Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Sard posted:

:rip: map selection mindgames

NO! Ok, to be fair it's loving irritating as hell to watch puppies flipflop thier votes in the last second of voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Random Number posted:

Captain James T Kerensky is free now as well. He is now HELIOS snyper kerensky sephirothgoku.

He Is Risen

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
How do colors work? Do they unlock per mech or for all mechs? There's a paragraph saying Patterns are specific to the chassis, so I assume colors work for all mechs?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

That Gobbo posted:

How do colors work? Do they unlock per mech or for all mechs? There's a paragraph saying Patterns are specific to the chassis, so I assume colors work for all mechs?

Colors are unlocked permanently for all mechs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hrm, maybe I should change my in game name to HELIOS A o D

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holy poo poo the Stalker 5M just clicked with me. I bought it a while ago on a whim and never really got into it but good goddamn :stare:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Leet Like HELIOS Kerensky

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
JC Helios Denton Kerensky Jr.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I swear to god if they make flamers one smidge less retarded, I'm going to do something con mas fuego. We should all build matching flame-vomit cockbots for slosh op gimmickbuild night.

Also, I like the current map voting system because you can see very clearly that the new map has already lost that new map smell and lots of people hate it but are too dumb to actively vote for the next-most-popular map so they don't ever have to play it again

Iowa caucuses son what

Name suggestion: Annual Banwave Kerensky

Tujague fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

WebDO posted:

Wow, you guys got really upset that I called the poo poo devs of this game poo poo. You sure showed me that :pgi: has the player's interest from the start. Oh, wait

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Tujague posted:

This is a weird thread for some blowhard asswipe to come in every eight pages and pedantically argue some retarded "YOU GUYS DON'T GET IT" poo poo into the ground.

Okay, I am closing in on a new mech purchase. I want a heavy with dakka. Jaeger, right? UAC/5s? Not a T-wolf?

Ebon Jaguar is way better than a Jaeger, people keep saying good things about them here because they used to be awesome, they are pretty bad since they are extremely easy to kill. In order to fit a balistics build on any Jag they have to use an XL engine and they have gigantic side torsos, alpha damage used to be a lot lower when they were really good.

A.o.D. posted:

Hrm, maybe I should change my in game name to HELIOS A o D

You should do it, they'll just end up changing your name via forced name change at some later time so it's like an extra free name change!

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 31, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah but 3xUAC/5's are fun as gently caress to use regardless :shrug:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Bolow posted:

Yeah but 3xUAC/5's are fun as gently caress to use regardless :shrug:

But triple UAC-5 clan mechs are way better and even more fun.

And if people are thinking the cost is different it's not that much more for an Ebon Jag, the Jaegermechs don't come with XL engines, double heat sinks, or endo-steel, so after you add all that they cost the same as a clan mech anyway.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 31, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Twerking Urbie Kerensky

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I specced out one of the non-prime variants of the Hunchback IIC with leftover parts just so I could skill it up and I'm pretty impressed with how good I do with it in solo queue. Of course you'll all tell me it's poo poo but man, this thing is a lot of fun, and no one pays attention to you because you're a Hunchback.

Shithouse Solo Pubstomper

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Huh, no matter which side is blown off it will still do well, kinda interesting. But I'd change the lasers around to only have med pulses, 2 CT and 2 in each LT and RT.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2016

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Picked up the Jenner IIC pack, any advice on playing a light mech/builds? Currently using 6xSRM4s and attempting to backstab but I'm not really getting a feel for when I should scoot in. Especially on the more open maps like Polar Highlands.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

That Gobbo posted:

Picked up the Jenner IIC pack, any advice on playing a light mech/builds? Currently using 6xSRM4s and attempting to backstab but I'm not really getting a feel for when I should scoot in. Especially on the more open maps like Polar Highlands.

You have to wait for the brawl to start, and sometimes on polar a brawl never starts in which case you swing way around the pack and try to pick off solo people who are not paying attention. You don't go until like 8 minutes left in the match tho. If you have radar dep you can go harass and run around like an idiot. But if you try that without it and go too early you'll just die to lrm's.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 31, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

So the Kodiak is confirmed? A lovely clan Atlas with higher AC/missile hardpoints at cockpit level, but less than an atlas? That could be cool if not for the tonnage dumps into JJ.

Kodiak doesn't mount jump jets on the main variant (the second variant does mount them). It's also significantly faster than an Atlas (64kph base, it's as fast as a stock BattleMaster).

It's also not an OmniMech which means it's fully customizable.

Great Beer posted:

Was anyone actually upset about the current map vote system? Gaming the vote multiplier system is mildly amusing and harmless.

Clearly, Paul was.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 31, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Jenners and Firestarters are also scout-killers. If you are pubdropping, it really pays to gang up with the other lights and pray they are not retards. MWO: Two guys doing the wrong thing are better than one guy doing the right thing.

I have to pubdrop a lot because my computer is bad, but I just filed my tax return gently caress yeah $$$$$

Edit: Okay, the dakka EBJ builds I found are real simple, built around the ebj-a variant. It's just three clan UAC5s, a pile of ammo and some small lasers to zap lights. It does look like more fun than the equivalent Jaegermech. Says it will cost around 13.6 million spacebucks.

From Meta Mechs: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=280&l=d3aefce77ebe9f067a7e8b9a87ba4f3a7b707080

vvvv jesus christ, could you shut the loving gently caress up

Tujague fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2016

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I do appreciate the case in point image meme.

Oh, for the days when we murdered folks in WoT :allears:

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's also not an OmniMech which means it's fully customizable.

:pgi:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Being the only sane man in an insane world is a cool feeling my dude

Anyway the Kodiak looks like it'll be a faster Clan Atlas with more overall punch but less survivability, unless they give it structure quirks in which case it could be really nasty

It will probably run hot because of limited missile slots though. You'd have to do like...C/UAC20 plus two CSRM6A plus a bunch of small pulse lasers

Also if the lasers are on top of the claws, it could be a serviceable midrange laservom robot

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 31, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So apparently there are only 9 people in WoL now

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oldbirds only

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Banano posted:

So apparently there are only 9 people in WoL now

As of about 2 minutes ago there are 301 members in WoL so I dont know what you're talking about.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sometimes when you launch the game it forgets how the friends list works and marks everyone as offline or just makes them invisible. Usually dropping or restarting fixes it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was here for the beta can I be an oldbird

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

quote:

Public queue aka "Quickplay" game modes

For March, Russ would like to have a change to Conquest game mode. Admits current ones are all just different spins on Skirmish. New/different win conditions. Conquest in test to become more about hitting the cap points not killing enemies (this needs respawn mechanics to really work, Russ)
In March, 4th brand new game mode. Domination/King of the Hill type of game mode. 800m-1000m portion of map in middle with "object of importance". Players inside this region are working toward something (countdown clock invoked, etc) and secondary objectives per team elsewhere on the map that helps accomplishing primary objective. Entering test in next few days.
Assault will also be tweaked in March, where getting shot will stop the capturing effect temporarily
By April, complete revamp of Assault game mode. A base per side but a legit base. May utilize CW objects to destroy, etc. Maybe UAV-like tower, ECM bubble, capzone inside, new art assets, turrets, o-gen type events outside the base for defenders to protect that could disable some of the base powerups, etc. Wants to see this become the defacto game-mode for QuickPlay with the other modes becoming lesser-used alternates to this. April at the earliest, possibly May.

i at least hope they replace skirmish with assault once these changes are made

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Bolow posted:

So I've been loving around with the other Warhammers and have pretty decent builds for the 6D and 6R. I honestly have no idea what to do with the 7S though. I'm thinking something along the lines of this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=384&l=a5b46beb4c44cce8c785425b93c890dc04c885e4

or possibly this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=384&l=329201c0ad197a6fb3f8bc6eca8c838aa584ece8

The first one with SRM6+A x3 is what I ran on it. The 7S was the one I had the most trouble leveling and finding a good build for.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

If I am - heaven forbid - soloing CW, what's the best way to find a match and get in a game quickly?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

teepo posted:

i at least hope they replace skirmish with assault once these changes are made

So they don't like skirmish, but are introducing a new map and game mechanics that emphasize fighting rather than capturing anything? It's not like a king of the hill match will emphasize anything other than march directly to this spot and kill red squares as fast as possible.

:pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just want to say thank you for posting this. My day has just turned to poo poo and seeing it again still got a laugh out of me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Unboxing Day posted:

If I am - heaven forbid - soloing CW, what's the best way to find a match and get in a game quickly?

Look at the percentages, everyone in solo queue plays a heavy so play anything but a heavy and you get matches pretty much instantly.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Washout posted:

Look at the percentages, everyone in solo queue plays a heavy so play anything but a heavy and you get matches pretty much instantly.

CW, not quick play.

In which case you basically just look at where there's people and go there. All you really can do.

A.o.D. posted:

I just want to say thank you for posting this. My day has just turned to poo poo and seeing it again still got a laugh out of me.

It needs to be added to the OP imo

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

In which case you basically just look at where there's people and go there. All you really can do.

That's the thing, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at and how to parse it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Unboxing Day posted:

That's the thing, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at and how to parse it.

Well Geese, what you do is you look at the list of CW planets, and next to those planets' names will be a number XX(in red)/XX (in blue) Red are attackers and blue are defenders. Bigger numbers are better (on both sides) for getting a match quickly as a solo.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Unboxing Day posted:

If a planet is red: Your faction is attacking, so you (a) want to get the attacker number at some multiple of twelve to initiate a drop and (b) want to look the number of defenders to see if an opposition group is heading there as well.

If a planet is blue: Basically the same, but your faction is defending. You (a) want to get the defender number to some multiple of twelve and (b) look at the number of attackers to see if enemies are also there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

That Gobbo posted:

i run 2 srm6, 2 srm4, 2 srm2. 6 srm4 gets ghost heat

polar skirmish sucks for non ecm lights, i find the enemy group and just keep my distance until fighting starts and they get distracted.

• Locked thread