Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PBS Newshour posted:

This isn't elitism its having an opinion
is your opinion better than others'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

my thing now is just calling every video game a baby game for babies, even the ones i like

i haven't done it much here yet, but make sure to note that in your pbs canon wiki

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

kaschei posted:

mine def is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amoeba102 posted:

Give us the newshour on how things changed in Elder Scrolls. I forget how it used to be.

A lot of the feeling and atmosphere in Morrowind isn't just created by its setting and story, which is what you typically hear about when comparing it to the new games, but also its systems. The systems actually helped i a lot of ways to reinforce your feeling of being an outsider and a stranger to the land.

I am not saying making things user accessible is bad per say, but it defeintly is when its at the expense of gutting out makes so much of the game work, and also what they replaced poo poo with really isn't much better which makes it even more indefensible.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is a dumb argument, and every time I hear someone arguing against accessibility in games, it inevitably comes down to "gently caress you for having fun, fun is only allowed for people who are willing to devote literally all their time to learning how to break complicated systems."

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

A lot of the feeling and atmosphere in Morrowind isn't just created by its setting and story, which is what you typically hear about when comparing it to the new games, but also its systems. The systems actually helped i a lot of ways to reinforce your feeling of being an outsider and a stranger to the land.

I am not saying making things user accessible is bad per say, but it defeintly is when its at the expense of gutting out makes so much of the game work, and also what they replaced poo poo with really isn't much better which makes it even more indefensible.

Which systems specifically, and how did they change?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also Oblivion is so much worse than Skyrim for the simple reason that there is no real exploration, you have like the whole map available the moment you get out on your own, you just warp to the next plot point, kill a dude, warp again, etc.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I felt very heroic swinging a big polearm through a crab and missing it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Allen Wren posted:

This is a dumb argument, and every time I hear someone arguing against accessibility in games, it inevitably comes down to "gently caress you for having fun, fun is only allowed for people who are willing to devote literally all their time to learning how to break complicated systems."

Again accessibility is terrible when he removes interesting aspect of games. You can do it smartly, or you can be lazy like Bethesda.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kaschei posted:

I felt very heroic swinging a big polearm through a crab and missing it

Game systems are not just combat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What did they take away that ruined your life forever?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kaschei posted:

duh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only good loving game is elevator action

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Also Oblivion is so much worse than Skyrim for the simple reason that there is no real exploration, you have like the whole map available the moment you get out on your own, you just warp to the next plot point, kill a dude, warp again, etc.
Being able to get places isn't the same as not being able to explore them though

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amoeba102 posted:

Which systems specifically, and how did they change?

I see you dodging this question capps.

also only suckers fast travel everywhere in bethesda games. I never fast travel. I also download mods that make me eat food and get sleepy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Exploration and npc interaction

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

I see you dodging this question capps.

also only suckers fast travel everywhere in bethesda games. I never fast travel. I also download mods that make me eat food and get sleepy.
a glutton for punishment

PBS Newshour posted:

Exploration and npc interaction
S'wit

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I remember liking games where you had to type keywords in and see if NPCs responded and like 25% of gameplay was typing in the same keywords to every NPC you could reach and then typing all the keywords they gave you back at all the other NPCs

Morrowind helpfully streamlined this so you can click on the keywords instead

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

kaschei posted:

a glutton for punishment

old news

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kaschei posted:

I remember liking games where you had to type keywords in and see if NPCs responded and like 25% of gameplay was typing in the same keywords to every NPC you could reach and then typing all the keywords they gave you back at all the other NPCs

Morrowind helpfully streamlined this so you can click on the keywords instead

its so much better than everyone telling you their life story.

somehow morrowind creates more interesting characters reusing generic dialogue than the later skyrim games. its amazing

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I tried playing Morrowind, and I couldn't because it literally was the ugliest video game ever. People complain about games being nothing but brown and grey now? MW looked like somebody took a shot made of dust on my screen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like i consider elitism in art to be saying something is dumb because you are smarter than it. that is seems to be elitism to me because you are saying you are better than the thing you are judging and all things must be judge against yourself.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think it was p. bad... but there's a boat from Khuul, if you have any reason to go.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just somehow accidentally friended keane on facebook

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

One thing that bothers me about Elder scrolls is that the Dwarves are actually just Elves. There are so many types of elves, and a few types of humans, but the other interesting races are just the one type. Orcs, cat people and lizard people are just homogeneous. But there are 3 playable elf races with however many other -mers out there, and 4? playable human races.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like i didn't accept his request I think I accidentally sent him one somehow by misclicking oh god

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

i just somehow accidentally friended keane on facebook

It's not what it's cracked up to be.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also when i am talking about systems i mean how the mechanics interact with you as a player, which people seem to be getting confused and are talking about mechanics instead

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amoeba102 posted:

One thing that bothers me about Elder scrolls is that the Dwarves are actually just Elves. There are so many types of elves, and a few types of humans, but the other interesting races are just the one type. Orcs, cat people and lizard people are just homogeneous. But there are 3 playable elf races with however many other -mers out there, and 4? playable human races.

*snort* well technically...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in a way it seems like accessibility is just a selling point now, like exploding kittens is a poo poo game with poo poo systems and poo poo mechanics but because its incredibly accessible people think its better than the stuff they think most board games are because its more accessible and they are playing games with friends and not realizing friends is fun not game... hmmm

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

*snort* well technically...

Well yeah, orcs are elves too. Just like in Tolkien's work.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Video games

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And the Breton's are half elves.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Butt stuff is super awesome though

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

PBS Newshour posted:

Like i didn't accept his request I think I accidentally sent him one somehow by misclicking oh god

I accept all requests, for I am Christ like.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

I accept all requests, for I am Christ like.

wow ecco literally thinks he's god big surprise there

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

in a way it seems like accessibility is just a selling point now, like exploding kittens is a poo poo game with poo poo systems and poo poo mechanics but because its incredibly accessible people think its better than the stuff they think most board games are because its more accessible and they are playing games with friends and not realizing friends is fun not game... hmmm

This is what all your arguments boil down to.

"You're having fun wrong!"
:qqsay:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 27, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

This is what all your arguments boil down to.

"You're having fun wrong!"
:qqsay:

No it isn't.

Having a fun experience with a lovely board game doesn't stop it from making a lovely board game, but I am not saying that experience is completely invalid, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A couple of opinions on the last bunch of posts:

Daggerfall is the only true Elder Scrolls game. I remember having some bad rear end Khajiit character and got sad when I turned into I believe it was the wereboar. It's been a while, but I don't think I ever found the cure and ended up quitting the game.

PBS Newshour posted:

the only good loving game is elevator action

This is true.