Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Your Computer posted:

You never get to do that? What is even the point or our quest at that point.

Jinsoyun is pretty cool, Yonkai is the real villain #occupycinderlands

He dies from somebody poisoning his rear end in a top hat and when he digs it out with his finger and sniffs it he drops dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how pay-to-win is the game? Will I be able to get to the level cap as a F2P player with no issues?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Verranicus posted:

So how pay-to-win is the game? Will I be able to get to the level cap as a F2P player with no issues?

Arena normalizes everything in 1v1 and 3v3. It's also the only good part of the game. You can hit cap as a f2p player easily.

So far the game is mostly pay to look pretty, although paying for at least premium is a good idea so you have a closet to store your costumes.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Haroshia posted:

He dies from somebody poisoning his rear end in a top hat and when he digs it out with his finger and sniffs it he drops dead.

:five:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haroshia posted:

A fitting death, I deem it canon.

Verranicus posted:

You get some small bonuses, but as far as I can see the biggest thing you get for paying is the ability to store costumes in the wardrobe. Of course, there are already plenty (and certainly will be more) costumes you can only get by paying for them, so there's that. You get to put out a few extra auctions, a tiny bit of bonus xp and gold from mobs (very tiny) and some visual effects when you're ninja running and gliding.

In these few post launch days it also had the boon of putting you in a separate queue, but that's already dying down in EU and probably soon in NA.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What exactly is the wardrobe?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Verranicus posted:

It's a way of storing outfits you get that doesn't take up inventory space.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Which is sadly character only, not account wide.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Eimi posted:

I've only played Blade Master and it's been very simplistic and doesn't flow together that well. You aren't really chaining things together so much as dumping your resource on one attack and then awkwardly trying to recover to do it again. And your defensive moves don't work if you're attacking and break the flow of that. However because of this awkwardness I still think there is SOMETHING I'm missing, but at 41 I haven't found it.

I've had the complete opposite experience to this with Blade Master. What are you dumping all of your focus on? For me, my combo strings (PvE killing monsters anyway) vary between:

Rush (stun) > Lightning Draw (spec'd for extra damage on stunned/dazed) > Raid (+2s status effects) > Honed Slash + Flicker (stun) until dead > Flash Step (just as you're about to run out of focus from the previous combo, or if it will kill the enemy so you instantly proc its "Gain 10 Focus")

or

Stun/Daze somehow > Take Flight > Heavenly Dance > Ascend > Soaring Falcon > Stun/Daze #2 somehow > Lightning Draw > As much of the previous combo as I have focus for > Five-Point Strike (daze & launch) > Another air combo

With the amount of skills that you can add Stun/Daze onto I've found that as I've leveled I've had to rely on Block much less unless I'm specifically trying to mitigate damage (ie- trying to solo a boss), while I spend more time CCing the enemy into a combo string. And if I need focus at the end of it, quickly block/parry something and then Cyclone to regain most if not all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Pressing F3, it shows a list of the outfits and accessories in the game and where to get them. If you have a premium subscription you can also click on an outfit or accessory in your inventory and store it there for future use.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AegisP posted:

I've had the complete opposite experience to this with Blade Master. What are you dumping all of your focus on? For me, my combo strings (PvE killing monsters anyway) vary between:

Rush (stun) > Lightning Draw (spec'd for extra damage on stunned/dazed) > Raid (+2s status effects) > Honed Slash + Flicker (stun) until dead > Flash Step (just as you're about to run out of focus from the previous combo, or if it will kill the enemy so you instantly proc its "Gain 10 Focus")

or

Stun/Daze somehow > Take Flight > Heavenly Dance > Ascend > Soaring Falcon > Stun/Daze #2 somehow > Lightning Draw > As much of the previous combo as I have focus for > Five-Point Strike (daze & launch) > Another air combo

With the amount of skills that you can add Stun/Daze onto I've found that as I've leveled I've had to rely on Block much less unless I'm specifically trying to mitigate damage (ie- trying to solo a boss), while I spend more time CCing the enemy into a combo string. And if I need focus at the end of it, quickly block/parry something and then Cyclone to regain most if not all.

