Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Countblanc posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this; Does anyone know how long it takes for something you list on DriveThruRPG for publication to actually show up? I just listed something for the first time and the fact that the button next to the item keeps saying "Make Public" no matter how many times I interact with it makes me nervous that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't want to keep pressing it in case it resets the timer each time.

It can take a day or longer. They need to review and approve it. After Tournament of Rapists got through their auto-filter, they put manual components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this; Does anyone know how long it takes for something you list on DriveThruRPG for publication to actually show up? I just listed something for the first time and the fact that the button next to the item keeps saying "Make Public" no matter how many times I interact with it makes me nervous that I'm doing something wrong, but I don't want to keep pressing it in case it resets the timer each time.

Just wait. One time it took less than a day, but the other times it has been more like 3 business days. You don't need to keep clicking it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

It can take a day or longer. They need to review and approve it. After Tournament of Rapists got through their auto-filter, they put manual components.

Rapegame only prompted the promise of a report-and-review process; they're not scrutinizing every listing one by one.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It takes longest with your very first product by a considerable margin, because DTRPG checks new publishers manually every time. Once your first product is approved, future products should be auto-approved and go live within an hour of you putting them up for market. At least, that's been my experience - I haven't had to wait on anything in a long time.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
It probably also depends on the length of the product. The first thing I put up was like three pages long and got approved in around an hour. I'd expect a multihundred page tome to take considerably longer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meinberg posted:

It probably also depends on the length of the product. The first thing I put up was like three pages long and got approved in around an hour. I'd expect a multihundred page tome to take considerably longer.

Hm, mine was just 4 pages and it still hasn't been approved since Thursday night. I suppose I'll wait a day or two and then shoot out an email if it hasn't changed. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

ProfessorCirno posted:

In your heart, you know the answer to that question.

In fact, as I understand, 5e hasn't been translated into any other languages. Hobby Japan wasn't the only company they cut ties with, claiming they'd totally translate in-house instead. D&D is now an English Only game.

There's an Italian translation of the 5th Edition SRD, but it's done by a third party and not WotC.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI, campaign to translate 5e into French.

http://www.black-book-editions.fr/crowdfunding.php?id=30

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Does France not have dungeons?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Piell posted:

It may be they don't feel the need to roleplay about dungeons when they have real tunnels walled with bones.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Real tunnels walled with bones that plays host to a fully equipped underground theater: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/08/filmnews.france

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Piell posted:

I have no loving idea why they changed the name, considering it's always been Donjons & Dragons in French.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like it's a translation of the SRD rather than the actual D&D books?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Looks like it's a translation of the SRD rather than the actual D&D books?

SRD + a bunch of their own content, including 6-adventure campaign (Casus Belli is the big French RPG magazine).

Which I guess explains why it's H&D and not D&D. It's not an official translation project, just the French equivalent of Dragon/Dungeon creating a French version of 5e via OGL.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, these are all SRD translation projects because the actual D&D team has no interest in making non-English projects in house, while simultaniously refusing to let it be done out of house. It's the best they can do with a group that legit doesn't want their products to be translated.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
WotC's thinking mystifies me. Their entire profit model for D&D is based on the sale of expensive hardback books, but now they've made it possible for anyone to pull a Paizo and completely replicate for free their entire game bar a few trademarked names and monsters and sell it as their own product? At least with 3.x there was a requirement for anything derived from it still to need the PHB, even if that went out of the window quickly enough. Or am I misreading how the OGL/SRD works?

Got to laugh at that French game, though; it's even more pricey than the 5e PHB is in Europe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
50€ is what Amazon.fr charges for each of the 5e PHB/DMG/MM, so technically the 3-in-1 tier is cheaper. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jesus, the PHB is £20 (€26) via Amazon in the UK. France is getting a very bad deal!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's probably at least party due to the fact that French law curtails Amazon's right to undercut average market price on print books in order to stop them from trying to kill all local commerce forever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there anything preventing an English translation of Heroes & Dragons from being sold cheaper than the 5e books?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

Is there anything preventing an English translation of Heroes & Dragons from being sold cheaper than the 5e books?

