Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RaspberryCommie posted:

Is it normal that Mekanism Electrolytic Separators take absolutely massive amounts of power to run?

The wiki says they take about 400 joules per tick, which I think should be about 160 RF/t.

However when I hook up three separators my capacitor bank goes from showing a +2k/t increase to about a -1k/t decrease. And that's with Energy Upgrades too.

Yeah, the wiki is out of date. Hydrogen is more costly, so that using it as fuel does not result in an infinite energy loop. It's not a loss either though, it's an even trade. Because of this, you could in theory use hydrogen as energy storage! Most likely you're just going to use it as fuel to power oxygen production, or to fill fuel tanks for a jetpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to set up a tutorial turbine reactor in the BFSR tutorial world, and I'm finding myself struggling to remember what numbers work well. I'm not trying to be perfect here, just pretty good. A rule of thumb I had was that one reactor of XYZ dimensions, cooled with just water, would roughly power 4 turbines each having the same XYZ dimensions--slightly throttled to keep the spinning speed at a multiple of 900rpm.

The demo turbine reactor right now is 7x7x9, with 5 fuel rods in an X. It is cooled just by water. No fancy stuff in there. IIRC for the 7x7x9, I should have at least one layer of enderium blocks. Does that look good?

for turbines, you just need to remember two things:

1) one rotor blade soaks up 25 mB of steam per tick
B) the maximum output of a reactor to a single turbine is 2000 mB per tick

the coil you can make out of whatever, but enderium is the most optimal

here's a sample reactor that is efficient

http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O3C8O3C8O3E4O

11x11 and 1 block tall, outputs 2500 mB of steam per tick, so you can power 1 full sized 80 blade turbine and a secondary 20 blade turbine (if you want)

you can use that reactor planner to screw around with different builds too

also make sure to have the reactor and turbine inlet/outlet ports physically touching each other to provide instant transfer between reactor and turbine

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

5) One of the warp events is now the creeper hiss. I nearly jumped out of my world because of it. Scared the hell out of me.

this just got me too

:supaburn:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

okay so i am doing thaumcraft 5 stuff and it's been improved quite a bit so far, i like that the research minigame isn't about gathering resources from an ever-shrinking pool of scannable objects and is instead about combining a limited pool of aspects with redress if you gently caress up

but man gently caress aqua

is there a better way to deal with aqua in the tc5 research game other than making victus

Thyrork posted:

This'll help your woes.

Is that all the aspects? In TC4 there was Tempestus = Aer + Aqua and it was a good path out of Aqua. Completely useless other than that, but still nice!

Though Mortuus being Aqua + Perditio instead of Victus + Perditio makes that a lot better

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 31, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Is that all the aspects? In TC4 there was Tempestus = Aer + Aqua and it was a good path out of Aqua. Completely useless other than that, but still nice!

Though Mortuus being Aqua + Perditio instead of Victus + Perditio makes that a lot better

Thats 'em all yeah.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is NEI not even updated to 1.8 yet? I see people talking about these weird replacement mods for it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Is NEI not even updated to 1.8 yet? I see people talking about these weird replacement mods for it.

http://chickenbones.net/Pages/links.html claims to have 1.8 versions of NEI, but for whatever reason it isn't in the curse launcher

i am not sure what the deal is

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

No, and it's not looking likely anytime soon. Chickenbones, as far as I've heard, has had stuff going on, keeping him away from modding. Just Enough Items is a replacement for recipe lookup and item spawning (and has lots of mod integration, also a JEIaddons exists) If you want the old f7 light level display, get the Just What I Needed mod. The mouse wheel item movement can be replicated with Mouse Tweaks. The other stuff that NEI did, I don't know of a replacement yet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Serifina posted:

No, and it's not looking likely anytime soon. Chickenbones, as far as I've heard, has had stuff going on, keeping him away from modding. Just Enough Items is a replacement for recipe lookup and item spawning (and has lots of mod integration, also a JEIaddons exists) If you want the old f7 light level display, get the Just What I Needed mod. The mouse wheel item movement can be replicated with Mouse Tweaks. The other stuff that NEI did, I don't know of a replacement yet.