That's more or less what do, though I tend to not use Lightning Draw as its Cd is too long, just using Q or SS as those are only 8s cd. The focus dump is Honed Slash/Flicker. It just feels awkward because of the cooldown on swaping and that blocking or using E to dodge gets you out of Draw Stance. You do have thing speced for more CC which I don't, so maybe that makes the difference? I dunno. I kinda just used a leveling guide build because I'm bad at open ended systems like that. :v: It also doesn't quite feel like comboing skills together for a cool effect outside of air combos. Hence maybe thinking about trying KFM or something else.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Haroshia posted:

The fights are boring DPS races with minimal mechanics besides "Don't stand in the pain circle". From an MMO standpoint it just feels very samey and boring and not challenging in the least.

This will start changing fairly quickly, starting with Spiral Labyrinth and going into the 50 dungeons. The 4-mans especially stop loving around and you'll start running into a lot tighter mechanic and dps requirements.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

The english voices seemed fine till I got to Old Man Cho, then it's cringe city.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Old Man Cho's voice is goofy and crotchety and tests my patience for the character, which means it's doing its job.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Eimi posted:

That's more or less what do, though I tend to not use Lightning Draw as its Cd is too long, just using Q or SS as those are only 8s cd. The focus dump is Honed Slash/Flicker. It just feels awkward because of the cooldown on swaping and that blocking or using E to dodge gets you out of Draw Stance. You do have thing speced for more CC which I don't, so maybe that makes the difference? I dunno. I kinda just used a leveling guide build because I'm bad at open ended systems like that. :v: It also doesn't quite feel like comboing skills together for a cool effect outside of air combos. Hence maybe thinking about trying KFM or something else.

I mostly just put points in things while leveling with PvP in mind when I hit 45, because I like to get a mechanical feel for my final build while leveling so that I don't reach that point and flail around because I had to respec to a completely different build and are naturally uncomfortable with it.

36s isn't too long between packs. And you can still dodge with Q (or SS, but ugh) while in Draw Stance without taking you out of it, provided you didn't use Q to get you into Draw to begin with (which is what using Lightning Draw helps with, as it's a quick, no-movement way to do so). Honed Slash dump is a bit unfortunate, since I'm not seeing much in the way of other damage sources outside of maybe some trickery with Flash Step or the previously mentioned chaining Air Combos.

The one thing I really hate about Blade Master is that you can't use Block and move. Which is super awkward when you're doing lots of little movements.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Your Computer posted:

If you switch out the voices you'll have to bypass the launcher which is a bit of a hassle, and it might also grate on you that the script is completely different in English so the subtitles/quest text won't match the audio. On the other hand, it really helps the world come alive since the English version only has some voice acting while Japanese and Korean have pretty much every major and minor npc voiced. I tried going back to English and everything was so... Quiet.

Actually you can just dump all the alternate voice files into a subdirectory in CookedPC/, and the game will just use those. It throws an error message for each file when you start the game up, but you can just hold enter for 15 seconds to get through that.

Another thing about the localization is that the English version and the Japanese version have very different lines of dialogue in places. We're talking stuff like a character chewing you out for something in English but thanking you and being polite in Japanese. I don't know a lick of Korean so I couldn't tell you which one, if either, was more accurate to the original.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ah. That's fair enough, and it's not like the CC is useless in pve. I'm honestly rather torn between KFM and BM, and having played KFM up to 16 just now, the thing that might just make me decide is how bad so many of the gauntlets look. And it's not just that the design is weird, but its more how they don't go with any of the outfits. Throw a sword on anything and it works, but even Stone Gauntlets clash with a lot of things. Also I hear KFM comes into its own later but I can't solo Pinchy in the first dungeon while I did it with my BM rather easily.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All of Pokey's attacks are super easy to counter or dodge through. He's a really good boss to learn your timing on as a KFM actually!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Its not Pokey, it's his little friends that swarm me and then I die. One on one I'm fine. I find that either my 4 isn't up in time, or I whiff and only hit 2 out of the 4 adds.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Eimi posted:

Its not Pokey, it's his little friends that swarm me and then I die. One on one I'm fine. I find that either my 4 isn't up in time, or I whiff and only hit 2 out of the 4 adds.
I had issues with Pokey as well since if the eggs pop, the targeting insist in making me punch the giant scorpion instead of the much more threatening adds. :v:
Thankfully once you get the ability to spend skill points, you can put two into your Swift Strike (2) and change it into Tiger Strike, which turns it from a Target ability to a 2x4 forward cone AoE that also allows you to activate another forward AoE skill (Hellfire Kick, 4) that has a pretty short cooldown.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

If you counter pokey you should be able to shoulder check all the eggs, but even if you only get 2 of them with 4 then hammering an x22 into the last one isn't a huge deal. Also, z will kick the eggs out from under him if you can't target them, but they will scatter so it's best to only use that on one of them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I refuse to go out and get a group for pot dog shelter. I've played way too much dark souls to give up after only dying 4 times.

