Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Another Person posted:

So do most people, he just picked a super inflammatory tone for his response which doesn't really help anyone. Nobody begrudges him for correcting that fact, but he could do it so much more diplomatically. It is possible for people to be wrong on the internet.

tbh that seems like a completely fair thing to be super inflammatory about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Another Person posted:

So do most people, he just picked a super inflammatory tone for his response which doesn't really help anyone. Nobody begrudges him for correcting that fact, but he could do it so much more diplomatically. It is possible for people to be wrong on the internet.

This. The original poster probably read something somewhere and took it to be true, which isn't an unforgivable crime. The response was YOU SHALL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS YOU rear end in a top hat RRRAAARGH. Probably best to realize that , being a popular internet personality with a lot of stances that people loathe, there's gonna be some misinformation out there. He's like the RIAA, challenging someone downloading an MP3.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Way too many women watch your videos to make you a true YouTube star. Have you ever thought about yelling at them? Possibly in a British accent of some kind?

Don't post conflicting advice barons. Only one of us knows true YT success.

Also, try getting in with that teen crowd. Dye your hair blue, get a webcam and make sure you have a shelf full of pop vinyls and lootcrate toys in the background.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, bragging that you're huge with kids after this article: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/youtube-celebrities-uses-minecraft-to-prey-on-underage-fans

Is p hosed up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey TB on a more serious note follow Captain Internet's advice and maybe don't try to correct everyone who says something wrong about you on the internet, sorry I said inaccurate things about you based on hearsay, don't need to blow up complete with bar graphs after a 2.5 year hiatus though(golden post though, 5/5)

If you think what I said was bad though, maybe don't read SA, I think I've been pretty sympathetic to your plight as opposed to some of the poo poo I've seen people say about you getting cancer

Woffle posted:

This. The original poster probably read something somewhere and took it to be true, which isn't an unforgivable crime. The response was YOU SHALL NOT GET AWAY WITH THIS YOU rear end in a top hat RRRAAARGH. Probably best to realize that , being a popular internet personality with a lot of stances that people loathe, there's gonna be some misinformation out there. He's like the RIAA, challenging someone downloading an MP3.
yeah that

I apologize for that misinformation but hooooly moly, man

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 31, 2016

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Captain Invictus posted:

hey TB on a more serious note follow Captain Internet's advice and maybe don't try to correct everyone who says something wrong about you on the internet, sorry I said inaccurate things about you based on hearsay, don't need to blow up complete with bar graphs after a 2.5 year hiatus though(golden post though, 5/5)

If you think what I said was bad though, maybe don't read SA, I think I've been pretty sympathetic to your plight as opposed to some of the poo poo I've seen people say about you getting cancer

A good post.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

tbh that seems like a completely fair thing to be super inflammatory about

I could understand that if it was you responding to something that I said in this thread and neither of us had a name which carried weight outside of this thread. We are just two bystanders with equal lack of knowledge about each other and a similarly equal lack of sources of information about each of us, and nobody else would be saying things about either of us to provide misinformation. However, TB is not like that. He is a fairly prominent figure on the internet with a lot of information about him all over the place, some right, some wrong.

There is a certain point of recognition after which you have to accept that some people will be wrong about you, your positions and your actions, and there is no point leading a personal crusade over it. You can just issue a 'no, you are wrong and here is why' without going into a big tirade with insults. It doesn't help people, nor does it convince them that you are in the right (even if you did the right thing, or didn't do what you are accused of) because people see insults alongside information. I just think it is a poor way of addressing misinformed criticism.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will point out though that saying your viewership is only X percent female or Y percent kids means you aren't successful amongst them isn't actually true, because all those categories are not equal in size. There's fewer of certain demographics on YouTube, and they might also have different behaviours in terms of the videos they watch. Also due to age restrictions on some videos, there's an incentive for under 18s to set their ages to be higher - something that is fairly trivially done.

If they're drawing viewers from the pool of YouTube gaming related viewers, FractalSandwich is actually doing much better than average - that section averages out unfortunately at 90% male.

http://digiday.com/platforms/demographics-youtube-5-charts/

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 31, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah that

I apologize for that misinformation but hooooly moly, man

good response

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lying rear end in a top hat. Not only did we meet the kid in question and give him the VIP treatment at Coxcon (after I was cleared to fly, since flying international while your white blood-cell count is so low from chemo and radiation is dangerous), I dedicated my entire award speech at the 2014 Game Awards to him. What do you want me to say, sorry for not dropping everything immediately during intensive chemotherapy to fly halfway across the world, putting myself at serious risk of deadly infection? Sorry for waiting until I was cleared to fly safely? Ok, sorry that I can't live up your standards of sainthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6h9k7DZZ68
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/3fkn2v/remember_the_young_kid_who_tb_mentioned_in_his/
https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/627926149595799552

He is 17. And oh yeah, I'm HUUGGEE with kids

There's nothing kids love more than 45 minute long videos about the state of games media. They really dig that with their Cheerios.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna let this lying son of a bitch just sit here and get away with it. You wonder why Austin decided to do my show? Maybe because he's not a delusional liar like you are. Whatever crazed mental image of me you've conjured up in your head, it's bullshit. Shove it up your rear end.
drat son, maybe don't drink and post.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I want to get in on this analytics-posting action.

