Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

the auto-merge in TFS is really, really stupid - it's otherwise hard to gently caress up though.

Word. Once it managed to pretty much entirely revert a branch when merging it to trunk, which has led to some fun times (and me copy pasting the files over a checked out trunk, as it was the only sane way to make the merge :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Just found this in the codebase of a hospital information system which is currently live in a dozen different hospitals.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Illegal Move posted:

Just found this in the codebase of a hospital information system which is currently live in a dozen different hospitals.

I assume this is software used by staff and users would not be exposed to it, but I am amused by the idea of someone in hospital seeing a technical error message that refers to things called "dieAlready" and "iHateYou". (as long as they're not someone I know or care about)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

From what I know of hospital information systems, that looks about right.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

No Safe Word posted:

This is where TFVC goes wrong in insidious ways though. It "cleanly merges" changes incorrectly. It's been too long since we've used it for me to provide concrete examples, but there definitely were multiple instances where a supposed clean merge popped up later on as being the incorrect resolution of the conflict.

Happened to me just the other day! Someone deleted a file, which removes a line from the project file, but does not delete the local file from disk when you update. It totally-safely-no-problems-no-need-to-check-my-work-I-swear merged the changes and kept the deleted line in the project file on my end, possibly because there were lines added to mine in the same area, so it might have thought they were all new. Everything looks great to me because I still have the file so VS can build everything no problem. All tests are passing, so I check in my changes... and break the build because there's a missing file on the build server because the file tree gets rebuilt every time from scratch.

Whenever we synchronize branches it takes a developer offline for anywhere between a half a day and two depending on the size of the changeset and generally still introduces tons of regressions. Good thing our project has some extremely anal QA people and also that it's ending soon.

E: spellang

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 26, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Illegal Move posted:

Wow. After we had to get ISO certified even mild jokes in line comments became forbidden. I can't imagine what kind of quality control a vendor who releases that poo poo must have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe it's an acronym, Health and Time Estimate.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wow. After we had to get ISO certified even mild jokes in line comments became forbidden. I can't imagine what kind of quality control a vendor who releases that poo poo must have.

Until recently, we had a function called 'fucking_main'. It was internal, at least, but not a unique case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does ISO actually require straight-faced comments, or just consistent enforcement of whatever policy your organization chooses around them?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Subjunctive posted:

Does ISO actually require straight-faced comments, or just consistent enforcement of whatever policy your organization chooses around them?

What we were told was that the latter is formally the case, but that some auditors are more likely than others to decide to nitpick and make things harder on you if they spot indications of "lax culture". For the same reason we had to stop using issue titles like "Architecture of <thing> is incredibly stupid", and QA was banned from using cat memes in QA notes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

QA was banned from using cat memes in QA notes.

:yikes:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

QAers loving love memes and image macros that are multiple years out of date. It almost seems like it's a requirement to get hired as a QAer. I've seen that drat "HAHAHA, BUSINESS!" macro so many times in design comments where the use case for the development was basically "weird customer business need".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like the GIFs in our code review tool. :colbert:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Still trying to work this into a code review somehow

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

If there's webm/mp4 support please tell me where to send my resume.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

If there's webm/mp4 support please tell me where to send my resume.

I think there's a task open for it. We already have the transcoding pipeline, so it wouldn't be too hard.

Two of my favourites are

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Our dev slack channel has like a 50/50 ratio of actual messages to giphys

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

Our dev slack channel has like a 50/50 ratio of actual messages to giphys

Which is why we disabled GIFs and giphy. Because while devs were bad, marketing was much worse.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For us it's the emoji. We have well over 800 unique ones now.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
Came upon a nice indenting style in the wild:

https://github.com/jkphl/svg-sprite/tree/master/lib/svg-sprite

code:
// Basic configuration example
config                  = {
    mode                : {
        css             : {     // Activate the «css» mode
            render      : {
                css     : true  // Activate CSS output (with default options)
            }
        }
    }
};
code:
var svg						= this.xmlDeclaration + this.doctypeDeclaration;
svg							+= '<svg';
for (var attr in this.rootAttributes) {
	svg						+= ' ' + attr + '="' + _.escape(this.rootAttributes[attr]) + '"';
}
svg							+= '>';
svg							+= this.content.join('');
svg							+= '</svg>';

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

M31 posted:

code:
            }
        }
    }
};
code:
svg							+= '<svg';
}
svg							+= '>';
svg							+= '</svg>';

What the hell.

Apparently there was a complaint about this, and the maintainer asked his neighbour (who is a developer) for his opinion. The neighbour said it's readable and the issue was closed.

https://github.com/jkphl/svg-sprite/issues/114

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 27, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is it just me, or is "well, someone likes it" now the universal response to criticism online?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Coding horrors: it's always javascript, that's the horror

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
is this the place to talk about things that piss you off at your dev job that aren't necessarily code related?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Try the Working in Development: Unironic Agilefall thread for good times

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This is about a visual studio solution in C#.

