Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Sent Dismas to the brothel after he contracted syphilis in the Weald. I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snak posted:

I have found that, as I transition to Veteran level dungeons, having more healing abilities than one really good healer is pretty important. In level 1 dungeons, having one occultist or one vestal was basically all I needed, now I need one, and for at least one other person to have a small heal. Fortunatly, the game is set up this way. I also find that the Crusader's targeted stress heal is really really good. And Man-at-Arms, which seem unnecessary in the earlier dungeons, is really good now too.

The problem with other sources of health healing is that they are only actually useful when you have the fight under control, and are just abusing stuns on 1 enemy while everyone else uses their healing abilities. Otherwise you are wasting a damage dealing character's turn on a healing ability, thus leaving the enemies alive longer, and there's a very good chance they can easily outdamage your ability. One crit in a champion level dungeon is 30-50 damage. I'm not disagreeing with you, because dragging out fights to heal is an important strategy in the game, but I don't think it really has to do with the Vestal vs. Occultist debate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

I thought Occultists were way better than Vestals until champion level dungeons, when it swings back the other way hard. When enemies have way higher accuracy and can start 1-2 hitting your squishy heroes you need reliable healing. The accuracy bonus to enemies is actually the bigger culprit than the damage-- When the enemies always hit, your healer ends just healing 90% of the time, and the Vestal is way better at that than the Occultist.

I found exactly the opposite actually--I had been using my vestal as a healbot and that worked up through veteran tier, but after reaching champion I had to ditch the heal trinkets in favor of a more aggressive approach.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

The problem with other sources of health healing is that they are only actually useful when you have the fight under control, and are just abusing stuns on 1 enemy while everyone else uses their healing abilities. Otherwise you are wasting a damage dealing character's turn on a healing ability, thus leaving the enemies alive longer, and there's a very good chance they can easily outdamage your ability. One crit in a champion level dungeon is 30-50 damage. I'm not disagreeing with you, because dragging out fights to heal is an important strategy in the game, but I don't think it really has to do with the Vestal vs. Occultist debate.

It's less that having more healing abilities lets me heal more than it lets me heal more situationally. If I have two people who can heal, then I can choose which of them heals and which of them uses some other utility or damage ability.

For example, if you have an occultist as a primary healer, there's going to be times where Abyssal Artillery is what you want him to do.

My improvements at playing this game have a lot of do with letting characters use the most optimal abilities while allowing their combination to have a high versatility.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 31, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gabriel Pope posted:

I found exactly the opposite actually--I had been using my vestal as a healbot and that worked up through veteran tier, but after reaching champion I had to ditch the heal trinkets in favor of a more aggressive approach.

Yeah, I find the Vestal is primarily only really good at squatting down and making GBS threads out a constant stream of reliable healing and very occasionally throwing out a stun, whereas the occultist helps the party kill things significantly faster so you're running less risks of Captain Treebranch putting someone in the ground, which means your party survives fights in better condition. Even in the worst case, an Occultist crapping massive damage debuffs over Fat Enemy Du Jour will prevent a looooot of damage. Even Champion Giants aren't super terrifying when they're doing -95% damage or whatever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Went back to my parent's for the weekend, launched the game, went "hmnn, I didn't remember having a 30 week Estate in this computer. Well, better delete it and start over, this was from Early Access".

:(

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone know of a good video run through of all the Darkest Dungeon (location) quests? After putting a lot of time in the game, finally took the plunge myself, got wrecked, and no longer have the desire to train up another round of heroes to finish it, but I really want to see the ending content. Thanks

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I find the Vestal is primarily only really good at squatting down and making GBS threads out a constant stream of reliable healing and very occasionally throwing out a stun, whereas the occultist helps the party kill things significantly faster so you're running less risks of Captain Treebranch putting someone in the ground, which means your party survives fights in better condition.

To clarify, I still use the Vestal and find she pulls her weight just fine, but she's a dedicated Judgment/Dazzling Light spammer who occasionally pops a heal when she has a chance.

And yeah, like Snak I really prefer having multiple heals handy. When someone does eat one of those big champion crits, being able to dogpile heals is a lifesaver. The occultist's giant heal rolls are nice but that's not actually a strategy.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

tbf, it does kinda suck when you lose one or two vital party members, and have to level up new ones when the rest of the roster is level 5+.

I'm in this boat at the moment; after kind of dicking my way through veteran-level quests and getting a good feel for survival I'm discovering the joys of Champion mode. :ughh:

I'm guessing I'll have to learn to just let the courtiers slosh their poo poo all over my party and let my party go apeshit so I don't get critted to death by a graveyard slash while trying to rage down the courtier immediately in every loving battle.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
How many missions does it take to get to level 3? I would estimate 7 and that's a long grind. My idea to reduce the grind would be to stop putting out level 1 missions along with making new recruits start at level 3 after you defeat all of the level 1 bosses. You could do something similar after you beat all of the Veteran bosses as well.

