Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You don't have to kill yourself to teleport anymore? This makes traveling sound less annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
They also added two new sprint levels, up to Sprint 6. And there are gimmicks for the 6th Spring as well, like motorcycles and hoverboards, I think you can run so fast poo poo catches on fire as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Propagandist posted:

One more thing to mention that ties into the whole mob density issue: you can now teleport to any anima well. So instead of literally having to run across the zone through all of the mobs, you can bounce around and skip ak'ab nests and poo poo.

Like the person above said, that's not really new, they just made it more obvious and less annoying (originally you'd kill yourself with a console command and select where to rez instead).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

not forgetting to strip naked beforehand or pay a repair bill

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

They for some reason just removed the movement impairing effect from all builders with cast times. So like you can cast Safety Off or something over and over without being snared. I thought that was pretty nice of them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Propagandist posted:

They for some reason just removed the movement impairing effect from all builders with cast times. So like you can cast Safety Off or something over and over without being snared. I thought that was pretty nice of them.

Oh God that would mess with my brain.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Toshimo posted:

Oh God that would mess with my brain.

Its going to be changes for PVP. What happened is Anima Shot got a movement impairing effect and people complained. They explained the change about somethign something pvp.

So Melee classes can expect to see some more movement affecting abilities (Rush forwards, etc etc) and ranged classes will lose the movement impairing effects that fire off when they use their builders.

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?95245-I13-1-patch-note-discussion&p=1985626&viewfull=1#post1985626

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

The changes have already taken place, and it's not just for PVP. Patch notes

Normally there has been a difference between builders with cast times (you walk slower while "casting") and ones without (walk at the same speed). People tended to migrate towards more instant-cast abilities when possible, even in PVE, so that you can continue to DPS and avoid standing in fire. That said, in many cases the instant-cast ability turns out to be effectively inferior. A great example of this is Hip Fire vs. Safety Off. Hip fire is instant, but doesn't have a subtype, hits only once, and has only a 10m range. People like to use that on bosses like NKL-107 in Slaughterhouse where it's more important to continue to move. Otherwise, Safety Off just ends up being better.

Some of the PVP crowd seemed to want a nerf to Anima Shot, so Funcom put a cast time on it instead of degrading it in a myriad of other ways. Since their mechanics mean that cast-time abilities effectively snare you, the vocal you-see-them-every-match PVP minority pitched a fit. Now they've changed the mechanics and people seem to be pleased. I don't quite understand how the addition of the cast time to the ability really affects it now, though.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Apparently, with the cast, the healing comes at the end of the gcd and not the beginning as it used to. Haven't tested that myself, but someone was complaining about it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, what's the Goon presence in this game like right now? I played the poo poo out of it from launch unit some time during issue 8 and I want to pick it up again with a new character and go through though all the cool old story stuff + the Tokyo stuff. Also some Nightmare mode dungeons when I can. I read the OP but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Don't think there's anything organized. People just log in occasionally and do stuff on their own, at least the hand full of people I do other things with. In fairness that is what the vast majority of the game is best suited for.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Just made a Templar named "Shattersword" because all the names I could think of were taken AND I couldn't think of any good names. Just watched literally the first two cutscenes (Get your powers and get recruited, show up at faction city) and drat I forgot how much I like the writing in this game. :allears:. My laptop is a loving mess though and can't run it as well as it used to. This is probably because I need to dust the drat thing, so I'll have to go get some compressed air at some point today and fix that (and also buy a new laptop soon).

I joined #Noobmares, #Sanctuary, and #Awful. Haven't resubbed yet cuz I want to make sure my laptop doesn't poo poo the bed playing it. It shouldn't, I used to play TSW on it, but like I said, I don't think this PC is in good shape.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Make sure to add #event too if you want to get in on the ingame event currently running. Nothing particularly special, just shooting a golden golem at 1fps for about a minute a go. It's decent xp with a chance at cool items. KG has the best mission text for it, naturally, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You killed what?".

Just getting around to the "Further Analysis" set of missions. Immersion is cool, but imperfect. Like, great concept and it instantly gets you to visualize where you are, but it's spread across multiple games were one or two larger ones would probably be more fun, imo. Also, not a big fan of not having a list of commands. Took me a while to determine that I needed "use x with y" and not "use x and y". Aldini's mission was decent, but pretty straightforward. Looking forward to the remaining ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Best way to handle the golem events is to tag the golem then gently caress off to a different part of the zone and idle/do missions.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What sort of latency is considered normal for this game? I'm really enjoying the writing and setting, but community discussion makes it sound like 30-second drops are completely normal and to be factored into raid strategies.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Depends on where you are. Usually a bit on the high side though, mine is above 100 from Europe which is above average for American servers. Friend of mine from Australia can get either side of unplayable depending on the time of day and other poo poo.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I joined #Noobmares, #Sanctuary, and #Awful. Haven't resubbed yet cuz I want to make sure my laptop doesn't poo poo the bed playing it. It shouldn't, I used to play TSW on it, but like I said, I don't think this PC is in good shape.
There isn't really any reason to sub these days, to be honest. It gets you a discount in the store, the cosmetic item of the month, 1200 funbux a month, and you get an AP boost milkshake. That's about it.

