Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wordpress and businesses are a script kiddies wet dream: businesses don't want to pay for Wordpress as a hosted service but also hate upgrading things ever.

Manager: why does the login page keep on being reset to default? Oh, disable the automatic updates then.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
me: i got the site back online, but it's probably still vulnerable

manager: does the shopping cart work?

me: :geno:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DaTroof posted:

sever

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

funny how managers care about sales more than the minutiae of php Web app security.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

DaTroof posted:

good way to keep getting contracts imo

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

meatpotato posted:

Available tools: awk, sed, etc., C++ std lib.

Which do I use? I'm proficient at none, gonna learn something though.

Side note: Sorry people with leading or trailing spaces in your SSID, I guess we can't connect to you.

can't you just escape poo poo? when you see /* just turn it into /\* or something stupid and change it back when not using JSON?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

craisins posted:

can't you just escape poo poo? when you see /* just turn it into /\* or something stupid and change it back when not using JSON?

this is actually hilariously tricky to do correctly

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

meatpotato posted:

Edit: I'm so amazed that operating systems don't crash more often due to terrible drivers. Does the kernel protect against drivers doing stupid poo poo?

usually not. often it's pointless because the devices themselves are not isolated from the system (can interrupt the CPU, can read and write main memory, can feed code to the CPU, etc.), so software that can drive them can indirectly mess with the system

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

qntm posted:

I misunderstood the initial issue - I assumed /* was in reference to a comment in JS (even though JSON doesn't have comments) and not in terms of running something in a prompt. sucks

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

craisins posted:

qntm posted:

I changed the shell script in two ways, only one of which is required to solve this specific problem but more is better, right?

1) Set the IFS to '\n' (to read a line at a time, rather than the default which is merely whitespace-separated) and use a for loop rather than 'read', which was globbing. Actually, this behavior makes shell scripting 1000% better. It should be the default IMO (learned about it here http://redsymbol.net/articles/unofficial-bash-strict-mode/).
2) I later learned that I can simply disable globbing with 'set -f' at the start of the script.

I'm looking into more ways to harden these stupid scripts, but I don't know how to attack them so I don't know how to harden them. The first step ought to be checking if lighttpd is escaping query strings, I think.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
could always pay for another security audi-pffft

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 31, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have no idea how embedded things work but it seems really unreasonable to me that you can run sh but cant afford a decent plang or non std c++ libs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have no idea how embedded things work but it seems really unreasonable to me that you can run sh but cant afford a decent plang or non std c++ libs

it's not just about processing power, storage can be very restricted too. sh is tiny, plangs are big.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what about using non-standard c++ libs? or like, some command line tool that isn't awk for dealing with this poo poo?

is it a legal/licensing issue? it's just hard for me to understand a world where a world where hand rolling your own json parser in bash is the only way to deal with json

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Nah, we're using somebody else's sh-based hand-rolled json library. Large parts of the project are hosed up, but it's not completely stupid. Actually, the largest part of the system is C++ with a few non-std libs. I'm just off in a small corner that was written in sh instead. I don't know C++ well enough to justify re-writing the few mostly-working scripts we already have.

Our processing power is actually really good, I think our main application only uses ~10% CPU time. Like Soricidus said, space is a limiting factor. We have <8 MB of flash to hold Linux + our application + persistent data storage + everything else we need (debug tools, etc.).

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
I'm surprised Linux can exist on less than 8mb

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

meatpotato posted:

Nah, we're using somebody else's sh-based hand-rolled json library. Large parts of the project are hosed up, but it's not completely stupid. Actually, the largest part of the system is C++ with a few non-std libs. I'm just off in a small corner that was written in sh instead. I don't know C++ well enough to justify re-writing the few mostly-working scripts we already have.

Our processing power is actually really good, I think our main application only uses ~10% CPU time. Like Soricidus said, space is a limiting factor. We have <8 MB of flash to hold Linux + our application + persistent data storage + everything else we need (debug tools, etc.).

8mb? what luxury!

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I think we have 128 (or 64, can't remember) MB of RAM. The Linux image is stored compressed in a special section of flash and a bootloader unzips the kernel to RAM when the system boots. Very common as far as I can tell.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ludwig van Halen posted:

8mb? what luxury!

Up until now my only paid programming experience has been with under 256 kB of flash and 16 kB of RAM, so yeah it actually feels pretty nice.

Unfortunately those small systems are way easier to debug.

