Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Justin Tyme posted:

The shock grenade works by causing severe graphical glitches and memory leaks when detonated, thereby shocking someone who may have spent 5 figures into questioning whether it was all worth it

This is my favorite post in this whole thread. Sorry :pgabz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Madcosby posted:

holy poo poo this guy had a bad experience with pvp growing up

it's like when you drive by your old childhood home, and then one day you get the nerve and walk up and knock on the door. and the new owners open up and invite you in, but there's 5 gankers hiding behind the front entrance, next thing you know youre trapped inside the closet while they're ordering pizza with your stolen credit card. suddenly gas starts filling the closet, but it's actually a vaccuum cleaner turned to reverse, and the closet is all dusty and you feel like you have allergies

This is so much like Derek's earlier analogy for these forums I had to laugh.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Star Citzen: That needs to stop immediately.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Isn't there a 40k PS2 thing coming down the pipe?

Also a 40k space sim would be fairly interesting. What kind of stats do you give to a floating cathedral? How does it stack up against a floating ball of derelict transport ships?

Does it have a mixmaster?

Do not care as long as I can ram things with me space hulk.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Do not care as long as I can ram things with me space hulk.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363680/

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Goobs posted:

I'm doing a grot themed army, including some FW stuff like grot tanks, an rear end-ton of mek gunz, an ork themed aegis defence line, etc. I also have a Stompa I'm working on.....I love the Ork fluff. Excited for Battlefleet Gothic and Total War:Warhammer this year hnggggg. WAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

http://postimage.org/

i had an ork army once and it drat near bankrupted me. I briefly considered doing a grot army, they used to be like 3 points each but still cost plenty. you'd need hundreds of them for an army.

welp, godspeed!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Well I'll be gosh darned.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

is tomorrow the chris roberts video? I can't wait to see what happens

it is. Based on things EightAce has said it seems like he's completely oblivious/indifferent to the fallout at this point, but I can't help but cross my fingers for another clumsy attempt to save face.

My guess is that it will only draw his attention when it starts effecting the bottom line or if an article from a known publication starts talking about it.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

This one goes out to you Chris and Sandi.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nice, this makes me happy.

More than Cigs, shitlording gently caress up of a game.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Oh dont get me started, I love Orks, best race ever and fun army to play, all they need is a half decent codex. Would be playing them now if not for money constraints.

Really wish we had a 40k space sim rather this shite cig are half arsing.

Eternal Crusade - WHEN IT WAS ANNOUNCED - was basically what Star Citizen set out to do. You'd have your own chapter (clan) assault cruiser or whatever race you were's capital ship, you'd fly around to different planets just wrecking poo poo and fighting against the other races (At launch they were going to have Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks, Eldar). Once in a while when a chapter or clan held a planet too long (Certain planets had certain resources etc) the tyranids would show up and you'd have to kick rear end starship troopers style to defend against the swarm.

Eternal Crusade as it is now, is basically a more sluggish version of Space Marine with just as sluggish online fighting. While it being sad, at least Behavioral knew that they couldnt pull it off and altered the scope...you know, instead of plugging ahead like CR did.

Dusty Lens posted:

Well I'll be gosh darned.

So hyped for this game you don't even know.

Gilganixon posted:

i had an ork army once and it drat near bankrupted me. I briefly considered doing a grot army, they used to be like 3 points each but still cost plenty. you'd need hundreds of them for an army.

welp, godspeed!

The new codex makes it easier, they have mek gunz crewed by like 5 grots now and you can have 5 of them in 1 heavy support choice so it's basically a grot artillery battery, you can even shoot bubbles out of them...the randomness of AP and Strength make its hilarious (sometimes sad).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

predictions on what gets walked back next?

my feeling is either they start 'redefining' what the PvP slider is and how it works, or they just start dropping multiplayer components all together

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it is. Based on things EightAce has said it seems like he's completely oblivious/indifferent to the fallout at this point, but I can't help but cross my fingers for another clumsy attempt to save face.

My guess is that it will only draw his attention when it starts effecting the bottom line or if an article from a known publication starts talking about it.

I'm putting space bucks on him not even acknowledging the Star Marine thing, and introducing some really dumb bullshit that makes no sense

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

dear lord, lol the star marine in the urn

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Justin Tyme posted:

someone get this man an SA account

Sadly everytime I see his forum name my brain assembles DragonCock.