So at my work the other developer has been working on a few projects outside the main solution. He needed a few classes from other projects, mostly for specific functionality they provide.

There are plenty of valid options for this situation:
1. Create a project or projects containing the classes he needs to reference. Reference them in all projects that need them.
2. Create new classes in the new projects and either copy the code or re-implement the functionality of the needed classes.
3. Add the existing projects to the solution containing the new projects, reference the existing projects and import the needed classes.

1 or 2 would be my preference. 3 would still work in a pinch, except that the old project that contains most of the classes he needs will later need to reference these new projects.

We added his new projects to the main solution! What did he apparently do?

Two different solutions for the same problem!
1. Build the existing project. Copy the DLL from that project into the new project into a folder, reference it in the new projects.
and
2. Copy the existing classes, including their namespaces, into all the new projects. Add "Using {oldnamespace};" to every code file.
Bonus 3 as an addendum to 1 and 2, some projects simply reference other projects that do this and use the classes that way!

Now, the main project references the old projects which either A) reference the main project via a DLL or B) have a bunch of classes in the old project's namespace and are named the same as the classes in the old project.

I assume these started as a placeholder and fix it later type thing on his part, but now that the main solution includes these new projects, there are thousands of errors and warnings when you go to build. I don't even want to start fixing this mess.
:negative:

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

M31 posted:

code:
            }
        }
    }
};
code:
svg							+= '<svg';
}
svg							+= '>';
svg							+= '</svg>';

WTF..... that looks as terrible as RPG...

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

carry on then posted:

Is it just me, or is "well, someone likes it" now the universal response to criticism online?

Well, the issue was originally presented primarily as one of aesthetics, and the response was "I am not dismissing you outright, but until it's more than just you versus our entire dev team I'm not going to change anything," which is prima facie reasonable.

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.
NPM progress bar slows down install by 2-3x. I can understand that progress bars are hard, but surely not this hard.

https://twitter.com/gavinjoyce/status/691773956144119808

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Humphrey Appleby posted:

NPM progress bar slows down install by 2-3x. I can understand that progress bars are hard, but surely not this hard.

https://twitter.com/gavinjoyce/status/691773956144119808

What's it doing, updating the progress bar for every byte downloaded?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Not quite that bad, but the problem is apparently just that it's potentially updating the UI hundreds of times per second and because it's single-threaded that blocks doing actual work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And if you don't empty the receive buffers fast enough, TCP will shrink the window and throttle you, so network perf sucks.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Knock on effects? In my distributed system?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You'd think npm would run the UI in a separate thread :v:

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Sometimes people trust the auto-merge tool in TFS blindly, and the auto-merge in TFS is really, really stupid - it's otherwise hard to gently caress up though.

It's almost always user error in one form or another. I find that the TFS auto merge has been fine, in fact it's sometimes way too conservative and I have to resolve non conflicts.

I've used it since the start and it definitely has never had a problem overwriting other peoples changes. That is 100% someone loving up a merge whenever it does happen.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
C# code:
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for PCAUtilities
/// </summary>
public class PCAUtilities
{
    #region Properties

public double CrashReportsTimeSpan { get; set; }

#endregion Properties

public PCAUtilities()
    {
        //
        // TODO: Add constructor logic here
        //
    }

protected string mdy(string s)
    {
        if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(s))
            return "99/99/9999";
        string y = (string)s.Substring(0, 4);
        string m = (string)s.Substring(4, 2);
        string d = (string)s.Substring(6, 2);
        return m + "/" + d + "/" + y;
    }

}
In its defense, mdy is protected and PCAUtilities is never inherited.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Bognar posted:

C# code:
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for PCAUtilities
/// </summary>
public class PCAUtilities
{
    #region Properties

public double CrashReportsTimeSpan { get; set; }

#endregion Properties

public PCAUtilities()
    {
        //
        // TODO: Add constructor logic here
        //
    }

protected string mdy(string s)
    {
        if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(s))
            return "99/99/9999";
        string y = (string)s.Substring(0, 4);
        string m = (string)s.Substring(4, 2);
        string d = (string)s.Substring(6, 2);
        return m + "/" + d + "/" + y;
    }

}
In its defense, mdy is protected and PCAUtilities is never inherited.

Not sure why, but I especially like casting the strings to strings.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well you can never be too careful

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

What if MS changes string to be something else in the future???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What we were told was that the latter is formally the case, but that some auditors are more likely than others to decide to nitpick and make things harder on you if they spot indications of "lax culture". For the same reason we had to stop using issue titles like "Architecture of <thing> is incredibly stupid", and QA was banned from using cat memes in QA notes.

Hah. I thought I was the only one who always attcahes cattes to trouble ticket upload fields.