Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pinacotheca posted:

Do you mean like this? The commentary is still working on that page for me.

E: Unrelatedly, some contemporary Peter Davison silliness that I hadn't seen before.

Oh nice thanks, I was looking at the old site for episodes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/) which did not have the "this site has been archived" banner at the top when I looked last time. I must have looked at it when they were archiving it and moving the content.

:tipshat:

If you have never listended to these then there are some really good ones, like Steven Moffat and Noel Clarke doing Girl in the Fireplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

BSam, we're still waiting for you to post what echoplex sent you!

Unless you posted and I completely missed it

I'll dig it out later if he doesn't!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

Oh nice thanks, I was looking at the old site for episodes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/) which did not have the "this site has been archived" banner at the top when I looked last time. I must have looked at it when they were archiving it and moving the content.

:tipshat:

If you have never listended to these then there are some really good ones, like Steven Moffat and Noel Clarke doing Girl in the Fireplace

And Forest of the Dead with RTD, Moffat and Tennant at the time when news of Moffat becoming showrunner was breaking

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't have time to listen - can you supply any interesting hilights?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So in realistic casting hopefuls, I'm gonna go back to my pre Matt Smith hope that Paterson Joseph finally gets a shot at the role.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe David Mitchell could be his companion for a bit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

So in realistic casting hopefuls, I'm gonna go back to my pre Matt Smith hope that Paterson Joseph finally gets a shot at the role.

He's played him before!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I didn't notice before now that he's apparently borrowed Bowie's tights from Labyrinth. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Whoa, someone adapted Neverwhere? Is it worth watching?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hahahahaha NOPE.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I liked it a lot when it was first on TV. There's been a radio adaptation too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The book is an adaptation of the TV series :eng101:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Peter Capaldi plays the Angel

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The book is an adaptation of the TV series :eng101:

Well poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The book is far better than the mini series. For all the talent on screen it is really a chore to watch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

The book is far better than the mini series. For all the talent on screen it is really a chore to watch.

I enjoyed the radio adaptation from a couple years back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

I enjoyed the radio adaptation from a couple years back.

I never got around to it. The only time I have to listen to audio is in the car and with how horrible other drivers are I can't risk the distraction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

If we're blue-skying talent, how about Cate Blanchett? Great actor, solid nerd cred, beautiful and chock a block full of gravitas. Unless Aussies don't count. She lives somewhere in Sussex now, though, so that should be good.

If we're going down that road, my perfect Doctor has been Emma Thompson for a long time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am halfway through Broadchuch's first season and considering this in tandem with his Doctor Who and Torchwood work, he is good at the following:

1) Depicting the depressing collapse of relationships that seem like they should be working.
2) Demonstrating community and friendship destroying paranoia and selfish opportunism that comes in the wake of tragedy.
3) Writing characters whose jobs dealing with the worst of humanity's aspects force them to disconnect from people.
4) Casting.

He is, however, not very good at whimsy. The happy parts of relationships, both romantic and friendly, feel forced when he writes them. He is better at making us doubt the heroes than making us feel sympathy for antagonists.

He seems like a bad fit for Doctor Who. I don't want my friendly egalitarian space wizard show to involve a conspiracy of lies and secrets between the protagonists, frequently based on their own selfishness, that tears their relationship apart. I don't think Chibnall will write it that way, which would be writing to his strengths. I think he will try to write Russell T. Davies episodes. I am a little worried the show won't be very good for awhile.

I do think he will do a great job of casting the Doctor, though (working with, of course, the vast committee of people who are involved in a casting decision like this).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Keep in mind that Broadchurch is the BEST thing he has ever done. And I don't mean that to drat the first season of Broadchurch, because I think it is excellent (and as noted, the casting is superb), but he has never done anything as good as that before or since, and that sadly includes the second season of Broadchurch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
On the other hand both series of Broadchurch had the same amount of episodes and were broadcast consistently each week, so he seems to have the showrunning thing down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Personally, I feel Doctor Who could use a little less whimsy. I'm not asking for some stupid overly serious DC comics treatment here, but every time the music lifts and the leads smile at each other I feel the need to roll my eyes straight through the back of my skull.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

He seems like a bad fit for Doctor Who. I don't want my friendly egalitarian space wizard show to involve a conspiracy of lies and secrets between the protagonists, frequently based on their own selfishness, that tears their relationship apart.

So like Clara and 12 then? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd agree that Chibnall does seem to be good at working with casting directors, because most of the casts on shows he's been in charge of are great. And I know L&O:UK is kind of a punchline (somewhat unfairly, as I quite liked it), but the cast on that was pretty great, especially the offbeat choice of Bradley Walsh (a standup comic/gameshow host) in the Briscoe role.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know offhand when Big Finish tends to release stuff in the month? I know the second War Doctor set is coming sometime in February, but is it likely to hit this week? Or 3 weeks from now?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
whenever they want really; they spread releases throughout the month

you get preorder prices right through to the end of the month though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IceAgeComing posted:

whenever they want really; they spread releases throughout the month

you get preorder prices right through to the end of the month though

Eh, its not the price that concerns me...I just want more John Hurt in my ears.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Personally, I feel Doctor Who could use a little less whimsy. I'm not asking for some stupid overly serious DC comics treatment here, but every time the music lifts and the leads smile at each other I feel the need to roll my eyes straight through the back of my skull.