What mod do i install to make JEI not look like hot poo poo?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so, uh, Agrarian Skies 2

the entire - the entire - thermal expansion part of the "make machines to make life easier!" quest branch is gated behind you having enderium and an eye of ender

i mean you can make it in a smeltery, and you get blaze powder from sifting dust, but jesus christ

AS2 is weird in that the end-game stuff from vanilla is the first stuff you get.

The real problem with AS2 is that cool production challenge quests were all yanked out from the first one and replaced with the most half-assed tutorial-type stuff that does a very poor job explaining anything. There's the "for the hoarding" quest line, but it's also really half-assed and only in there because a lot of people requested it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to set up a tutorial turbine reactor in the BFSR tutorial world, and I'm finding myself struggling to remember what numbers work well. I'm not trying to be perfect here, just pretty good. A rule of thumb I had was that one reactor of XYZ dimensions, cooled with just water, would roughly power 4 turbines each having the same XYZ dimensions--slightly throttled to keep the spinning speed at a multiple of 900rpm.

The demo turbine reactor right now is 7x7x9, with 5 fuel rods in an X. It is cooled just by water. No fancy stuff in there. IIRC for the 7x7x9, I should have at least one layer of enderium blocks. Does that look good?

By 'cooled just by water', do you mean water inside the reactor instead of liquid ender or whatever? Because iirc from testing, that's worse than just air. You can use destabilized redstone for a cheaper coolant. Unless that got changed in the year since I did those tests.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

By 'cooled just by water', do you mean water inside the reactor instead of liquid ender or whatever? Because iirc from testing, that's worse than just air. You can use destabilized redstone for a cheaper coolant. Unless that got changed in the year since I did those tests.

No you're right. I was planning to just throw some water in. From way back, I thought that was better than air.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've never quite seen super slow turbines before. I filled the top level of the steam reactor with liquid ender, made all the connections, and let it go. It is only producing 200.0 mb/tick of steam. It's just stuck there. According to the Big Reactor simulator, I should be producing, like, 60 times that amount. It's full of water and steam. What?

Edit: I figured out that I had my tesseracts reversed. Everything picked up very quickly. I have probably been wrong about the whole water thing ever since I started doing Big Reactors. This liquid ender one is pushing the turbines hard. My rule-of-thumb of one XYZ reactor controlling 4 XYZ turbines is wrong. In reality, this thing could pull 8 turbines, from what I can tell. I had to reduce the flow rate in half to stabilize around 1800rpm.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 1, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've never quite seen super slow turbines before. I filled the top level of the steam reactor with liquid ender, made all the connections, and let it go. It is only producing 200.0 mb/tick of steam. It's just stuck there. According to the Big Reactor simulator, I should be producing, like, 60 times that amount. It's full of water and steam. What?

Edit: I figured out that I had my tesseracts reversed. Everything picked up very quickly. I have probably been wrong about the whole water thing ever since I started doing Big Reactors. This liquid ender one is pushing the turbines hard. My rule-of-thumb of one XYZ reactor controlling 4 XYZ turbines is wrong. In reality, this thing could pull 8 turbines, from what I can tell. I had to reduce the flow rate in half to stabilize around 1800rpm.

Since turbines don't have overspeed failure yet, you could keep the flow rate near 2000mB/t and have the turbine spin at 3600 rpm for quite a bit more power. Or double the coil blocks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

Since turbines don't have overspeed failure yet, you could keep the flow rate near 2000mB/t and have the turbine spin at 3600 rpm for quite a bit more power. Or double the coil blocks.

I had pondered just going overspeed, but I'm afraid what will happen when e-beef finally implements overspeed failures. Since I'm doing this for a tutorial modpack, I'd be perpetuating a potential bad habit.