It wouldn't be worth the effort?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Payndz posted:

WotC's thinking mystifies me. Their entire profit model for D&D is based on the sale of expensive hardback books, but now they've made it possible for anyone to pull a Paizo and completely replicate for free their entire game bar a few trademarked names and monsters and sell it as their own product?
This is just one more piece of evidence that the profit model for D&D is now board games, novels, and hopefully video games and movies.

That Old Tree posted:

It wouldn't be worth the effort?
Admins please change :effort: to :mearls:

unseenlibrarian posted:

Real tunnels walled with bones that plays host to a fully equipped underground theater: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/08/filmnews.france
One of my old professors saw a production of Faust down there. All the audience members were given black cloaks to wear.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know, if the whole situation with Sword Coast Legends is any indication, they've at least Lost a Step when it comes down to picking talented partners/making salient plans when it comes to modern D&D video game licensing shenanigans---though I guess this is somewhat to be expected given they just about gave up on 4e in this regard...then again, there was Daggerdale so...yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure that the lack of a 4e video game was entirely WOTC's fault: if I'm remembering my legalese correctly Atari had the rights to D&D video games at the time, they just didn't do anything with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure that the lack of a 4e video game was entirely WOTC's fault: if I'm remembering my legalese correctly Atari had the rights to D&D video games at the time, they just didn't do anything with it.

Yep, Atari sat on the liscense and refused to use it. It was pretty annoying for a lot of fans at the time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Atari, or rather the shell of a company that was once Atari, was getting out the business of publishing good games by the time 4th edition rolled around and had entirely gotten out of the business of developing games. They were willing to let ARMA and Neverwinter Nights tundle along making more expansion packs and by some small miracle did publish the first two Witchers and EVE but most of their out put were things like Alone in the Dark. I really wouldn't have trusted whoever they saddled with the license to make a good game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Has the atari patent on load screen minigames lapsed yet? It would be cool if someone could actually use it before load times become a complete thing of the past.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ignite Memories posted:

Has the atari patent on load screen minigames lapsed yet? It would be cool if someone could actually use it before load times become a complete thing of the past.
Its not atari and yes it has lapsed.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

It's lapsed, Splatoon has a minigame during the loading screen.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Terrible Opinions posted:

I really wouldn't have trusted whoever they saddled with the license to make a good [4th edition][ game.

Neverwinter Online is a 4E game. It's pretty okay. There's a lot of plot stuff about the Spellplague, and one quest has you scrounge up a Rod, a Staff, and a Wand to marvel over how they don't work anymore.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LordSaturn posted:

one quest has you scrounge up a Rod, a Staff, and a Wand to marvel over how they don't work anymore.
This is wonderful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The warlock only questgiver tells you something to the effect of "Don't let the wizards get you down, they're only mad that they based all of their training and scholarship on a version of magic that doesn't work anymore. And most definitely not because we sold our souls to Asmodeus."

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

It did, but only a couple months ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just catching up to the thread, but re: D&D movies and alikes, everyone always forgets In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Which, you know, not surprising, and also it's Uwe Boll. But it stars Jason Statham! And Ron Perlman! And John Rhys-Davies! And Burt Reynolds has a cameo role!

It's terrible. Amazingly bad. But despite that, it got made, and it's not like Dungeon Siege is this big big game franchise. Amazingly, it rated not one, but two "In the Name of the King" sequels; the first starring Dolph Lundgren as a soldier who goes back in time to I guess magical Dungeon Siege land, and then apparently a third movie from 2014 (I had no idea!) starring someone named Dominic Percell. Both also directed by Uwe Boll.

My point here is that the bar is looooow. The D&D movie was bad, very bad indeed, but it wasn't as bad as these movies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Just catching up to the thread, but re: D&D movies and alikes, everyone always forgets In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Which, you know, not surprising, and also it's Uwe Boll. But it stars Jason Statham! And Ron Perlman! And John Rhys-Davies! And Burt Reynolds has a cameo role!

