Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

My point is that while everyone probably has 1 story of "crazy rng for food" (I've had one myself), you've also got the rest of the time that you didn't get that. I can think of maybe 2 runs where I had a crazy set of hunger events, and I've probably played over 200 runs between various estates at least. If you provision smart and don't waste your food, it shouldn't really come up as an issue. I have way more runs where I end up with extra food than I do running out. You take a risk running around with 0 food, so you should assume it'll happen instead of saying "oh it probably won't".

For example, what size of camp did he use? If he ate 8 or 12 food for the camp, that is 100% his own drat fault (I bet he did because his guys are basically full hp and no stress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I just pounded my head into the wall after getting a hunger event moments after feeding everyone for a HP perk. I'm glad I have a policy in effect regarding always having 4 food in my inventory until the bitter end.

I'm running a new game after having taken a long break and I've found that I really enjoy having a Vestral on standby for the ability to lay down a lot of support stuns and, more importantly with this 'new' corpse mechanic reaching into the back rows for otherwise out of reach support mobs. Though I'm still re-exploring the game at the lower levels of difficulty right now.

That being said I've been tanking a great deal as some of my favorite old flexible systems of play, like the Highwayman/Gravedigger stun and swap have gone out of vogue with the new stun and corpse systems.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Normal Adult Human posted:

Im pretty sure there is a hunger meter that prevents you from getting hunger events every single hallway or after camping but goons are bad at not only the game but short term memory

Hunger events are actually invisible obstacles placed by the map generator. In my experience the generator is fairly forgiving when placing hunger events, and I generally don't run into too many problems...

...until I have to backtrack. When you reenter a hallway you've already cleared, it will randomly add new monsters/traps/hunger events. Whatever logic the map generator may or may not have to keep hunger events somewhat rational, it goes out the window when it comes to hallway events respawning while backtracking. Pretty much every time I get screwed over by hunger seems to be a result of hunger events spawning in while backtracking. I've found that when you see a backtrack-heavy map, a good rule of thumb for how much food to keep on hand is to take the amount of food you would normally expect to use for the given number of hallways to cover and multiply it by one million.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Normal Adult Human posted:

Im pretty sure there is a hunger meter that prevents you from getting hunger events every single hallway or after camping but goons are bad at not only the game but short term memory

No, you can definitely get hunger events in multiple hallways in a row, but they are pretty rare unless you're backtracking.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So I beat the game today. I won't deny that I started to cheat about halfway through. My thoughts.

The core game play is interesting but this game is just too grindy and repetitive. The ending is unsatisfying. There is nothing wrong with it, but it just felt... meh. I feel like you have to run dungeons so many times just to get supplies to try to level up characters to tackle harder dungeons. There is not enough variety or changes between each run.

Honestly, I would not recommend it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Also its really dumb that you can have 3 food but all your guys still starve when one of those checks comes up.

Remind yourself that politeness is a slow and insidious killer

Diogines posted:

So I beat the game today. I won't deny that I started to cheat about halfway through. My thoughts.

The core game play is interesting but this game is just too grindy and repetitive. The ending is unsatisfying. There is nothing wrong with it, but it just felt... meh. I feel like you have to run dungeons so many times just to get supplies to try to level up characters to tackle harder dungeons.

ok

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Internet Kraken posted:

Also its really dumb that you can have 3 food but all your guys still starve when one of those checks comes up.

This only leads to animosity as your group decides who eats. Actually, yes, you should get to choose who eats and anyone who starves by choice gets massive stress by way of envy.

ZypherIM posted:

For example, what size of camp did he use? If he ate 8 or 12 food for the camp, that is 100% his own drat fault (I bet he did because his guys are basically full hp and no stress).

