Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

Considering the show will be over before the next book even comes out I'm going to hold it as canon and whatever gurm writes afterwards is just his silly little fanfic about the popular HBO series.

Why do you care about something being canon?

This sounds like some sort of passive aggressive "hey GRRM if you're reading this you're a big dummy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

Why do you care about something being canon?

This sounds like some sort of passive aggressive "hey GRRM if you're reading this you're a big dummy".

I assure you there is nothing passive about me calling gurm a big dummy. Or a poo poo dicked fat gently caress that deserves all the worst things in the world to happen to him and those he loves because he won't finish writing some books I kinda sorta used to like.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I assure you there is nothing passive about me calling gurm a big dummy. Or a poo poo dicked fat gently caress that deserves all the worst things in the world to happen to him and those he loves because he won't finish writing some books I kinda sorta used to like.

GOT SPOILER Thread.txt

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
https://youtu.be/lle4t4o8EDk

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Solice Kirsk posted:

you're pathetic

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Austrian mook posted:

you're pathetic

As the guy who's favorite book is AFFC, you are the resident expert on pathetic.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

counterfeitsaint posted:

As the guy who's favorite book is AFFC, you are the resident expert on pathetic.

Why does my personal, subjective opinion bother you so much? What do you have against Feast for Crows?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Other than a few of the Brienne filler chapters AFFC was p. good for the most part.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ya, thw Brienne plot goes on for too long but theres some truly excellent stuff there

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Austrian mook posted:

Why does my personal, subjective opinion bother you so much? What do you have against Feast for Crows?

It is a garbage book that is almost universally agreed as the worst one of the series. The only thing that 'bothers' me is that you call D&D literal war criminals while holding GRRM up to be this astounding, flawless writer. The reality is they both produce bloated garbage, and have for awhile now. Also whenever you're around you have to respond to everyone, and do it separately, so every other post in tv thread is you being terrible. Why aren't you posting in the bad thread instead since you clearly prefer the books so much?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Where are you getting it being universally agreed on as the worst? Hes among the most accomplished and successful authors ever, none of his books are close to bad. And hey, theres no tv to talk about genius

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Austrian mook posted:

Where are you getting it being universally agreed on as the worst? Hes among the most accomplished and successful authors ever, none of his books are close to bad. And hey, theres no tv to talk about genius

Counterpoint: books 4 and 5. If the first three has between written to that quality we wouldn't be here giving a poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're good books though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Steve2911 posted:

They're good books though.

They are good, but meandering. I had the same issue with Wizard and Glass when I read through it, for anyone else who's read The Dark Tower series. I really enjoyed the two books on re-reads, but they're interesting sidestories that flesh out the characters and world, but don't move the actual plot forward very much. Wizard and Glass was especially bad for this, because 75% of the book was literally a flashback story, and the main group is literally sitting around a campfire listening to it. The first time through, I loving hated them both, because I kept wanting more of the main plot and couldn't give a poo poo about Shagwell the evil clown or whatever.

Unfortunately, whereas I've read the entire Dark Tower series and can enjoy Wizard and Glass for what it is -- fairly important backstory, and an interesting story in and of itself -- the ASoIaF series still isn't loving done, so as of right now it just looks like Gurm losing the thread and getting bogged down in garbage like Shagwell and Penny the dwarf.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*westeros, in a few years' time*
summer's coming!!!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think part of the reason that the plot for 4 and 5 seems less "there" is because quite a bit of this stuff was supposed to be backstory after the time jump, but he realized if he did that we'd just be flashbacking to much of what happened in 4 and 5 anyway, so that's why he changed his mind and actually wrote the potential flashbacks as books in their own right and gave up on the time jump.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

FuhrerHat posted:

*westeros, in a few years' time*
summer's coming!!!

Game of Thrones 2: Hot Summer Knights

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ugly John posted:

Counterpoint: books 4 and 5. If the first three has between written to that quality we wouldn't be here giving a poo poo.