It's terrible. Amazingly bad. But despite that, it got made, and it's not like Dungeon Siege is this big big game franchise. Amazingly, it rated not one, but two "In the Name of the King" sequels; the first starring Dolph Lundgren as a soldier who goes back in time to I guess magical Dungeon Siege land, and then apparently a third movie from 2014 (I had no idea!) starring someone named Dominic Percell. Both also directed by Uwe Boll.

My point here is that the bar is looooow. The D&D movie was bad, very bad indeed, but it wasn't as bad as these movies.

The bar IS pretty low, agreed, but Hasbro has seen that Transformers made them eleventy billion dollars and they probably aren't going to be satisfied if this Forgotten Realms movie clocks in at a solid "okay but not great" box-office wise. D&D the game can coast by at that level, but I'm not convinced that D&D the brand is going to be given that much slack.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

and then apparently a third movie from 2014 (I had no idea!) starring someone named Dominic Percell. Both also directed by Uwe Boll.

I was like "holy poo poo did I miss a Dungeon Siege movie!?" but after looking it up on Wikipedia no it turns out the third one was just that forgettable. Even if Percell doesn't sleepwalk through the production like Lundgren did.

While Boll typically makes stuff that's low-tier even by SyFy originals standard, I think it's worth pointing out the first one was mostly just kind of dumb, but with a noticeable budget and some notable names. Burt Reynolds as the good king; Ray Liotta of Goodfellas plays an evil wizard; Leelee Sobieski is present! I think Matthew Lillard plays the conniving traitor? This was relatively early in the world getting to know Boll. It has some clear nods to the Dungeon Siege games, but also is clearly a movie first and an adaptation second.

It was, frankly, better than any D&D movie so far. So the bar is actually a little higher there, which is probably ironic since it's technically a video game movie.

(The second and third movies really aren't even Dungeon Siege movies, and are well into Boll's "give 0.00% of any shits" phase.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The first Dungeon Siege movie had a hollywood-sized budget, and was the highest-budget film Boll had made to date. After it failed miserably, he claimed he'd never make such a large movie again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Name_of_the_King#Production

quote:

The production budget was $60 million, [1] making it Uwe Boll's most expensive film production to date.

In the Name of the King was a box office bomb, grossing $2.98 million in its U.S. opening, not cracking that week's top ten.[5] It had grossed $10.3 million worldwide, including $2.47 million in Germany, $1.39 million in Russia and $1.22 million in Spain.[6] Afterwards, Uwe Boll announced that this would be his first and last movie with a large budget.[5]

According to IMDB, In the Name of the King II had a budget of just $4.5M, while In the Name of the King III had an even smaller budget of just $3.5M. That's indie-film level financing.

I disagree that the first film was better than the Dungeons and Dragons film, starring Jeremy Irons as Jeremy Irons Being Fabulous. Rotten Tomatoes gives the 2000 D&D film a 10% tomatometer and 19% audience score, while In the Name of the King scores just 4% and 22%.

Moreover, In the Name of the King was nominated for five Razzies, with Uwe Boll winning for Worst Director for that film! Dungeons & Dragons didn't rate a single nomination (I checked 2000 and 2001).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I remain firm in my contention that the first Dungeon Siege movie was mostly mediocre with bizarre stunt casting, while the D&D movie was actively awful. I would watch them both at any time, though, because I love garbage.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

Neverwinter Online is a 4E game. It's pretty okay. There's a lot of plot stuff about the Spellplague, and one quest has you scrounge up a Rod, a Staff, and a Wand to marvel over how they don't work anymore.

Neverwinter Online seemed interesting, but I never played it. However it wasn't published by Atari and in fact only came out after Atari's hold on the rights lapsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The first Dungeon Siege movie was the one where Uwe Boll hired actual prostitutes for a scene because it was cheaper than paying extras.

• Locked thread