Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

In what hell would you picked Flareon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Jarogue posted:

In what hell would you picked Flareon.

The hell I walk backwards into while staring into the face of Sylveon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Flareon was slightly less terrible when it had 110 special and almost everything else also had trash movepools.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I mean, that's a pretty decent team for Gen 1.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Flareon was basically Fire Blast or Body Slam once before you die/ get walled by a water type.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Flareon's bad for an eeveelution and not worth considering for competitive, but it's far from the worst Fire type you could have. Especially now with losers like Magcargo around. It gets a terrible rap.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Houle posted:

I remember a few official guides erroneously saying that Normal types don't get a stab boost and that dual types get a smaller stab boost. I think it was a Prima one... no idea where they got that from. Looking back those guides were pretty terrible. An advance team was like Blastoise, Pidgeot, Flareon, Alakazam, Machamp, and I think Gengar?
Prima guides are (were? are they even still around?) pretty much always terrible, no matter the game. They seem to be based on a weird combination of the game as it actually is, the game as it might have been at some point in beta testing, and baseless speculation.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Houle posted:

Found it, I still had the guide. While it is teaching type coverage telling a poor kid to get Machamp, Flareon, and Raichu as half your team is just setting them up for disappointment.

I think they're there to illustrate just how overpowered Dugrio was in Gen 1 and that he can do the work of 4 Pokemon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwlm5vNa9Ts

It's, uh, much cuter than i expected it to be???

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I would like some friends for finding new pokemons and stuff.

5129-3578-5477

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Countblanc posted:

I'm getting some odd Hsien-Ko vibes from that ghost. If I had a WiiU, this would make me buy the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Geostomp posted:

Especially now with losers like Magcargo around.

Shut the gently caress up, you drat fucker! *waves shotgun*

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I have to defend Marcargo too. Easily my favourite gen 2 pokemon. He's absolutely terrible to battle with but drat it he's the little engine that could (one of these days).

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Houle posted:

I have to defend Marcargo too. Easily my favourite gen 2 pokemon. He's absolutely terrible to battle with but drat it he's the little engine that could (one of these days).

Magcargo is my favorite fire-type. It holds its own pretty well in-game too. Rock-type + Flame Body makes short work of the many, many physical/normal-attacking NPCs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Countblanc posted:

Oh gee, I didn't think the ghost that burns souls with hellfire would be precious but it is :3:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm starting a replay of White 2, and man I forgot how big the Pokedex was in this game, really has a strong collection of types

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It also has a lot of fun places to explore. If I had a place to dump my stock pile of items I'd replay that game in a heart beat.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Wow, I'm normally not into fighting games at all, but this makes me want to play it. Chandelure is so great.

Too bad I don't have a Wii U.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

:kimchi:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It turns out that Chandelure was the most anime of Pokemon all along.

It (she?) also has Luigi's dash attack, and overall looks cute and fun. Even when it is sending Lucario to hell.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh gee, I didn't think the ghost that burns souls with hellfire would be precious but it is :3:

It is just the most precious little soul sucking haunted ceiling fixture ever.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Houle posted:

I remember a few official guides erroneously saying that Normal types don't get a stab boost and that dual types get a smaller stab boost. I think it was a Prima one... no idea where they got that from. Looking back those guides were pretty terrible. An advance team was like Blastoise, Pidgeot, Flareon, Alakazam, Machamp, and I think Gengar?

I think the best official guide from that era is probably Earl's Pokemon Academy from Pokemon Stadium 2. It's pretty in depth, and it even goes over all the changes from RBY to GSC, like move type changes. It also mentions in casual passing that RBY defending Pokemon of the same type as they attack they're getting hit by are immune to secondary status effects, which I remember was something missing from the RBY Battle Simulator that caused a minor crisis a couple years ago:

Earl does get kind of weird sometimes, though.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I remember reading that quite extensively. Also it makes sense, don't let a free hit on a fresh pokemon at times. I think I got through most of that game by raising my attack then using Explosion/Self Destruct.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

On the subject of birds I still want to know what idiot came up with Mega Pidgeot's stats.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dexie posted:

On the subject of birds I still want to know what idiot came up with Mega Pidgeot's stats.

Somebody who noticed it learns Hurricane.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Disargeria posted:

You don't need anything special but if you can plug the SD card into your computer it makes it way easier I think.

I think the last version it works with is... 9.3? But I'm pretty sure November is too late.

ah yeah poo poo, that refers to 3ds version right? I have version 9.7 damnit

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

ah yeah poo poo, that refers to 3ds version right? I have version 9.7 damnit

I guess I could still bug someone who does have the requirements to do so, is it anymore of a hassle to gen up like a full box of pokemon this way?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dexie posted:

Perfect accuracy Hurricane and Heat Wave, sounds like a pretty good niche to me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Mega Pidgeot got a few more coverage moves to round out its movepool I wouldn't complain, Thunder or Blizzard would fit in well with its windy weather theme too

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Pidgeot the wind God.

I don't think I've ran with a special set before since its special was pretty eh. But I guess perfect hit hurricane with 252ev would make up for it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Dexie posted:

They just wanted it to be something special.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Give Mega Pidgeot Zap Cannon

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thwack! posted:

Give Mega Pidgeot Zap Cannon

Definitely this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Houle posted:

Pidgeot the wind God.

I don't think I've ran with a special set before since its special was pretty eh. But I guess perfect hit hurricane with 252ev would make up for it.

135 special is kind of low for a Mega but that's partially made up for by Pidgeot spamming a 110 power STAB of the best offensive type in the game. It does have terrible coverage, though. Focus Blast would do wonders.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dexie posted:

Pidgeot went from the bottom of NU to getting banned from UU for being too good, so it seems they did a pretty great job actually.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

less laughter posted:

Pidgeot went from the bottom of NU to getting banned from UU for being too good, so it seems they did a pretty great job actually.

And making it physical would just make it a worse Talonflame/Staraptor in this case.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

If pidgeot got focus blast and blizzard :cabot:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raticate can learn Blizzard.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ruggington posted:

If pidgeot got focus blast and blizzard :cabot:

And Sing :cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

wilbur.walsh posted:

I would like some friends for finding new pokemons and stuff.

5129-3578-5477

You can add me:

FC: 2208 8322 4731

I'll add you as soon as I get to my 3DS

• Locked thread