As it stands, my turbine working area already has 2 rows of enderium around the turbine shaft. Would doubling it be a straightforward way to double conversion? Furthermore, the inside area is 5x5, and I only have the coils taking up 3x3 of the space. Can I slap down more enderium around the outside and get an effect?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Volatile Penguin posted:

Sounds like Openblocks Elevators to me. Jumping while standing on it takes you to the next one above it, and sneaking takes you to the next one below.

Also there are rotating elevators (TPPI2)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had pondered just going overspeed, but I'm afraid what will happen when e-beef finally implements overspeed failures. Since I'm doing this for a tutorial modpack, I'd be perpetuating a potential bad habit.

As it stands, my turbine working area already has 2 rows of enderium around the turbine shaft. Would doubling it be a straightforward way to double conversion? Furthermore, the inside area is 5x5, and I only have the coils taking up 3x3 of the space. Can I slap down more enderium around the outside and get an effect?

For the best turbine you need 17 high, 3.5 rows of Ludicrite round the shaft

thats 3 full rows + 5 extra blocks on the 4th

80 blades = 10 rows of blades

internal 15 rows, external = 17

thats internal 5x5 with the ludicrite only 3x3

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 1, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

For the best turbine you need 17 high, 3.5 rows of Ludicrite round the shaft

thats 3 full rows + 5 extra blocks on the 4th

80 blades = 10 rows of blades

internal 15 rows, external = 17

thats internal 5x5 with the ludicrite only 3x3

Aren't you still constrained with how much steam can go into the turbine at once?

I've just figured out how ignorant I've been about Big Reactors overall. I built 5 more 5x5x8 turbines. They wound up over 1800rpm with no change on the system. This thing is just eating up turbines. I'll leave a strong impression on anybody seeing it in the tutorial world once I figure out what the hell I'm doing. I have been monkeying with this while the replies have come in, so it sounds like I need to put more enderium blocks on the coils, or something.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aren't you still constrained with how much steam can go into the turbine at once?

I've just figured out how ignorant I've been about Big Reactors overall. I built 5 more 5x5x8 turbines. They wound up over 1800rpm with no change on the system. This thing is just eating up turbines. I'll leave a strong impression on anybody seeing it in the tutorial world once I figure out what the hell I'm doing. I have been monkeying with this while the replies have come in, so it sounds like I need to put more enderium blocks on the coils, or something.

Well you connect from reactor straight to turbine with no pipes and it runs at the right speed with a bit of adjustment (1800 rpm)

Reactor #=case O=Controller A=Access Port F=Fluid/Steam port R = Fuel Rod C = control rod *=fluid ender
code:
#######
#######
#######
#######
#######

#######
#*****#
A*RRR*#
O*RRR*#
F*RRR*#
#*****#
#######

#######
#F#####
##CCC##
##CCC##
##CCC##
#####F#
#######
Then you have the turbine directly on top (just showing the bottom row here
#=turbine case F=steamports
You just match up the fluid/steam ports Red to Red blue to blue

code:
#######
#F#####
#######
#######
#######
#####F#
#######
The 7x7x3 reactor will safely run 1 turbine at 1800 but to run 2 you would need to make it a 7x7x4

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 1, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's been a while since I played around with them, but IIRC you need multiple inputs to the turbine branching off of the output of the reactor. 200mB/t sounds low, but it depends on which mod's pipes you're using. I think EnderIO had the best one, the upgraded pressure conduit, which handled 400mB/t

For whatever reason the output has unlimited throughput, but you'll need 5 inputs to the turbine in order to get the full 2kmB/t using EnderIO pipes. You'll need an additional output on the turbine and 5 inputs on the reactor in order to make it a closed loop as well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Right now, I'm using tesseracts. Does that nullify a lot of the logistic problems?

