Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

fyallm posted:

The insert is coming next, still figuring out which one we like the most before dropping a few grand.

I saw this thing on Kevin Kelly Cool Tools years ago, may help, may be bunk. But its not $thousands.

quote:

Put the laws of physics to work in your fireplace, and discover how easy it is to start and maintain a fire that produces much more heat compared to conventional fireplace grates. How does it work? This unique grate has two adjustable arms that open up the hottest part of the fire to the room. In our Instructions, we even show you how to build a fire and arrange logs of different sizes to produce the most heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAE7ppeY1vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EX250 Type R posted:

I contemplated getting a pellet stove insert for my fireplace but I hate dealing with firewood and I would hate dealing with bags of pellets, baseboard hot water is so much easier and more pleasant, of course this depends on your local weather

source: living in maine since i was 10

From what I understand baseboard heating is really inefficient and alot more expensive. I actually have some baseboard heaters, but never use them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you have an open fireplace you are literally destroying the planet. Just get a loving masonry heater.

e: The link I had on my clipboard was not what I thought it was. New try:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

fyallm posted:

From what I understand baseboard heating is really inefficient and alot more expensive. I actually have some baseboard heaters, but never use them.

at $1.60 a gallon for #2 (burning 4-600 gallons a winter) and my time being worth money, cutting, splitting, stacking etc 5+ cords of firewood (at200-250 a cord) is not cheaper or more efficient

but like i said, local variables make all the difference

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My current place is heated entirely with a wood-stove, supplemented with a few space-heaters. I both love it and hate it, but would never live without one again. The worst part is buying the wood. In three years I have used like six wood guys and they all have shorted me at some point, it's like trying to buy drugs in a stadium parking lot.

But still, wood-stove hotdogs make it all worthwhile.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The chimney guy cleaned out about 15gallons of soot, said it was the dirtiest fireplace he has seen in years, woo hoo.

Yeah the wood around here in the middle of the country is stupid cheap, plus the 6 acres we have of trees is going to help as well.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
see also: fireplace/wood-stove smores

edit: please do not go cut down your trees to feed your fireplace, that is a horrible idea

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EX250 Type R posted:

edit: please do not go cut down your trees to feed your fireplace, that is a horrible idea

I am actually going to just burn down my house.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EX250 Type R posted:

This is stupid, how do you think people survived the winter 50+ years ago?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

This is stupid, how do you think people survived the winter 50+ years ago?

heres a hint: 6 acres of trees is not a lot and it takes a tree about 30-40+ years of growing to be ready for consumption. Talk to a forestry official and make a tree growth/harvesting plan, preferable with a local harvesting company that knows the laws and how to maintain your trees.

nerox
May 20, 2001
For my in-laws farmhouse, we just go find trees that have fallen on their own, cut them up into sections with a chainsaw, drag them out of the woods to a pile, then rent a log splitter when the pile is big enough. We've never run low with this method.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

nerox posted:

For my in-laws farmhouse, we just go find trees that have fallen on their own, cut them up into sections with a chainsaw, drag them out of the woods to a pile, then rent a log splitter when the pile is big enough. We've never run low with this method.

It seemed this was the way to go. But somehow he thought I was going to just go cut down the world. Oh well.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry I mistook your comment about having 6 acres to mean you would just go cut greenwood, it is a very common idea among people that don't know any better and think any tree will do.

Where I am, winter is a pretty serious thing, and wood heat is a lot of work and very dirty. If I were to heat my house from wood scraps collected off the ground, it would take 200+ trees 5" in diameter per this UNH forestry chart

http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/76320.pdf

I grew up in a drafty farmhouse where we burned 10 cord of wood every winter it definitely soured me on using wood as a primary heating source.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Despite the site crashing repeatedly (and timing out -- I lost my checkout basket more than once because I couldn't get through to pay in time) due to god knows how many people swooping on it at once, I managed to secure tickets to see Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds at the London Palladium in May. :sun:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ticket to see this in a couple weeks:

And ordered this shirt from Etsy:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And ordered this shirt from Etsy:

Wow, that's a terrible shirt.

On a completely unrelated note, I picked this up from a Goodwill for $2 the other day

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any particular reason Peach is a tranny?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

And why did I need this?

(I didn't. We are all dust in the wind.)

Edit: Also, my new shirt:

blarzgh has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 29, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
New printer, Epson XP-420 :2bong: the last printer I bought was probably around 2004, so this is a step up. Wireless printing is wild.

Coleman 28qt marine cooler, mostly gonna be used as an ottoman/stool for guitar playing, and occasionally beer/beach duty in the summer. Once it's warmed up a bit outside I'm gonna paint it pastel colors, I think. His name is Vinny Cooler.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

New printer, Epson XP-420

I know this isn't a new discovery but, $42 for the printer and $30 for new ink cartridges... is this poo poo ever going to get better? One review said that it tells you the ink is empty when it's not. Can you get a decent printer that's not a b/w laser?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RCarr posted:

Any particular reason Peach is a tranny?

Let's not use this term, please. :)

e: I haven't really bought anything interesting but I feel like I should contribute content. I got a new scrub top online today, that was pretty cool
e2: I can't find a picture of it that doesn't have a model doing a weird sexy pose so you'll all have to use your imaginations, it's navy blue and quite nice.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Jan 31, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Wow, that's a terrible shirt.

:lol:

I bought a front rack for my fatbike to carry my camera and stuff on. Now to just find the right bag to put on it.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Got a model kit of the International Space Station.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Some recent pickups.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

+ heatshrink and braided cable sleeving to run the cable attached to my headphones' cable.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
A shiny new pair of Bauer x200 skates! It's my first pair and boy it's good not having to leave the ice every two minutes to tighten up the lovely rental skates. Got some wax laces too which are pictured

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I bought one of these KNAGGLIG crates from Ikea, but turned it into a stand for my turntable with the use of some project wood I had laying around.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ack! You're going to stain it to match the piece its sitting on. Right? Right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Comatoast posted:

Ack! You're going to stain it to match the piece its sitting on. Right? Right?

Yeah, definitely.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Brake caliper tool kit to push/rotate the piston back in. So glad I got this, it was stupidly simple compared to loving around with pliers or a clamp.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

CaseFace McGee posted:

Brake caliper tool kit to push/rotate the piston back in. So glad I got this, it was stupidly simple compared to loving around with pliers or a clamp.

Why does it have 2 of the screwing things?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zahi posted:

DP

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Zahi posted:

One clockwise, one counterclockwise

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

colas posted:

I know this isn't a new discovery but, $42 for the printer and $30 for new ink cartridges... is this poo poo ever going to get better? One review said that it tells you the ink is empty when it's not. Can you get a decent printer that's not a b/w laser?

Yeah, when people begin to realize print is stupid and start using digital for everything. I pine for the day some world wide occurrence fries every fax machine in existence.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

colas posted:

Third party ink cartridges are fairly cheap. I have a six cartridge printer and it's like $10 for the set.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you Lee Mack and/or Sean Locke on 00s BBC comedy quiz shows?

:argh: I was going to ask if he was really Jason Manford.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JPrime posted:

:argh: I was going to ask if he was really Jason Manford.

Having watched a lot of QI and WILTY recently I'm beginning to think they all shared a wardrobe in those days. Except Phil Jupitus because he was too fat and David Mitchell because he's David Mitchell.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

An alternative to buying brand new name brand ink, is to buy from a third party source such as this goon ran business Great Cartridge for a good penny less.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who uses inkjet printers in this day and age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who uses inkjet printers in this day and age?

Laser printers print lovely photos, and cost 5x as much.