Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Edit: New page. Previous poster asked "How do I fix 'Overload' warnings on my ship?"

More power! Either add more Reactors (with Uranium) to power the thing, or slap additional Batteries on (and make sure they have a chance to charge).

I've had bad luck building crafts with solar panels and batteries--if you decide to go this route, make sure you manually put the batteries in Discharge mode before flight. I encountered a problem where batteries would switch from discharging to recharging if both options were unchecked, which led to a few unplanned landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Edit: New page. Previous poster asked "How do I fix 'Overload' warnings on my ship?"

More power! Either add more Reactors (with Uranium) to power the thing, or slap additional Batteries on (and make sure they have a chance to charge).

I've had bad luck building crafts with solar panels and batteries--if you decide to go this route, make sure you manually put the batteries in Discharge mode before flight. I encountered a problem where batteries would switch from discharging to recharging if both options were unchecked, which led to a few unplanned landings.

Actually you should just be disabling Recharge. That way they charge AND discharge depending on available external power.

I'm currently trying my hand at modular cargo shipping.

The individual Cargo Cars each hold six pods, and each can be detached. The pods come in flavours of Cargo, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Extra Thrusters and Jump Drives. Also going pure vanilla blocks just for a change.

They also have no maneuvering thrusters, but there's the Tug for that. It's even got enough grunt to shove the cargo pods around when they're fully-laden, provided the Hydrogen thrusters are used. And maybe with a hydrogen fuel pod mounted on the back. The Cars have batteries to keep them going when detached, along with a basic cockpit to move them off a ship and on.

It's also got an open Subcraft car, just for a generic shuttle/starfighter hauler. There's also two cargo pod mounts underneath.

Still working on the main Hauler though. It's gonna have the usual modular range of projectors for the Cars and Pods. The shuttle mounted is just for decoration, I'm gonna leave the belly docking mount empty.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually you should just be disabling Recharge. That way they charge AND discharge depending on available external power.
I'm confused. If both Recharge and Discharge are unchecked, the battery should attempt to do both, depending on available external power, as you say. The only way I know of to disable Recharge is by manually checking Discharge, as I advised in my post. What am I missing? :\

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

I'm confused. If both Recharge and Discharge are unchecked, the battery should attempt to do both, depending on available external power, as you say. The only way I know of to disable Recharge is by manually checking Discharge, as I advised in my post. What am I missing? :\

Just click on Recharge when it's checked.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Right. The issue I experienced was when I had both Recharge and Discharge unchecked, the batteries would provide inconsistent power, because the shift in power demand would fluctuate when I fired my atmospheric thrusters. This inconsistent power meant my ship stopped getting thrust unpredictably--and the solution I found was to check Discharge, so the batteries would not attempt to Recharge at all while I was flying.

I think we're saying the same thing. :)

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
-Snip-

Sorry, missed a page.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone know of any mod that adds even larger wheels than the 5x5? Was wondering about putting together some massive crawling base / fortress. Like a Sand Crawler or Leviathan from 40K. :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Anyone know of any mod that adds even larger wheels than the 5x5? Was wondering about putting together some massive crawling base / fortress. Like a Sand Crawler or Leviathan from 40K. :D

I think 5x5's the biggest anyone's done, which should still be plenty big for a crawler considering how huge they are already.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there a mod that lets you add windows to small ships?

I couldn't see anything in the OP and I'm confused if you even need a mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bedshaped posted:

Is there a mod that lets you add windows to small ships?

I couldn't see anything in the OP and I'm confused if you even need a mod.

The Small Ship Mega Mod has small-block versions of every block. The SE Developers seem to think of the small-block craft as just little one-man utility vehicles, sadly. It'd be really nice if a lot of the basic stuff from that mega-mod could get into the vanilla game. Even if just the doors, cockpits and windows.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks a lot; I missed that one thinking it was a ship build pack.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm currently trying my hand at modular cargo shipping.

Neddy, you're the Colm Meaney of Space Engineers, works of functional art sir. :golfclap:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NurhacisUrn posted:

Neddy, you're the Colm Meaney of Space Engineers, works of functional art sir. :golfclap:

I actually wound up ditching the Hauler because it wound up looking crap. Instead it's got this;

Which flies, and lands, like this using a shitload of Hydrogen Thrusters;

The interior is a set of vertical levels with a central horizontal corridor using some tricking gravity that means you're walking an uphill slope along it. I should probably try and get some stairs in there too for when it's on the ground/in atmosphere.

