Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Chromatic posted:

Is there anything that's happened similar to the Mike Levy Incident? Because I just saw it and good god.

How were those guys not charged?

They told Levy that they wanted to bring him back and it was going to be a hot angle, so he told the authorities it was part of the show and he wasn't pressing charges.

Of course they never brought him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Does anyone think Hulk Hogan looks at Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant with jealously, seeing as Valiant can wrestle an entire match without losing his bandana?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjUZn0axak

He should have, because Valiant was better than Hogan in every way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIYXjzgv4Y

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 31, 2016

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

rotinaj posted:

He should have, because Valiant was better than Hogan in every way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSIYXjzgv4Y

Hogan even ripped off his Charlie Brown From Outta-town gimmick when he did mr America.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Chromatic posted:

Is there anything that's happened similar to the Mike Levy Incident? Because I just saw it and good god.

That was some disgusting carnie juggalo poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chromatic posted:

How were those guys not charged?

There's always the Mass Transit Incident in ECW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And the time New Jack stabbed a rookie in the ring for being ignorant about the business; I think that was in Florida.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FunMerrania posted:

That was some disgusting carnie juggalo poo poo.

Hey hey hey hey, Insane Clown Posse are actually pretty well regarded in the wrestling business.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah but juggalos aren't.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Most of those fuckers can't even juggle.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
New Jack vs Gypsy Joe

New Jack vs American Gangstas

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

And the time New Jack stabbed a rookie in the ring for being ignorant about the business; I think that was in Florida.

I think that's some dude named William Lane who New Jack claimed was actively being a dick to him for a while. Why you would be any sort of aggressive towards New Jack or if the guy even was doing what he said is a story for another day. But between that and the Gypsy Joe match New Jack has definitely stabbed at least two people in the ring because he's an insane, violent maniac

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Apparently New Jack and William Lane got on fine backstage until he found out that Lane was a cop. Then came the stabbing.

Oh and there was time when a kid got confused because New Jack told him to take it home when the ref was telling him they had 5 more minutes, kicked out of a couple of moves and got beaten so badly he ended up with a cracked skull.

Like he even feels he was justified in the American Gangsters incident because "They stole my gimmick."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I remember right from a shoot interview, New Jack said that in their pre-match discussion, Lane asked New Jack to blade him and didn't know what "gig" means. So New Jack decided to stab him for being so green.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

New Jacks statement to the police was along that lines, that they agreed verbally to bring a piece of metal to the ring to use as a weapon.

I seem to recall they was some stupid way he got out of it as well. Didn't he agree to train him for a while?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, he agreed to train him so he'd drop the charges, then left the state. I don't know how dropping charges works when you're talking aggravated assault with a knife, but

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

somewhere it came up that one of the reasons everyone in WWE is getting hurt these days has to do with them wrestling so many times per week. Regardless of whether this is true, when did the wrestling schedule become so crazy? Or, is 3+ shows a week been the norm for WWE for awhile? And how does this compare to companies in other countries (Japan, Mexico)?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Halloween Jack posted:

If I remember right from a shoot interview, New Jack said that in their pre-match discussion, Lane asked New Jack to blade him and didn't know what "gig" means. So New Jack decided to stab him for being so green.

Between this and Mass Transit asking New Jack to blade you seems like a suicidal wish.

BWV posted:

somewhere it came up that one of the reasons everyone in WWE is getting hurt these days has to do with them wrestling so many times per week. Regardless of whether this is true, when did the wrestling schedule become so crazy? Or, is 3+ shows a week been the norm for WWE for awhile? And how does this compare to companies in other countries (Japan, Mexico)?

It's been like this ever since the late 90s with WWE revolving the programming around and adding/dropping shows so we average at least 3 shows a week and a PPV a month. The Attitude Era at its peak had RAW, SmackDown, Heat and a bunch of recap/development tune-up shows like Jakked and Metal running every week.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 31, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

BWV posted:

Depends on the size of the company but it's normal for Mexico and some companies in Japan. Successful indie wrestlers aren't working triple shots for the same company week in and week out but they're travelling a lot and making a similar amount of dates.