The 200mB issue had more to do with me not setting the inputs and outputs correctly. I seem to do that the first time I use tesseracts in some time.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nullify and is recommended because most piping systems don't have the sheer throughput to handle 2000 mb/tick necessary for BigReactor turbines.

I've done the same thing, Rocko. Eventually you just hit on the correct tesseract combinations and the second turbine goes a lot smoother.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fruit Chewy posted:

So are there any decent 1.8 packs that don't require the technic launcher? Technic doesn't draw right in any GNOME environment it seems which is just super rad. It's almost enough to make me want to write a CLI utility to download their packs if that's even possible.

Might be an issue with your setup. Technic Launcher works fine on Cinnamon (a GNOME fork for Linux Mint) on all of my computers.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

you don't even need to use tessaracts for turbines, just make the inlet and outlet ports of each turbine touch a corresponding pair on the reactor physically

then make one more inlet port on the reactor, hook it up to an aqueous accumulator, and call it a day

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Macaluso posted:

So I got a computer that can handle graphical mods now, what is the best way to get a look like The Witness but in minecraft with the bloom and the shadows and pretty water and such. Texture pack I'd probably just go Sphax. Also I have not played Minecraft in literally years

You can use the instructions ("Installation section") from Sildur's Shaders. There's also Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (SEUS), which are very popular, but I couldn't get working on my machines. Granted, I then moved on to Sildur's and got his working, so I may have just done something stupid on the SEUS ones that I did correctly on Sildur's. :) Certainly makes the world look beautiful and alive.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Glory of Arioch posted:

you don't even need to use tessaracts for turbines, just make the inlet and outlet ports of each turbine touch a corresponding pair on the reactor physically

then make one more inlet port on the reactor, hook it up to an aqueous accumulator, and call it a day

I assume you use the accumulator just for the initial filling with water before you turn the reactor on, correct? Because if the water and steam reservoirs both get filled completely, steam production goes way, way down.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Right now, I'm using tesseracts. Does that nullify a lot of the logistic problems?

The 200mB issue had more to do with me not setting the inputs and outputs correctly. I seem to do that the first time I use tesseracts in some time.

I didn't use tesseracts, but I assume they work. I just prefer to have a mess of pipes and wire running around my bases because it looks cooler to me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Be warned, for those playing Banished, the world does not have bedrock at the bottom, just a layer of extremely hard stone. The portable red hole from Aura Cascade will blow through this, losing itself to the void. The good news is that when I fell into the void, I was teleported to my bed instead of dying.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Just started playing this again with babys first space race and a few friends. Its seems by default you don't lose items on death, is there a way to turn that off? Takes a lot of the tension of dying out, ruining the experience

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Feral Integral posted:

Just started playing this again with babys first space race and a few friends. Its seems by default you don't lose items on death, is there a way to turn that off? Takes a lot of the tension of dying out, ruining the experience

Assuming your post is serious, you should be able to change that by turning cheats on and doing /gamerule KeepInventory false. Isn't that a bit ironic, though? The whole point of 'babys first spacerace' is to make it a newbie friendly experience. Dropping your items on death is not newbie friendly. And you're the first person I've seen who prefers it that way. The first thing I do for singleplayer modpacks is to turn keep inventory on.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Ambaire posted:

Assuming your post is serious, you should be able to change that by turning cheats on and doing /gamerule KeepInventory false. Isn't that a bit ironic, though? The whole point of 'babys first spacerace' is to make it a newbie friendly experience. Dropping your items on death is not newbie friendly. And you're the first person I've seen who prefers it that way.

Cause it's nice to have the speedy game without all the grind, but still be able to explore dungeons/nether with a little to lose. Don't really get why your so suprised, isnt a bit of challenge nice?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Dropping your items on death is not newbie friendly. And you're the first person I've seen who prefers it that way.

It's the only way to play

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Feral Integral posted:

Cause it's nice to have the speedy game without all the grind, but still be able to explore dungeons/nether with a little to lose. Don't really get why your so suprised, isnt a bit of challenge nice?