Basically this is the truth. The game has a lot of RNG poo poo some people hate but proper risk mitigation leads to less sadness on the player's part. Here are ways to help: Bring more food than you might usually need. Bring herbs to the Weald and Warrens. Don't bring guys who have negative quirks or trinkets that make them eat more. Wear Bloodthirst Rings or Fasting Seals. Do not eat above Half unless you have what would be described as excess food by that point in travelling. (8 food by two rooms before your final room is not excess)

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 1, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You know what winds up being a loving useful trinket? The trinket that makes sure you don't consume food during hunger checks AND camping. And for general use, it also has a +5 Dodge mod.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Diogines posted:

I started to cheat about halfway through.

Diogines posted:

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I'll grant the original poster the RNG bitch that it happened to be on the last couple squares of the dungeon. But really who gives a poo poo considering it's the first starvation event of the dungeon and it's happening right at the end of it which is almost expected. His guys are pretty much full health and no stress anyway so the starvation hit isn't even that bad. Why anyone latched onto that specific post to talk about their terrible hunger RNG is beyond me.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I very nearly got my Overconfidence wipe after flawlessly slaughtering my way through an entire dungeon, a Collector, and the veteran-level Necromancer; deciding to backtrack to clear out a wing I had passed up the very last fight in the entire dungeon was a loving Shambler.

I remember killing one of those, once, back in the first-level dungeons but I have no idea how. That fucker seems practically invincible in mid-tier. Cue a few turns of spinning my wheels trying to fight and some increasingly panicked failed escapes I get out, everyone having gone from 10-15% stress all the way up to loving Crazy and on the verge of a total party wipe.

It did cost me like 3.5k of my earnings putting everyone's minds back together but I walked out with like 15k thanks to multiple trapezohedrons so whatever. Bullet dodged, better luck next time, shambler :smug:

hes totally going to gently caress me up next time

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
My first time going after the 8 pounder almost wiped me. I only had one dedicated back line guy for the torch man so whenever he didn't crit, the cannon blew my dudes up. I had three of them on death's door and got lucky with a retreat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For the Pounder fight I always concentrate my efforts on killing the matchstick man before channeling whatever I have left towards chipping away at the Pounder itself. It's slow, but I've never been hit by it yet.

That said, I agree with everyone who claims it's not a very good boss.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

My first time going after the 8 pounder almost wiped me. I only had one dedicated back line guy for the torch man so whenever he didn't crit, the cannon blew my dudes up. I had three of them on death's door and got lucky with a retreat.

It seems I'm really lucky when fighting the pounders. The only time one ever got through, it was a misfire.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing about stuff like starvation, or being caught at a barrier without a shovel (because you're in the Weald and you've gone through all six of your shovels already because gently caress you) is that it's not even really that damaging. Maybe it is in higher level dungeons, but during my runs it's always just been a couple of health, and a bit of stress. Which, sure, if you're already running on empty can be catastrophic.

And yet it feels like such a horrible setback.

e. Only one hallway fight between me and the last fight of my first Veteran-level dungeon, and my party's in pretty good shape. How bad could it-

Oh. Hello Mr. Collector.

(And that's how I found out that the Man-At-Arms' canon name is apparently "Barristan".)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 1, 2016

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Finally had a full party wipe including a heart attack when I over-confidently thought I could take on the Shambler with a team I was leveling. I actually managed to kill it but a tentacle finished off my last guy. Be wary, triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall indeed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
overconfidence is a bloodle bloo doo

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah, I can see how only having one person who can reach the back ranks could turn ugly fast.
My team for the pounder fights was Vestal - Arbalest - Dog - Hellion, with the Hellion and Arbalest being designated for Matchman duty. Even with that setup, at Champion level I almost ran into trouble because no matter which of the two would go first would invariably leave the Matchman at 1 or 2 HP, so the other one couldn't hit the cannon that turn. Which meant the fight dragged on forever while the melee bandit, who had decided he was the real boss, landed crit after crit.

docbeard posted:

The thing about stuff like starvation, or being caught at a barrier without a shovel (because you're in the Weald and you've gone through all six of your shovels already because gently caress you) is that it's not even really that damaging. Maybe it is in higher level dungeons, but during my runs it's always just been a couple of health, and a bit of stress. Which, sure, if you're already running on empty can be catastrophic.

