Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Male Man posted:

Yeah, but you can do like I do and banish it to some distant corner of the keyboard while separate roll and sprint are kept handy.

Right, I just meant that it's impossible to be in a situation where you can't roll if you need to. It just might be awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Possibly the best image to show DE's devcycle.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Male Man posted:

Yeah, but you can do like I do and banish it to some distant corner of the keyboard while separate roll and sprint are kept handy.

But as a reminder, rolling is crazy good. Besides giving you 80% DR (stacking multiplicatively with any other DR) and status immunity for the duration, it gives you a lot of additional speed and air control. Roll to correct a bad jump. Roll to quickly weave around corners. Roll through bombard missiles and fire eximus waves to totally neuter them.

Try rolling.

If more people use it it will get nerfed. I would bet on that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Male Man posted:

But as a reminder, rolling is crazy good. Besides giving you 80% DR (stacking multiplicatively with any other DR) and status immunity for the duration, it gives you a lot of additional speed and air control. Roll to correct a bad jump. Roll to quickly weave around corners. Roll through bombard missiles and fire eximus waves to totally neuter them.

Try rolling.

You can also roll through those loving Corpus lasers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does that set off the alarms in a vault?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

SynthOrange posted:

Does that set off the alarms in a vault?

If you mean spy missions, then yes the alarm is sounded

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Why did they limit energy to 50 in the endurance. Was it to stop people without the most expensive mods necessary to use that much? or just spite? It seems like a lot of their decisions are just based on spite, as a newcomer to the game

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Relin posted:

Why did they limit energy to 50 in the endurance. Was it to stop people without the most expensive mods necessary to use that much? or just spite? It seems like a lot of their decisions are just based on spite, as a newcomer to the game

They totally are balancing things around people being fully geared out that much has been clear for a long time.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I have like a thousand hours in this game and haven't played it in a year. Has anything worthwhile happened that I should try it again?

I saw some weird mods that added massive elemental damage when "bullet jumping" whatever the gently caress that is. Seems things have changed.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 1, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FRAMES, GUNS, STALKER, STALKER WANNABES, NEW OPERATOR POWERS, SORTIES.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Chocobo posted:

Seems things have changed.

War has changed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh right, was movement 2.0 in before you stopped playing? Because phew yeah that's made relying on melee weapons for fast movement completely redundant now.

Also boss raids. :cry:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
No more spamming slide attacks to get around? Did they actually put in a better system or is it some convoluted bullshit now?

Also, I'm going to assume raid bosses are terrible to access and have no meaningful rewards?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chocobo posted:

No more spamming slide attacks to get around? Did they actually put in a better system or is it some convoluted bullshit now?

Also, I'm going to assume raid bosses are terrible to access and have no meaningful rewards?

It's fun. Install and play it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They have rewards and some goons run regular raids, but others find it too tedious bullshit. (one of the raids is archwing hahah)

Movement features, crouch leap, bouncing off walls, wall latching, bullet time if you're aiming and jumping/flying :v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Chocobo posted:

Yeah now you can double jump and you have a dash jump that puts you near copter speed. It's slower but you can do it in any direction, mid jump, ect so mobility went insanely through the roof. Also no more stamina.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Relin posted:

It's based on "we have no idea to scale difficulty".

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

https://gfycat.com/InconsequentialCookedDuiker

Acolytes: Origins

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

randombattle posted:

Also no more stamina.

Except for wall cling.

e: Invisible stamina, anyway.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Relin posted:

I sincerely think "spite" is the answer to everything DE does. Alad V is the personification of DE in the Shadow Debt Defense. Blames us for his mistakes, and is angered by the thought of us having fun.

Excavation changes? Spite
Taking out Baro? Spite
Manics dropping Ash parts? Spite
The Codex not counting that third scan I totally got on Malice? SPITE!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
So I logged in, did a Sortie which was kind of fun, got a Lens which is apparently for another entirely new feature I hadn't heard of. Need to do some quest to unlock that junk, and at the same time only have two days to do the current big event. Bahhhhh time limits!

I mean, I guess I can just wait for the final challenger thing to get the Vulkar Wraith and buy the event mods I want later on. We'll see how lazy I am. Or is that not how it works? Or is the current countdown the final 3 days? I don't even loving know.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 1, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Chocobo posted:

So I logged in, did a Sortie which was kind of fun, got a Lens which is apparently for another entirely new feature I hadn't heard of. Need to do some quest to unlock that junk, and at the same time only have two days to do the current big event. Bahhhhh time limits!

Unlocking focus shouldn't be a huge priority. Its a cool quest and I highly recommend it, but focus takes a loooong time to become actually useful. Hopefully the new mods from this event will be available afterwards, but no one is sure.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Chocobo posted:

Did they actually put in a better system or is it some convoluted bullshit now?

Yes and yes, actually. The new system is a hell of a lot more flexible. New wallrunning is bad, but only if you use it for actual wallrunning- what it's really good for is refreshing your bullet jump in midair by bouncing off a solid surface that isn't the ground. You can climb quickly and infinitely up walls like this- bounce, jump, bounce, jump, etc. Aimglide is extremely useful for course-correction and gliding over long distances. Also, get used to rebounding backwards off of walls in order to get clear of obstacles for your next bullet jump. You can do some crazy floor-is-lava multidirectional poo poo in the new system.

