Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Don't see any tears tho. Just an angry wounded guy throwing the peace sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Good sir you have made me a rock.

Lugaloco posted:

Scotpol depresses me more then this thread so I very, very rarely visit it and when I do out of morbid curiosity I am usually filled with instant regret.

This thread is also depressing as well.

Coohoolin posted:

Seriously though scotpol is poo poo because 90% of it is closet Tories trying to convince everyone the SNP are really nazis and independence is a silly thing that we were all silly to honestly believe might have happened or been a good thing.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Extreme0 posted:

It cannae be contained.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Extreme0 posted:

I know! That's exactly what I said in my post too :)

Has anyone been checking out the Guardian's "This is the NHS" investigation thing? They've been putting out a shitload of content looking into many facets of the NHS, it's honestly kind of impressive.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Lol just had to explain to Saffron from Republica what "foos yer neeps" means in Doric. Should be a fun shift.

Coohoolin posted:

I just had to explain to Saffron what "foos yer nips" means, I'm way chill.

Neeps or nips, cos one of these is more than a little personal.
Also you mean "foo's", foos is a plant.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EmptyVessel posted:

Neeps or nips, cos one of these is more than a little personal.
Also you mean "foo's", foos is a plant.

She'd written it out as "neeps" but pretty sure she meant nips.

And she'd written "foo's" out as fuse so I was a bit confused for a second there.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

That sounds like there was a lot of them, or were they just spread out? I've heard something like 50 or 60 at the Nazi speeches but I'm guessing most of them weren't there to listen to some chat

They would attack down one alley or road, get beaten back, disappear, and then five minutes later come from another direction - hoping to catch us from behind or catch an isolated group. Market square is a big open area with lots of entrance and exit points and police had nowhere near the numbers to control all routes, so fash would try one that was unguarded, it would kick off for a few moments, then the police would rumble in and separate, the fash would dart down an alley or through the shopping centre and come from another angle. I think there were more than 60, but by that point in the day we had lost a lot of our number - a poo poo-load on our side bailed after the first big confrontation outside a church one or two roads away.
It's worth noting that the police made no effort whatsoever to restrict the fash today. None at all. They had total freedom of movement all the time, and the police only intervened to keep us kettled away from them.

Anyway, market square has this big podium in the centre where we guess the fash wanted to wave their stupid loving flags and do hardman poses or whatever, but ~no pasaran~

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

She'd written it out as "neeps" but pretty sure she meant nips.

And she'd written "foo's" out as fuse so I was a bit confused for a second there.

Wait, what??
Where ah'm fi "Hoo's yer nips?" = "How are your tits?" So no turnips involved at all? Go you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EmptyVessel posted:

Wait, what??
Where ah'm fi "Hoo's yer nips?" = "How are your tits?" So no turnips involved at all? Go you.

No turnips involved, no. Knowing the crowd here whoever she heard it from would not have been talking about her turnips.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Right, gotcha - thought you meant she passed you a note asking about yours and not "what the gently caress did someone in the audience just say to me?"
Also didn't realise how late it is (how?) and thought you might have been making small talk during a pre-gig meal on her part.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Oberleutnant posted:

They would attack down one alley or road, get beaten back, disappear, and then five minutes later come from another direction - hoping to catch us from behind or catch an isolated group. Market square is a big open area with lots of entrance and exit points and police had nowhere near the numbers to control all routes, so fash would try one that was unguarded, it would kick off for a few moments, then the police would rumble in and separate, the fash would dart down an alley or through the shopping centre and come from another angle. I think there were more than 60, but by that point in the day we had lost a lot of our number - a poo poo-load on our side bailed after the first big confrontation outside a church one or two roads away.
It's worth noting that the police made no effort whatsoever to restrict the fash today. None at all. They had total freedom of movement all the time, and the police only intervened to keep us kettled away from them.

Anyway, market square has this big podium in the centre where we guess the fash wanted to wave their stupid loving flags and do hardman poses or whatever, but ~no pasaran~

Anti-fascists that run away are leaving their own kind to get beaten up by fascists.

