Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
For some reason the sky doesn't darken when the dragon is summoned until after Goku finds them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like that Baby went great ape but couldn't control it and went berserk! Until it is revealed that he is in control and is destroying poo poo just because. Despite his entire motivation was the rebuilding his home planet which he was now destroying.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Raxivace posted:

The idea behind the Shadow Dragons is really cool though, and actually gives Dragon Ball a very appropriate thematic ending.

From what I hear the execution is just as bad as the rest of GT though.

GT is where interesting ideas go to get tortured and beaten to death

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like that Baby went great ape but couldn't control it and went berserk! Until it is revealed that he is in control and is destroying poo poo just because. Despite his entire motivation was the rebuilding his home planet which he was now destroying.

I like that Baby is T1000 Cell, except with nothing that made cell interesting or cool

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
His loving name is Baby.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I like how the villains were ripoffs of older villains. You can't tell me that 1-Star Shenron isn't a super bone Dabura.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But which villian is super 17????????

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gt is good

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

But which villian is super 17????????

Cell. Super 17 even had the power of making Goku do dumbass things.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
  • Chi-Chi seems angrier at Goku for getting turned into a kid than for abandoning her.
  • The space trip set-up has potential.
  • The ED also has somewhat romantic lyrics.

And that's GT episode 1. Not especially good, but not especially bad, either. There's nothing that stands out as especially cool yet, and the existence of the Black Star Dragon Balls still doesn't really make sense, but no huge missteps so far.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 31, 2016

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Pan's not even attempting to hide she's superhuman just dodging bullets and breaking stone pillars also holy poo poo is she short

edit: Also how has Goku not seen Pan? She can fly and was super sad when he left? Like did they watch the ending at all?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 31, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

• Chi-Chi seems angrier at Goku for getting turned into a kid than for abandoning her.
  • The space trip set-up has potential.
  • The ED also has somewhat romantic lyrics.

And that's GT episode 1. Not especially good, but not especially bad, either. There's nothing that stands out as especially cool yet, and the existence of the Black Star Dragon Balls still doesn't really make sense, but no huge missteps so far.

Preemptively requesting that you don't liveblog the entire series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Black Star Dragon Balls do make sense...sort of. They were created by the Nameless Namekian, thus they are bound to him as that's how Dragon Balls work. Once Kami and Demon King Piccolo separated, the BS (fitting!) Dragon Balls stopped working, but they work once again since their creator is back alive, as Piccolo merged with Kami and recreated the Nameless Namekian.

This is confirmed later on, as Piccolo sacrifices himself so the BSDBs will stop working forever.

And that's all I will defend of GT. That and SS4, I still like it in concept and design.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Pan's not even attempting to hide she's superhuman just dodging bullets and breaking stone pillars also holy poo poo is she short

There's no real reason for them to hide that they're superhuman anyway. Sure, it lost her the date, but that's his problem, not hers.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Silver2195 posted:

There's no real reason for them to hide that they're superhuman anyway. Sure, it lost her the date, but that's his problem, not hers.

That's how Goten got all the chicks. Which is the only believable part of GT.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

I don't intend to, don't worry.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Black Star Dragon Balls do make sense...sort of. They were created by the Nameless Namekian, thus they are bound to him as that's how Dragon Balls work. Once Kami and Demon King Piccolo separated, the BS (fitting!) Dragon Balls stopped working, but they work once again since their creator is back alive, as Piccolo merged with Kami and recreated the Nameless Namekian.

This is confirmed later on, as Piccolo sacrifices himself so the BSDBs will stop working forever.

And that's all I will defend of GT. That and SS4, I still like it in concept and design.

Didn't Kami act like Earth no longer had Dragon Balls until Dende became the new God of Earth, though? Or am I misremembering?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I like it as a precursor to the fake SS5. But it's weird that Goku can make pants out of Powel Level.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SirKibbles posted:

How far did you get?

I watched the first couple and then skipped around a bit because because I saw some interesting episode descriptions and was curious to see how the show handled certain things (Undead Freeza and Cell fighting Goku? Sure, why not.). I think I've seem about 6 episodes in all. I'll probably watch another few episodes out of morbid curiosity and then bury this thing forever.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm feeling masochistic today, so I'm watching the first episode of GT myself.

• The OP's romantic lyrics are very unfitting for a show about Goku's adventures with his own granddaughter.
  • There's a separate set of Dragon Balls in Kami's place that were never mentioned before? Or is that just where the regular Earth Dragon Balls happen to be at the moment?
  • Mr. Popo Japanese VA is terrible.
  • So they are a separate, superior set, created by Kami when Piccolo Sr. was still part of him...but doesn't that mean Dende would have had to re-make them for them to still exist? So wouldn't they be tied to Dende's power, and only be as strong as the regular Dragon Balls? Unless they stuck around due to Piccolo Jr. and Kami being fused, but it's weird that Kami kept talking as though the normal ones were the only set Earth had.
  • Pilaf and Mai don't look very good old.
  • Does Uub thanking Goku for "staying with" him for years mean that Goku left his family to live with Uub for years while training him? More Goku being a bad dad, heh.
  • I do like that Mai fully expects Pilaf's plan to be interrupted by something.

I actually liked the OP song and consider it one of the show's good points. I agree it's an awkward fit for the show though.

Some of my own observations from the first episode:
-The Pilaf bit seems to only exist to make Goku a kid and get the plot moving. Once that's done the whole thing is promptly dropped and forgotten. Which is too bad because the Pilaf fight would have been a good way to see how Goku's powers were affected by the wish.
-Goku being turned into a kid is obviously stupid and pointless but it's particularly bad here because he can still bench press a galaxy. The main benefit of this sort of twist would be to depower him, thus letting other characters steal the spotlight for once.
-The character design and animation in this show is atrocious (and only get's worse going forward). This episode was passable though largely due to the lack of alien character designs.
-The backgrounds are pretty nifty though. The alien locales in the opening remind me of something out of the 80s.
-Pan's superhero scene with Goku is actually pretty fun and is a decent introduction to her character.
-Overall this isn't a terrible pilot. If I hadn't watched a bunch of episodes from later on I'd actually be pretty excited to see where they go with all of this.

