Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJUBI1K1hTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Would Unreal Tournament 2004's Onslaught mode be considered an early MOBA?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baal posted:

XV's poised to be the game that basically makes or breaks Square's credibility forever with KH3 lined up to be the very same unless XV does fabulously

So you could say it's their Final Fantasy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It looks cool as poo poo too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Dragon Dogma worth playing on PC without a controller?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

Relevant video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDqraUlUcM

Also a pic of the whole twitter meltdown (linked for size) http://puu.sh/3NdPm.png

TIL Fish had his meltdown because of a gaming site. :psyduck:

Lady Naga posted:

Ummm I gues's we're all forgetting NO MAN'S SKY!!!

Like its devs!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baal posted:

XV's poised to be the game that basically makes or breaks Square's credibility forever with KH3 lined up to be the very same unless XV does fabulously

I vote breaks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is ok without a controller but some people currently have a bug where their secondary weapon set and left click fails to work. You can rebind them though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

It doesn't have creeps, so, no?

or like, character classes or anything...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Considering Dota Allstars came out in 2003, I'd actually say that's an early MOBA.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Meanwhile in the Games thread......Several posters are thinking....

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Baal posted:

I'd say that applies more to the FF7 Remake, but this title was a long time coming as well. They basically have two dormant atom bombs in utero right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything I've heard about FF7 Remake's 'updates' makes me think it will be poorly received by many.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That FFXV summon looks cool, but I'm less excited about being part of what appears to be a Japanese boyband.

I know Square-Enix loves its androgynous pretty boys but an entire party of them is a bit much even for them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ekster posted:

That FFXV summon looks cool, but I'm less excited about being part of what appears to be a Japanese boyband.

Uh that's literally the best part though? Unless you dislike camp I guess.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Everything I've heard about FF7 Remake's 'updates' makes me think it will be poorly received by many.

the first episode will make a fortune even if it sucks poo poo, though; it kind of makes me curious about the episodic format, because while it allows them to discontinue it if it proves to be a waste of money, it also means the quality of the first parts will inform the sales of the latter parts whereas if they just released an ff7 remake as one monolithic $60 game they'd recoup the cost of development with day 1 sales no matter what they spent

I guess given how the mainline ff games have been since 12 it probably would've taken forty years to develop

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the first episode will make a fortune even if it sucks poo poo, though; it kind of makes me curious about the episodic format, because while it allows them to discontinue it if it proves to be a waste of money, it also means the quality of the first parts will inform the sales of the latter parts whereas if they just released an ff7 remake as one monolithic $60 game they'd recoup the cost of development with day 1 sales no matter what they spent

I guess given how the mainline ff games have been since 12 it probably would've taken forty years to develop

Yeah it's probably a thing where they want to put SOMETHING out to a public that's increasingly uninterested in Square Enix.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Well, looking at it from a different perspective, episodic means that in the intervals in between they have the opportunity to say 'we listened to your feedback and changed some things' as opposed to losing a big chunk due to steam refunds if it turns out to be a stinker.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Played a few hours of The Witness. Jonathan Blow has no idea how to marry story and gameplay.

"Solve this interesting sliding puzzle. Now let me tell you about the religiosity of science."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Jay Rust posted:

Played a few hours of The Witness. Jonathan Blow has no idea how to marry story and gameplay.

"Solve this interesting sliding puzzle. Now let me tell you about the religiosity of science."

I think the science video was an excerpt from a 70's BBC show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

Uh that's literally the best part though? Unless you dislike camp I guess.

I like camp but I also like RPG's with a variety of interesting playable characters. Also I like fun games and after playing the demo for 10+ hours, I can say the battle system was a considerably less compelling than DA:I's, which was just serviceable. I realize it didn't have a magic system implemented yet but even what we had was pretty boring from the get-go.

FF15 will sell well with the name and usual marketing hype but I think it's poised to be the FF with the least staying power yet. Too much good competition in both the west and east and too much baggage with the title's development hell.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 31, 2016

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Nintendo censorship at it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDoCw0S5r7M

Is being removed from the English version of Fire Emblem: Fates
No more rubbing/patting the heads of your battle buddies or even wife/husband.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/01/...ideos%E3%80%91/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FillInTheBlank posted:

Nintendo censorship at it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDoCw0S5r7M

Is being removed from the English version of Fire Emblem: Fates
No more rubbing/patting the heads of your battle buddies or even wife/husband.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/01/...ideos%E3%80%91/

Good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

facts are useless please nip this conversation in the bud thank you

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm entirely offended by that! I'm going to go back to playing games like I did as a kid!

*plays every game he grew up with and their edited/localized content I never knew was edited*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I used to be annoyed at american localized censorship but nowadays it's always a great decision.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FFXV and VIIR will sell well and fans will declare them both to be the worst games in the franchise, same as usual.

e:

Lurdiak posted:

What's there to hear beyond it having actiony combat, which was expected, and the release structure? I was surprised by the latter, but it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to complain about a JRPG splitting its story over mutiple titles.

Motto fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 31, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"well"

Motto posted:

What's there to hear beyond it having actiony combat, which was expected, and the release structure? I was surprised by the latter, but it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to complain about a JRPG splitting its story over mutiple titles.

Fans of FF7 will probably not be happy that the gameplay is nothing like FF7. The episodic nature suggests no world map and increased linearity.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Have they said exactly how they're splitting it into episodes though?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Have they said exactly how they're splitting it into episodes though?

I got the impression that it's going to be multiple full-fledged releases.
e:

Why are you comparing a mainline title to a farmed out sequel that reused a bunch of assets? X-2 undersold its predecessor as well. That's just how SE treats those games in development and marketing--like side titles or spinoffs. They exist to squeeze more cash out of preexisting assets. In terms of more recent games, ARR has apparently been doing very well.

Motto fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 31, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tbPQT3qEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SP_B2Erajo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 31, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

I got the impression that it's going to be multiple full-fledged releases.
e:

Why are you comparing a mainline title to a farmed out sequel that reused a bunch of assets? X-2 undersold its predecessor as well. That's just how SE treats those games in development and marketing--like side titles or spinoffs. They exist to squeeze more cash out of preexisting assets. In terms of more recent games, ARR has apparently been doing very well.

yeah lol that this whole conversation about FF is ignoring 14 for some reason

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

That sorta sounds like when dads try to argue that "Back in Black" is the first rap song.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV is real good for an MMO

It gave us this:
:gitgud:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jay Rust posted:

FFXIV is real good for an MMO

It gave us this:
:gitgud:

in FFXIV by level 10 your character can be in a speedo as combat gear, by far the best MMO.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first 30 minutes of FFXIV (from when you actually get control of the character) are so intensely boring that I'm amazed that anyone has gotten any further than that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's an MMO, 30 minutes of tedium is nothing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The first 30 minutes of FFXIV (from when you actually get control of the character) are so intensely boring that I'm amazed that anyone has gotten any further than that.

yes its an rpg

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Why not all MMO players have moved on to maximum skinner box cookie clicker games by now is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its bizarre imo that the mmo final fantasy has a better storyline and main quest than any final fantasy since 6

• Locked thread