Book 2 is just as meandering, and lots of Book 3 is too (especially all of the Arya poo poo).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I feel like in terms of skill Crows is up there with the first three but content wise it's kind of just there, the opposite is true of 5. There's lots of stuff happening but the skill has taken a nose dive. There's severe disconnect between the chapters that were written right before the book went to print and the ones that were written back for Crows. It's very jarring.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

Book 2 is just as meandering, and lots of Book 3 is too (especially all of the Arya poo poo).

Nah, not really. They meander in different ways.

The first three books are relatively solid in their overarching story. They meander here and there because not every storyline within the overall story is going to be solid. The last two books are just kind of poo poo in the overarching story, which means that, depending on how much that bothers you, the whole thing might just seem insanely boring (or just parts).

When people talk about the last two books positively they often just talk about individual storylines (because those can still be decent), but you don't hear a lot of people saying that the juggling of the storylines and how they all tie together to form one big story is done amazingly or anything. Whereas you can definitely say that about the first and third book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pedro De Heredia posted:

When people talk about the last two books positively they often just talk about individual storylines (because those can still be decent), but you don't hear a lot of people saying that the juggling of the storylines and how they all tie together to form one big story is done amazingly or anything. Whereas you can definitely say that about the first and third book.

First book sure, because everyone's more or less contiguous (or at least it's King's Landing, Winterfell, The Wall, Dany, and three of those began at Winterfell anyway).

By book 3 you have Arya off in the middle of nowhere, Bran & Rickon off in the middle of nowhere, Jaime and Brienne in the middle of nowhere, Jon is sort of in the middle of nowhere, Sansa's still at King's Landing but she disappears for a while, and Cat is stuck in a tower for half of the book before dying. I won't even mention Dany because she's always off doing her own thing.

Tywin is sort of a unifying force for Cat, Arya and King's Landing stuff but only very tangentially for Arya. Which makes sense, because the whole point of the book is how the nobles down south don't care about anything but their own fiefdom.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Arya's plot in book 3 is really good though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The first half of ASOS bored me to tears, I don't really know why but it did. I actually got so bored I quit reading 3 chapters before the Red Wedding :v:

Needless to say, picking it back up was a bit of a :asoiaf: moment, except with a book instead of a TV

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

webmeister posted:

Needless to say, picking it back up was a bit of a :asoiaf: moment, except with a book instead of a TV

I urge you to pause and ponder what that smiley specifically references.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

webmeister posted:

The first half of ASOS bored me to tears, I don't really know why but it did. I actually got so bored I quit reading 3 chapters before the Red Wedding :v:

I think most people had a similar reaction, as with the end of Ned Stark and maybe even the golden crown. A lot of the negative reaction to the last two books, short of GRRM taking his sweet time, is how long and plodding and frankly unsurprising everything has been. We signed up for :asoiaf: and got :btroll: :effort:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In Gurm's defense, he did kill off the main character in book 5, which would have been a pretty holy gently caress moment if anyone anywhere believed he was actually dead for good.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
If he hadn't thrown in a bunch of unnecessary fakeout deaths, maybe somebody out there would've taken Jon's death seriously.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kajeesus posted:

In Gurm's defense, he did kill off the main character in book 5, which would have been a pretty holy gently caress moment if anyone anywhere believed he was actually dead for good.

Everything would have been fine in the last book if the climaxes of both major stories weren't cut out. It's a whole book (and 6 years of waiting) of build up and then it ends. With some editing and the removal of some boring unnecessary chapters (Most of Tyrion's in that book, Quintyn, Jon Connington, etc) and keeping at least one of the battles in, I think it could have been seen as the same quality as the first three.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kajeesus posted:

He didn't kill Penny...

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

First book sure, because everyone's more or less contiguous (or at least it's King's Landing, Winterfell, The Wall, Dany, and three of those began at Winterfell anyway).

By book 3 you have Arya off in the middle of nowhere, Bran & Rickon off in the middle of nowhere, Jaime and Brienne in the middle of nowhere, Jon is sort of in the middle of nowhere, Sansa's still at King's Landing but she disappears for a while, and Cat is stuck in a tower for half of the book before dying. I won't even mention Dany because she's always off doing her own thing.