CommunityEdition posted:

What sort of latency is considered normal for this game? I'm really enjoying the writing and setting, but community discussion makes it sound like 30-second drops are completely normal and to be factored into raid strategies.
I get around 80-100ms in the US. I haven't found latency to be a problem. You will experience some lag when fighting a world boss, since the zone will be full to the brim with players smacking the pinata. I've had some god awful event-boss fights with 1-second lag, and others where I don't notice anything is different. That's the only place I've had any sort of trouble with lag. I can't speak to raids, since I've never actually been in one.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Thanks guys, lag doesn't seem to be nearly as bad now as the first couple times I tried.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

From Japan/Aus it's often over 250ms and that's just high enough to be pretty annoying while doing NMs

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Group finder and Shambala is out now. Haven't had time to log in, how is the new PVP instance?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I finished The Park.

Am I wrong in thinking that the weird poo poo that happens to the character in that is pretty much what normal people go through when they visit Atlantic Island Park or pretty much the supernatural in general?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Funcom is working on a new MMO! A survival one.

Conan Exiles.

Kessel posted:

I once ran across two people having sex in the back of the Kingsmouth airport. That's my TSW RP story peace out

Airports are sexy.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 29, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This looks like some MSPaint poo poo, not the work of a company in sound financial shape:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Toshimo posted:

This looks like some MSPaint poo poo, not the work of a company in sound financial shape:

:ohdear: Please don't kill Secret World funcom.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

:laffo:

yeah sounds healthy...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Oh boy this doesn't sound good.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

...So, uh, I better buy those Funcom Funbux and poopsock my way through those issues, eh? :ohdear:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, despite the ominous sounding recent posts, I figure I might as well ask a few questions anyway. I have some friends who are trying to get me into this game, and granted from what I've read it does sound very much my sort of thing with the setting since I love Horror and am a History major/Archaeology Minor so all the appropriate tidbits with puzzles and problem solving sound awesome. I figured to research the hell out of it first anyway. I have already read the first page and the last 20 pages of this thread.

1) How friendly is the game to soloing? It's not that I'm anti-social and avoid grouping like the black plague, it's more from past experiences with these friends, there is a distinct possibility that they'll play like mad for a few months, then drop it altogether and I'm just thinking absolute worst case scenario and I can't find a group to save my rear end.

2) How is the learning curve in this game? I picked up LOTRO, WoW, STO, Marvel Heroes, and SWTOR pretty quick, not so much on DDO but that's more because I'm not too particular about 3.5 rules. Champions Online and DC Online, I grasped the basics but I don't know, just thinking of doing more than what I have there leaves me "meh". I don't plan on doing any PvP or raids, and dungeons really depend on my mood.

3) Even though it doesn't seem to be buildcentric like other games, is it possible to make a build so lovely that it's near impossible to play?

I'll probably have more questions as they come to me but this is it for now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You can play the vast majority of things alone if you want to, I would in fact recommend doing so to experience the story at your own pace. It's not super hard to learn but you should look up some builds to make your life easier because while it is not possible to gently caress yourself over since you can pick up everything eventually a good build or at least one of the in game decks will make your life far easier. Not that the decks are super good but they are all at least workable.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tenzarin posted:

It's like Survivor except it's their mmos voting each other off the island fighting for funding

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, despite the ominous sounding recent posts, I figure I might as well ask a few questions anyway. I have some friends who are trying to get me into this game, and granted from what I've read it does sound very much my sort of thing with the setting since I love Horror and am a History major/Archaeology Minor so all the appropriate tidbits with puzzles and problem solving sound awesome. I figured to research the hell out of it first anyway. I have already read the first page and the last 20 pages of this thread.

1) How friendly is the game to soloing? It's not that I'm anti-social and avoid grouping like the black plague, it's more from past experiences with these friends, there is a distinct possibility that they'll play like mad for a few months, then drop it altogether and I'm just thinking absolute worst case scenario and I can't find a group to save my rear end.

2) How is the learning curve in this game? I picked up LOTRO, WoW, STO, Marvel Heroes, and SWTOR pretty quick, not so much on DDO but that's more because I'm not too particular about 3.5 rules. Champions Online and DC Online, I grasped the basics but I don't know, just thinking of doing more than what I have there leaves me "meh". I don't plan on doing any PvP or raids, and dungeons really depend on my mood.

