Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm kinda digging the little announcer voice for the mecha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Being red-centric isn't an issue if the show is written well, Kyoryuger keeps getting brought up because it straight up said "Daigo has no flaws or weaknesses and is the best ever" and it was still really good. He also came off as a far better character than Takaharu on top of that.

It helps that Daigo's actor had any sort of acting ability.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It can't be more Red-centric than Ninninger, at least.

We know it has four more characters, being more Red-centric than Ninninger would require the Red being the only member of the Sentai.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Being red-centric isn't an issue if the show is written well, Kyoryuger keeps getting brought up because it straight up said "Daigo has no flaws or weaknesses and is the best ever" and it was still really good. He also came off as a far better character than Takaharu on top of that.

That's why I only commented on how it is gonna be red-centric and not the quality. Like, I'm sure that they aren't gonna lean heavily on that theme for every future sentai show, but this ain't gonna be the one to break that streak.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

The writing is on the wall, man. The last few shows have been more and more red-centric, and this time red is the special one as part of the basic premise.

shinkenger was red centric as gently caress

it owns hard

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's why I only commented on how it is gonna be red-centric and not the quality. Like, I'm sure that they aren't gonna lean heavily on that theme for every future sentai show, but this ain't gonna be the one to break that streak.

there's no way "if you really like red rangers it'll be good!" could possibly be construed as "it's going to focus on the red and thus be bad"

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So is this it, is that abortion of a sentai finally over? Or does it still limp along for another two episodes until something better comes along?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So is this it, is that abortion of a sentai finally over? Or does it still limp along for another two episodes until something better comes along?

Ninninger has one more episode left.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Ninninger has one more episode left.
I mean it has two if you wait on subs, but why would you wait on subs when the only thing theoretically worth caring about with Ninninger is the fight scenes?

Even ToQger, which I will never watch all the way through because I hate the core team, had a really loving cool villain in Zed.

I would watch the poo poo out of a Villains edit of ToQger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 1, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean it has two if you wait on subs, but why would you wait on subs when the only thing theoretically worth caring about with Ninninger is the fight scenes?

Even ToQger, which I will never watch all the way through because I hate the core team, had a really loving cool villain in Zed.

I would watch the poo poo out of a Villains edit of ToQger.

it's okay the subs are out.

It's loving awful.

I'm glad I had no hopes because the best moment in the series was the time that Dadninger transformed and nothing else will match it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Literally The Worst posted:

shinkenger was red centric as gently caress

it owns hard

Shinkenger works because despite being red-centric it has That Huge Twist... which kind of means it was only pretending to be red centric? Shinkenred earned his specialness whereas akaninger was special period, no twists, no struggle, nothing, so far as I can tell since I never even got to episode 10.

It's an interesteing comparison. Ninninger I think kind of wanted to be Shinkenger at least in high concept. It had five characters who had been in lifelong training, the heroes and villains are both from japanese culture, and in the first episode of both did the thing where they start out by introducing the red fighting footsoldiers already and playing the theme, and then later there's kind of an inverted callback where Shinkenger's first episode is all about Red wanting to fight alone and Ninninger Red is about getting everyone to join him. Too bad they kind of didn't know what to do after that.

Both of these examples show one thing: The first episode or premise means jack poo poo with these series and it's too early to really tell anything about how zyuohger will be good or not.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hate to break it to you but Super Sentai is a giant commercial for children's toys so when the show advertises the leader the most I just don't know how you can expect to be mad.

It's like being pissed off at Transformers because Optimus Prime is shown so much

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That trailer owned and I'm glad we're getting kind of a lo-fi sentai to decompress from ninja hell. That thing looks like it was filmed in like 2004, but with better after effects, and I am 200% ready for a campy Weird Sentai about furries who play minecraft.

e: my tumblr newsfeed is gonna be furious about Asian Guy Dreadlocks

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

RealFoxy posted:

Hate to break it to you but Super Sentai is a giant commercial for children's toys so when the show advertises the leader the most I just don't know how you can expect to be mad.

It's like being pissed off at Transformers because Optimus Prime is shown so much

See this is One thing I've asked before and I've never gotten an answer. Like, I, at least, don't know if this style of show is popular with kids in Japan. I mean if you do and it is, I've said before that I can accept that I'm not part of the target audience and if kids want their shows to be about Super Reds then I don't really have a place to complain about it, but no one has ever said either way and I'm not sure anyone is actually qualified to say it one way or the other.

I would also argue that at least in the recent shows Optimus hasn't been as much of a focus. The super most recent Transformers actually went I think an entire season without him appearing except as a ghost in a couple of episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

That trailer owned and I'm glad we're getting kind of a lo-fi sentai to decompress from ninja hell. That thing looks like it was filmed in like 2004, but with better after effects, and I am 200% ready for a campy Weird Sentai about furries who play minecraft.

e: my tumblr newsfeed is gonna be furious about Asian Guy Dreadlocks

I'm sure there's some east Asian minority group that has dreadlocks or a dreadlock like hairstyle. If not, who gives a gently caress? Dreadlocks aren't a style that belongs to a single culture/region.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure there's some east Asian minority group that has dreadlocks or a dreadlock like hairstyle. If not, who gives a gently caress? Dreadlocks aren't a style that belongs to a single culture/region.