And yet it feels like such a horrible setback.
Nothing like having your adventurers claw through a wall because you already used 4 shovels, only for the game to present you with a shallow grave in the next hallway. Mocking you.

The Weald is distilled spite.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

On week 17 or so of New Game Plus, no deaths or retreats so far. The game still feels the same for apprentice dungeons. Does it go nuts on the veteran and champion levels?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I swear I just saw the eye on the nomad cart move :prepop:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

The Weald is distilled spite.

Animosity clarified in a single region.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Coolguye posted:

Dismas: "I think I will keep this as a souvenir. Not many people get to reclaim their heads after they've lost them."

Was that a Gargoyles reference, or did I just needlessly out myself as a(n even bigger) nerd?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, how much importance do you place on stuns? I just had a spirited drunken disagreement with a friend about whether stuns are "the best" (me) or "always a waste of time" (my friend). I figure if you know you're not going to kill a target in a round, it's always better to go for the stun rather than let them damage/stress you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Stuns are pretty awesome and your friend is bad at bideogames

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How drunk was your friend to think stuns are useless.

Is there going to be a funeral?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

He was real drunk, lots of rum, but also he has very strange ideas about video games.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Bring this hypothetical to your friend: you're up against an Uca Crusher. You can either get Arterial Pinched every turn, or every other turn.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Killing > Stunning > Damage > DoT

That seems to be the basic priority. Any move that will kill (even a DoT, if it will do the remainder of their health) is obviously best, then a stun to cancel at least a turn, then softening things up with damage that doesn't kill but will next turn. Maybe an exception if the enemy has poor Dodge but good Stun Resist, where damage application is relatively guaranteed but the stun sticking is uncertain. Also it's fine to soften an enemy that will die this turn if it takes two people hitting it to kill it, unless there's a higher-priority stunnable target.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I played this game for about 5 hours during EA and now I'm diving back in. Currently I suppose I'm "cheating" by endlessly grinding 4 man Short dungeons and dumping them afterwards. However, I guess it's time to actually make progress, but now I'm a bit stumped. I have about 50k in gold (woo?) and have upgraded the Wagon to 4 people a week, Guild once each and now I feel "stuck". I'm not stuck in the sense of being unable to move forward, but I'm not entirely sure how to a) properly invest my resources in a team and b) what town upgrades are necessary in doing so.

Ultimately, I have to pick at least an A team to start making real progress (torn mostly between Crusader and Man-at-Arms as my frontline)... but for now I'm just grinding resources which seems like cheating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Time_pants posted:

Was that a Gargoyles reference, or did I just needlessly out myself as a(n even bigger) nerd?

it totally was

thank you for getting it, friend

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
RIP all 3 feather crystals, my only sacred scroll, my only ancestor map, and 4 level 5s. All because I got lazy and then tried to salvage the situation when things went south.

We need a :darksouls: / :xcom: style emote for this game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
for all the poo poo jesters get, he's the guy I really often miss when I don't bring him in a champion dungeon

the +speed buff really helps more than I'd have initially thought. just knowing at the start of a round that everyone on your team is getting an action before the baddies is a really powerful aid. the crit and accuracy buffs help too. sure, his attacks are garbage, but I've got other people for that business.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

We need a :darksouls: / :xcom: style emote for this game

I request it feature both the Bone Courtier and the stress symbol.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
That feel when you crit a tempting goblet....

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sicarius posted:

I played this game for about 5 hours during EA and now I'm diving back in. Currently I suppose I'm "cheating" by endlessly grinding 4 man Short dungeons and dumping them afterwards. However, I guess it's time to actually make progress, but now I'm a bit stumped. I have about 50k in gold (woo?) and have upgraded the Wagon to 4 people a week, Guild once each and now I feel "stuck". I'm not stuck in the sense of being unable to move forward, but I'm not entirely sure how to a) properly invest my resources in a team and b) what town upgrades are necessary in doing so.

Ultimately, I have to pick at least an A team to start making real progress (torn mostly between Crusader and Man-at-Arms as my frontline)... but for now I'm just grinding resources which seems like cheating.

