Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I also instantly called bullshit on Adam saying it had never been filmed. Although now I wonder how that other video was made since it was so much harder than they expected.
Yeah aside from the video/gif of the tanker imploding, I distinctly remember a Nat Geo/Discovery/TLC/whatever program (Mind Games maybe?) where they had random people focus on a train tanker and "telepathically" implode it, before they explained the science behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If anyone has a GearVR/Oculus, there's a neat little Mythbusters 360 degree video on the Oculus Video app with Adam narrating an explosion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was also kind of funny how they had a whole bit about how hard it was to get the first one and then all of a sudden they were able to get a second one in one day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

It was also kind of funny how they had a whole bit about how hard it was to get the first one and then all of a sudden they were able to get a second one in one day.

Are all tankers made the same way? There's got to be thinner-walled tankers out there somewhere.

Also:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most interesting thing about that gif is how the tank easily pops away from the wheels like there's nothing holding them together except gravity. Is that normal for train cars or did they secretly disconnect something in preparation for the implosion?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I'm sure they had them both lined up already.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Didn't they do some kind of massive implosion myth with a gas tanker trailer? They never mentioned ever having done anything like this in the episode but I'm all but positive they've imploded a tanker trailer before.

A train car tanker is a lot more impressive though I have to admit.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

I believe they specifically mentioned trying to get one that's been decommed, but still structurally sound. The second one was pretty beat up, probably sourced early on and they held on to it just in case they couldn't find something perfect. Even though it literally gave them the same results, but I assume they didn't expect that and wanted to use the "ideal" situation.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

haveblue posted:

The most interesting thing about that gif is how the tank easily pops away from the wheels like there's nothing holding them together except gravity. Is that normal for train cars or did they secretly disconnect something in preparation for the implosion?

There's nothing holding them together except gravity.

When you've got that much tonnage, let it do the hard work for you.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Looking at the classic train car implosion, it's pretty clear that it's a weaker or thinner tanker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Looking at the classic train car implosion, it's pretty clear that it's a weaker or thinner tanker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

Great use of Sirius by the Alan Parsons Project.

Maybe US Spec tanker cars are built with thicker steel, or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I doubt anyone is still watching gold rush.

But I don't believe fat mechanic for beard guy is the first to think up to not make a dredge dig up all the overburden and run it.

It sounds like the best loving way to run a wash plant, make it move its own drat self. Its like a huge ugly pacman.

I dont know why they try to make it a "big" deal every loving time they have to move the wash plant and everyone hates it for some reason. It should be like a matter of fact now that you have to move that fucker all the god drat time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gotta make drama somewhere. Even Todd can't gently caress up anything anymore cause all he's doing is taking a walk once a day to show up in a camera shot. That and making a prayer circle thanking God for the mighty glory hole giving them gold.

The Hoffman family is gross and they should be mocked off the network if they can't at least give us a whole season of them constantly loving things up they've been doing for years at this point.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 19, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Adam Savage was on @Midnight :allears:

Acquitted himself well considering he was up against Ron Funches.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pulping tomato innards with a blasting cap produced some amazing high speed footage,

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

howe_sam posted:

Pulping tomato innards with a blasting cap produced some amazing high speed footage,

Nothing about that should have worked, but it did :aaa:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That copyright notice is annoying.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Tonight:

Two car-based myths:

Adam - Can you lift a car with a single household vacuum cleaner? Yes

Jamie - Can you pancake a car with high explosives? No.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Previews for next weeks gold rush looks hilarious:

Todd's claim owner comes by tells him Parker looking to buy the land Todd is currently on :dance:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
"hey go slow digging that hole, dont get stuck"

"I got this, bro"

5 minutes later

"hey im stuck"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamie completely annihilating the car was goofy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I figured the car would get a little crumpled but not even close to flattened. Did not see complete annihilation coming.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PostNouveau posted:

I figured the car would get a little crumpled but not even close to flattened. Did not see complete annihilation coming.

At least there's one less Yugo in the world.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you guys remember that Mythbusters preview clipshow that aired before the start of the season? How much was spoiled based on the episodes so far?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did anyone else notice Adam's super gross fingernails? Ugh.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ross Angeles posted:

Is this thread for the History channel too? I couldn't find a history channel thread.

They changed American Restoration to something that doesn't involve Rick Dale and it makes me sad :(

Dual Survival has also been rebooted with new people. I think the golden age of lovely reality TV is ending.

I mean, Rick Dale seemed like an okay guy, but I don't know how long it's been since he's made a new episode. Pawn Stars hasn't used him as their restoration guy in more than a few years.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lord a loo, that was some spectacular high speed footage on Mythbusters :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love when the high speed is good enough that you see the electrical charge moving through the detcord.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I love when the high speed is good enough that you see the electrical charge moving through the detcord.

That's actually a tiny explosion moving through a tube, not electricity.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pretty sure in the vacuum car myth, after they swapped out the bonnet with a steel plate and it failed, Adam shouted "Arrrr! What the gently caress! What! What!"

Also, I think the "octopus arm" rig they made was seriously flawed in that, if a single suction cup came off, the whole rig would fail as air rushed in. Given that each cup was held in place using a rigid steel rod fastened with a wing nut, each suction cup probably was lifting a different amount.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The vacuum car is one where if you watched the behind the scenes episode you did get a little insight. Apparently they were going to give up on the whole thing after the octopus one failed but saw a video online of someone else doing it, which is why they tried again with the new method.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

spankmeister posted:

That's actually a tiny explosion moving through a tube, not electricity.

A tiny explosion traveling at 6000m/s, if my memory serves me right.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jamie completely annihilating the car was goofy.

I love how, at those pressures, things we think of as extremely solid start acting very much like liquids. You can see how the metal just splattered in the test models when the explosive power was upped. Too bad they didn't get to do it to a full-size car.

Shaping explosives is tough. Takes a lot of know-how to do it right - so much engineering. I still wonder if the Implosion-type nuclear design is less a sphere and more some strange shape that we don't know because they both want to keep it a secret and the engineering is so much harder for a pure sphere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a new Mythbusters tonight? My cable guide says Gold Rush is on at it's regular slot but after there's just a listing for "Discovery Channel Programming"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I see a new MB called "Volunteer Special".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It occurred to me that they should have experimentally verified Adam's estimate of 3/4 of a second for a chainsaw to open a skull, but on the other hand if they had used a real animal head for that it would have been by far the most disgusting (and :black101:) thing the show had ever aired.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

haveblue posted:

It occurred to me that they should have experimentally verified Adam's estimate of 3/4 of a second for a chainsaw to open a skull, but on the other hand if they had used a real animal head for that it would have been by far the most disgusting (and :black101:) thing the show had ever aired.

They should have also tested how many dead pigs it takes before the chainsaw gets clogged by too many meaty chunks and bone fragments, but at the same time who gives a poo poo. CHAINSAW

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Deadliest catch coming back soon? I feel like this is when it back on. Aren't one of their fishing seasons from nov-dec or something?

Edit: Nevermind. Looking at my TV app it appears the season comes back in April every year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they redid the ax zombie thing because it was kind of bad that they were counting Adam tapping the zombies in the original myth as a kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wish they would have tried an M:N approach to the queueing, say two queues with three cashiers each.

• Locked thread