No see it's cultural appropriation and that's bad because

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I've come back around on Asian Guy Dreadlocks, because him being the lion wraps it all back around to being a stupid shout-out to Rasta. Please be dead serious Rastafarian, lion fursuit man :pray:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mikeycp posted:

It helps that Daigo's actor had any sort of acting ability.

Takaharu shouting about how he's fired up is some of the worst acting I've seen and how did he even get the job? Do they really just not have tryouts for Sentai so they didn't know how bad he was or is it a matter of "He's a super popular actor/singer guy so who cares if he can't act, he'll make the show more popular."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Diago's actor was the kind of guy that made you excited with him, he did great in that regard.

Also while Kyoryuger was red-centric the way the others where portrayed felt more like Diago is cool, but look how cool the rest is as well! whereas the bit of NinNinger I've seen felt more like This was cool right? But Red is even cooler

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zedd posted:

Diago's actor was the kind of guy that made you excited with him, he did great in that regard.

Also while Kyoryuger was red-centric the way the others where portrayed felt more like Diago is cool, but look how cool the rest is as well! whereas the bit of NinNinger I've seen felt more like This was cool right? But Red is even cooler

Ninninjer does a thing where it props up a character as cool for like 15 minutes, and then undermines that by going, "BUT TAKAHARU TOOK CARE OF IT ANYWAY"

Seriously, like everybody in that lineup is a pretty cool standalone character, except for maybe Fuuka, whose character seems to boil down to "Takaharu's sister who is sick of his bullshit". Kasumi and Yakumo especially just get constantly owned by this phenomenon.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

If Takaharu more actively supported his family members, rather than him brute forcing/saving the day by himself, I imagine that would go a long way to improving his character.

The cool thing that Daigo does, that Takaharu doesn't, is how Daigo was really cheerful and actively wanted to help others, including his fellow rangers. Takaharu is kind of a loser where he generally doesn't learn in terms of how he succeeds, he's right because him being FIRED UP lets him win and straight up be stronger than his family members.

I like that Ninninger tried to give every family member a thing they specialize in, and I probably wouldn't be too annoyed if I binge watched the show, but Takaharu is pretty one-note, which is an issue if you're trying to show him off as being The Best.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yakumo kinda got some redemption in the penultimate episode...(other than it all being motivated by "I have to surpass Taka")

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 1, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Agreeing with just about everyone on the page, RE: Daigo. Shinkenger's another great example of a sentai series that made the Red the center of the universe, but actually managed to sell it. Takeru was an arrogant rear end in a top hat, sure, but he was an arrogant rear end in a top hat with issues.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Agreeing with just about everyone on the page, RE: Daigo. Shinkenger's another great example of a sentai series that made the Red the center of the universe, but actually managed to sell it. Takeru was an arrogant rear end in a top hat, sure, but he was an arrogant rear end in a top hat with issues.

And it was pretty great that half the team bought into his arrogance entirely and the other half not only didn't care, but actively challenged his superiority and tried to ground him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

And it was pretty great that half the team bought into his arrogance entirely and the other half not only didn't care, but actively challenged his superiority and tried to ground him.

And then the sixth joins and sees Takeru as his own person and a friend instead of a Lord or rival.

Really, that's what separates both series the most to me: even if Shinkenger is centered around Takeru, everyone matters. Everyone affects the plot, and most importantly, affects each other. Takeru grows a lot during the course of the series, and it is thanks to those around him. Takaharu is dull, he is the exact same person now than he was on episode 1. Nothing affects him, nothing changes him, because he's sold as this absolutely perfect warrior that can do everything great and no one can even remotely catch up to him. We're meant to think that everyone has their own talents and Takaharu has the weakness of being really stupid, but this never affects anything because no matter what the spotlight and credit goes to him, even in episodes that are meant to give the spotlight to others.

Ninninger is a waste of good heroes because Takaharu exists, and it saddens me. I actually really like the main cast, and I wish they got a better show. The villains are, however, terrible and they really fit the lackluster show we're watching.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Akashi from Boukenger is my favorite Red partly because they seemed to want to make him the most skilled and experienced member of the team without being overbearing about it. He's not a shouty hot-blooded character, he's mature, and often serves as a kind of mentor figure himself. I can understand why they haven't done another Red like him, though, since that's really because he developed the most as a character before the series.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Takaharu shouting about how he's fired up is some of the worst acting I've seen and how did he even get the job? Do they really just not have tryouts for Sentai so they didn't know how bad he was or is it a matter of "He's a super popular actor/singer guy so who cares if he can't act, he'll make the show more popular."