TBH you're probably wasting your time grinding short apprentice dungeons like that early on. There's plenty of time for grinding without going out of your way to make more.

I upgrade weapons first, then skills I'm using, then armour. It's all so cheap for level ones that just upgrading the stuff of whoever's going in right now won't set you back much, and I don't normally bother upgrading armour unless I care about the hero in question or it's a boss.

I prioritise blacksmith weapon upgrades, then guild upgrades then armour upgrades, getting cost reductions as necessary. Speed and damage increase survivability more than health and dodge, at least to begin with. Then stress relief, and sometimes I dump crests on the survivalist or wagon if I feel like it. You can safely horde heirlooms and only upgrade the stuff you're using right now, just don't be like me and confirm someone's treatment before upgrading things. Upgrade your roster when you need to, I guess. That's kept me going so far, and most of my deaths have been due to not knowing how to deal with enemies on the first encounter. And a dose of plain old bad luck (looking at you, 8 pounder).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

sicarius posted:

Sounds to me like you're overthinking it. Prioritize weapon and armor upgrades as well as Guild skill-ups on any group of four people who work well together, that's almost anything at Apprentice level so long as one person is a front liner and another can heal. Then extend this process to as many people as you can. Darkest Dungeon doesn't want you to use "an A-team" so first order of business is to try to get as many characters in dungeon shape as you can and run dungeons in parallel to the best of your ability so that everyone hits Veteran or close to it. Investing in your Hamlet is also nothing complicated. What have you been making use of? Upgrade that. If you want a more detailed road map, though, try these guidelines: once you have four people coming in each week, try to max out your Barracks, then use your deeds to upgrade the Blacksmith and your paintings to upgrade the Guild so that you can upgrade to whatever level your characters can take advantage of. Busts can go into the Sanitarium or Abbey at your discretion, though I'd look into at least expanding the number of medical cells because while quirks are a fact of life you have to live with, minus Kleptomania, that poo poo has to go, most diseases have to be healed before a character can go back into the field and multiple people getting diseases at the end of a run is going to happen. Go into dungeons and post here whenever something goes perfectly and you feel like you're hitting your stride or you fail in a horrifying or comical manner.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

for all the poo poo jesters get, he's the guy I really often miss when I don't bring him in a champion dungeon

the +speed buff really helps more than I'd have initially thought. just knowing at the start of a round that everyone on your team is getting an action before the baddies is a really powerful aid. the crit and accuracy buffs help too. sure, his attacks are garbage, but I've got other people for that business.

harvest and slice off are amazing skills all the way around unless you're headed to the ruins. i will frequently put a jester in slot 2 or 3 and load them up with harvest/slice off/battle ballad/whatever the stress heal is. start off the fight with battle ballad, opportunistically snipe dorks that are marginal, spend the wind down calming folks down. really not substantially different from a Vestal's role in stunning first, judging second, and healing later (in ideal situations).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I may be Wrong or have it mixed up a bit, but my priorities are always Skills first, then Armor, then Weapons.

Skills let you hit the higher level enemies more consistently and get fewer of your attacks dodged or missed, Armor lets you dodge more often and gives you a bigger HP buffer which is crucial when you start hitting the Level 3 dungeons, then Weapons obviously just give you more damage so you can kill things quicker.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Weapons kill enemies so they don't hit you, and let you go before them. I've never had to choose between upgrading skills or weapons though, but I'd still probably go with the damage and speed increase over a 5% accuracy boost on hit thing heroes.

It's may be a preference thing, but I'm clearing vet dungeons fine with level 2 weapons and level 1 armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The only problem with it is that it obviously doesn't apply to the first turn, where it's most critical (as I have read it, +Speed doesn't update until next turn's initiative roll). That said if everybody had Quick Draw or On Guard for the +4 on Turn 1, then the Jester can more or less guarantee that you will go first the entire battle while the quirks cover the pre-buff turn. Could save you trying to get the generic +2 Speed on everybody on the Jester's team at least.