Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McSpanky posted:

I hope not because GMOs have been a thing for like 20 years, if the original X-Files run lasted much longer they probably would've done an episode about alien hybrid corn or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've seen the original movie like 4 times and it is seriously one of the most forgettable films I've ever seen, the only parts I remember are:

-Martin Landau
-Bees
-Spaceship in the ice

I couldn't tell you a single loving thing that happens outside of that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ Haha yeah, pretty much that

Jack Gladney posted:

I think that was the plot of the first movie, actually.

I swear I saw the movie but I don't remember a corn thing whatsoever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They're growing acres of corn outside the bee tents. Mulder and Scully run through them away from black helicopters. I think the idea was that the virus bees would use the corn to spread the virus through pollination or something? :confused:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're growing acres of corn outside the bee tents. Mulder and Scully run through them away from black helicopters. I think the idea was that the virus bees would use the corn to spread the virus through pollination or something? :confused:

Yup. The bee thing seems like such a big part of the conspiracy but I think its only brought up like once or twice in some later episodes?

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

Where...are her pants?

I'm super excited about this episode.
Monsters and Mulder rants and a little fun.
This is how I like my X-Files.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's weird, every now and then the episodes on Netflix have a scene or a frame that's back in the old lovely resolution instead of crisp HD. It's usually an FX-heavy shot or an extreme close-up. I know it's not my connection because there's no artifacting and the transition from SD to HD is instantaneous. Did Fox cheap out on the restoration? Is it like this on the blu-rays?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I don't know how it compares exactly to the Netflix versions, but on the Blu-Rays there is the occasional shot that is in SD. I assume this is more due to limitations of the source material than laziness.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's only on shots that have complex cgi effects. The original effects were done to the SD video, not directly to the film. It would be prohibitively expensive to redo the effects in HD. Where they could they overlaid the cgi portions of the effects shots over the higher resolution film masters but sometimes (like when shots were framed for 4:3 instead of 16:9 and cropping of the top and bottom were required) they couldn't do that.

The font changes on these remasters bother me more than anything and that's embarrassing.

Doesn't bother me enough to not think the remastered episodes are awesome though.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 1, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sounds like the same issues they had with the TNG remasters. That said, I'd rather have the existing HD transfers at $25/season instead of TNG's $50/season thanks to countless FX rebuilds.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I watch on amazon but I doubt it's different. I noticed that a lot of the establishing shots are in SD, probably because it was stock footage or the they were shot on video to save money. Obviously they're not sending anyone out to do re-shoots 20 years later for that stuff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GutBomb posted:

It's only on shots that have complex cgi effects. The original effects were done to the SD video, not directly to the film. It would be prohibitively expensive to redo the effects in HD. Where they could they overlaid the cgi portions of the effects shots over the higher resolution film masters but sometimes (like when shots were framed for 4:3 instead of 16:9 and cropping of the top and bottom were required) they couldn't do that.

The font changes on these remasters bother me more than anything and that's embarrassing.

Doesn't bother me enough to not think the remastered episodes are awesome though.

Please tell me I can find before/after screenshots of the font changes. Preferably accompanied by pages of rambling about how they'll keep the DVDs, thank you very much. I understand the problem, but ultimately, who cares? I can see Jose Chung in HD now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's just a thing people notice, goddamn dude.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hmm this episode is set in Maine, I wonder who wrote it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How many episodes did not involve paranormal stuff at all? I know there was the one with the serial killer who fixated on women's hair, and there were a couple with lone gunmen or just mulder that were more just general government conspiracy. Also you can stretch the definition farther and say stuff like "Jersey Devil" counts because technically it is a somewhat believable idea that doesn't require anything outside our understanding of science.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the Millennium episode Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me tonight, to get pumped up for more Darin Morgan tomorrow... that episode is so good, but really, the visual gag of Uzi-toting Greys storming in on an alien autopsy is an idea hilarious enough that I want to see a whole episode about it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

How many episodes did not involve paranormal stuff at all? I know there was the one with the serial killer who fixated on women's hair, and there were a couple with lone gunmen or just mulder that were more just general government conspiracy. Also you can stretch the definition farther and say stuff like "Jersey Devil" counts because technically it is a somewhat believable idea that doesn't require anything outside our understanding of science.

How did you not name the episode where the monsters were just horrifically inbred rednecks.

Home, man. Shivers.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

That first episode you mentioned about women's hair ended up being explicitly about the supernatural when he came back for a sequel.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Drive isn't paranormal, it's a DoD experiment that caused a brain tumour. Same with Eve.

Ice is sort of not paranormal since it could be just parasites, I think Mulder says extraterrestrial parasites but really it's just a bunch of people getting sick with a virus/disease so it doesn't matter. Agua Mala is the same way

F. Emasculata is just a disease like Ebola.

I think Grotesque ended up just being a bunch of murders by a crazy person. Same with Hell Money I think?

