Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Worth it just for the disclaimer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Wait, did GM actually air that?

It wasn't some b-roll thing for YouTube?

What
The
gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Q_res posted:

I like the guy that supposedly thinks the Malibu looks like a $50k-$60k car.

Every time a car salesman sees that, they get an involuntary boner.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

I think you guys are underestimating how stupid people that aren't into cars are about cars.

Truth. I just watched 3 cuvs get stuck in the mud with the drivers perplexed because they thought their suv could go anywhere. :wtc: All of them were front wheel drive fat cars like the rav4, escape, and some ugly nissan pos.

The only person that didn't get stuck was a tundra 4x4 who proceeded to help them get out. I wonder if the lovely part time awd carmakers put on those would have even helped at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

Truth. I just watched 3 cuvs get stuck in the mud with the drivers perplexed because they thought their suv could go anywhere. :wtc: All of them were front wheel drive fat cars like the rav4, escape, and some ugly nissan pos.

The only person that didn't get stuck was a tundra 4x4 who proceeded to help them get out. I wonder if the lovely part time awd carmakers put on those would have even helped at all.

I'll have you know that the rav4 commercial I just watched showed it "off road" with a guy helping some lumberjacks. So it's obviously AWD and ready to climb some mountains.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

0toShifty posted:

Worth it just for the disclaimer

My brain wants to think that's tongue-in-cheek, but my heart tells me that no, it's not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Airbags don't do poo poo to protect people not wearing seatbelts, so not likely.

FMVSS 208 actually does state outright that the airbag system be designed to save the life of an unbelted occupant of the vehicle. No other country in the world does this. In Europe and Japan, they say "if you're so stupid to drive around unbuckled, you've forfeited your life anyway. The airbags won't save you on their own. Wear your goddamned seat belt." That kind of government interference :freep: wasn't acceptable in the United States of America, where you should be allowed to drive without a seat belt if you feel like it. So US federal airbags deploy faster and with more force than those in other countries, because they might be the only thing keeping you from being thrown out of the vehicle. It was also a major push behind making everything in the passenger cabin into an airbag unit, because who knows where the occupants might actually be?

See also: American cars that explain in the manual how to permanently disable the seat belt warning chime.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

FMVSS 208 actually does state outright that the airbag system be designed to save the life of an unbelted occupant of the vehicle. No other country in the world does this. In Europe and Japan, they say "if you're so stupid to drive around unbuckled, you've forfeited your life anyway. The airbags won't save you on their own. Wear your goddamned seat belt." That kind of government interference :freep: wasn't acceptable in the United States of America, where you should be allowed to drive without a seat belt if you feel like it. So US federal airbags deploy faster and with more force than those in other countries, because they might be the only thing keeping you from being thrown out of the vehicle. It was also a major push behind making everything in the passenger cabin into an airbag unit, because who knows where the occupants might actually be?

See also: American cars that explain in the manual how to permanently disable the seat belt warning chime.
Can the force of airbag deployment be varied in the car, or is that something built into the design of it? IE could it sense that someone is sitting and wearing their seatbelt and adjust the force?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Good job demeaning your potential customers. And to go back to that Malibu commercial, it really annoys me as a person that recognizes cars and design languages.

"Is it a BMW?"
THERE'S NO KIDNEYS DUMBASS.

Ugh.

kimbo305 posted:

I want to do that for real -- find coma patients who are car enthusiasts, who've woken up after 2-5 years, and then ask them to try id some modern designs.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

david_a posted:

Can the force of airbag deployment be varied in the car, or is that something built into the design of it? IE could it sense that someone is sitting and wearing their seatbelt and adjust the force?

They're on, off, or blowing your face off. It is a chemical reaction that needs to be fast not easy to vary.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ yeah. it's a chemical pellet that is fired electrically and goes off like a gun. The only way to vary the deployment would be to have multiple pellets with different characteristics.

david_a posted:

Advanced Frontal Airbags, of the type that have been required in American cars since 2006, will automatically enable and disable the system according to passenger weight. I'm not sure if this is connected to the belt sensor or not. AFAs can't vary the deployment force or velocity. There might be very new systems that allow this but I haven't heard of them.