Nah it is a surprise. Even the experts I know that like it prefer it on. It is just a big Skinner Box to them.

Anyways, I cannot remember for sure, but cheats may be on by default, so keepInventory should be touchable. However, I think OpenBlocks graves will take over after that. If you want your stuff to fling around on the ground, you will have to shut that off too.

Edit: Also while you're at it, you might go nibble on the infernal mobs config. I had disabled some of the stats I considered to be obnoxious, so it should be pretty safe to bump the spawn chances overall for a few shenanigans.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 2, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

thaumcraft 5 trip report: the air-transfer essentia devices are loving amazing

the emptying essentia transfer transforms the thaumatorium from TC4's "fiddly, broken bullshit that only barely works" to "absolutely essential for playing the mod"

also the filler one is a nice replacement for alchemy golems

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also i found a hungry node, was happy, then i read the page about them in the thaumonomicon

:smithfrog:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

also i found a hungry node, was happy, then i read the page about them in the thaumonomicon

If you can stabilize a hungry node they still seem like they could be useful, if nodes work how I think they do. Feed a hungry node aura until it grows huge, then stabilize it and move it to your base. Nodes don't permanently deplete when they refill the aura, right? So, you can use the temporary vis floating around to create a permanent source of the same.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Glory of Arioch posted:

Does this mean no more open crate feeding a million crafting tables to a hungry node?

A few interesting things I discovered regarding hungry nodes and turning them into centivis on the Disasterpiece Theater 1.7.10 server:
(1) even as it breaks the stabilizers, if you replace them quickly, no stabilizer progress seems to be lost
(2) a Botania magnet ring is stronger than the hungry node pull, which means you just need two each of the top and bottom pieces. Node breaks one, replace it and pick up the other. Repeat.
(3) For a hungry node with sufficient starting vis (1600+), it will convert to centivis before the aspects completely drain. I think they drained to about 800 before it converted.
(4) Oh, and Blood Magic transposer can teleport a hungry node anywhere you like. Use an upgraded one and put a block of obsidian between the transposer and the node so it doesn't eat the teleporter.
(5) If you're standing on a solid surface, you can slowly move away from the hungry node. Especially if you have a roof. The hungry node only does damage to you if it can toss you above itself so you can actually stand 'in' the node without taking damage. This might be incorrect since I was wearing ProjectE gem armor at the time and I based 'taking damage' on hearing the damage sound.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been watching my son play more of his TC5.

He found some device that looks like a turret, but instead it pulls nodes towards it.

So about 25 minutes later he has this massive clusterfuck of spawned mobs and nodes that he is oblitorating with the primal focus. Good thing you cant destroy nodes now by punching them?

He needs a wand with more storage though. Doesnt quite grasp that the wand is using charge and recharges slowly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

If you can stabilize a hungry node they still seem like they could be useful, if nodes work how I think they do. Feed a hungry node aura until it grows huge, then stabilize it and move it to your base. Nodes don't permanently deplete when they refill the aura, right? So, you can use the temporary vis floating around to create a permanent source of the same.

i don't think they work the same way as they did in TC4

i tested dumping some random junk from my inventory at the hungry node and stood close to it, but the items were not eaten and I was not being sucked in

the only thing i can think of is maybe using it as a flux dump but i don't know if that works or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

i don't think they work the same way as they did in TC4

i tested dumping some random junk from my inventory at the hungry node and stood close to it, but the items were not eaten and I was not being sucked in

the only thing i can think of is maybe using it as a flux dump but i don't know if that works or not

Using it as a flux dump is probably the best way to use one, if you can't convert a hungry node to a different type. The main problem with doing that, however, is that the hungry node will suck in aura of every type. Sure, you can send flux to one, but won't you also be passively letting it suck up other types of aura? I guess that isn't a problem if there are infinite sources of aura and you can just keep up with the node's consumption or keep other aura types away from it.