Kill Switch is just a William Gibson cyberpunk story.

The Goldberg Variation is just a guy getting very very lucky.

And Je Souhaite of course, because it's just a genie.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 1, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Possibly the Jodie Foster tattoo one. And that weird-rear end one that Gillian Anderson directed with all the Enya and Moby. And the one where Mulder trips on horse tranquilizer and almost shoots his mom.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Just rewatched Pine Bluff Variant, put it on the list

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
What was the one where iirc nothing bad really happens but Mulder fucks a vampire?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

What was the one where iirc nothing bad really happens but Mulder fucks a vampire?

That was 3 which was very boring and hard to follow. Although bad stuff does happen since like 3 people died.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Depending on how you interpret them, Jose Chung and War of the Coprophages might not have any paranormal stuff.

Again depending, the episode with the lake monster, since A) the lake monster is only seen in the last few seconds, and B) all the stuff in the episode was really just being done by a hoaxer and/or alligator and had nothing to do with the monster.

Darkness Falls was just prehistoric fireflies.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

piratepilates posted:

That was 3 which was very boring and hard to follow. Although bad stuff does happen since like 3 people died.

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs I guess :toot:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

piratepilates posted:

That episode somehow felt longer than the two movies combine, my god.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Depending on how you interpret them, Jose Chung and War of the Coprophages might not have any paranormal stuff.

Again depending, the episode with the lake monster, since A) the lake monster is only seen in the last few seconds, and B) all the stuff in the episode was really just being done by a hoaxer and/or alligator and had nothing to do with the monster.

Darkness Falls was just prehistoric fireflies.

The cockroaches in War of the Coprophages were made of some kind of weirdo metal and they were too advanced to be recognized by that professor. It was heavily implied they were like alien cockroaches or some poo poo.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

That episode somehow felt longer than the two movies combine, my god.

I don't know if it really was but I remember just being terrible visual quality, like a very low budget movie from the 90s.

It really just had nothing going for it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are worse episodes for sure, but they never felt that glacially paced.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

piratepilates posted:

The cockroaches in War of the Coprophages were made of some kind of weirdo metal and they were too advanced to be recognized by that professor. It was heavily implied they were like alien cockroaches or some poo poo.

I think they were just cockroaches, and it seems like an advanced metal because it's not actually metal

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
No topical point was ever broached more awkwardly on The X-Files than that scene in "3" where Mulder is hanging out in a club with Vampire Follower Lady and she goes to put a bloody finger in his mouth and he recoils, stating simply: "AIDS."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What do we think about Jo Jo the Dog-Faced Boy and the Jim Rose Lollapalooza sideshow? The Enigma was a real dude.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

What do we think about Jo Jo the Dog-Faced Boy and the Jim Rose Lollapalooza sideshow? The Enigma was a real dude.

Detaching murderous conjoined twin.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I guess anything with a cryptid type creature that doesn't do something too unbelievable counts as non paranormal.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm keeping a running tally of OJ jokes

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The Amazing Maleeni is just sleight of hand.

Which by the way I just watched and jesus the smugness of the magicians is almost unbearable. Also it kind of ends on a weird note with the guy almost pulling off some EFT scam with just a badge number and a fingerprint? And Mulder doesn't seem to care that he was almost implicated in this?

edit: Watching The Goldberg Variation now and apparently it is set in Chicago, yet when he's being thrown off the roof in the beginning you can see that really distinctive skyscraper in Los Angeles in the background :confused:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One of the biggest recurring crimes of the show is that even when the answer isn't supernatural, Scully often still doesn't get to be right about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There's also the episode where the gender-shifting amish alien person hypnotises Scully with pheromones and after Mulder has to pull the guy off her, he takes the time to admonish her for letting it happen.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The general pattern is that in the Mythology episodes Mulder is an overeager idiot and gets conked over the head by men in black, and in the Monster episodes Scully is always wrong and gets conked over the head by werepeople.

Also, on this latest rewatch I'm really noticing how easily 30% of episodes of the show are "someone is taking revenge from BEYOND THE GRAVE and Mulder and Scully really can't do poo poo to stop it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just rewatched Fire (1x12) which was pretty cool because the villain is awesome, but what the hell was his motivation? Why was he burning members of the aristocracy alive? And why was there that painting of the dude's wife in the Massachusetts house when they get there?

Is he A) lusting over the wives, B) painting portraits of them, then C) burning the husbands? If so, how come we never see part A or B of that? Apart from one throwaway line about love letters.

Also, what happened to the family's driver? He just drank some tainted cough syrup, but then his skin went all melty.

• Locked thread