Tywin is sort of a unifying force for Cat, Arya and King's Landing stuff but only very tangentially for Arya. Which makes sense, because the whole point of the book is how the nobles down south don't care about anything but their own fiefdom.

In the third book, the general story of "a group of factions are fighting to take control of the Iron Throne" is still true, still has momentum, and can still be used to divide characters into factions (The Starks, The Lannisters). Most of the characters still tie to this at least emotionally (we expect them to meet up, we expect them to influence each other's plots, we expect a more traditional narrative arc). And some of them do meet up (Jamie gets back to King's Landing).

That structure and conflict are largely gone now that the Lannisters as a faction don't exist in the same way, the Starks as a faction don't even really exist, and the fight for the throne is largely meaningless.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

In the third book, the general story of "a group of factions are fighting to take control of the Iron Throne" is still true, still has momentum, and can still be used to divide characters into factions (The Starks, The Lannisters). Most of the characters still tie to this at least emotionally (we expect them to meet up, we expect them to influence each other's plots, we expect a more traditional narrative arc). And some of them do meet up (Jamie gets back to King's Landing).

That structure and conflict are largely gone now that the Lannisters as a faction don't exist in the same way, the Starks as a faction don't even really exist, and the fight for the throne is largely meaningless.

That was always the point of the series though. The houses are so vain and selfish that they'll expend all of their resources and leave the continent in a terrible state, making them woefully unprepared when real problems start occurring.

The war of the five kings was always a distraction. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire rather than Game of Thrones for a reason.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Steve2911 posted:

The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire rather than Game of Thrones for a reason.

Um... about that.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

That was always the point of the series though. The houses are so vain and selfish that they'll expend all of their resources and leave the continent in a terrible state, making them woefully unprepared when real problems start occurring.

The war of the five kings was always a distraction. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire rather than Game of Thrones for a reason.

Furthermore, much of books 4 and 5 are about the aftermath of the war, which is why one of them is called A Feast for Crows. They're very deliberately meant to be a capstone on the war that served as the main storyline of the first three books, showing the opportunistic scrambling to exploit what's been left in the aftermath and also demonstrating that the victors and the losers alike have been irrevocably changed, most for the worse, by this ordeal.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Steve2911 posted:

He didn't kill Penny...

I forgot about so many of the secondary bullshit side characters that mercifully didn't make it to the screen. No excuse for not getting Strong Belwas, though.

I realised that my appreciation for this show is like Maddox/The Best Page In The Universe circa fifteen years ago- first entertained, then waiting for each update, then forgetting about it, then actively savaging the obvious faults as my powers of reasoning and cognition mature and develop. But rather than a gimmick that's worn thin it's something which is actively declining in quality.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Beeez posted:

Furthermore, much of books 4 and 5 are about the aftermath of the war, which is why one of them is called A Feast for Crows. They're very deliberately meant to be a capstone on the war that served as the main storyline of the first three books, showing the opportunistic scrambling to exploit what's been left in the aftermath and also demonstrating that the victors and the losers alike have been irrevocably changed, most for the worse, by this ordeal.

I find the last two books are greatly improved if you just skip a bunch of chapters. I skipped Brienne's entire POV in AFFC and boom, she's back in Jaime's in ADWD. Fully caught up and if you actually read it you can attest I missed exactly butt gently caress all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The last two books are really good provided you ignore most of them, and don't mind the lack of a climax, BUT OTHER THAN THAT THEY'RE REALLY GOOD GUYS.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly it would have been fine if the Winterfell story line had been concluded and its next caretaker (Jon or Stannis) had been installed by the end of book 5. If Martin had cut the poo poo it could have been a repeat of the Blackwater that tied up the story lines for Theon, Stannis, Jon, the Boltons and finally given the Starks (or at least a Stark ally) a 'good' ending for the books instead of just a repeat of 'BAD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YER A GOOD GUY'. Dany's story line made for an epic cliff hanger that people don't appreciate because nothing in the book was loving finished.