Am I doing it right?

holy poo poo girls watch your vids?!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

holy poo poo girls watch your vids?!

only american girls so they ain't the cool type

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Robiben posted:

A good post.

A bad post actually. I would be just as angry under the same circumstance.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Another Person posted:

only american girls so they ain't the cool type
Excuse me, you lying rear end in a top hat, only 58% of my viewers are American. But the sample size is too small for anyone else to get a row in that table.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Man Whore posted:

A bad post actually. I would be just as angry under the same circumstance.

Hey I'm not saying anything about TB's post. I honestly don't know if I'd be levelheaded under the same circumstances, in fact I'd probably be the opposite.

But Captain Invictus put a legitimate apology into his post. It was a bit snippy in spots but he still said sorry. In fact he even edited in another apology.

That way more than you can expect out of the Internet mostly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know this is a controversial position to take but I think the rational atheist podcast guy is justified in challenging accusations that he snubbed make a wish kids or whatever.

Plus invictus is an insufferable idiot.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah he's ok. A but heavy handed with the Anime sometimes but there are worse crimes.

And he knows a bit about game economies and those posts/emails are always good.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Excuse me, you lying rear end in a top hat, only 58% of my viewers are American. But the sample size is too small for anyone else to get a row in that table.

poo poo! sorry, i was just wrong on the internet. classic internet fame.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
TotalBiscuit stands up for consumer rights every day and what do you do? You make a post on a forum that's mildly wrong? Well then, prepare to face the full wrath of *overclocked video card and CPU melt as chrome tries to display embedded Webms *

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Compulsive lying STRIKES AGAIN.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jordan7hm posted:

I have no idea who you are and you have beef with me, is it because of anime? I hope it's because of anime.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Another Person posted:

counterpoint: no this poo poo's funny

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

counterpoint: no this poo poo's funny

very true and understood

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I like podcasts. Idle Weekend is a cool podcast. I want more Idle Thumbs podcasts. I want a Video Games Taco version of Idle Thumbs where we hear the partners talk about video games. Remember that time Janelle wrote in to correct some Nick Breckon stories? So good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Another Person posted:

I could understand that if it was you responding to something that I said in this thread and neither of us had a name which carried weight outside of this thread. We are just two bystanders with equal lack of knowledge about each other and a similarly equal lack of sources of information about each of us, and nobody else would be saying things about either of us to provide misinformation. However, TB is not like that. He is a fairly prominent figure on the internet with a lot of information about him all over the place, some right, some wrong.

There is a certain point of recognition after which you have to accept that some people will be wrong about you, your positions and your actions, and there is no point leading a personal crusade over it. You can just issue a 'no, you are wrong and here is why' without going into a big tirade with insults. It doesn't help people, nor does it convince them that you are in the right (even if you did the right thing, or didn't do what you are accused of) because people see insults alongside information. I just think it is a poor way of addressing misinformed criticism.

i dunno man saying wrong things about the guy loving over a dying child without checking into it is kind of beyond spreading a "little misinformation" so i think all parties here should step back and maybe reexamine what they're getting out of bad posts on the internet. be cool to each other.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah for loving real

Captain Invictus' lovely half-apology doesn't really make up for saying that he's an rear end in a top hat and he snubbed a kid who used his make a wish to meet him, like holy poo poo that's a heavy "you are a loving terrible person" accusation. it's not like hs just misinterpreted the dude's audience he straightup was like "he didn't give enough of a gently caress to visit a dying child whose one wish was to see him, what an rear end in a top hat"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I guess irony doesn't work on you.

Oh no, the cartoonishly evil thing some random stranger on the internet said about Total Biscuit isn't true. Good thing there isn't a huge backlog of vile and reprehensible things Total Biscuit has actually said!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

definitely down to a 4 now

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hey look a bunch of new pos-:yikes:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Isn't this the guy that admitted to profiting from laundering money from a Russian criminal organization on steam?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Isn't this the guy that admitted to profiting from laundering money from a Russian criminal organization on steam?

Pretty sure TotalBiscuit only jerks off to games that run at 60fps on steam, friend.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Didn't total buiscuit pull out the fillings of jews before they were sent to the gas chamber?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Man Whore posted:

Didn't total buiscuit pull out the fillings of jews before they were sent to the gas chamber?

the kid was one thing but this is too far

unsubbed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

yep that's me, comrade

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im really embarrassed for everyone that reviews video games for the internet.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

The thing I've realized about internet commentating in general, from posting on forums to games journalism to youtube superstardom is that the act of criticism, and passing judgement, is almost egomaniacal by definition. And considering that, it's hard for someone who does it for a living not to be insufferable

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 31, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Meanwhile, you're insufferable for free! :coolspot:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Meanwhile, you're insufferable for free! :coolspot:

ouch. all that anime posting has made you powerful, i see

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Siljmonster posted:

You'll never be the next Game Over Greggy with that attitude mister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You'll never be the next Game Over Greggy with that attitude mister.

Just like his name implies, we will all one day "Game Over". Some sooner than others.

• Locked thread