Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the reason teenagers hate a lot of literature is because they don't try to read anything into it and force meanings the way adults do. They just see it as it is, and therefore stuff might suck because on the surface it really is poo poo sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sophocles: the Theban plays

We had to read it aloud. I never understood readaloud assignments as the dumb kids made it horrible for all involved. It was a blur but the only thing I remember is some dude cutting out his eyes with scissors because he banged his mom by accident, in some weird convoluted way. Apparently it was honorable to punish yourself greatly if you did something by complete accident.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Haier posted:

I think the reason teenagers hate a lot of literature is because they don't try to read anything into it and force meanings the way adults do. They just see it as it is, and therefore stuff might suck because on the surface it really is poo poo sometimes.
you do realize that the schools force teenagers to find meanings in the literature they read

right

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Avocados posted:

We had to read it aloud. I never understood readaloud assignments as the dumb kids made it horrible for all involved. It was a blur but the only thing I remember is some dude cutting out his eyes with scissors because he banged his mom by accident, in some weird convoluted way. Apparently it was honorable to punish yourself greatly if you did something by complete accident.

Are you seriously not familiar with the story of Oedipus Rex?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

If it's not genre fiction, goons haven't heard of it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Avocados posted:

omg kill yourself you moron

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

symbolic posted:

you do realize that the schools force teenagers to find meanings in the literature they read

right

I think the forced analysis part is what makes kids hate the books they read in high school. At least for me it was a personal hell of dumb teachers focusing on eccentric and outright wrong interpretations, like a cineD thread but inescapable and where you are powerless to call people out on their poo poo.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Magellanicice9 posted:

Great Expectations

I'm still angry about having to read this in 8th grade.

Other sources of anger:

Ethan Frome - a miserable man goes for a miserable sled ride and is trapped with his miserable wife and miserable lover forever

The Glass Menagerie - I don't remember what this was about but it was bad

In college - German - "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" - oh my god gently caress Goethe...a man uses ten million words to talk about the beauty of nature, falls in love with an engaged woman who never returns his love and he dies after falling sick in her and her husband's house.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

caleramaen posted:

Cry the Beloved Country was written by a white guy. It was also good. So you are double wrong.

Good job sperg-dodging that joke champ.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

I think also adults have a tendency to force kids to read books that are important or that speak to them personally as a 50 year old english teacher, without considering context and realizing that a book tends to appeal to kids more when there's an emotion or experience they can latch onto and relate to their own life

like in my post I talked about ethan frome and the old man and the sea which are about what it's like to be old and have regrets and poo poo, no kid is going to really "get" that sort of thing other than as a meaningless abstraction

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

mind the walrus posted:

Brave New World touches on futuristic themes with frightening prescience but does it through the lens of early 20th century pulp. Brilliant ideas, stupid names and embarrassing plot details.
it's ironic bolshevik fanfic

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My English class spent an entire term reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, a novel about black sharecroppers having a poo poo time in the deep south in the 1930's and clearly of critical relevance to a bunch of British kids in the 1990's.

Fortunately I decided against doing English at A-level, as it had been decided that, out of 1000 years of English literature, students should spend 2 years studying The loving Handmaid's loving Tale. Jesus bastard wept.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Big City Drinkin posted:

I vaguely remember this. Was it set in Laos or Cambodia or somewhere around there? I can't find anything about it on Google.

I honestly can't remember, but I think it was called "The Story of Zahra" or something.

edit: Yeah, it was. gently caress, grade 11 English was probably the worst class I ever took.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 31, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Haier posted:

It's also because a lot of the 'classic' literature forced on teenagers is filled with themes, people and settings they can't relate to and then they are forced to overanalyze it to death which sucks out any possible remaining enlightenment or enjoyment they might have gotten out of it. Oh, and they don't actually care about your personal analysis or whether or not you got something out of reading it, they want you to see the same themes and symbolism as the teacher or some literary academics who wear tweed blazers.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 31, 2016

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

lord of the flies

more like bored of the flies

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

goons hate lord of the flies because they can't relate to being outside or interacting with other people irl, and can only identify with piggie

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In sophomore Honors English instead of reading the classics like the regular classes, we read a bunch of female-themed novels because the teacher was obsessed with living vicariously through her lesbian daughter. One book was called "In the Time of the Butterflies" and was a coming of age story of some African girl in a village, and butterflies was a metaphor for her period. We also had to analyze a poo poo ton of poetry and I never understood poetry whatsoever no matter how hard I studies do that sucked rear end. gently caress poetry.

Also Huck Finn was boring as poo poo, all I remember is them constantly floating down a river.

Shakespeare sucked too but the best part would be when we watched the film adaptation on those rolling CRT TV carts and the teachers would be super nervous when they had to fast forward the sex scenes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Haier posted:

Also because a lot of classics get forced down their throats that the majority just plain aren't ready for. The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, Slaughterhouse 5, Brave New World, and so on are decent novels in a vacuum but they don't really resonate until you've had a certain degree of life experience which most kids haven't had. Then when you combine putting them on a linear "read x by y time" schedule and start penalizing them for not noticing symbolism on the first pass and it's no loving wonder they hate its guts.

I said this in the Unpopular Opinion Thread but really English departments should spend the first major book cycle of every term reading some really populist poo poo like The Hunger Games or Harry Potter that all but the slowest motherfuckers can keep up with and use that to point out all the technical crap English teachers want them to study, and then move into literature preferably alternating with something basic and quick as a cleanser. No English department anywhere is going to take that chance and that's if they can wrap their heads around teaching their subject like the world hasn't changed dramatically in the last 30 years and chewing on 19th Century Lit isn't appealing to 95% of people with a modern schedule.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

mind the walrus posted:

Also because a lot of classics get forced down their throats that the majority just plain aren't ready for. The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, Slaughterhouse 5, Brave New World, and so on are decent novels in a vacuum but they don't really resonate until you've had a certain degree of life experience which most kids haven't had. Then when you combine putting them on a linear "read x by y time" schedule and start penalizing them for not noticing symbolism on the first pass and it's no loving wonder they hate its guts.