Question: Do you guys upgrade the Occultist's Heal? Back in early access many people avoided it because it increased the chance of getting hit with the dot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like to think that it shifts the bellcurve of heals over to the right, but i have no evidence for this

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Since resolve increases bleed resistance, it's usually not much of an issue. You can keep it at level 4 if you wish, since that's usually good enough with a couple of +heal trinkets.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

RVWinkle posted:

How many missions does it take to get to level 3? I would estimate 7 and that's a long grind. My idea to reduce the grind would be to stop putting out level 1 missions along with making new recruits start at level 3 after you defeat all of the level 1 bosses. You could do something similar after you beat all of the Veteran bosses as well.

Question: Do you guys upgrade the Occultist's Heal? Back in early access many people avoided it because it increased the chance of getting hit with the dot.
I think ti's only maybe 2 or 3 weeks, less if you tackle medium or long missions. Characters also get bonus experience for going at a mission a tier above their level, but obviously overconfidence etc.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i like to think that it shifts the bellcurve of heals over to the right, but i have no evidence for this

if it's literally just a diceroll with the numbers on it then 0-30 has double the average than 0-15 and half the chance of a zero heal

(not precisely but close enough, don't sperg statistics at me)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I'm in this boat at the moment; after kind of dicking my way through veteran-level quests and getting a good feel for survival I'm discovering the joys of Champion mode. :ughh:

I'm guessing I'll have to learn to just let the courtiers slosh their poo poo all over my party and let my party go apeshit so I don't get critted to death by a graveyard slash while trying to rage down the courtier immediately in every loving battle.

Stuns. Stuns and +stun trinkets can save you all kinds of grief. That or have a MaA with his guard ability or a Houndmaster with dogde (dogde) equivalent, although depending on those all the time tends to extend fights unless paired with powerful damage dealing combos (like the Highwayman/Highwayman Point Blank Shot Roulette). On Champ tier, pending on the enemies you will face, you'll not hurt from having half the party, or more, capable of stunning efficiently, and the other half (or more) capable of dealing burst damage that will take out 1 or 2 enemies in the first or second round. +speed buffs or trinkets can be worth it simply to prevent enemies from acting that one more time (or even at all). I often went with half party utility (i.e. stuns/heals/guards) and half wrecking balls (i.e. high damage dealing classes w/+dmg trinkets) with abilities that extended into the third rank at the very least.

Avoiding the RNG critdeaths is also helped along by having, alongside any primary Occultist/Vestal healers (w/+heal trinkets), additional healing abilities like the Hellion's adrenaline, the Plague Doctor's heal, the Arbalest's bandages (best of the lot, if you ask me), the Hound Master's Lick Wounds, the Crusader's battle standard, the Leper's Solemnity, and making zealous use of those to top your party's health off before finishing fights (i.e. one enemy left, keep stunning that guy, heal as able, and end the fight if you begin to suffer stress). Those can also be a godsend when crits threaten to outrace your healing capabilities and they help with hero survivability on Death's Door, since the hero, instead of waiting on the dedicated healer, can pop it to save their bacon.

Important: It might actually be worth risking someone hitting Death's Door in order to try for a near-guaranteed kill of an enemy, as one less enemy means less damage overall, and one less chance that someone even gets DD'd. Obviously don't do this all the time, as overconfidence, etc., and do heed this very important lesson: KILL THE PIG, DRINK ITS BLOOD kill enemies before they go. Kill them, even if they're not the enemy you'd rather have killed, as long as they CAN be killed. It's better to have one less enemy than to accidentally end up with two that are near death and given a chance to act. Use and depend on the skills that give you good odds at finishing enemies off, and avoid relying on long shots if you can help it (i.e. trying to kill an enemy about to go with 18 hp left with a 10-19 attack; a stun, healing/buffing or DoTing would likely be superior moves).

If you're decent at judging risks/planning, you can even look at the speed of the enemies versus that of your own party and plan ahead for the next round. "If monster A is still alive, Hero B is probably going to go before them, giving me a chance to finish them off, since their damage potential is higher than the monster's current HP, meaning Hero C, rather than finishing off Monster A, can stun Monster B this round, preventing it from using its turn'. Instead of killing an enemy now, you prevent two enemy moves and STILL kill that enemy later. Beginning to think like this changed things during Champion runs for me. You can't really afford to waste too many moves on unnecessary actions or on recovering (at least not with the entire enemy party alive), so git 'em dead as fast as you can. Heck, I even began planning around DoTs (and to a lesser extent Crit chance), since getting killed by those removed corpses, and could gently caress up (or gloriously enable) whose and what abilities I could use on the monsters.

tldr; the more you deny the enemy their actions using stuns and killing them with burst damage and well-timed tactics, the less need you will have of healing and the less stress you'll receive overall. But equip heal skills on all that have them, just in case.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ran into giants for the first time in the Weald and now I never go there without at least one dedicated and consistent stunner.

By the by, that bar that fills up to indicate when you can tackle the boss; if it fills up again but the boss hasn't been defeated yet, what happens?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kanos posted:

Did...did you just notice, guy? :psyduck:

I meant in the sense that this guy probably listens to bands you never heard of and is The Most Straight Edge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bad Seafood posted:

Ran into giants for the first time in the Weald and now I never go there without at least one dedicated and consistent stunner.