While I'm at it here are my episode 2 observations:
-Goku in stranger-danger is hilarious.
-The kidnappers using Goku to extort money out of Vegeta is even more hilarious.
-Vegita has a mustache. I can't tell if this decision is horrible or brilliant.
-Kidnappers looking for a payphone made me feel old as poo poo
-Nerd Trunks is boring. How do you have Vegeta as a dad and not be at least a little interesting?
-I have no idea why they thought breaking up the Goten/Trunks power couple was a good decision.
-I really like the song and art of the ending credits. That said, what the gently caress is going on with Trunks' leg here?:

Namtab posted:

No, let's all liveblog this thing and be miserable together.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku being turned into a kid does depower him...sort of. It's really, really inconsistent and completely loving dumb and arbitrary, but it affects some of his abilities. And by some, I mean one: he loses the Instant Transmission since it isn't something he could use as a kid. But he keeps the Super Saiyan transformation, flight, absolute mastery over the Kamehameha, the Spirit Bomb, the Dragon Fist...literally everything.

It also makes Super Saiyan 3 hard to keep up because his small body can't hold the energy. This affects about nothing since by the time he has to use SS3, he fails once then he gets SS4 which has no disadvantages whatsoever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rudoku posted:

That's how Goten got all the chicks. Which is the only believable part of GT.

Vegeta shaving his moostache was pretty believable.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wish the saiyan "hair's the same way since birth" thing applied to facial hair so Vegeta was born with a mustache

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

readingatwork posted:

I actually liked the OP song and consider it one of the show's good points. I agree it's an awkward fit for the show though.

Raxivace posted:

The idea behind the Shadow Dragons is really cool though, and actually gives Dragon Ball a very appropriate thematic ending.

visceril posted:

General Dildo, Babby and his stupid designs, Trunks being way lamer and shitter than Z future Trunks, and Vegeta's moo-stache

Those basically sum up my opinion on GT.

Also, Super 17 wasn't as bad as the rest of GT. Kinda like being punched in the stomach instead of being kneed in the balls.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Silver95280 posted:

Those basically sum up my opinion on GT.

Also, Super 17 wasn't as bad as the rest of GT. Kinda like being punched in the stomach instead of being kneed in the balls.

Man what, Super 17 was the worst part of GT. Even in so bad it's good terms it manages to just wrap right around back to awful fanfic that even most movies couldn't sink to. I'd almost say it's worse than Bio-Broly.

As far as what Toriyama intended, Uub was supposed to be living with Goku, not taken up to the Lookout and nobody ever going over to see them.

Goten decided the best way to get people to stop mistaking him for Goku is to have a mop for hair, Pan is taking after her dad with the bowl cut, and hey, Uub in the orange and blue (and he has like no muscle mass at all).

Also the cat man, Neko Majin Z, is there because there is a mouse that's been stealing from the Son family pantry, and Goku wants him to catch it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Super 17 takes goddamn forever for a fight where like two things happened. It was possibly the low point of that show.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Poor King Kai is never gonna get revived

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Wonder if that technically means he gets to be North Kai forever.....can't decide whether that a gift or a curse honestly. Also GT is way more boring than I remember nothing happens for long stretches of time and the humor is like 50/50 on a good episode.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

StrifeHira posted:

As far as what Toriyama intended, Uub was supposed to be living with Goku, not taken up to the Lookout and nobody ever going over to see them.

Goten decided the best way to get people to stop mistaking him for Goku is to have a mop for hair, Pan is taking after her dad with the bowl cut, and hey, Uub in the orange and blue (and he has like no muscle mass at all).

Never seen Spear Goku before, who is he?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Leroy Dennui posted:

Never seen Spear Goku before, who is he?

Neko Majin's friend. They scam tourists by dressing Neko up as a koala and taking pictures.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

Discussion on BlueRay Changes

Did they do this for all the fights or just Episode 5? Like, did they bump up all the animation or just that fight?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rudoku posted:

Neko Majin's friend. They scam tourists by dressing Neko up as a koala and taking pictures.

I need to read this manga now just for this detail

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Episode 29 of Super was excellent. Really glad to be headed into the new material.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm excited for the Space Adventures of Jaco and Bulma.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That was loving fantastic. Also, Tights!

I'm so happy we've moved on from the movies. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

zelah posted:

I'm excited for the Space Adventures of Jaco and Bulma.

They're going to visit not-namek again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

No, let's all liveblog this thing and be miserable together.

Yes, ignore namtab, post about GT. Because we can't ever forget.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Our favorite troupe of Goku-Joke-Makers, TeamFourStar, finally finished Hellsing Ultimate Abridged 6

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I watched episode 28 of Super the other day and it was really entertaining and funny. Glad that we're finally free from that quagmire of movie recaps.

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.
Woo Dragon Ball is back baby! Can't wait for the upcoming adventure. This coming arc feels like it will be a good hybrid of DB and DBZ.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Archenteron posted:

Our favorite troupe of Goku-Joke-Makers, TeamFourStar, finally finished Hellsing Ultimate Abridged 6

OH who am I offending? THE loving NAZIS?!

Good ep.

edit: yeah I'm like that took a bit long to get to the KKK joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was a good until the last five minutes where the same joke just kinda dragged on and on.

"OKAY, YOU NEED TO CHILL OUT!"

Was a pretty good end tho

• Locked thread