Guess I've been assimilated in the Stimpire.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sigh, what could of been. You cant go to wrong with orkz tbh.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

alf_pogs posted:

my feeling is either they start 'redefining' what the PvP slider is and how it works, or they just start dropping multiplayer components all together

is the pvp slider an actual thing that croberts promised? I assumed it was just some carebear headcanon from the more fragile citizens.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm putting space bucks on him not even acknowledging the Star Marine thing, and introducing some really dumb bullshit that makes no sense

EightAce mentioned that they're preparing to show something completely unnecessary to the game, probably procedural animals. So I think they'll have that excuse for not mentioning star citizen

whats weird is that even if they show procedural animals, i dont expect it to ever go live. I mean, they showed moon landings, didnt they? where's that?

Gilganixon posted:

is the pvp slider an actual thing that croberts promised? I assumed it was just some carebear headcanon from the more fragile citizens.

it was promised by Roberts, i think during the kickstarter era

what it actually does though, is entirely in dream stage

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Gilganixon posted:

It will be part of multi-crew. One of the player positions in all ships will be dedicated to sliding this left and right on the assigned screen in the ship.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The more I think about it, the more I realize how right Gary Oldman was to describe Lord St. Christ of Roberts as "A George Lucas type". They're both high-functioning autists who can't be trusted with any form of managerial power.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I like the reply one guy gave to when told "you don't know software development" in another thread- more or less, he is an engineer for Intel and helped build their enterprise/supercomputer processors, and $100 million was just loose change down the back of a couch compared to what they were spending

edit: oh, that's him there ^^^^ tommy noble :)

TommyNoble is great:

quote:

This revisionist history has got to stop. I honestly believe you just don't know what has been said by CIG in official communications, so no hard feelings. But let me break it down for you:

March 2015: Pax East: CR says Star Marine will be available in 3 weeks time. We've all seen the slide:

Then they reinforce the dates. It's about a pattern of behavior. Like this:

We all know the dates are subject to change. But they just kept reinforcing timeframes which implies confidence.

June 30th: Letter from the Chairman CR announces Star Marine will be delayed. Although he says "we're not sure when it'll be ready," I've bolded the parts that are at variance with what he said in his latest 10ftc:

"When will we see Star Marine? Tonight, I don’t have an absolute answer for you. What I will tell you is that we know exactly what we have to do, and we’re already well on our way to doing it. With allocation of additional resources and increased cross-studio focus on the FPS portion of the game we are on our way… we’re just not there quite yet. [...]

We ended the 2012 pledge campaign with ‘The Pledge,’ in which I outlined our new company’s goals to be open about our process. Today, I want to rededicate ourselves to this: I can’t promise you we’ll meet every internal deadline or that every decision we make is something you’ll agree with. There will be challenges that we struggle to overcome, and we will never be able to predict all of these with certainty…but I can promise you we will keep you informed and that we will not stop working until the game is done right."

It would have been far more accurate for him to say "We promise we will not meet any deadlines, and we will be very open with you as long as it's not bad news."

July 2015: Some thoughts on concerns Ben addresses the community concerns: "I will say that we are talking about a delay of weeks and not months/years/decades."

August 2015: Gamescom Chris Roberts says Star Marine will be available at the end of September 2015

October 30th: Focus shifts to Alpha PU, but expect more updates about Star Marine: "Work continues on Star Marine proper as well, although the priority is getting Alpha 2.0 (which jumps ahead and introduces FPS gameplay to the persistent universe) ready for launch. To that end, we’re focusing on Star Marine-related tasks that will impact both planned releases, and we are broadening our weekly update to focus more on the task at hand. Expect to hear more about Star Marine proper after 2.0 is released, but know that much of the FPS work happening right now will apply to both releases. "

Then we get 3 months of Radio silence apart from one or two unofficial "soons" and "2.1 or 2.2? fingers crossed"'s.

Cut to Chris Roberts telling us that he's annoyed that people expect him to do what he categorically, repeatedly said he was going to do, on the record.

I doubt CIG as a whole intended to misdirect us. But it doesn't matter. What matters is credibility, especially when your entire business model is founded on credibility and faith.

And again, you don't have to feel upset by any of this. But don't cut and slice the information so as to re-enforce CIG's systemic deception of their customer base.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

i don't think the brain that imagines the fourth stimpire has the capacity to imagine something as consent-dependent as the pvp slider

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Gonkish posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize how right Gary Oldman was to describe Lord St. Christ of Roberts as "A George Lucas type". They're both high-functioning autists who can't be trusted with any form of managerial power.

lmao, comparing a failed game developer to an international media magnate because you don't like the latter's products.