I like the whimsy. And the last two seasons have had enough darkness in them.

Jerusalem posted:

Keep in mind that Broadchurch is the BEST thing he has ever done. And I don't mean that to drat the first season of Broadchurch, because I think it is excellent (and as noted, the casting is superb), but he has never done anything as good as that before or since, and that sadly includes the second season of Broadchurch.

It does seem that everything was just running on the right cylinders for him that first season. I think the subject matter just catered to his writing strengths. I just finished the first season and I can't imagine why anyone thought a second season would be a good idea. I'm tempted to just stop, and I almost never do that.

Chibnall might do better writing for film, actually. Something sort of limited and contained. In Torchwood and Doctor Who, his biggest flaws always came out when it seemed that he was trying to understand and engage with genre, and it seems like he's doing pale imitations of somebody else's style when he does. I haven't seen Law and Order: UK, but I can imagine how it might be similar there. Maybe I'll put a few episodes on in the background sometime while I'm doing something.

Maybe we'll be lucky and he'll focus his efforts on the showrunning and write one or two episodes a year, and employ a lot of talent for the rest of the teleplays.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

that sadly includes the second season of Broadchurch.

The first episode of the second season of Broadchurch ticked me off so much I didn't bother watching the rest.

Of course I also don't think he stuck the landing in the first season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really enjoyed the first series if Broadchurch and then the second one was just awful. I'm honestly shocked that Tennant is doing a third go from the bad reviews and ratings the 2nd year got.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I liked the second season of Broadchurch just fine. It wasn't as amazing as the first, but it was compelling enough and I liked the characters and enjoyed seeing more of their lives. Their hosed up, broken lives. :allears:

L&O:UK is a procedural, with all that entails, and apparently a lot of the episodes are straight up remakes of US stories with powdered wigs. I don't like procedurals, and never watched any of the US L&Os so I wouldn't know.

That said, it was a must see for me because of all the Doctor Who and BSG alums that were in it. Best era was the beginning with Ronnie and Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) but I liked it all. It's a shame that so many actors came and went, but I suppose that's how the US shows (and real workplaces) are.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Season 2 of Broadchurch was bad except for whenever they let Olivia Colman act. The scene where she yelled at her son in an attempt to wrest back control over her life was pretty great.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yes

2house2fly posted:

OK hear me out on this one.

What about...

Every member of the cast of Black Books

YES

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

Season 2 of Broadchurch was bad except for whenever they let Olivia Colman act.

Yeah, but that's kinda cheating because you have to work extraordinarily hard to get a bad performance out of Olivia Colman.

The second season had a lot of problems, but the most galling were the trial scenes. There was a ton of potential there, but the scenes were just laughably bad and made everybody involved look like idiots. That said, I feel like he did a pretty great job writing the wrap-up to that plotline with his victims confronting him and exiling him from the town, and just utterly refusing to listen to any of his pathetic, insincere justifications and recriminations. It's just a shame that everything leading up to that moment was so bad.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rhyno posted:

Honestly, I disagree. Neverwhere hasnt aged massively well (and had a budget of about 17p and whatever they could steal from the BBC costume department recycling bin) but I still think its worth a watch. I'd put it almost on par with the book and better than the comic adaptation. Never listened to the radio adaptation because as much as I like Neverwhere there is a limit to how many formats I want to experience the story in. I would admit that growing up watching low budget BBC kids TV may be a prerequisite to enjoy the TV version of Neverwhere without being put off by the fact it looks kind of lovely in general because it was shot on video. Apparently it was lit to be put through some sort of film-simulating process but then they for some reason decided not to bother. Probably because that 17p had finally run out.

And if they had Patterson Joseph playing The Doctor EXACTLY like the Marquis de Carabas I would be bang alongside that idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, in my 8th Doctor Catch Up, I finally got out of the Divergent Universe. Time for Terror Firma! I hear some people consider it a classic!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Well, in my 8th Doctor Catch Up, I finally got out of the Divergent Universe.

:woop:

jivjov posted:

Time for Terror Firma!

:negative:

The cliffhanger leading into Terror Firma was so perfect and had me so excited. Then we got what we got..... :sigh:

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how I stumbled on this but unless they do something terrible this may eat my money. I mean I've resisted the LEGO set so far but if there's a half decent game here then I fear I'm lost.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really need to start reading through the rest of the Eighth Doctor Adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Well, in my 8th Doctor Catch Up, I finally got out of the Divergent Universe. Time for Terror Firma! I hear some people consider it a classic!

I'd put it up there with Medicinal Purposes!

• Locked thread