Worth noting that the weight sensors are not super reliable. They're supposed to disable the airbag if they detect any weight in the seat that's below that of a 5th-percentile female, or about 90lbs, but the actual figure changes a lot depending on how you sit in the seat (my 110lb sister almost always triggers the cutoff) and weight is not a perfect indicator of whether the airbag is safe for you. Put kids in the back seat and always wear the seatbelts.

For a while they called airbags "supplementary restraint systems," implying that you were supposed to be always wearing your seatbelt, but thanks to industry lobbying they call them "passive restraints" instead.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sagebrush posted:

They're supposed to disable the airbag if they detect any weight in the seat that's below that of a 5th-percentile female, or about 90lbs, but the actual figure changes a lot depending on how you sit in the seat (my 110lb sister almost always triggers the cutoff) and weight is not a perfect indicator of whether the airbag is safe for you. Put kids in the back seat and always wear the seatbelts

I was wondering why in every car I've owned since I've known her, the airbag light will intermittently be lit, signaling it's disabled on her side of the car. I didn't realize there was a lower bound to that.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Wear your goddamned seat belt." That kind of government interference :freep: wasn't acceptable in the United States of America, where you should be allowed to drive without a seat belt if you feel like it.

But once I heard a friend of a friend's uncle's brother was in a crash that was SO BAD his seatbelt would have KILLED HIM. Fortunately he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and survived! :shepface:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

In China people don't wear seatbelts ever so fuckers driving BMWs and Mercs with 20 airbags drop like flies in even minor accidents.

This sounds like a good thing

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Speaking of seat belts... Why does nobody rage about fords springs failing in their belts making them suspect to latching or not?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The best bad Chevy ad is the one for their trucks. The guy says that the truck has Best in Class towing. The disclaimer at the bottom says "Class is Chevy HD pickups."

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Previa_fun posted:

But once I heard a friend of a friend's uncle's brother was in a crash that was SO BAD his seatbelt would have KILLED HIM. Fortunately he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and survived! :shepface:

I knew someone who was ejected from a vehicle during an accident who honestly thought that, had she been wearing a seatbelt, it would cut her in half.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheMadMilkman posted:

The best bad Chevy ad is the one for their trucks. The guy says that the truck has Best in Class towing. The disclaimer at the bottom says "Class is Chevy HD pickups."

Fuckin' GM, man. They aren't the worst but they are the most mediocre which is somehow actually the worst.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Years ago I was reading a magazine and came across an ad for some kind of Ram pickup or other. It was done up like a movie poster, with the title at the bottom and all the tiny text below and stuff, and it was covered in quotations from different reviewers.

Among the bunch, one in the top left corner said "Best in class!"

Another quotation midway down on the right said "In a class of its own!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress the seatbelt chime. It activates if I put something heavy on the passenger seat (which admittedly is not a great idea, but cargo space is at a premium in a Mustang). It also activates as I drive through parking garages, when I'm frequently unbelted because the stupid builders always put the scanner/button/console/etc. positioned for an SUV so I have to unbelt, put the car in neutral with e-brake on, and lean through my goddamn window. I'd put it back on, but I've actually had garage doors or arms go down as I'm putting my seatbelt back on...

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

They're not bad for the price but don't get a loaded one or some new feature and you are ok

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PT6A posted:

gently caress the seatbelt chime. It activates if I put something heavy on the passenger seat (which admittedly is not a great idea, but cargo space is at a premium in a Mustang). It also activates as I drive through parking garages, when I'm frequently unbelted because the stupid builders always put the scanner/button/console/etc. positioned for an SUV so I have to unbelt, put the car in neutral with e-brake on, and lean through my goddamn window. I'd put it back on, but I've actually had garage doors or arms go down as I'm putting my seatbelt back on...

90 pounds heavy?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fyodor posted:

90 pounds heavy?

Apparently yes, as the sensor has been activated. Come to think of it, that might have been in the Toyota I had a few years back, not the Mustang. In either event, I believe both of them have/had a lower weight limit because the "Airbag OFF" light would come on. I assume this had to do with the fact that neither one had a back seat suitable for a child seat, but I'm not sure.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Years ago I was reading a magazine and came across an ad for some kind of Ram pickup or other. It was done up like a movie poster, with the title at the bottom and all the tiny text below and stuff, and it was covered in quotations from different reviewers.

