounced effect than this one.

People are rumbling about the unmelt tokens too

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Daztek posted:

People are rumbling about the unmelt tokens too
They're also grumbling about G-forces not affecting passengers.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

this

plus they have no choice but to continue slowly walking stuff back unless some sort of january miracle has given them a functioning engine and a product

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

They had a couple of opportunities to do some damage control already and did nothing. EightAce says they're not concerned at all. I think CIG management are happy in their little reality distortion bubble and don't even know there is a problem. Some communitiy manager isn't going to say to Crobber or the Lich Queen that they hosed up and need to eat some crow on camera. More than their job is worth I'd imagine.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I want to see one of the turbowhales order something at McDonalds.

"I bought two burgers, and I paid $2,000 for them to show my support to the organisation! So far I've only been given one of the burgers, and it doesn't have any meat or any other fillings. This is normal, however, and if you knew anything about food production, you would know that things change during the development process. Personally, I am extremely impressed with McDonalds' progress so far!

Some people might tell you that this is unacceptable, and that I should have had both of my burgers by now, but those people are in league with the evil Burger King! In fact, I'm going to go on twitter and tell the Burger King to kill himself or die of cancer, brb"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

Derek this is a very interesting radio broadcast. Especially the part about dynamic entity destruction.

I did Dynamic Entity Destruction decades ago. Here is a Google search of the term (I coined it) being discussed as far back as 2000. On UseNet!!

Basically:

The model is constructed such that the parts that make it up, can be separated

Then you implement code that when the object is destroyed, you do the following:

1) call a function that separates all the parts used to construct the model
2) call your explosion routine. This is where you hide what's going on in #3
3) replace the base model with the destroyed version (during the explosion sequence in #2 above

Depending on how complex the models are, you can get away with it because the explosions mask the swap

This is what I do in BC/UC games when you destroy a building on the planet, station etc. You replace one model with the other.

Anyone playing any version of my game (e.g. the freeware UCCE on Steam) can try it by doing this.

1) edit the shortcut and add /opt_cheats_on to the shortcut to enable cheat mode
2) start a ROAM game scenario as Commander with a carrier or cruiser, then launch
3) target the GALCOM HQ station so that it is visible in the VDD display (lower right)
4) press F10 for an external cam view of the model
5) press ALT+X to destroy it

Once destroyed, a few ticks later after the explosion, the destroyed version will appear. Then if you do several taps of SHIFT+T (elapse time) a few times while viewing the destroyed (and textured as such) model, you can see it gradually being rebuilt, all the way back to full functionality. At 100% completion, the DeD system replaces the previously destroyed model with the default (all OK) version.

In the case of Star Citizen, well, they screwed it up because:

1) The models are so complex that it takes time to load/replace the models. And it's quickly evident in low processing machines where the switch can clearly be seen

2) They don't plan for when the model is completely blown up and to update it's position. That's why you can see the original model bits flying off, then the same model (looking damaged), sitting on the platform. In fact, all they're doing is respawning the destroyed model when it shouldn't even be there.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 31, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
In 2015, German Auditors collected records of every past and present System Lord, but their intelligence on Croberts ended after the burying of the Ancient Egyptian Stargate. Believing that he had been unable to escape Earth, Beer4TheBeerGod returned to seek Goons aid in locating him.

Dr. Derek Smart discovered that Croberts had spent most of his time on Earth forming various cults, among them one where he impersonated the god Typhon in ancient Greece and a suicide cult in England near Stonehenge during the eighteenth century where his worshipers had died after slitting their own throats but Croberts's body was never found. Derek then tracked his most recent operation to a small group living just outside of Hollywood, and learning his latest human host was the coincidentally named Chris Roberts.

Despite being stranded on Earth, Croberts retained an impressive cache of Alien spaceship pictures. He had enough money and Restoration Hardware furniture to supply a small army, a personal chef, as well as a set of motion capture studios. He also had a significant supply of stretchgoals, which he used to brainwash people into serving him. He also worried about the FTC and the Goons trying to hunt him down, despite having spent 5,000 years isolated from any contact with either group.

