Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I still never really played Myst or its sequels. Would y'all computer relic goons recommend it?

There's two versions on GOG.com: one that's basically the original (Masterpiece Edition), and another called REAL MYST that has full 3D environments by the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I still never really played Myst or its sequels. Would y'all computer relic goons recommend it?

There's two versions on GOG.com: one that's basically the original (Masterpiece Edition), and another called REAL MYST that has full 3D environments by the looks of it.

what the gently caress are you saying

those things are more kosher than you will ever be

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

blainestereo posted:

what the gently caress are you saying

those things are more kosher than you will ever be

Come again? :confused:

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Come again? :confused:

yeah yeah yeah yeah check this

not. kosher.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

so close :negative:

also the sound cues for cardinal points was bullshit, I don't think anyone figured out how that was supposed to work

the blank journal that came in the game box for notes and maps was pretty pro, though

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Mak0rz posted:

Original for that 1x CD-ROM rendered video nostalgia

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
After my high school shop class got tired of playing Wolfenstein 3D, we moved onto Streed Rod

it was fun, and you had to do all your own engine work!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Mak0rz posted:

I spent a lot of time on that very bad and uninteresting puzzle game as a kid and I say definitely play it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

After my high school shop class got tired of playing Wolfenstein 3D, we moved onto Streed Rod

it was fun, and you had to do all your own engine work!

I remember that game - used to play it a fair amount. Was pretty well-done, at least as far as I can recall.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

real myst.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still can't navigate anywhere in the original Myst at all, since there are no transitions between screens. When it's just a series of still images like that I can't link them together spatially in my head at all and even in basic outdoor areas I have no idea where I am as soon as I click once. I tried RealMyst and it solves that problem, but it's done in a completely different and very unappealing art style.

Edit: It looks like there is now Myst, Myst: Masterpiece Edition, RealMyst, and RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition. :confused:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jan 31, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I still can't navigate anywhere in the original Myst at all, since there are no transitions between screens. When it's just a series of still images like that I can't link them together spatially in my head at all and even in basic outdoor areas I have no idea where I am as soon as I click once.

You were supposed to install APPLE QUICKTIME with the game so that the cutting edge screen transitions play iirc

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I loved my 32x + sega cd combo. I had Night trap and Supreme Warrior. Loved FMV games. But I played doom and virtua fighter the most. Best system ever until playstation literally blew it the gently caress away. No regrets.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

You were supposed to install APPLE QUICKTIME with the game so that the cutting edge screen transitions play iirc

You mean all the videos... the original Myst was a HyperCard project done with a lot of pre-rendered static background images done with ray tracing and live staged and filmed QuickTime videos on top.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
First time I played myst I was like "Fuckin sweet this game is gonna be intense as gently caress." So I started walking around and there was just this note on the ground and it was all "woah this poo poo is gonna be heavy and cerebral, I better keep this I'll probably need it."

"Wait what the gently caress. Why can't I shove this note into like a pocket? I can only read it and put it back where I found it? gently caress THIS"

and I turned it off and never played again. My uncle ended up getting way into it but had a lot of problems getting it to work on his laptop.

I seriously put like 7 minutes into that game then quit and never went back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SniperWoreConverse posted:

First time I played myst I was like "Fuckin sweet this game is gonna be intense as gently caress." So I started walking around and there was just this note on the ground and it was all "woah this poo poo is gonna be heavy and cerebral, I better keep this I'll probably need it."

"Wait what the gently caress. Why can't I shove this note into like a pocket? I can only read it and put it back where I found it? gently caress THIS"

and I turned it off and never played again. My uncle ended up getting way into it but had a lot of problems getting it to work on his laptop.

I seriously put like 7 minutes into that game then quit and never went back.

When was the first time you played this? When this game came out it was totally unique, to hell with retaining a huge inventory.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dunno if it was when it first came out or not, but not being able to keep that scrap of paper blew the whole goddamn thing for me. I saw the huge notes section in the manual and thought it'd be a waste of time transcribing poo poo into it.

I think I had to have been still in gradeschool but I can't remember tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
TrippLite under monitor surge protector FTW:

My parents bought that one to replace the older one that was sold at a garage sale back in the day.

Im gonna try to hook up my C64 this week and see if I can boot any games.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I played myst on atari jaguar CD

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
but bring me ONLY THE BLUE PAGES

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

max4me posted:

I played myst on atari jaguar CD

I played myst on my iPhone

and also whatever lovely PC that was in the library during middle school back in the early 90's.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
the original myst is the classic you should play if you want to and havent, but tbh i never could find my way around for poo poo in it and only ever beat any of the Ages in RealMyst.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Dunno if it was when it first came out or not, but not being able to keep that scrap of paper blew the whole goddamn thing for me. I saw the huge notes section in the manual and thought it'd be a waste of time transcribing poo poo into it.