Disgrace. We are th epeople

No surrendaor

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EmptyVessel posted:

Right, gotcha - thought you meant she passed you a note asking about yours and not "what the gently caress did someone in the audience just say to me?"
Also didn't realise how late it is (how?) and thought you might have been making small talk during a pre-gig meal on her part.

Nah I was getting the guestlist from her, I wasn't being hit on by Republica's frontwoman. Good loving set though, she's throwing in a bunch of old punk covers.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Nah I was getting the guestlist from her, I wasn't being hit on by Republica's frontwoman.
Ah but ye live in hope. :v:

Coohoolin posted:

Good loving set though, she's throwing in a bunch of old punk covers.
Cool. Is it Republica or her with a backing band?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EmptyVessel posted:

Ah but ye live in hope. :v:

Cool. Is it Republica or her with a backing band?

Her own solo band. Ooh, teenage kicks now. Cool raw sound. Good shift, this.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

dispatch_async posted:

So you think austerity is good economic policy then?

Why would people on the left take advice from somebody who thinks right wing economic policy is correct?

Where are you getting that from? Just because I don't identify as left wing doesn't mean I immediately think austerity is a good idea. Additionally people should take advice from wherever if it's good advice and helps you achieve your aims without compromising your beliefs too much. Content and delivery can be fairly orthogonal to one another.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oberleutnant posted:

Sounds like a fun day out! It's kind of telling that, for all the apparent anger over immigration, only 60ish people out of a population of 63 million were motivated to turn out and break things. Good old-fashioned British apathy saving the day once again :britain:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
RIP Fluo

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I didn't know he presented Eurovision.

RIP Terry Wogan. :saddowns:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

How DARE you sir. This is grounds for a duel.

Seriously though scotpol is poo poo because 90% of it is closet Tories trying to convince everyone the SNP are really nazis and independence is a silly thing that we were all silly to honestly believe might have happened or been a good thing. I mean last time I checked Pissflaps had the highest post count in the thread so that tells you about all you need to know

Not every that disagrees with you is a Tory. The SNP and its supporters are not Nazis but are clearly loving the fact that Scotland is now a one party democratic state. Independence may or may not have been a good thing. The real worlds consists of more than just ideology and how much you hate Britain/English people/Colonial history and love CIVIC NATIONALISM. That covers everything apart from Pissflaps who has his own agency and I wouldn't think of speaking for him.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Milotic posted:

Where are you getting that from? Just because I don't identify as left wing doesn't mean I immediately think austerity is a good idea. Additionally people should take advice from wherever if it's good advice and helps you achieve your aims without compromising your beliefs too much. Content and delivery can be fairly orthogonal to one another.

You talked about the left thinking their ideas are more complex but correct, and that you disagreed with that. Austerity is the biggest political issue of the moment and fits your description; the public debate is mostly about 'national credit cards' and the left dismisses that analysis as too simplistic and also incorrect. If you weren't talking about austerity I don't know what you were talking about.

If you agree that austerity is bad policy then how do you propose explaining an alternative economic policy in a way that's as simple as 'national credit card' or 'no money left'?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
RIP T-Wog$. I see you, bruv. Hold tight.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
:rip: Sir Terence of Wogan :(

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Tories lobbying to protect Google’s £30bn island tax haven

quote:

Britain has been privately lobbying the EU to remove the tax haven through which Google funnels billions of pounds of profits from an official blacklist, the Observer can reveal.

Treasury ministers have told the European commission that they are “strongly opposed” to proposed sanctions against Bermuda, a favoured shelter for Google’s profits and one of 30 tax jurisdictions in Brussels’s sights.

The disclosure is made in a memorandum circulated among Tory MEPs in Brussels that describes potential “countermeasures” against blacklisted tax havens as “unhelpful”.

Google is expected to announce on Monday that it has amassed £30bn of profits from non-US sales in Bermuda, where companies are not liable to pay corporation tax. The UK is Google’s largest non-US market, accounting for 11% of its global revenues, according to documents filed in America.