Goons with the assistance of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, manage to infiltrate the Cult of Croberts and break his influence over his followers by shooting them with an IMDB ray. Croberts attempted to blend in with his worshipers and escape through the underground tunnel, but Beer4TheBeerGod sensed his presence and removed his hood. Croberts uses his VP of Marketing on Beer who throws him against the wall. Beer gives his last unmelt token to Star Marine Octopode who chases Croberts and uses the token to crush his midsection, resulting in Croberts's death at long last.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

It's hilarious seeing the lamentations of posters like Lethality and voodoochild as their hug-boxes gradually collapse.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

alf_pogs posted:

this

plus they have no choice but to continue slowly walking stuff back unless some sort of january miracle has given them a functioning engine and a product

It was a confoundingly ill advised tone to take regardless of the circumstances. But to decide to roll the dice on dismissing inquiries after Star Marine in the manner that he did on the eve of a year of walking back on feature after feature as they work themselves over in the hope of getting a passable version of S42 out the door by Q1 2017 was just mind boggling.

It really shows that there's no one at CIG who can look at something like that and say "holy poo poo no this is bad add in another question about birds or something." before they pull the trigger on releasing it into the wild. It would be pretty wild to believe that their inner core is so cynical as to think that their apologists could really whitewash such a statement and redirect the full tide of murmuring towards antipathy for "a certain group/smart". There are simply too many regular rank and file pledgers who have been watching the Star Marine saga for the past year(s).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

In all seriousness, you cant. Ive marked them as spam in gmail every time i get one and they STILL get through the filter. I wonder how much CiG is paying google to do this.

gently caress it, I'll stick it to the man by posting screencaps on SA yeah!! :jiggled:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

In 2015, German Auditors collected records of every past and present System Lord, but their intelligence on Croberts ended after the burying of the Ancient Egyptian Stargate. Believing that he had been unable to escape Earth, Beer4TheBeerGod returned to seek Goons aid in locating him.

Dr. Derek Smart discovered that Croberts had spent most of his time on Earth forming various cults, among them one where he impersonated the god Typhon in ancient Greece and a suicide cult in England near Stonehenge during the eighteenth century where his worshipers had died after slitting their own throats but Croberts's body was never found. Derek then tracked his most recent operation to a small group living just outside of Hollywood, and learning his latest human host was the coincidentally named Chris Roberts.

Despite being stranded on Earth, Croberts retained an impressive cache of Alien spaceship pictures. He had enough money and Restoration Hardware furniture to supply a small army, a personal chef, as well as a set of motion capture studios. He also had a significant supply of stretchgoals, which he used to brainwash people into serving him. He also worried about the FTC and the Goons trying to hunt him down, despite having spent 5,000 years isolated from any contact with either group.

Goons with the assistance of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, manage to infiltrate the Cult of Croberts and break his influence over his followers by shooting them with an IMDB ray. Croberts attempted to blend in with his worshipers and escape through the underground tunnel, but Beer4TheBeerGod sensed his presence and removed his hood. Croberts uses his VP of Marketing on Beer who throws him against the wall. Beer gives his last unmelt token to Star Marine Octopode who chases Croberts and uses the token to crush his midsection, resulting in Croberts's death at long last.

I'm not sure what I just read but it's great

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I too don't have the patients.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, I listened to the first 30 mins or so, and I remember it now... It's where she fluffed over details about her 'masters'.

And they probably pulled it because Sandi realised she said lots of easily provable lies, and she persuaded them to remove it.

It's at the 18:45 mark

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I haven't felt the need to shitpost on /r/starcitizen since my account was banned. I have 3 socks ready to jump in... but I've noticed that they are starting to fight amongst themselves now, which is good. I don't need to lift a finger.

I really think Crobber's fuckup with SM, the unmelt token saga, 28GB weekly downloads and the continued buggy unplayable mess has given a lot of people a wake-up call.