Last attempt he only had like 4k left, so close. I think the key is the short adds need to die immediately because they're the ones who throw poo poo at me.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
E: Whoops, missed the reply.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 31, 2016

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love this game.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eimi posted:

I had this problem. Unlocking talent points and getting Tiger Strike fixed it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ah glad to hear that. Now if only there was an invisible fist weapon glamour, because my biggest worry is dress up with stupid big rear end gauntlets ruining stuff in a way a sword/dagger doesn't. :v:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Party PvE so far at level cap seems actively terrible. You can apparently afk sit at the start of a dungeon and not be kicked since kicking is only available if the person is offline, so they can wait there until you kill the last boss at which point they're freely able to bid. And Moonwater Tear bidding always proceeds past the market value, often ludicrously from other people trying to get folks to waste money bidding.

Not terribly encouraging.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

AegisP posted:

Party PvE so far at level cap seems actively terrible. You can apparently afk sit at the start of a dungeon and not be kicked since kicking is only available if the person is offline, so they can wait there until you kill the last boss at which point they're freely able to bid. And Moonwater Tear bidding always proceeds past the market value, often ludicrously from other people trying to get folks to waste money bidding.

Not terribly encouraging.

It's not my fault people want to be stupid about not losing a bid.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Insensitive posted:

I love this game.

lmao A+

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Eimi posted:

Ah glad to hear that. Now if only there was an invisible fist weapon glamour, because my biggest worry is dress up with stupid big rear end gauntlets ruining stuff in a way a sword/dagger doesn't. :v:

From what I've seen so far, your best bet is probably to grab the Stone gauntlets at some point way in the beginning of the game, either from a drop or a crafter, and slap that glamour on your Hongmoon and leave it there. I haven't seen anything less-overdone than that yet, though I'd kill of a pair of fingerless gloves as a KFM weapon.

On a related note, I desperately want to try and make a ginormous Gon KFM Hulk Hogan again even though it didn't go well in beta. I'd try a Destroyer instead but it just doesn't have the right Hulkamania feel.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The more I play this game, the more I realize that I am really bad at the combat system in this game. I can't even imagine playing like some of the loving high end people and actually utilizing everything available. I can't remember what leads into what half of the time because they aren't always on screen and I have no sense of permanence when it comes to button pushing.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Zizi posted:

On a related note, I desperately want to try and make a ginormous Gon KFM Hulk Hogan again even though it didn't go well in beta. I'd try a Destroyer instead but it just doesn't have the right Hulkamania feel.

I made a KFM Gon with All The Sliders To The Right. It's the worst since your character blocks half the screen and your target all the time. For a class that's as reactive as KFM, it sucks not being able to see what your opponent is doing! I changed the camera settings to zoom out as far as possible and offset to over-the-shoulder, which helps a little.

At least my fist is the size of your average Lyn.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

yergacheffe posted:

I made a KFM Gon with All The Sliders To The Right. It's the worst since your character blocks half the screen and your target all the time. For a class that's as reactive as KFM, it sucks not being able to see what your opponent is doing! I changed the camera settings to zoom out as far as possible and offset to over-the-shoulder, which helps a little.

At least my fist is the size of your average Lyn.

This is exactly what I did and exactly what the problem was with doing it. But idk I still somehow kind of like the idea. I'm a dumb sometimes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zizi posted:

From what I've seen so far, your best bet is probably to grab the Stone gauntlets at some point way in the beginning of the game, either from a drop or a crafter, and slap that glamour on your Hongmoon and leave it there. I haven't seen anything less-overdone than that yet, though I'd kill of a pair of fingerless gloves as a KFM weapon.