The revelation follows widespread condemnation of the “sweetheart” deal struck between HMRC and Google that saw the internet giant agree to pay only £130m in back taxes on the estimated £7.2bn that it earned in profits over the past decade.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
God what a shower of bastards

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
aw :rip:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Oberleutnant posted:

:rip: Sir Terence of Wogan :(

What the gently caress is wrong with this winter :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Coohoolin posted:

Seriously though scotpol is poo poo because 90% of it is closet Tories trying to convince everyone the SNP are really nazis and independence is a silly thing that we were all silly to honestly believe might have happened or been a good thing. I mean last time I checked Pissflaps had the highest post count in the thread so that tells you about all you need to know

I certainly don't believe the SNP are Nazis. They certainly were turbotories not very long ago, but that's quite a different thing.

You on the other hand were an actual white supremacist in your former life in Switzerland. :/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

But if we make Google actually pay their taxes then they won't want to do business here anymore and we'll all have to use Bing instead.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

crispix posted:

You on the other hand were an actual white supremacist in your former life in Switzerland. :/
wait, what?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A touching tribute:

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/693735852246241280

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/article1662933.ece

'Eurosceptic' Tory MP Mark Pritchard posted:

In recent months, I have come to the view that, on balance, Britain should remain in the European Union. This may surprise some of my parliamentary colleagues who might ask: how can an MP who helped lead the so-called 81 rebellion, which called for an EU referendum, and who co-drafted the parliamentary motion calling on the EU to cut its ballooning budget, and has suggested leaving the EU, now campaign to stay in Europe?
These issues need to be separated. Today, there are many Conservative eurosceptics like me who rightly view an EU referendum as a necessary re-enfranchisement of the European deal, and the EU budget motion being more about Brussels understanding Britain’s necessary austerity rather than anti-Europeanism.
A decision to isolate Britain from Europe would have significant national security implications. First, a British exit would end Britain’s political and diplomatic counterbalance to France and Germany’s strategic clumsiness. An exit would rob Europe of the elder Anglo statesman: a country that brings huge international experience, a voice of political reason and diplomatic pragmatism, as well as a key driver of economic liberalism.
Second, Britain’s exit could also weaken Nato, with Germany and France extending Europe’s own defence structures and budgets, such as the European Defence Agency. In itself this is not a hostile undertaking, but soon, complementary defence could be replaced by defence competition, undermining an alliance that has safeguarded Europe for nearly seven decades. This weakening of Nato would be a huge strategic miscalculation by Europe and would embolden the alliance’s enemies.
Third, a British exit would rob the EU of Britain’s diplomatic advice and counsel. Diplomacy is an integral part of national security. This loss of foreign policy effect and leverage would lead to Europe’s responses to international conflicts and humanitarian crises being devoid of Britain’s input. Over time, proven and collective European foreign policy would be replaced by a Franco-German-dominated foreign policy, less Atlanticist and higher risk.
Our politicians and diplomats would no longer sit at Europe’s top diplomatic decision-making tables — leading, influencing, encouraging, restraining, warning, and continuing to offer Britain’s diplomatic astuteness on matters of land, air and sea. Britain’s departure would downgrade and fundamentally weaken Europe’s foreign policy-making capability.
Turns out that for all bar the lunatic right of the Tory party, all the yammering about wanting to leave the EU was just a sham. Who'da thunk it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Aye, RIP Fluo :(

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Wait, actually?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

DesperateDan posted:

What? This isn't real, right?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yeah, no joke, his family announced it to his facebook profile, RIP forums poster and IRC legend Fluo :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Well, poo poo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pesmerga posted:

What? This isn't real, right?

Yeah it's a hilarious edgy joke.

quote:

Unfortunately I have been unable to get in touch with all David;s freinds and it is with the utmost sadness and devastation that I have to let you all know that our wonderful, kind, brave, son David Bridges passed away last night suddenly. Thank you all for being such a good freind to David there are no words and we still cant believe it. Funeral arrangements will not be known until after the Post Mortem is done but we will let you all know.

RIP our amazing son 25 years is too young to die you had so many plans after years of struggling with OCD xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The gently caress happened?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
What happened? That's awful.

RIP Fluo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I heard Fluo died of the Fail AIDS he caught from being bad at videogames

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread