Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

field balm posted:

Lol thanks for this and everyone who replied. Only had a couple of serum visions, but somehow glimmervoid is 50 bucks and I have a whole bucket full of lava spikes. Can't find my playset of tops but they should be around. I can't believe how much a bunch of trash is worth tbh.

Oh man, if you're up for some comedy reading, I'm sure a lot of people will gladly tell you how extensively stupid the economy surrounding this game is. The land of mtgfinance is a land of regrets filled with the fumes of burning dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah, I just scg'd the 20k black lotus, but I'm down for good stories. Did anyone succeed at the seance challenge yet?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

keeblerdrow posted:

Just did some quick googling. He made mugglenet when he was, like, 12. The New Yorker did a profile on him and called him The Virologist and The King of Clickbait. He makes clickbait websites one after another and just sees what sticks.

Gaby will be fine on coverage, as long as she studies up and doesn't get disconnected with current metas like a lot of WotC coverage people have a habit of doing.

God drat reading that profile made me want to fly to Chicago and kick that fucker in the dick. So he is one of the people responsible for the bullshit list garbage and click bait that constantly show up on my Facebook feed. And he became s millionaire basically making GBS threads up my Facebook.

gently caress that guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
seriously how loving high was sam stoddard when he was like "well we better make sure to put in typed duals so people can still play Siege Rhino" like was this dumb fucker actually concerned about the viability of Siege Rhino

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

field balm posted:

Yeah, I just scg'd the 20k black lotus, but I'm down for good stories. Did anyone succeed at the seance challenge yet?

No, but we've had at least one fraudulent tournament show up on MTG Goldfish listing it in the top 8.

Also, anyone know if the green ranger has made it to the second day?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I could almost feel my opponent's despair as I cast Thought-Knot Seer, and then proceeded to Mirrorpool it twice the next two turns. Also, people are really scared to block or attack into a Matter Reshaper even if its a profitable exchange. Although I guess it was not profitable for the dude when I blocked his Tasigur with Matter Reshaper, flipped a card, it was Wasteland Strangler, then I killed the Tasigur with the Matter Reshaper trigger.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 31, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does Chandra not feel underpriced at $10 to anyone else? She seems super good and every time I cast her this weekend she was relevant and always useful. If you're controlling enough she feels similar to Elspeth did in that she has to be dealt with pretty quickly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Does Chandra not feel underpriced at $10 to anyone else? She seems super good and every time I cast her this weekend she was relevant and always useful. If you're controlling enough she feels similar to Elspeth did in that she has to be dealt with pretty quickly.

She's got the Chandra mark. In that she is Chandra, and that Chandra = Bad Walker card.

Despite this being one of the better Chandras printed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

edit: totally forgot her ultimate :V

Alaan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 31, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

I could almost feel my opponent's despair as I cast Thought-Knot Seer, and then proceeded to Mirrorpool it twice the next two turns. Also, people are really scared to block or attack into a Matter Reshaper even if its a profitable exchange. Although I guess it was not profitable for the dude when I blocked his Tasigur with Matter Reshaper, flipped a card, it was Wasteland Strangler, then I killed the Tasigur with the Matter Reshaper trigger.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or another on these sorts of gamestates, but I just want to say that every time I read the name "Wasteland Strangler" I momentarily think I'm reading about a criminal in some sort of fallout or mad max setting, rather than the spawn of incomprehensible beings from beyond space and time.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
She's mostly been seeing play in very removal-heavy decks like Jeskai Black that can reasonably expect to have Crackling Doom'ed everything on your board big enough to live through her minus, but being a six mana walker that can't make blockers or clear Siege Rhinos off the board definitely limits where she can be used.

I will say she is outperforming my expectations of 'lol 6 mana, no play ever'.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

I agree that she feels Elspeth-y from the games I've watched. I love that her +1 is something that proactively kills the opponent, since the decks it fits into will care about that more than decks that played actual Elspeth cared about killing their opponents dead quickly. May need to wait for Seige Rhino to rotate to really take off, given that it can't clear it off the board, but I think $10 seems like a steal. It'll never be a 4-of, but a critical 1- or 2- of in Jeskai-based midrange decks seems like it should be more than $10.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The card I think has some room to grow is Kalitas. Maybe not a lot, but it takes over the game pretty rapidly if not answered.

Chandra would be extremely good if she came into play with 5 loyalty vs. 4.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 31, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Man, the GP coverage just showed us 2/3 of Nakamura's draft sped up, said we didn't have time to watch the last pack before the next game and then spent a bunch of time talking and showing us the intro video.

sigh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Goddamn, guy on SCG just missed top 8 by fetching for the wrong land.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Watching replay of a draft at GP Vancouver, looks like the colorless producing lands from Oath are even higher picks than I predicted. It seems like if you have any plans that involve using colorless mana you should take them over everything but top-tier removal and bombs. It's kind of annoying because it makes it very hard to tell what color the people next to you are in.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I kind of noticed that the hard way from my first draft. Ended up not playing a P1P1 Reality Smasher because I just wasn't aggressive enough on colorless fixing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Angry Grimace posted:

Goddamn, guy on SCG just missed top 8 by fetching for the wrong land.

Yeah that was pretty brutal. He was going too fast and not thinking it through. Sucks

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

:agreed:

I spent this weekend overdosing on magic with the first Magic Madhouse Pro Circuit Open on saturday and then a PPTQ on sunday. Every time I cast her it was game changing and the whole weekend there was only one time I cast her as a four damage sweeper and it was still a 4 for one that drew me a card from a Thought-Knot Seer. She was great in Jeskai Dark-Dwellers w/ Kalitas, the deck never let me down.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

How was the magic madhouse event? Was thinking of going to the Birmingham one so would be interested to know how Manchester was.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Rumours swirling about a big announcement coming this week or at the PT, potentially abolishing the reserved list and an eternal masters set.

Jaded as I am I would still buy a tonne haha.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Rumours swirling about a big announcement coming this week or at the PT, potentially abolishing the reserved list and an eternal masters set.

I'll believe that when I see it. But there's assuredly going to be an announcement of the Special Set since Rosewater already confirmed it exists.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I can probably say that if this turned out to be true that this set would sell probably faster than any other set ever.

It would also be a given that even as the old cards prices would drop during the first few weeks, they would spike again when players figure out that legacy is now a sustainable format and demand surges.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 31, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If Modern Masters has taught us anything, the price of the reprinted chase cards just stays about the same. Reprinted Volcanic Islands are just going to be $180.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Wurzag posted:

How was the magic madhouse event? Was thinking of going to the Birmingham one so would be interested to know how Manchester was.

They did a good job, very nice atmosphere and the venue was great. Something like 178 people entered so it went 8 rounds with a reasonably fast turnover time between rounds. Side events were firing regularly from round 4 onward. The main guy running the feature matches (which were supposed to be streamed but did not see it happen myself) I recognised from Wizards magic broadcasts but dunno who he was.

I am pretty positive about this now I have attended one. I like the big tournament feel and even though they didn't break 200 people it was well run and felt more like a PTQ than a PPTQ and that is what I was after.If they are going to emulate the SCG model then one big thing they probably want to address soon is freebies. It cost £35 to enter which isn't cheap and all but one of us walked away with nothing. Getting a cheap playmat or crappy branded sleeves would go a long way to making it feel like a 'bigger event'. I will be heading to the Birmingham one so might see you there!

I went my usual as 'good as a coin flip' 4-4 to rank at 56/178 but its possible I may have cashed (for £50 OMG!) with one more win as a friend did at 5-2-1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm in the "believe it when I see it" camp too but FWIW the Reserved List page on Wizards' site is still down :lol: Has anyone even told them it's down?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

If Modern Masters has taught us anything, the price of the reprinted chase cards just stays about the same. Reprinted Volcanic Islands are just going to be $180.

I would say that they would probably be less but the older ones would raise in price after the first month. Just depends on how limited the print run is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I'm in the "believe it when I see it" camp too but FWIW the Reserved List page on Wizards' site is still down :lol: Has anyone even told them it's down?

All of their archived content is down at the moment.

I mean, Gatherer comments are still down a year and a half later.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sickening posted:

I can probably say that if this turned out to be true that this set would sell probably faster than any other set ever.

If MM1 (and to a lesser but still significant extent, MM2) are any indication, it wouldn't be printed in sufficient quantities either.

"We've abolished the reserved list, but we still need to be careful. Very, very careful. What would happen if all of a sudden, an eternal format deck cost less than a serviceable used car? It would be a new and frightening world, and I don't think we're truly ready to confront that just yet. Maybe in twenty more years. For now, enjoy literally getting into a knife fight with the guy next to you when you open an Underground Sea in your pool at GP Vegas 2016."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

JerryLee posted:

If MM1 (and to a lesser but still significant extent, MM2) are any indication, it wouldn't be printed in sufficient quantities either.

"We've abolished the reserved list, but we still need to be careful. Very, very careful. What would happen if all of a sudden, an eternal format deck cost less than a serviceable used car? It would be a new and frightening world, and I don't think we're truly ready to confront that just yet. Maybe in twenty more years. For now, enjoy literally getting into a knife fight with the guy next to you when you open an Underground Sea in your pool at GP Vegas 2016."

Well, it would be pretty smart from a business perspective. They would be printing at least 2 limited print run sets that will print money easier than anything else they produce.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would trade away my NM revised, washed out dual lands for newer ones with guaranteed better art so fast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also you know that a paper Vintage/Eternal Masters would just be an excuse for them to make the Ultra Mythic Rare rarity from online VMA a paper reality. They already tested those waters with Expeditions, wake up sheeple!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

guaranteed better art

let's not count our chickens before they hatch

vvv :respek:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I would trade away my NM revised, washed out dual lands for newer ones with guaranteed better art so fast.

In a thread full of bad opinions, this is the worst one yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I didn't think about foils. I don't want to think about foil power 9.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Chill la Chill posted:

Guarantee if they reprint anything it'll have the bad VMA arts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

let's not count our chickens before they hatch
Nah, it's guaranteed. I'll even take dumb CGI art over the old pics. They're pretty terrible and the only cool thing about them were the alternating rectangles.

E: Oh wait if they take away the rectangles :mad: gently caress that

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I wish they would do either a set that is entirely for reprinting cards or a set for drafting that happens to have chase rares instead of getting premium fancy packs that contain garbage that no one wants because you can also draft with them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I wish they would do either a set that is entirely for reprinting cards or a set for drafting that happens to have chase rares instead of getting premium fancy packs that contain garbage that no one wants because you can also draft with them.

The best part about MM-style sets is that people get really mad when you drop out having opened a foil goyf since it "disrupts the drafting experience." :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All that old art still has royalties right? That would probably rule it out.

• Locked thread