By the by, that bar that fills up to indicate when you can tackle the boss; if it fills up again but the boss hasn't been defeated yet, what happens?

It just clears the way to the next boss so you can go there directly after defeating the current one.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Bad Seafood posted:

It keeps filling up and readies the next boss for when the first queued boss is cleared.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, alright. I was worried it might replace the boss when I want to fight everyone, only I'm not ready to tackle any of the veteran-tier bosses with a barracks full of fresh-faced level 3 adventurers, but I want to farm heirlooms to improve my town.

Thanks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, just one more step until I can do the final room battle, I camped 2 rooms before, should be fine right?

I hate this bullshit RNG.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Thanks for the diseases game!
The fight just before the Siran was the Scambler.
Of course he pushed the healer into "Irrational" -> Hilarious when she gets mind controlled, and just goes *pass*

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah, just one more step until I can do the final room battle, I camped 2 rooms before, should be fine right?

To fall for such a little thinggg; a bite of bread!

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Daktari posted:

Thanks for the diseases game!
The fight just before the Siran was the Scambler.
Of course he pushed the healer into "Irrational" -> Hilarious when she gets mind controlled, and just goes *pass*

The Siren charmed my Abomination once which I thought would make for a first class one-way ticket to hurt city but instead he just healed himself.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Bad Seafood posted:

The Siren charmed my Abomination once which I thought would make for a first class one-way ticket to hurt city but instead he just healed himself.

I like the Abomination. Too bad I feel like have a healer tag along:
I'm up to week 40, and I've gotten 1 Occultist. :ugh:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
GODAMNIT I HATE BRIGANDS STILL

I lost everybody in my group on the last room to these brigands. They are still the most dangerous bunch. I lost Reynald last to a heart attack, great. It was the second to last room to explore though so technically I won even though that was possibly the most pathetic fight i've ever done. I actually did a better job on the fight where I curiously opened that void orb, because at least I won.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Daktari posted:

I like the Abomination. Too bad I feel like have a healer tag along:
I'm up to week 40, and I've gotten 1 Occultist. :ugh:
That always sucks. I didn't get a single Man-at-Arms until like week 25.

There was a huge gap where I wasn't getting any Crusaders or Highwaymen either, then I got a few of each out of the blue. Then I realized I kinda don't need Crusaders - or Highwaymen but I dig those guys so they can stay.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I also just realized that because I had to explore the rooms, I could've just retreated the fight instead of losing four people I was levelling up. They died for nothing.

Darkest Dungeon.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

FrickenMoron posted:

Hey you're the one that ate the last 4 food. Taking a calculated risk and it not working out isn't bullshit rng man.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It kind of is when your guys roll a hunger check 3 hallways in a row.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZypherIM posted:

Hey you're the one that ate the last 4 food. Taking a calculated risk and it not working out isn't bullshit rng man.

He used the food when camping, you dolt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ZypherIM posted:

I got 4 of those in a row once, probably because I had to backtrack 4 rooms due to room layout.
Sometimes the RNG just fucks you over.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ZypherIM posted:

It would be nice to have a hunger bar tho, one influenced by eating before being prompted (but tracking who eats so stuffing one person to full doesn't count for a full party feast), not a perfect one either, it can be an estimated thing just to screw with the player some.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I find the Vestal is primarily only really good at squatting down and making GBS threads out a constant stream of reliable healing and very occasionally throwing out a stun, whereas the occultist helps the party kill things significantly faster so you're running less risks of Captain Treebranch putting someone in the ground, which means your party survives fights in better condition. Even in the worst case, an Occultist crapping massive damage debuffs over Fat Enemy Du Jour will prevent a looooot of damage. Even Champion Giants aren't super terrifying when they're doing -95% damage or whatever.

i had the swine king sitting at -190% damage the whole fight when i did him. Was interesting being more afraid of wilbur than him. I had a lovely party setup though sadly, so it went on longer than I cared, i was relying on my one crusader with +30% in damage quirks, a beast slayer ring and another +damage very rare I can't recall. It was a very safe fight though, wasn't worried at all since the king started to miss more than hit due to the stacking -acc from the leper.

Also a use for the leper is just spamming intimidate on every fight, he doesn't do completely horrid damage with it and it does do a hefty -dmg and OK -acc debuff on the front two.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There shouldn't be a hunger bar but there should be some kind of soft, invisible buffer between meals/camps.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also its really dumb that you can have 3 food but all your guys still starve when one of those checks comes up.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Im pretty sure there is a hunger meter that prevents you from getting hunger events every single hallway or after camping but goons are bad at not only the game but short term memory

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

"Okay, so some bits flew off when I flogged myself, but obviously that means they were the weak parts and the ones I still have are like, super strong. Trust me."

dog party

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Normal Adult Human posted:

Im pretty sure there is a hunger meter that prevents you from getting hunger events every single hallway or after camping ...

this is what i thought too because I've never had a hunger event until at least a hall+room after camping or the last hunger event but so many people in this thread have talked about getting them hall after hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's almost as if the lack of transparency about the mechanic is what makes people call it RNG.