However, "less hand strain" is the best joke told by DE in all of 2015, at least if you enjoy being good at the new movement.

It's both better and more convoluted, but it's definitely fun on the whole.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

General Wishy posted:

Taking out Baro? Spite

Considering what super :spergin: level negativity they had from these forums alone, is that really such a surprise?

General Wishy posted:

Manics dropping Ash parts? Spite

:gitgud:

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Baro was a poo poo mechanic they were incapable of supporting and only added to the power creep in ways that will be very difficult to deal with in the future.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

See? Some of us made it to the bargaining phase already!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Well, that event wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Brought out the oldschool Radial Blind Excal. Turns out they still haven't nerfed permanent map wide CC?

New mobility definitely seems more fun, will take a while to get used to it though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chocobo posted:

Well, that event wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Brought out the oldschool Radial Blind Excal. Turns out they still haven't nerfed permanent map wide CC?

New mobility definitely seems more fun, will take a while to get used to it though.

Wait until you start messing with EBlade. That's super fun, and every slide attack ends in a small-radius Radial Blind of its own.

Javelin is still nerfed into the ground, though.

Here's what you need to know: Your actual melee weapon doesn't matter, so long as it has the energy to fit all the mods you want onto it. Mods are copied onto Eblade/Hysteria's pseudoweapon, which has its own base stats. The only difference is that if you've got a weapon-specific mod that calls a specific weapon or weapon type, it's going to not work on Eblade/Hysteria.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 1, 2016

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

teach me your ways

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

curious posted:

teach me your ways

Do Law of Retribution, the raid. A single run will get you a full set.

Speaking of, what's everyone's favorite arcane for just general content?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Speaking of, what's everyone's favorite arcane for just general content?

Maxed arcane strike is pretty great for Exalted Blade, pretty much a 20% damage buff. Only bothered with it because Excalibur's my boy. The rest don't seem anywhere near worth the hassle/plat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Unlocking focus shouldn't be a huge priority. Its a cool quest and I highly recommend it, but focus takes a loooong time to become actually useful. Hopefully the new mods from this event will be available afterwards, but no one is sure.

Like hell it does. Choose Zenurik. Put a lens on Ember. Go do Draco a couple times and run around jumping into crowds and hitting Accelerant while World on Fire does it's thing. Congrats you capped Focus for the day. Now do it two more times and you can already get Energy Overflow to rank 2 out of 3. This alone opens up a host of nonsense possibilities for most of the frames in the game.

Naramon takes a lot of grinding to bring out its potential, but it's a very specialized tree that is only really worth loving with on Valkyr/Excalibur/Ash. The rest of the Focus schools are basically irrelevant right now sadly.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
What happens to your old focus tree when you switch schools? Do you lose those points or will they still be there if you switch back? Basically I picked Naramon after the quest without knowing anything about the whole thing, and now even though I do love my melee shenanigans I'm not super impressed with the perks (or maybe I just picked the wrong ones).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Focus totals are individual per school, unless they've changed it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Keksen posted:

What happens to your old focus tree when you switch schools? Do you lose those points or will they still be there if you switch back? Basically I picked Naramon after the quest without knowing anything about the whole thing, and now even though I do love my melee shenanigans I'm not super impressed with the perks (or maybe I just picked the wrong ones).

It simply goes dormant. Naramon is super strong on particular frames but much like the only other School worth using, Zenurik, this is contingent on using very specific upgrades and ignoring literally everything else to avoid increasing your cooldown timer too much. You want Shadow Step and Deadly Intent. Nothing else is worth the effort.

In other news Argon Scope on Soma Prime is just wonderful.

Edit: Obviously you also want mastery on Naramon.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like hell it does. Choose Zenurik. Put a lens on Ember. Go do Draco a couple times and run around jumping into crowds and hitting Accelerant while World on Fire does it's thing. Congrats you capped Focus for the day. Now do it two more times and you can already get Energy Overflow to rank 2 out of 3. This alone opens up a host of nonsense possibilities for most of the frames in the game.

Naramon takes a lot of grinding to bring out its potential, but it's a very specialized tree that is only really worth loving with on Valkyr/Excalibur/Ash. The rest of the Focus schools are basically irrelevant right now sadly.

Zenurik is great because it takes almost no time to cap the skills that matter (energy regen, mastery), and it's +4 energy regen forever after you activate it.

However, Vazarin is amazing because it also takes no time to cap the skills that matter (instant revives, mastery), and then every time you activate it you get 4 instant revives. With mastery, you get this every 2 minutes. Super useful for sorties, endurance events, or high level content. Your entire team can go down, and you pick them all up in seconds. Or, you can go down, and the instant revive applies to you too.

Keksen posted:

It just sits there until you activate it again. You keep all the points. Generally, pick a single school to focus on because certain frames are great for farming focus (ember) and lots of things are really bad at farming focus (most frames, weapons).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Orokin Catalyst - Thon Ceres - 1 hour 12 minutes

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I can't really figure out how to boost my focus thing, which I think is Naramon? It's the healing one. I think I've probably screwed myself by putting it in my sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeaaaah uh, sorry to break it to you but you should have put it on a frame that gains affinty from killing lots of stuff through abilities, like Ember, Nova, etc. Weapons earn a pitiful amount compared to frames. Good news is the lenses are sort of common, so ask around.