WWE hasn't always been this crazy but western wrestling has been about gruelling schedules for years.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BWV posted:

Well, they cut off the brand split, a lot of dudes are hurt, the roster is a lot smaller these days than it used to be, and the more experienced guys are still all doing crazy spots to try and wow the crowd to make up for lovely booking that's killed their heat. So everybody's killing themselves to try not to end up just floating like Kofi before the New Day or Ziggler forever.

(And even when they had the brand split, they'd do a shitload of house shows, but now the same dude needs to be on two or three or four TV show matches a week)

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Did D-Lo ever need the chest protector or was it a Cowboy Bob deal?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

magnum_valentino posted:

Did D-Lo ever need the chest protector or was it a Cowboy Bob deal?

Dan Severn put him in a hold that kayfabe tore his pectoral or something, and he kept it long after it healed

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

WWE hasn't always been this crazy

When hasn't it been? When Sammartino was champ? Hogan-era house shows were largely just matches where guys only cared about hitting their time cue to go home so they could get going to the next show.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Have they always done mutliple concurrent house show tours? I imagine having one tour could conceivably help main eventers to some extent and midcarders to a much greater extent

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

When hasn't it been? When Sammartino was champ? Hogan-era house shows were largely just matches where guys only cared about hitting their time cue to go home so they could get going to the next show.

People go harder on shows these days as standards have escalated over time to an unhealthy degree, and they work more dates than ever including promotional appearances and semi-regular foreign and overseas tours

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Don't forget that being in a state of near constant travel will take its toll as well. Hours cooped up in a car or on a plane, working a show, then repeating again and again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Isn't the schedule a lot less strenuous than it used to be? I thought back in the 80s-90s guys were on the road non-stop for weeks at a time?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It has always been really lovely but in the last 10 years since the birth of Youtube/social media and WWE's attempts to insinuate itself into everything, it's become an on-call 24/7 thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TL posted:

Isn't the schedule a lot less strenuous than it used to be? I thought back in the 80s-90s guys were on the road non-stop for weeks at a time?
The schedule might be less strenuous but the workrate is a lot different. They didn't go to broadway draws back in the day just because of better conditioning

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Apropos of nothing I didn't realize the depth to which brawling is in the bones of WWE til I watched Patterson / Slaughter from 30+ years ago

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yes and there is the issue that in 1980 you were a perfectly fine wrestler if you were made out of dough and your big mid-match move was a vertical suplex.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress sake what a horrible work life these dudes must have. Good job they love their work (in ring anyway). They should have their wages doubled.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I can't get over at the WWE level that most of those guys are in the ring wrestling maybe an hour and a half a week if they're lucky. The rest is EVERYTHING ELSE, so you'd better like it, and also traveling while trying to maintain an excellent physique, often with nagging injuries.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BWV posted:

WWE's schedule is much lighter than it was in the 80s when wrestlers worked close to 300 matches a year. Now barely anyone does more than 200.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah I can't get over at the WWE level that most of those guys are in the ring wrestling maybe an hour and a half a week if they're lucky. The rest is EVERYTHING ELSE, so you'd better like it, and also traveling while trying to maintain an excellent physique, often with nagging injuries.

To me, the worst part is the imminent break down of the body in later years. That'll have to weigh on their mind

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Uh Edge and Christian owned though. There can be multiple types of heels, they don't all have to be Satan incarnate

Can we get Satan incarnate tho?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Can we get Satan incarnate tho?

I think KO is the best we've got at the moment. Well, him, or Stephanie.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

They told Levy that they wanted to bring him back and it was going to be a hot angle, so he told the authorities it was part of the show and he wasn't pressing charges.

Of course they never brought him back.

not true

The part where they never brought him back, i mean. The part where they promised to bring him back to keep him from pressing charges is still true.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Who would win in a fight between Jim Dotson and Doug Dillinger

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ZDar Fan posted:

Who would win in a fight between Jim Dotson and Doug Dillinger

Ralphus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There was also the infamous JBL vs Blue Meanie thing, not quite the same as New Jack stabbing a guy but still he did just break a dudes face because he didn't like him.