Show me on the doll where the Phantom Menace touched you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so on PVP sliders, if I'm a passenger in a ship and I'm the turret gunner and I'm at PVP set to MAXIMUM and the pilots is set to DONT' HURT EM HAMMER then uh
like any amount of thinking regarding this slider is just like, it doesnt' make any sense

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

couldn't you just have sections of space where hurting each other is "outlawed" and you get clawed up by NPCs and/or a bounty put on your head if you do it? you know like in literally every other multiplayer space game

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

AugmentedVision posted:

lmao, comparing a failed game developer to an international media magnate because you don't like the latter's products.

Show me on the doll where the Phantom Menace touched you.

My heart. It crushed my heart.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so on PVP sliders, if I'm a passenger in a ship and I'm the turret gunner and I'm at PVP set to MAXIMUM and the pilots is set to DONT' HURT EM HAMMER then uh
like any amount of thinking regarding this slider is just like, it doesnt' make any sense

the only way i can imagine something like this working is like dark souls 2 - which is really nothing like a "slider".

in dark souls 2 you can equip the 'red string' ring, that increases the likelihood that you will be be able to make contact with or be invaded by another player. you can also set a small group of people to choose from with another ring, which acts as a filter and increases the likelihood that you'll pair up with a friend.

i can only imagine a pvp 'slider' having three options: off, uncommon contact with other players, and common contact with other players.

let alone none of that makes any sense at all if you're in a persistent universe with the other players the whole time. like, it makes zero sense on any level.

edit: yeah having outlaw / unrestricted space is by far the most sensible idea but i guess that's just not creative enough for roberts and his mighty space brain

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43icr0/custom_starcitizen_control_panel/

e: I'm the toggle switches tied to momentary button functions.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
whatever happened to the guy with the space ship living room still my favorite

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

alf_pogs posted:

the disappointing thing is that star marine was really the last thing they ever gave a solid release date for, so whatever "pipeline rearrangements" occur after this are unlikely to make as big a splash, and also will probably only even mentioned through Jared slipping up.

Although one other minor promise will be broken in a few hours: the Starfarer was supposed to be hangar ready in January.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

I Greyhound posted:

e: I'm the toggle switches tied to momentary button functions.
I'm the buttons tied to toggle functions.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

lol That pic reminds me of all the threads of joystick spergs flipping their poo poo over mouse and keyboard users in Arena Commander.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

AugmentedVision posted:

I'm the buttons tied to toggle functions.

im the amazing wave of creativity, hard work and complete and total incompetence that this horrible piece of vaporware has inspired

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6313227/#Comment_6313227

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6313233/#Comment_6313233

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6313236/#Comment_6313236

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6313288/#Comment_6313288

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The funniest thing to me is how there were people out there who honestly and earnestly thought Star Marine was going to come in like 2.1 or was just around the corner or something, like imagine believing it was coming in a week or two based off some off-the-cuff remark on the forums.

:psyduck: this was... exactly... what star marine... was going to be??????????????????????????????????????? :psyduck::psyduck:
:psyduck:

:gary:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 1, 2016

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Bluestreak, did you seriously compare the release of Star Citizen to giving birth to your daughter?

Is the sounds of a kid on your guy's end, or Sandi's?
[11:57]
[33:12]
[40:21]

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Justin Tyme posted:

The funniest thing to me is how there were people out there who honestly and earnestly thought Star Marine was going to come in like 2.1 or was just around the corner or something, like imagine believing it was coming in a week or two based off some off-the-cuff remark on the forums.

:psyduck: this was... exactly... what star marine... was going to be??????????????????????????????????????? :psyduck::psyduck:

:gary:

I'm pretty sure that dude will be one of the first star citizen related suicides when poo poo goes down.

He seems incredibly passionate about someone else's dream

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6313976/#Comment_6313976

ever had a friend who's in an abusive relationship and still hasn't realized it?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Will there ever be a promised-game like this again, that brings so many weirdos into its orbit and gives us a view into the minds of people who never quite got past their tweens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

star citizen: lets just wait around until everything we wanted is complete before saying anything like a bunch of lifeless waiting robots

• Locked thread