Among the bunch, one in the top left corner said "Best in class!"

Another quotation midway down on the right said "In a class of its own!"

I was a fat and worthless kid and my parents made me try different sports, amongst them swimming.

They were pleased that I always came home with a blue ribbon in breast stroke from meets. What they didn't know is that I was the only kid in the pool for that particular event.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Christobevii3 posted:

They're on, off, or blowing your face off. It is a chemical reaction that needs to be fast not easy to vary.

Airbags come in dual stage or variable output varieties. It isn't a problem to have multiple inflators or a variable output inflator.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bovril Delight posted:

100% this. If you ask someone who doesn't know much about cars a mustang they'll probably give you something like "A Camaro? Those are fast right? This looks fast"

From last page but I literally had someone going nuts, legitimately, over my red 944 yesterday.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sagebrush posted:

For a while they called airbags "supplementary restraint systems," implying that you were supposed to be always wearing your seatbelt, but thanks to industry lobbying they call them "passive restraints" instead.

My cars both say 'SRS airbag' on the covers - is this not the case in the USA?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fyodor posted:

90 pounds heavy?

The pax seatbelt chime goes off in my Volt if I leave my iPad on the seat. It took me a couple trips like that to figure out what the hell it was, since the chime itself isn't constant; It's an occasional (~3m interval) tri-chime.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I know a 40lb bag of cat litter will set off the sensor in my Golf without fail.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
It's great when the passenger occupancy electronics fail, disable the enitre SRS system and flood the driver with alarms... and costs 1K for a replacement board.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2009/pontiac/g8/air_bags/problem.aspx

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They should add seatbelt chimes to airplane seats that go off as soon as someone's been seated for more than 2 minutes without fastening their seatbelt, so people stop getting flung into the ceiling during turbulence. I feel like that's at least as large a safety issue as making sure I have my seatbelt on as I tool through a parking garage. Also, airplane seats should deliver a strong electric shock to That rear end in a top hat who needs to stand up 30 seconds before everyone else, before the seatbelt sign turns off.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PT6A posted:

They should add seatbelt chimes to airplane seats that go off as soon as someone's been seated for more than 2 minutes without fastening their seatbelt, so people stop getting flung into the ceiling during turbulence. I feel like that's at least as large a safety issue as making sure I have my seatbelt on as I tool through a parking garage. Also, airplane seats should deliver a strong electric shock to That rear end in a top hat who needs to stand up 30 seconds before everyone else, before the seatbelt sign turns off.

Good ideas, all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PT6A posted:

Also, airplane seats should deliver a strong electric shock to That rear end in a top hat who needs to stand up 30 seconds before everyone else, before the seatbelt sign turns off.

This is also the same guy that has to call someone before the wheels even touch the ground and spells out the airport code instead of just saying a loving city

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

go3 posted:

This is also the same guy that has to call someone before the wheels even touch the ground and spells out the airport code instead of just saying a loving city

The airport code thing doesn't bother me, unless they end up getting it wrong, in which case they deserve a kick in the nuts. But yes on the other things.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

The airport code thing doesn't bother me, unless they end up getting it wrong, in which case they deserve a kick in the nuts. But yes on the other things.

People saying DIA makes my eyeball twitch.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What's the earliest any of you are expected to take delivery of a Focus RS here in the states?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

People saying DIA makes my eyeball twitch.

I could maybe see it when Stapleton was still around since it owned DEN, but I don't think they ever overlapped for civilian air.

Also:
ABIA
TIA
KCI
HIA

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
In reading this I discovered that DEN is a) the largest airport, by land area, in the USA, and b) somewhat swastika-like in layout.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keep on digging and you'll start coming across the websites that explain how DEN is part of an illuminati/reptilian alien/satanist plot to do something or other with earth nexus lines and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sagebrush posted:

Keep on digging and you'll start coming across the websites that explain how DEN is part of an illuminati/reptilian alien/satanist plot to do something or other with earth nexus lines and so on.

Plus the weird horse that killed its maker.