I know, I don't have time for that poo poo..

quote:

I think I had to have been still in gradeschool but I can't remember tbh.

..but you did if you were still in gradeschool!

When I played Hexen 2 I didn't bother writing down the stuff that was written around the place, and it wasn't too hard to remember what to do, e.g. I just need to find this one thing, then go back to this place and it'll tell me the next thing I need, but then there was one world where you needed to pick a constellation that matched something else and I'm glad that GameFAQs exists in this modern age of Internets so when I lose interest in a puzzle I can skip over it :v:

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does anyone remember how lots of pre-1992 didn't have a map feature? You were expected to draw your own maps on paper as you went.

Indeed. Necessary for every Zork, King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and Black Cauldron.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Has anyone mentioned Monuments of Mars or Arctic Adventure? I remember playing the poo poo out of those games.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
when you guys were playing Myst I had Quake2 going with hardware acceleration

loving casuals

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

hhhat posted:

when you guys were playing Myst I had Quake2 going with hardware acceleration

loving casuals

You're like that guy in my class who got the first generation AMD Athlon 500 MHz, while everyone else struggled with Pentium 2s and AMD K6-2s, and I hate you :(

Brand new PC, I think it cost him (his parents) around $2000 back then.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mng posted:

You're like that guy in my class who got the first generation AMD Athlon 500 MHz, while everyone else struggled with Pentium 2s and AMD K6-2s, and I hate you :(

Brand new PC, I think it cost him (his parents) around $2000 back then.

Don't be mad. I could buy it for myself just because I'm old and I'm going to die before you because of it. In a way you're the winner.

:corsair:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Me and my friend literally lost our poo poo once we got this game to load after the proper amount of voodoo magic editing config.sys and autoexec.bat which felt like an eternity to get the drat thing to load; But once we witnessed the intro happen we knew we had found nirvana.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore and that's a goddamn shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktBJ6HpNJQ

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Here's some old poo poo I have

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I don't remember if it was the Diamond Monster 3d or the 3d II but I bought one of them with money from my part time job.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5rvVJULqw

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hhhat posted:

disk operating system nice

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

disk operating system nice

DOS to those in the know :c00l: We had those with our IBM-PC, they sat on the shelf above our computer for as long as I can remember, along with the boxes for visicalc and some early database application I forget the name of.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

DOS to those in the know :c00l: We had those with our IBM-PC, they sat on the shelf above our computer for as long as I can remember, along with the boxes for visicalc and some early database application I forget the name of.

Was it the awesome Lotus Approach?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Was it the awesome Lotus Approach?

No, wasn't that. It might have been dBase III, but that doesn't sound quite right either.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

hhhat posted:

Same, but I got them from my :corsair: dad (but I actually referred to them in the '80s so I guess I'm a bit :corsair:).

Did you ever "install the documentation" for a PC Magazine utility? And by that I mean cut out and hole punch the manual page and add it to your ring binder:

(from Google Books)

(I didn't)

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
In my last year of highschool my biology teacher was this odd unmarried guy in his 30s. He walks into class one day and without even saying hello just announces "Does anyone here know what to do in the planetarium in Myst?"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Lathespin.gif posted:

somehow missed a turn while mapping the undergound in myst and after a few days ended up calling a buddy on a landline to consult his handwritten notes and maps crew represent

e: pretty dang sure it was going northeast at PS or P on this map :argh:

I played Myst right when it came out. The rail puzzle killed me. I used the Minotaur Maze solution to solve it (put your right hand on the wall and keep turning left when blocked until you get out). It took hours. I drew the whole thing out in a notebook. I was so proud.

My wife played it a few years later and solved it in just a few minutes using the sounds. I'm a fool. The sounds never occurred to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Robnoxious posted:

Me and my friend literally lost our poo poo once we got this game to load after the proper amount of voodoo magic editing config.sys and autoexec.bat which felt like an eternity to get the drat thing to load; But once we witnessed the intro happen we knew we had found nirvana.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore and that's a goddamn shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktBJ6HpNJQ

LucasArts/LucasFilm adventure games were the best. Sadly, I never played the last couple (The Dig and Full Throttle).
However, I did spend quite a bit of time on these:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I tried so hard, but I never got past the catacombs :(
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (?) - This one was a bit easier with a great story. Graphics were so much better than the predecessor.
Maniac Mansion - I think I tried this only once and gave up at the first sign of a puzzle because it wasn't as nice as other games.
Day of the Tentacle - I actually bought this one when it came out. Fun game, I think I played through it 2-3 times. I still have it.
Monkey Island 1 & 2 - These were actually my introduction to adventure games of that style and they were my favorites. I don't think I beat either one without a printed walkthrough due to the many wacky puzzles.

I also played a couple of Leisure Suit Larry games, but probably only due to the boob factor. The games themselves weren't super-great to a kid.