If you're curious about the indentations on the side, this is what they're for.

edit: I just checked the bug forums to be sure, but be aware that ships are not hovering properly in atmosphere at the moment, they sink regardless of whether they should be able to float on inertial dampners or not.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 31, 2016

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Do ground vehicles need gyroscopes? I kinda thought it was necessary for all vehicles (despite it not making sense) but I watched some Youtube vids where people had rovers without gyros.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

In my experience, gyroscopes make ground vehicles MUCH easier to steer.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Aaaand another question. I notice that people are able to name their structures. "Home Base", "Assault Carrier", "Mining Rover" etc... Is that done by just renaming the antenna?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

lilspooky posted:

Aaaand another question. I notice that people are able to name their structures. "Home Base", "Assault Carrier", "Mining Rover" etc... Is that done by just renaming the antenna?

Go to the control panel screen of the ship/station, click the info tab at the top, set the name on the right.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Thanks!

This bug where you constantly lose health as you build/grind is REALLY loving annoying.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Going back to modular ships, I made a large ship version:

No fancy modules yet, except for these:

Also a large shield generator is more than enough to keep this rig from imploding on itself from the shear forces.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

lilspooky posted:

Thanks!

This bug where you constantly lose health as you build/grind is REALLY loving annoying.

New thread title
Space Engineers: This bug is REALLY loving annoying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know if there's a script for renaming partial text? Just want something that could go through all blocks and, say, replace all instances of "Shuttle 01" with "Shuttle 02".

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

E: gently caress, thanks mobile app for making me respond to something a full page back

Also, opening/closing doors and building/deconstructing in a pressurized environment will both empty the room of oxygen, causing you to take damage.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 31, 2016

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone know if there's a script for renaming partial text? Just want something that could go through all blocks and, say, replace all instances of "Shuttle 01" with "Shuttle 02".

If it's one time you might be able to find and replace in the save file?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hello thread! Another day and more questions!

I finally got around to rebuilding my rover. Seems that both total number of wheels, but more importantly width of the vehicle and wheelbase determines a lot about how it moves. My new one is able to zip around much more calmly without constantly wanting to flip over if I try to turn it. It's a little front heavy because I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the back half. Thought about trying to install a crane but realized it would interfere with my docking ability. Any suggestions on other stuff to do?

On the crane front. I saw a guy do that in a video as well as a trailer with hitch. Now the crane he did with rotors, pistons, hinges, and a landing gear. I just can't figure out how he was able to get the hinge to stop during its movement without tediously adjusting the degrees of tilt. No other way? Any other tips on crane building?

On the trailer and hitch thing I'm not quite sure how he was able to do it. I can't seem to find a mod that let's you do it and he wasn't using merge blocks. It was pretty neat as it was a realistic hitch he could back into, connect, drive around and it would turn with his vehicle.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I haven't played this game since before oxygen was really a thing (I think I dabbled with it right when it came out).

Planets seem really cool. Is there only one planet in ever save? Assuming there are other planets, is there any way to find new ones? Is it more fun to start on a planet and work outwards, or start in space and land on a planet?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
There is a mode called "Star System" that I chose. It starts you in an atmospheric lander hurtling toward the surface of an earth-like planet. You get to land, build a base and either keep expanding / building or try to get back into space to start building stations / ships / etc. Then you can head off to the other planets, one is a mars-like planet with no oxygen, and the other is an alien world with the spiders. Finally there are still asteroids out there...I'm pretty sure.

I think you can also start in space and then eventually go down to a planet.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

lilspooky posted:

Hello thread! Another day and more questions!

I finally got around to rebuilding my rover. Seems that both total number of wheels, but more importantly width of the vehicle and wheelbase determines a lot about how it moves. My new one is able to zip around much more calmly without constantly wanting to flip over if I try to turn it. It's a little front heavy because I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the back half. Thought about trying to install a crane but realized it would interfere with my docking ability. Any suggestions on other stuff to do?

On the crane front. I saw a guy do that in a video as well as a trailer with hitch. Now the crane he did with rotors, pistons, hinges, and a landing gear. I just can't figure out how he was able to get the hinge to stop during its movement without tediously adjusting the degrees of tilt. No other way? Any other tips on crane building?

On the trailer and hitch thing I'm not quite sure how he was able to do it. I can't seem to find a mod that let's you do it and he wasn't using merge blocks. It was pretty neat as it was a realistic hitch he could back into, connect, drive around and it would turn with his vehicle.