Since about episode eight, when the realization fully sank in, I've wondered if Takaharu's actor being astoundingly terrible was a fluke for this franchise or if there've been any other incredibly bad Sentai actors we just didn't notice for one reason or another, especially coming out of Megaforce where the actual robot managed to show more emotion than Troy did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shaezerus posted:

Since about episode eight, when the realization fully sank in, I've wondered if Takaharu's actor being astoundingly terrible was a fluke for this franchise or if there've been any other incredibly bad Sentai actors we just didn't notice for one reason or another, especially coming out of Megaforce where the actual robot managed to show more emotion than Troy did.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of acting (good or bad) gets obscured by the language barrier. For stuff like crappy deliveries of "I'm getting fired uuuuuuuuup!" every other episode, it's pretty easy to tell regardless of language, but how much other stuff gets lost?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

3-minute Zyuohger trailer. Or if you're in Japan and reading this, you can watch it on YT because Toei decided "we're gonna lock this up."

The little models of the cube animal robots were cute as hell :3:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. What a Ninninger episode. It sure was Ninninger.

And by that, I of course mean it was disappointing. It's pretty amazing how the death of someone as cool as grandpa feels hollow. Everyone's reactions are just dull, with the one exception being Tsumuji who actually made me feel bad and keeps proving himself the best character in the show. And of course, that means we get absolutely nothing more from him: he randomly broke an arm so he can't help anymore. You wanted more than one fight that accomplishes nothing from dad and grandpa? gently caress you!

I can see why they're both reds. Their suits will never be used again. Which is what I fully expected, but man, learning nothing from Kyoryuger here. It was bad with Yuuko and Tessai MkII, and it is even worse now because Tsumuji and Yoshitaka have been important to the series since episode 1 and Tsumuji recovering his nintality was the one plot point I still gave a poo poo about. What a waste.

Gabi Raizou and Mangetsu's mum unsurprisingly get really underwhelming bits of fights because they don't deserve a proper ending. And for once I'm not being sarcastic, they were both terrible characters, but piling bad writing over bad writing does not make it good, this was underwhelming as hell. Something I'll admit I did like though, is that Gabi Raizou goes down like a chump, so at least his power level is consistent in that he's still loving terrible, like this show!

They also brought back the Kyuubelei to...beat it down immediatly with no actual effort despite how strong the first one was. I get it was to take Nagi and Fuuka out of the fight and because every episode must have a robot fight but geez, just use giant mooks for that.

And Kyuuemon gets a super mode by absorbing a bunch of Sealing Shuriken. I expected it to come from the End Shuriken, but no, apparently it was something he could've gotten at any point in the show but didn't because...

Perhaps the worst part of the episode, though, was as per usual Takaharu and how he's the absolute best and whatnot. I thought the series was going to shock me by making Yakumo important...but then grandpa's hologram continues until he gets to Takaharu and basically says "yes you'll be the best and beat Gengetsu". And considering he's facing Kyuuemon 1-on-1...yeah, if it wasn't for the preview, I'd be drat sure we'd get the third ending in a row in which we forget this is a Sentai.

God I'll be so glad once Ninninger is done and we can go with cute cubes and really awesome opening.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Nininger was straight up bullshit and it only makes me want to watch Kakuranger to get the taste out of my mouth.

gently caress you, Nininger.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

gently caress Ninninger, watch Ghost instead.

Necrom's debut was pretty radical. They're doing some cool things with him. :stare:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

Necrom's debut was pretty radical. They're doing some cool things with him. :stare:

Oh believe me, I am.

In addition to Ghost, I am watching Winspector and Gavan as they are released, both of them are pretty great.

Gavan is the best though, I highly recommend it if you have any love for Tokusatsu at all, it's just amazing all the time.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Necrom had a loving cool introduction, and his brace's voice is awesome. Particularly so compared to the obnoxious Ghost driver.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

DESTROY

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

If Ghost continues to be the same quality it's been for the past few episodes and pulls out a few more at the amazing level of Episode 11 then Ghost is going to end up being a great series.

Just please don't drop the ball Ghost.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

YES SIR

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Necrom's brace has such a rad voice and look, but at the same time, seeing that thing on his arm just looks stupid as hell even for a Toku show, too much big clunky looking stuff recently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gotta make room for the LIGHTS AND SOUNDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Brinty posted:

Necrom's brace has such a rad voice and look, but at the same time, seeing that thing on his arm just looks stupid as hell even for a Toku show, too much big clunky looking stuff recently.

It's big and awkward and why does nobody punch him in the enormous lull it takes for him to do anything with it. I get it's a "Why are you letting them form the robot" complaint but Aran just stands there fiddling with the big dumb blocky eyedropper on his wrist for like twenty seconds, kick him in the teeth Makoto

• Locked thread