Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Corek posted:

Whoa these guys mean business, I wonder if Vader will survive :ohdear:

I thought comic books were supposed to make everything look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jerkface posted:

WHats even better about him is that he is part of a secret project by the Emperor to create these rivals for Vader that never show up or are mentioned in the movies despite being pretty big deals, and they were all created inside of a giant space whale flying around on the edge of the galaxy. :krad:

Did you not see the comic he just posted? Clearly they were created inside a beige gradient.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Corek posted:

SMG would have a field day with the especially dumb Karbin, aka "Mon Calamari head plopped onto Grievous body".

Man, good thing the old canon was thrown out. Now we can finally get back to good stories.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Corek posted:

Whoa these guys mean business, I wonder if Vader will survive :ohdear:

Look at these stupid assholes, the only appropriate next frame is for Vader to wave his hand and reduce them all to a fine mist

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

"The Force is obsolete. These are its successors." is such a Tony Stark line

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Has there ever, in the history of forever, been an example of an ensemble arms-crossed 'badass' frame like that which didn't come across as obscenely hilarious or incredibly pathetic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not ensemble, but cross-armed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not quite ensemble, but:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After that RLM video I like to imagine that when Vader is on the bridge taking that pose he's actually asleep.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Him crossing his arms there really bothers me.

:colbert: is not the pose you make after you kill your wife. How about have him look down or something while Palpatine sidegrins like a maniac, the audience is going to get an upper back from the babies in the next scene anyway.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

:colbert: is not the pose you make after you kill your wife. How about have him look down or something while Palpatine sidegrins like a maniac, the audience is going to get an upper back from the babies in the next scene anyway.

Technically, we don't know when they were standing there looking at the Death Star being built! It could have been like, three months later.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrSmokes posted:

Technically, we don't know when they were standing there looking at the Death Star being built! It could have been like, three months later.

Well the next scene is Obi Wan delivering the babies but he does hate flying so who knows, I guess this is a "how long was Luke training on Dagobah" question

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

"The Force is obsolete. These are its successors." is such a Tony Stark line

I hate the way the new characters talk in the new Marvel Star Wars stuff. With the characters from the movies they at least attempt to imitate their voice, although I think they frequently fail, especially with Vader, but any character that they've created themselves talks like any other comic book character, with the same kind of sassy Joss Whedon-esque dialogue that's already become the norm in comic books or they talk like any old comic book villain.

turtlecrunch posted:

Well the next scene is Obi Wan delivering the babies but he does hate flying so who knows, I guess this is a "how long was Luke training on Dagobah" question

The Empire needed at least enough time to paint all their ships grey.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He doesn't have pockets to put his hands in or suspenders to put his thumbs under so that's really the only move he's got.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

I hate the way the new characters talk in the new Marvel Star Wars stuff. With the characters from the movies they at least attempt to imitate their voice, although I think they frequently fail, especially with Vader, but any character that they've created themselves talks like any other comic book character, with the same kind of sassy Joss Whedon-esque dialogue that's already become the norm in comic books or they talk like any old comic book villain.

The Empire needed at least enough time to paint all their ships grey.

Also to ship out all those awesome fascist uniforms.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

:colbert: is not the pose you make after you kill your wife.

Speak for yourself

:colbert:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Do we Even for sure know Vader is Luke's dad? We see padme name her kid Luke, but what if this is just a separate Luke?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Do we Even for sure know Vader is Luke's dad? We see padme name her kid Luke, but what if this is just a separate Luke?

There were actually two Vaders so it all works out

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

We already had that scene. This scene is about showing him fully transitioning into the Vader we know from the OT, the cruel bastard who no longer gives a poo poo about anyone or anything.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also to ship out all those awesome fascist uniforms.

They already had those. This is what Republic Navy officers wore during the Clone Wars.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

We already had that scene. This scene is about showing him fully transitioning into the Vader we know from the OT, the cruel bastard who no longer gives a poo poo about anyone or anything.

They already had those. This is what Republic Navy officers wore during the Clone Wars.

Wow, really? I guess that's the only time in the films that you see republic navy dudes. Unless we do and I totally missed them. We sure see a lot of Naboo navy uniforms, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do like how in the Undercover Boss Starkiller Base SNL sketch, the officer's chest badge thing was just a sheet of lozenges.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow, really? I guess that's the only time in the films that you see republic navy dudes. Unless we do and I totally missed them. We sure see a lot of Naboo navy uniforms, though.

Naw, you don't see them until the very end of Episode III. It's only in TCW that you get a full taste of how incipiently fascist the Republic was becomng throughout the entire war. You even get to see Tarkin back when he was a Republic Naval officer on a meteoric rise through the ranks:

He and Anakin bond over their shared distaste for the Jedi's overly timid war tactics and strike up a minor bromance. Then in a later arc Tarkin starts acting like such an authoritarian rear end in a top hat that even Anakin gets pissed off at him. It sets up a nice foundation for the ambivalent relationship they have with each other in A New Hope.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 31, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

There were also those two space cops that were flying the ship for Quigon and Obiwan in Episode 1.

also Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels cameo in 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rear end Catchcum posted:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Bigger Luke is probably Vader's son, since Vader is so tall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Padme was fairly petite though. They probably combined to make a medium size Luke that we've yet to see.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Padme was fairly petite though. They probably combined to make a medium size Luke that we've yet to see.

A lot of Vader's height comes from being a cyborg anyway, I was just joking.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's good that you clarified that you were joking.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I know, everything else in this thread is serious business.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watching Natalie Portman on the conveyor belt at the end of Episode II is like watching someone playing the final level of Nick Arcade.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Revenge of Frankenstein!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I love the internet. So much hope.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

McDowell posted:

There were also those two space cops that were flying the ship for Quigon and Obiwan in Episode 1.

also Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels cameo in 2.

And their uniforms looked an awful lot like imperial uniforms, except in blue.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So did Anakin just steal C3PO from Uncle Owen at the end of Episode II? What a creep.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

So did Anakin just steal C3PO from Uncle Owen at the end of Episode II? What a creep.

They probably wanted to get rid of him forever but Shmi wouldn't let them, like a tacky art project she wouldn't take off the mantle.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In the script, they actually give 3PO to Padme. To thank her for...I dunno, doing nothing, I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

They probably wanted to get rid of him forever but Shmi wouldn't let them, like a tacky art project she wouldn't take off the mantle.

"Here, there's a state capitols quiz that's been on the refrigerator for like eight years that belongs to you too. And is this hand tracing you made supposed to be a turkey? Christ."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They just wanted to get rid of Creepio without angering him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I always just figured they let him leave with Anakin because, hell, Anakin built him, and he's really Anakin's last connection to his childhood with his mother.

• Locked thread