If it's the crane I saw it was MovieIT script which lets you program exact rotor and piston settings among other stuff. The hitch might have been using it too, but it was a free moving rotor being detached and attached.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

If it's the crane I saw it was MovieIT script which lets you program exact rotor and piston settings among other stuff. The hitch might have been using it too, but it was a free moving rotor being detached and attached.

Hmm maybe.... Scripts are a bit more complicated than I want to get for the moment.

Here's the video if you wanna take a quick look and tell me if you think that's what he's doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tr5vXtSnQ&t=230s

Finally, if you have a larger vehicle that can connect smaller ones what do you need to do to make sure they don't get destroyed as the larger one moves? If I have a mining ship docking to something like a mobile base via a connector do I still need to hook up some kind of landing gear setup to keep it from bouncing around or will the connector be strong enough?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, it was w4stedspace, I saw him making the crane in a stream before that series started. It was MovieIT or Easy Automation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Hmm maybe.... Scripts are a bit more complicated than I want to get for the moment.

Here's the video if you wanna take a quick look and tell me if you think that's what he's doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tr5vXtSnQ&t=230s

Finally, if you have a larger vehicle that can connect smaller ones what do you need to do to make sure they don't get destroyed as the larger one moves? If I have a mining ship docking to something like a mobile base via a connector do I still need to hook up some kind of landing gear setup to keep it from bouncing around or will the connector be strong enough?

You need landing gear. Connectors have a bit of drift to them and a sudden turn or acceleration will break the connection.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I finally solved the issue with planets not working on my system - I got a better system.

Do most of you people play in creative or in actual survival? Even building a tiny shuttle seems to be ridiculously expensive in survival or am I doing something wrong? I can't even imagine what some of these big ships would cost to build.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I play on a Dedicated Server with 2-4 other players, depending on the day. There's a bit of a growth curve to a DS--because initially you're all scavenging on foot to find different ores (lots and lots of Iron, really) to build your first attempts at craft.

Once you get a simple transport vehicle built, you can expedite the process by moving more ore at a stretch, and then once you get a mining vehicle built, things go even faster. :)

At some point, you have far more raw ore than you know what to do with, and you just let the refineries chug away overnight, and then your material problems are gone... until you decide to build a space-faring craft and get off the planet!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Police Automaton posted:

I finally solved the issue with planets not working on my system - I got a better system.

Do most of you people play in creative or in actual survival? Even building a tiny shuttle seems to be ridiculously expensive in survival or am I doing something wrong? I can't even imagine what some of these big ships would cost to build.

I make stuff in creative then import it to a survival to mess around with. I'll try doing everything in survival when they've fixed the netcode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Police Automaton posted:

There's no reason you have to start from scratch in Survival. Make yourself a ship and various subcraft in creative, then go tooling around in Survival mode with it. And I've seen the component and block counts on the Avalon Battlecarrier in SEToolbox. They are not pretty :shepface:.

Speaking of shuttles, I've upgraded mine. Again.

Now as you can see there are distinct shuttle variants for specific tas-

I'm kidding, it's just got a few more merge blocks :v:. (The armor plates are Reinforced Armor)

I also wanted more than just either missile pods or a complete armor shell, so it's got some basic battery-powered laser-relay buoys to drop off. No idea if they'll hover in atmosphere because of that drat inertial dampener bug though :argh:.

Also shuffled the seats and managed to give it the Hullrider's belly door without halving the passenger seats. Now it's all set for sweet tacticool infiltrations through the hull docking into those shuttle grooves.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
LCD camera mod has been released!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611332581

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I've been contemplating renting a dedicated server for Space Engineers for some time now. I'm wondering how stable they are (used to playing on a spare computer) and how much they cost?

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:allears:

Sublime.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your designs are so cool. :allears:

Here's a flying murder chair:

:getin:

Also I've reworked my mini murder pod:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stick an LCD screen on the back with something appropriately bumper-sticker-ish. And a speaker block to blare sweet tunes as you gun down people.

Getting the Kestrel's armor to actually break away took an in-depth examination on what the actual contact sides are for certain blocks (translation: swearing and random block deletion). Incidentally, the top of the Azimuth Ramp Thruster counts as one.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stick an LCD screen on the back with something appropriately bumper-sticker-ish. And a speaker block to blare sweet tunes as you gun down people.

Even better.

And I made a drone version.

• Locked thread