It also would have been nice to get a whole extra chapter from Jaime/Brienne where they meet Stoneheart, or see results from the Brotherhoods insurrection against the Lannisters and Freys. It's not even that 4 & 5 are half books, or whatever, it's that they're 80% books that just end with no catharsis or somewhere for the story's momentum to finish. Hell, book 5 could have been a really hopeful book if the Boltons were decimated and the Freys and Lannisters started feeling a real squeeze in the Riverlands. It would have been a breath of fresh air.

I almost think if a creative type truly wants to produce a master piece he needs to publish only after the entire thing is written and done with. The moment people hear praise like 'the American Tolkein' or 'most popular TV show of all time' it immediately goes to their heads and convinces them of their own greatness and, thus, ensures their fall from grace.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

The last two books are really good provided you ignore most of them, and don't mind the lack of a climax, BUT OTHER THAN THAT THEY'RE REALLY GOOD GUYS.

I actually think they're good novels on their own. By good I mean well written and enjoyable to read. By well written I mean that what happens is easy to follow conceptually and the sentences simple to parse. I think it's the "enjoyable to read" bit that people disagree with although obviously people love to make fun of fat pink mast and making GBS threads in a field because GRRM's a big weirdo and the people obsessed with hating him even moreso.

I think for a lot of fans of books 1-3 the last two books fall under the category of "not what I signed up for" while I was really thrilled to get a closer look at some of Westeros. How the nobles and smallfolk will each deal with the havoc that's been created in the Riverlands and the internal politics of Mereen and the Iron Islands (and to a lesser extent Yunkai and the rest of slavers bay) are hugely interesting to me and I enjoyed and appreciated their exploration. I'd feel a lot more appreciative if their exploration was a stop on the way to finishing the series and I certainly understand the sentiment of "this is all we get?" but I can't help but enjoy reading and rereading AFFC and ADWD. I honestly skip more in books 1-3 during reread (Bran) than in the last two.

Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way and this forum is full of people in both camps when it comes to Feast and Dance. A post about the last to books being good is equally likely to be met with "lol of course they are why do you think that's controversial?" as "lol you're an idiot and that fat bastard will be dead as DOS before he writes another poo poo filled tome"

As it stands George wrote five good books and depending on your taste you'll like some more than others.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Harold Stassen posted:

I find the last two books are greatly improved if you just skip a bunch of chapters. I skipped Brienne's entire POV in AFFC and boom, she's back in Jaime's in ADWD. Fully caught up and if you actually read it you can attest I missed exactly butt gently caress all.

Briennes POV is good, and a few of her chapters are among the best in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cirofren posted:

I actually think they're good novels on their own. By good I mean well written and enjoyable to read. By well written I mean that what happens is easy to follow conceptually and the sentences simple to parse. I think it's the "enjoyable to read" bit that people disagree with although obviously people love to make fun of fat pink mast and making GBS threads in a field because GRRM's a big weirdo and the people obsessed with hating him even moreso.

I think for a lot of fans of books 1-3 the last two books fall under the category of "not what I signed up for" while I was really thrilled to get a closer look at some of Westeros. How the nobles and smallfolk will each deal with the havoc that's been created in the Riverlands and the internal politics of Mereen and the Iron Islands (and to a lesser extent Yunkai and the rest of slavers bay) are hugely interesting to me and I enjoyed and appreciated their exploration. I'd feel a lot more appreciative if their exploration was a stop on the way to finishing the series and I certainly understand the sentiment of "this is all we get?" but I can't help but enjoy reading and rereading AFFC and ADWD. I honestly skip more in books 1-3 during reread (Bran) than in the last two.

Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way and this forum is full of people in both camps when it comes to Feast and Dance. A post about the last to books being good is equally likely to be met with "lol of course they are why do you think that's controversial?" as "lol you're an idiot and that fat bastard will be dead as DOS before he writes another poo poo filled tome"

As it stands George wrote five good books and depending on your taste you'll like some more than others.

Pretty much this. It's OK to dislike Feast and Dance; but don't pretend that's anything but ur opinion.

• Locked thread