Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

splifyphus posted:

you just wrote a multiparagraph diatribe at a teenager, bre. busy guy like you should value his free time.

by posting about xcom 2 for instance.

who likes xcom? i like xcom.

its a sunday night and i'm drinking

you do regrettable things when you're drinking

Pwnstar posted:

The ending of the game after you've kicked all the aliens off the planet is Bradford saying "Commander... we're back" as he puts the sweater back on.

he gets it by kicking a nearby soldier who's wearing a clone of it

i'm pretty sure that that's part of the resistance fighter pack actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Junpei, I was like you once. Full of self-proclaimed fantastic ideas and only needing people to turn my dreams into reality.

I was in high school when I first tried recruiting for a project as an ideas guy. I got laughed out of the forum and thankfully, one of the people there imparted wisdom to me. He said that it's never enough to be an ideas guy, especially when you don't have any proof that you can deliver. You have to work toward it. Draw characters, do simple coding, show people that you're willing to work but know you don't have every necessary skillset.

This doesn't mean make a lovely game with a ton of placeholder art; it means make the most of your abilities on your own and if people can perceive your ability and drive, they will follow. You're never too young to learn and never too old to begin. The only person who is going to stop you from making it a reality is yourself. Look at it in the same way as someone trying to lose weight. You need to overcome the haters. You need to fight against the part of you that doesn't want to work hard. You need to be ready to struggle. People don't just stumble into a perfect game concept or team. Indie dev is in one of the best places ever right now, you have loads of free tools, free tutorials, and post-mortem reports. Grab ahold of your future and make it into whatever you can dream of. It's cliche, but what ARE you waiting for? Tomorrow becomes next week, which becomes next month, which becomes next year, which becomes never because you don't have the lack of responsibility to take risks anymore.

Again, thank you all, bless your hearts, but I think we should end this derail soon.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

wasn't it, like, a cardigan

I mean we might as well get the details right
A Cardigan is a button up sweater, Central Officer Bradford's sweater did not have buttons. :goonsay:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bradford wouldn't be a baby but your teenage baby sitter who does sweet skate tricks.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Project Avatar is actually the Etherals researching the best way to pull off Bradford's look.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PBS Newshour posted:

Bradford wouldn't be a baby but your teenage baby sitter who does sweet skate tricks.

And goes "Totally gnarly, bros!"?
What about Tygan and Lily?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

And goes "Totally gnarly, bros!"?

No that is stupid, Bradford would never do that. Sorry about this truth bomb, but that idea is totally bad and wrong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PBS Newshour posted:

No that is stupid, Bradford would never do that. Sorry about this truth bomb, but that idea is totally bad and wrong.

Hahahahaha
Joke, man. I was joking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LionYeti posted:

A Cardigan is a button up sweater, Central Officer Bradford's sweater did not have buttons. :goonsay:

well that's why i'm not on this video game design team, obv

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

Please don't use truthbombs unironically

THIS IS ETERNITY
THIS IS THE TRUTH
THIS THREAD IS HELL AND COOLGUYE IS THE DEVIL

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Besides, we all know the key to stopping the Avatar Project is going to be talking Vahlen into coming back to X-COM.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Cythereal posted:

Besides, we all know the key to stopping the Avatar Project is going to be talking Vahlen into coming back to X-COM.

Oh, that reminds me
Shen (old Shen, that is, not Lily) looked about 60, 70 tops, and taking into account the 20 time skip, he was 80-90 when he died, right? Just checking my math.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Uncle Jam posted:

When does this poo poo preload? Its going to take 5 days to download.

Same :smith:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Coolguye posted:

This just proves you weren't interested in the answer to begin with, dude. You are competing against some serious players to even get a single brain cycle out of my head. You got more than a few of them in my answer to you, which is honestly a lot more than anyone else in either of your threads has given you. Have you never had a coach in, like, anything? They don't yell at you because they hate you, they yell at you because they know you can do better. If they ignore you, that's the really bad poo poo.

If I were in a bad mood, you would've gotten another no-effort shitpost, or nothing at all. And you'd continue to waddle around not knowing anything.

Or we can do it like this, where you get truthbombs dropped on you and you don't absorb a single thing. We could do that too. Whatever, by tomorrow I'll be too busy to do anything but laugh at you again.

Wow.

Edit: I'm not going to try and pretend to be a high speed creative smart guy, but maybe someone can point the kid in the right direction of a beginners coding YouTube series rather than spewing a couple of ranty paragraphs at him.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2016

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

meltdowns vs. middle schoolers. you've done good work, junpei.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
XCOM 2

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2022

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

splifyphus posted:

fair enough.