I said this in the Unpopular Opinion Thread but really English departments should spend the first major book cycle of every term reading some really populist poo poo like The Hunger Games or Harry Potter that all but the slowest motherfuckers can keep up with and use that to point out all the technical crap English teachers want them to study, and then move into literature preferably alternating with something basic and quick as a cleanser. No English department anywhere is going to take that chance and that's if they can wrap their heads around teaching their subject like the world hasn't changed dramatically in the last 30 years and chewing on 19th Century Lit isn't appealing to 95% of people with a modern schedule.

arent classic books cheaper to buy for the most part too though?

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
Stoner Spring, I mean the first chapter is a girl coming of age and smearing period blood all over herself as initiation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was stuck reading 12th night, one of the most overwrought piece of poo poo that Bill ever shat out for a quick payment. That and Lord of the flies, though that was slightly redeemed for the old british tv film we saw of it that had piggy getting hit by a gigantic Styrofoam boulder that literally bounced right of his head.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

arent classic books cheaper to buy for the most part too though?
yeah, because they're always in the bargain bin for a reason

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

Blue Train posted:

omg kill yourself you moron
dunno what to say about 15 year old me not digging ancient greek theatre
:shrug:

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
Grapes of Wrath, fortunately my teacher was dumb as hell and so I was able to quit reading it about a quarter of the way through.

"This chapter has three things in it, what do they represent?"
"The trilogy?"
"You're a genius!!!"

"This other chapter has three things in it, what do they represent?"
"The trilogy"
"You get five gold stars!!!"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
lord of the flies is good and "character identification" is a bunk-rear end lie

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
My exposure to literature peaked when I scanned the word jumble on the back of the Frosted Flakes. I have to slow down to read road signs aloud. The only books I own contain cutaway diagrams of Star Wars space ships.

Here's why Shakespeare is gay:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

loinburger posted:

Grapes of Wrath, fortunately my teacher was dumb as hell and so I was able to quit reading it about a quarter of the way through.

"This chapter has three things in it, what do they represent?"
"The trilogy?"
"You're a genius!!!"

"This other chapter has three things in it, what do they represent?"
"The trilogy"
"You get five gold stars!!!"

I assume you mean trinity.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

walgreenslatino posted:

My exposure to literature peaked when I scanned the word jumble on the back of the Frosted Flakes. I have to slow down to read road signs aloud. The only books I own contain cutaway diagrams of Star Wars space ships.

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones

mr sad posted:

I assume you mean trinity.

Yeah, it's been awhile

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ITT stem_graduates.txt

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I said this in the Unpopular Opinion Thread but really English departments should spend the first major book cycle of every term reading some really populist poo poo like The Hunger Games or Harry Potter that all but the slowest motherfuckers can keep up with and use that to point out all the technical crap English teachers want them to study

theoretically school is supposed to challenge you and not present you with mindless nonsense, especially not poo poo you can easily just watch a movie of and never read

hth

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Happy Bear Suit posted:

lord of the flies

more like bored of the flies

lord of the flies is good for high school if only because it's very short and all the themes/symbolism poo poo is super obvious

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

ITT stem_graduates.txt

That said, Fenimore Cooper and Scarlet Letter can share a Grayhound ticket straight to Hell.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

ITT stem_graduates.txt
Professional writing major. i can't stand most of the stuff i'm forced to read because, as said, the education establishment forces students to find messages and character development as opposed to reading for the purpose of enjoyment.

that said, i really really like reading and analyzing poetry. i suppose that's because it's much more succinct most of the time.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

walgreenslatino posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

symbolic posted:

Professional writing major. i can't stand most of the stuff i'm forced to read because, as said, the education establishment forces students to find messages and character development as opposed to reading for the purpose of enjoyment.

no no, that's definitely true, I've had that happen too

and as a historian I can say that history is taught just as badly, and in some ways its even worse because the textbooks have to try and cover all 500+ years of US history in a couple hundred pages and make it comprehensible to kids and that's basically impossible

I feel bad for textbook writers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In college we read "Enduring Love" by Ian McEwan which was a really loving insane story about a married couple on a picnic that saw a man fall out of a hot air balloon and die after hitting the field below. A bystander, a 30-ish year old man, also saw it and fell in love with the husband because in his insane mind he thought witnessing this traumatic event together meant they were destined to be soulmates or some crazy bonkers poo poo and he started stalking the husband and causing tension in the marriage.

Sounds sort of interesting because of the crazy stalker gay man shenanigans, but in reality it was such an awful and boring book. We then watched the movie which was a hundred times worse in every conceivable way.

We also did Waiting for Godot which was actually kind of entertaining for a play in which literally nothing happens.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 31, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

no no, that's definitely true, I've had that happen too

and as a historian I can say that history is taught just as badly
minoring in history, can confirm. they also often cross over, too. i have to read Nectar in a Sieve for my Asian history class tomorrow. it's an okay book, but we're being tested on it so i have to remember all of these foreign names and character development and ugggghhhhh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

We also did Waiting for Godot which was actually kind of entertaining for a play in which literally nothing happens.
that's because Samuel Beckett is a pretty humorous writer. i read Endgame in 11th grade and enjoyed it despite not knowing what the hell happened in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Nathaniel Hawthorne was the worst. Overwrought Christian symbolism and boring rear end Protestants.

• Locked thread