Yeah only other thing that looks decent is Deva gauntlets but those are not subtle or subdued. I wonder how the Stone Gauntlets look with something like Regium Corvus however. Best would be fingerless gloves or just invisible weapon.

I hate that every kung fu game makes the fist fighter have some kind of ugly weapon. I mean the fantasy of a monk or whatever is that you don't need a weapon to break someone and it's about searching for a new technique than +5 weapon damage. :v:

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Eimi posted:

Yeah only other thing that looks decent is Deva gauntlets but those are not subtle or subdued. I wonder how the Stone Gauntlets look with something like Regium Corvus however. Best would be fingerless gloves or just invisible weapon.

I hate that every kung fu game makes the fist fighter have some kind of ugly weapon. I mean the fantasy of a monk or whatever is that you don't need a weapon to break someone and it's about searching for a new technique than +5 weapon damage. :v:

I don't recall the game in question but I did once play an MMO where the unarmed class just didn't have a weapon, and your base damage just increased per level in a fashion very similar to weapon progression. The downside is you didn't get to pick up a purple weapon a couple levels early, but it worked out well enough.

There was another where all the weapons for the monk were just various sorts of bandages you'd wrap your hands/forearm in for basic protection. That was pretty cool, too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zizi posted:

I don't recall the game in question but I did once play an MMO where the unarmed class just didn't have a weapon, and your base damage just increased per level in a fashion very similar to weapon progression. The downside is you didn't get to pick up a purple weapon a couple levels early, but it worked out well enough.

There was another where all the weapons for the monk were just various sorts of bandages you'd wrap your hands/forearm in for basic protection. That was pretty cool, too.

Not an MMO but Jade Empire handled that great for fighting, since it literally was just questing for new fighting styles/techniques.

Pure bandages or what not would be awesome too. Really anything but the current situation. Or at least if they are stuck with giving us weapons, at least give proper Katars.

E: Also is there any move for KFM that gives hp back beyond Headbutt? I really appreciated having Shoulder Tackle as a BM, because I'm bad and need healing.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
It's time for one of those 'think too much into the story' posts!

I vaguely remember someone posting in either this thread or the previous thread about how the story is past what we have, but I can only conclude that the real bad guy is actually the 'Mushin' you meet at the end, and Jinsoyun is being evil to try to overtake Mushin, as a mission given by Jiwan. My guess on this is that the story goes on about how Mushin sealed away the Dark Lord by giving up his own god-like powers, but chances are he actually lost that fight and threw away his god-like powers so that the Dark Lord wouldn't get hold of it before being possessed by the Dark Lord. Why else would Mushin know the 'Dark Arts' and Yura is more loyal to Mushin over Jinsoyun, the supposedly 'servant of the Dark Lord'?

This also explains why Mushin was 'Gil'. The one that saved the last descendant of the Mu clan (Yunwa) was actually Mushin himself, to make sure that the bloodline remains alive to grab back Mushin's Legacy. Except it ended up being a part of Yunwa because of you, so he took her to try to extract the power off her.

So how does all this have to do with the current story? Well, from what I can guess, chances are you end up fighting Jinsoyun again like you're meant to, but something happens along the way involving Yunwa who is now in Mushin's custody that brings you back to the Hongmoon path somehow. So ultimately you beat Jinsoyun but then you start helping her because you realised Mushin is the bigger enemy who had been manipulating everything behind the scenes far more than Jinsoyun did. Meanwhile Yunwa's trying to get control of the Lumang Syndicate so as to bring some forces on your side, so there'll probably be a bunch of areas or a map's worth of story related to helping out Yunwa while looking after Jinsoyun, who is probably not the same as she was after you beat the darkness out of her.

This is the feels I get from knowing Wuxia-styled shows, there's always a stupid big plot twist that throws everything around the other direction somewhere (but this is what makes them great).

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Eimi posted:

Stone Heavy Gauntlets.

they just put something on your knuckles, and give you a bracer of sorts. (the demon hands are from the outfit)

Skwee fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 31, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Skwee posted:

Stone Heavy Gauntlets.

they just put something on your knuckcles, and give you a bracer of sorts. (the demon hands are from the outfit)

It's what I've been using. I sure haven't found anything smaller and less obvious than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So when Leading Palm says evade, it just means random evade change? Not using Q/E/SS?

• Locked thread