I *think* there's a review embargo ending Monday morning, and that's when people can start streaming their review builds. Drawing a blank on where I read that though. I do know that all the preview copies are deactivated right now.

Well there goes all the free time I didn't have between Monday and Friday.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Won't even be able to do anything on the internet during that time. RIP my grocery store blog :(

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I tried to wait for this game to drop but I couldn't do it. I picked up Darkest Dungeon last week and I'm liking it. Now I'm going to have to somehow find time for it while I'm playing the hell out of XCom 2. As a kid I always assumed my toughest decisions as an adult would involve work or taxes but here we are.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I think Bradford mentions that he misses the old sweater in a couple of throw-away lines on the Avenger.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Boy we're all gonna look stupid when the game comes out and the sex appeal of Vipers isn't even a major plot point or anything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Colapops posted:

meltdowns vs. middle schoolers. you've done good work, junpei.

ahahah

Chiwie posted:

Wow.

Edit: I'm not going to try and pretend to be a high speed creative smart guy, but maybe someone can point the kid in the right direction of a beginners coding YouTube series rather than spewing a couple of ranty paragraphs at him.

have you read like anything he has ever posted?

that is going to go over about as well as what i did.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
show your creative talents by writing xcom fan fiction

How easy is it to modify the soldier name pool in xcom2?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I am betting that within six months of release, somebody will have modded Bradfords sweater into a an exosuit as a playable character.

busb posted:

show your creative talents by writing xcom fan fiction

Bradfords sweater gently caresses Shen by the ears...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

busb posted:

How easy is it to modify the soldier name pool in xcom2?

From what I understand it's just a flat text file the same way it was in EU

so, basically trivial.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Coolguye posted:

i'm pretty sure that that's part of the resistance fighter pack actually

There's at least a top that's the sweater with a body armor vest over it, so the sweater lives on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Coolguye posted:

From what I understand it's just a flat text file the same way it was in EU

so, basically trivial.

So, from what I know, it's a list of names divided into categories by country, gender and first/last name.
So if I found the "Japanese" "Male" and "First Name" categories that I would put Junpei, Akihiko, Minato, Shinjiro, Yosuke, Kanji and Naoto into?

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
why on earth would you want yosuke in your game? sheesh!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Oh god, I wonder how hard it will be to add a new country, because suddenly I'm getting the idea XCOM 2 could be a bridge for all the Paradox mega-LPs to hit Stellaris.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sky Shadowing posted:

Oh god, I wonder how hard it will be to add a new country, because suddenly I'm getting the idea XCOM 2 could be a bridge for all the Paradox mega-LPs to hit Stellaris.

Probably just a name list for possible regions. What I'd want to know is how hard it is to redraw borders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

X-com Kings. Take Long War and make it longer by merging it with Crusader Kings and making the fight against the alien overlords last literal centuries as you play generations upon generations of commanders. Commanders can be born with traits that improve or hinder their ability to control troops on the field: Perhaps your commander will be a pacifist and you'll have to complete missions without ever firing a weapon, or perhaps he/she'll simply be born insane and order your soldiers to attack each other because they are all secretly faceless oh god!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

look, junpei is the kind of person whose parents have never told him the word "no" and he is going to parse exactly 0% of what you had posted

just treat him like a Special Boy and be on your merry way

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got around to playing through Enemy Within and just got to the end of Exalt. Pity I still have absolutely no idea who the gently caress they were apart from Evil XCOM with nice decorators.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want a Faceless to infiltrate the Avenger during a recruitment drive and you suddenly have a monster attacking your staff on the ant-farm.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Another thing to get excited about that I don't think got enough attention the first time around: one of the heavy weapons the exo suit can mount is basically a flak shotgun.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

look, junpei is the kind of person whose parents have never told him the word "no" and he is going to parse exactly 0% of what you had posted

just treat him like a Special Boy and be on your merry way

Actually, I am going to learn to code. So take that, Cristo wannabe!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Cheston posted:

Another thing to get excited about that I don't think got enough attention the first time around: one of the heavy weapons the exo suit can mount is basically a flak shotgun.

It destroys cover in its area, too. It looks really fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Junpei posted:

Actually, I am going to learn to code. So take that, Cristo wannabe!

i look forward to seeing your hello world on github

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Things I want to mod in:
Medi-grenade (heals all allies in blast radius)
Chain Grenade (prevents enemies from moving)
Thunder Rounds (+1 damage, stuns organic enemies and disables mechanical ones)