3) Even though it doesn't seem to be buildcentric like other games, is it possible to make a build so lovely that it's near impossible to play?

I'll probably have more questions as they come to me but this is it for now.

1) This game is unironically one of the best urban rpgs. It just so happens that they wanted to make an mmo but you could play the whole game solo and have a blast. It's definitely worth grouping up and doing the dungeons if you have time though. They're thematic and you just go from boss to boss. If you love history/archaeology and horror then this is a good game for you.

2) The learning curve is about the same for any MMO. It's just an issue of learning to not stand in stuff that will damage you.

3) The difficulty ramps up about 1/4 of the way in. You need to figure out a build that has enough synergy and tricks to down mobs and bosses. There's plenty of starter guides floating around and if you gently caress up your build, you can always go back, do a couple more missions and respec without having to reroll your character.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Okay, next questions.

1) Is Lifetime sub worth it and what's the deal with this Grandmaster thing? I do have a Lifetime sub to STO that I got around the time it went f2p because I lucked out and got it on sale since I had the money. For how long that's been, it's pretty much paid for itself at this point.

2) How is the player community? I know there will always be Genchat's just like Barrens chat but with less Chuck Norris jokes, but like with SWTOR there's some definite hostility towards newbies and especially between the Glorious Subscriber Master Race and the unwashed f2p masses or with DC Online I think chat was nothing but goldspammers last time I remember logging in.

3) With the Issues/DLC, are there any not worth picking up or should all of them get picked up eventually?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

M_Sinistrari posted:

Okay, next questions.

1) Is Lifetime sub worth it and what's the deal with this Grandmaster thing? I do have a Lifetime sub to STO that I got around the time it went f2p because I lucked out and got it on sale since I had the money. For how long that's been, it's pretty much paid for itself at this point.

2) How is the player community? I know there will always be Genchat's just like Barrens chat but with less Chuck Norris jokes, but like with SWTOR there's some definite hostility towards newbies and especially between the Glorious Subscriber Master Race and the unwashed f2p masses or with DC Online I think chat was nothing but goldspammers last time I remember logging in.

3) With the Issues/DLC, are there any not worth picking up or should all of them get picked up eventually?

1. I got a lifetime sub at launch. I might actually get my full money's worth out of it before they pull the plug. It was a bad purchasing decision, but at the time they were promising new content monthly along with fairies and rainbows. There is no way in hell anyone getting a lifetime sub today will get their money's worth out of it.

2. Actually the community I've played with has been extremely accommodating of new people. This is a game that people who play it generally like it, so they're happy to share it with others since the overall player count is so anemic. Just need to go to the Sanctuary chat channel. The general one is useless.

3. Generally speaking all of the DLC for the game has been pretty good in quality. They've varied in their focus though. Earlier ones were mostly focused mission packs with a central theme. Like one was an Indiana Jones-style story, one was a James Bond-type spy thing, etc. The later ones have all been centered around Tokyo and continue the main narrative.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah at this point lifetime seems like a pretty bad idea. Not as bad as STO lifetime at any point in history but still.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Okay, next questions.

Scenarios are issue 8 I think? Skip that piece of trash.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
They've also changed the subscription rewards to make subscribing more lucrative.

Details from Reddit on it:
A 30% increase to all Experience earned. (This replaces the Time Accelerator)
A 50% boost to all Black Bullions gained.
20% extra capacity for Black Bullions and Marks of the Pantheon.
8-hour Mission Cooldowns.
18-hour Raid Lockout Timers.
2 Lockout Timer Resets every 30 days. This item resets all active Cooldowns (Missions/Raids/Scenarios).
A 10% storewide discount for everything in the item shop (20% for Grand Masters).
1200 Bonus Points every 30 days.
Free Anima Leaps!

It was mentioned elsewhere, but the extra BB rounds up. So if the mission rewards 1BB, subscribers will get 2BB.

I'm sure some people will be real salty about this, but it seems reasonable to me. If you're playing enough that BB income and mission cooldowns are a serious concern, then you're playing enough to subscribe. If you can't afford or don't want to subscribe, you'll still have access to everything, it'll just take a bit longer. If you only play to burn through the latest issue, then this doesn't impact you at all.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So they're hurting for money. Guess it's time to subscribe, try to keep this thing afloat until I finish it :smith:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Conan Exiles.

An MMO with support for singleplayer and private servers. Which means, in the best case, they might be able to patch the same into TSW.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CommunityEdition posted:

An MMO with support for singleplayer and private servers. Which means, in the best case, they might be able to patch the same into TSW.

I'd be surprisingly okay with this. Kill the servers let me play on my own, maybe with a small group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

This won't happen. Unfortunately.

• Locked thread