I can't wait for the next 10FTC episode :) I can bet you that he'll address some of these issues in his magical special snowflake way.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:pgabz: is my hero

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

The only thing that will assuage the community is progress. Unfortunately that's the one thing CIG can't provide in any meaningful amount. Meanwhile their community staff is hopelessly out of touch and outright derisive, Chris himself is impossibility obstinate, and their entire focus remains on revenue.

Here's a fun question I want CIG to answer:

"If Squadron 42 does not sell well will there still be enough money to finish Star Citizen?"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The luster of the PU alpha and 'pupil to planet' video seems like it has run out. I'm guessing the next thing shown to keep backers happy will be some clips of cut scenes from SQ42, but I don't think anybody besides Ben and Roberts actually care about SQ42.

Also, I find it hilarious that they keep trotting CR in front of a camera even though he constantly sticks his foot in his mouth and has the charisma of a turnip. I'm just sad that, based on the Beer/Sandi emails, there probably won't be any more of footage of Chris trying to play his game.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

This isn't aimed at Daztek specifically, I'm seeing it a lot, can we please keep plat-spoilers down to a minimum?

A hidden forum doesn't stay hidden very long if people keep mentioning it and if these idiots will drop thousands of dollars on a jpeg sooner or later one of them will drop a few dollars for plat and then bam, they post all the op info and dodgy poo poo onto the derek smart reddit or whatever. And then we need to do another loving molehunt.

I know it's convenient but seriously please don't advertise the plat thread. We're all checking both anyway.

Can someone PM me the link to the hidden forums? You can check my post history here, I'm one of the good ones.

e: thanks beer4thebeergod

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 31, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Starship troopers is on :allears: haven't watched it in years.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Starship troopers is on :allears: haven't watched it in years.

Guarantee you that 99% of SC backers think that the book is amazing but the movie sucks.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

are we done yet? did we win the 'verse? ruin everything?

FTFY
And no, but soon.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/chris-roberts-back-in-the-game/1100-2452393/

Make some popcorn and read everything tagged under Freelancer.

D_Smart posted:

2) They don't plan for when the model is completely blown up and to update it's position. That's why you can see the original model bits flying off, then the same model (looking damaged), sitting on the platform. In fact, all they're doing is respawning the destroyed model when it shouldn't even be there.

What's weird is that all of this is there in Freelancer. Blowing up a ship and replacing it with junk isn't cutting edge.

I was slightly impressed with the gibs appearing in an appropriate location but that was quickly eclipsed by the issues that you raised. The failure of inertia, compensating for objects like the crew being left suspended in space and the obvious issue of creating a system that's so intensive as to overburden your demo machine to the extent that your handwavium special effects can clearly be observed through the explosions that are meant to mask them culminated into the product of some really odd decisions.

What I find interesting is their constant struggle with nursing the number of available resources in any given action. Ships cannot be spawned, the creation of gibs is a number crunching game. How that will translate when there's actually a great deal of things taking place within an environment, such as what I have to imagine are the ultimate goals for S42, without it looking like a hot mess or needing to be completely dumbed down is beyond me.

It seems to me that the creation of secondary gibs is only important if you want to create spinning independent parts and don't have the ability to chop a ship up meaningfully using a normal damage system. Having an explosion that kills the main reactor and damages locally but otherwise leaves the original ship functionally present strikes me as a better way to approach the secondary MMO game of looting/whatever we're supposed to be doing with the salvage side of things. Plug people would love being able to walk around inside of/escape a ship that popped its core and is basically burnt and dead in the water.

But I guess walking back on those sorts of ideas are also as old as Freelancer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

Guarantee you that 99% of SC backers think that the book is amazing but the movie sucks.

"Lol I can't believe that idiot let the bug eat his brain. If that was me I would have shot it with my crossbow, then cut it in twain with my katana" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

AugmentedVision posted:

Taping it now, the only things I can remember from memory are the firing range, tits in the shower, and the guy getting his brains sucked out.

• Locked thread