Since /tmp maps to RAM we have space for some decently-sized debugging tools on this system. However, MIPS is a ghetto and while lots of relatively standard software will compile to a MIPS target, it won't run. Valgrind, for instance, just hangs and consumes 100% CPU. We can run gdbserver and remote debug easily, but it's not really completely functional. Most of the time we can't get a backtrace when poo poo crashes. This partially is because MIPS doesn't have a frame pointer register, but also because the signal handler code for Linux on MIPS isn't complete. :(

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OpenWRT lives on 4-32MB apparently? There are a few articles of fitting Linux + InitRD on 1MB flash too.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

meatpotato posted:

Up until now my only paid programming experience has been with under 256 kB of flash and 16 kB of RAM, so yeah it actually feels pretty nice.

i was just pulling your leg

i just started a javascript job and everytime i do anything with node it has to spin up a multi-hundred mb instance of chrome
my work pc has 4gb of ram and it gets filled up quick

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i just started a javascript job and everytime i do anything with node it has to spin up a multi-hundred mb instance of chrome
my work pc has 4gb of ram and it gets filled up quick

what the hell are you doing with node

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It's also not difficult to run our code on a desktop machine but it hasn't been very useful for debugging because then it doesn't crash.

(I think) our scariest intermittent crash is from some kind of unaligned memory access deep deep down in code a math phd wrote. MIPS and x86 don't behave the same at that level, x86 has no problem getting a uint32 on a weird boundary.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

what the hell are you doing with node

:shrug:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
like what are you doing with node that is creating a chrome instance? testing through karma or something?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

like what are you doing with node that is creating a chrome instance? testing through karma or something?

oh nah, i mean it spins up v8 which is close enough

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

meatpotato posted:

It's also not difficult to run our code on a desktop machine but it hasn't been very useful for debugging because then it doesn't crash.

(I think) our scariest intermittent crash is from some kind of unaligned memory access deep deep down in code a math phd wrote. MIPS and x86 don't behave the same at that level, x86 has no problem getting a uint32 on a weird boundary.

go on ebay find some old mips-based workstations or get one of those ideologically correct laptops?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

meatpotato posted:

It seems like you could write a crash handler for an unaligned read that fetches the two chunks individually and then stitches them together, before resuming where it left off.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fritz posted:

go on ebay find some old mips-based workstations or get one of those ideologically correct laptops?

"ideologically correct laptop" intrigued me so I looked online and found a review of a north-korean tablet computer, looks sweet. Make sure you scroll to the photo with the ICBM as a desktop background.
http://38north.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SamjiyonProductReview_RFrank102213-2.pdf

Jabor posted:

It seems like you could write a crash handler for an unaligned read that fetches the two chunks individually and then stitches them together, before resuming where it left off.

That sounds like it would work but:
1) I'm posting in the terrible programmer thread
2) The code is multithreaded which makes things like this hard, I think.

Our team found out about this patch http://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=2389c41f7c8f92ff84b6dda57fc94d8dfc760d8c posted yesterday (titled fix GDB debugging on MIPS) and one of my more-senior co-workers is going balls-out now that backtraces work, I've gotten a dozen emails from him in the last few hours finding previously-untraceable bugs.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Ludwig van Halen posted:

oh nah, i mean it spins up v8 which is close enough

no it's not. it's not at all.

opening up the node REPL is ~8MB of RAM for me so i have no idea what you're doing.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

meatpotato posted:

just sprinkle some __attribute__((aligned(1))) on your code

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

go on ebay find some old mips-based workstations

you should do this anyway, and run NetBSD on them

I wonder how may times faster a little OpenWRT-based dingus is than an R3000-based DECstation 5000 running Ultrix

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

some moron programmer was adding everyone to our apple testflight beta testing thing and he was screwing up the email addresses and names all the time so we had like 50 duplicate entries and only some of the names were capitalized and some people's first and last names were switched. i finally sat down and spent an hour cleaning it up and my autism is the most soothed its been in weeks

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
man gently caress that guy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't use mips

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

please

it's triggering

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bloody posted:

don't use mips

my undergrad capstone project was writing a compiler that read pascal and output mips assembly :heysexy:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Bloody posted:

please

it's triggering

srs question from someone who doesn't know better, whats wrong with mips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Barnyard Protein posted:

srs question from someone who doesn't know better, whats wrong with mips?

Nothing, really. MIPS is a sane assembly language, although nothing you learn applies to the x86 assembly people actually use. More general purpose registers, ability to do math and assign in one instruction, etc.

• Locked thread