Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

3 months is a long time, after 1 month the flavor of vermouth changes quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

3 months is a long time, after 1 month the flavor of vermouth changes quite a bit.

That's a common belief, but theres a really interesting write up on vermouth storage on serious eats and concluded that vermouth's flavor really doesn't change in that short a time frame when kept cold.

E: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/best-way-to-store-vermouth-for-cocktails-fridge-vs-winesaver-rebottling.html

I realize one test isn't the end all be all, but the takeaway is 'vermouth lasts a long time when kept in a fridge.

My last post was also just kind of a joke about how I go through a lot of vermouth

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 28, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Are Seville Oranges available yet? I was considering tackling DIY Triple Sec. Or the Seville Orange punch.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Booyah- posted:

If you use a vactop it can easily last 3 months refrigerated.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Don't use vacuum tops for wine, if you are crazy and need to preserve it get a neutral gas infusor, but vacuums encourage offgassing, which has a non-zero impact on flavor.

Also yeah, vermouth is definitely fine for a couple months. I remember there were crazy people 6 or 7 years ago saying things like "Once opened, vermouth should last 5-7 days in the fridge."
Lol

Comb Your Beard posted:

Are Seville Oranges available yet? I was considering tackling DIY Triple Sec. Or the Seville Orange punch.

They're available in my market! Already made the first orange punch of the year!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Limmers punch has never failed to disappear by night's end. I made a handle's worth for about 15 people and it all went. Everyone got poo poo housed and had a great time. I love punch.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Went out to a family dinner and our waitress complimented my order and told me she liked my style when I requested a Campari and soda. It's the little things in life that keep me going.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Someone finally named my end of night boilermaker- Elijah Craig in pink bubbles- el sucio. I like it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
My own side-by-side tastings of Dolin fresh vs. a few months old in the fridge show that they taste very different, but they're both good, so :shrug:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Limmers punch has never failed to disappear by night's end. I made a handle's worth for about 15 people and it all went. Everyone got poo poo housed and had a great time. I love punch.

That is exactly right.

tynam
May 14, 2007
I got a party coming up and with the success of the previous Pinkhouse Punch, I'm going to give Limmer's a shot. For the orange blossom syrup, I'm assuming it's 2 parts water to 1 part sugar? I've never really made simple syrup before and always just used regular sugar. I'm also guessing I can just use around 3/4oz sugar : 1 oz simple instead and just toss in the blossom water?

Also if any of you cocktail goons live around Orange County, check out Central Bar at The District in Tustin (inside the Union Market). I've always bitched about not having quality bars around here, up until I found this place. It's like a rich goon stocked the liquor - it has nearly everything I've ever wanted, and all their juices/mixers are either handmade or high quality. The bartenders also take pride in what they do and going off menu is more fun for them than it is for you. The only downside is that it gets insanely busy on Friday/weekend nights, so the best time to go is as early as possible or weekdays. The quality dips a bit when it gets busy, but the attention to detail is maxxed out when it's just a few people at the bar.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The syrup is 2 parts sugar 1 part water. I do recommend making the syrup rather than just calculating the sugar and adding the orange blossom water directly to the punch. It's easier to adjust a volume of syrup than to adjust a bowl of punch.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I had a cocktail at Pasqual's the other day that was really good, but they don't share their recipes and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea how to prepare it. It's a tequila cocktail called the Dark and Dusky and the ingredients are:
Anejo tequila
Smoked brown sugar
Grand Marnier
Citrus

I don't know what sort of citrus it was, but I really enjoyed it especially because the tequila flavor came through, it wasn't buried under the mixers. Any ideas on how this might have been prepared?

JohnClark fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 2, 2016

tynam
May 14, 2007

JohnClark posted:

I had a cocktail at Pasqual's the other day that was really good, but they don't share their recipes and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea how to prepare it. It's a tequila cocktail called the Dark and Dusky and the ingredients are:
Anejo tequila
Smoked brown sugar
Grand Marnier
Citrus

I don't know what sort of citrus it was, but I really enjoyed it especially because the tequila flavor came through, it wasn't buried under the mixers. Any ideas on how this might have been prepared?

Sounds like a pretty standard margarita? 2oz tequila, 1 oz grand marnier, 1 oz lime juice. I'm going to guess the sugar was used to coat the rim of the glass instead of being used inside the drink. They probably used a high quality anejo for the cocktail if the tequila flavor came through as distinctly as you said, since margaritas are typically made with blanco instead.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Well, I just had my first ever martini, per Death & Co's recipe. How the gently caress did people used to drink these at lunch and go back to work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wachter posted:

Well, I just had my first ever martini, per Death & Co's recipe. How the gently caress did people used to drink these at lunch and go back to work.

Practice every day.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is a really stupid question. How do you do lime juice? I mean, use a juicer thing, the little handheld round thing, and then into a bowl, then measure from that? Just squeeze with hands, into something that can measure an ounce? Use some specialty tool?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I use something like this
The juice collects in that jug for easy pouring, and I seem to get a shitton more juice per fruit,

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

silvergoose posted:

This is a really stupid question. How do you do lime juice? I mean, use a juicer thing, the little handheld round thing, and then into a bowl, then measure from that? Just squeeze with hands, into something that can measure an ounce? Use some specialty tool?

For small volumes (one or two fruit) you only need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-42863-Enameled/dp/B00KH9PZB8

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thanks. Want to start making last words, and that's a whole lot more lime than gin and tonics.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Kind of a long shot but is there anywhere in Kansas city that serves high quality cocktails?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

For small volumes (one or two fruit) you only need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-42863-Enameled/dp/B00KH9PZB8

I use one of these, I just squeeze it directly above my jigger. Super easy to use + clean.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I use to have something very much like this, and will probably get around to buying another one eventually. I foolishly left it in the drawer of a beach cottage I was renting.

That was the weekend when a large group of my friends traveled down in waves (some going Friday, some Saturday) and the first group got the bright idea to stop and buy fruit from all the farmer's markets that were about to close for the season. Come the last couple days, we had a lot of very ripe fruit that wouldn't even have fit in our cars if we wanted to take it home.

I said "We have lemons and limes, we have bananas, we have peaches, we have rum, we have vanilla vodka, we have a blender..."

I've never vomited so many different colours before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cocktail thread: I've never vomited so many colours before

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm blessed with one of these bad boys at work :cool:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Booyah- posted:

But yeah if you're just makin drinks at home this will suffice

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

tynam posted:

Sounds like a pretty standard margarita? 2oz tequila, 1 oz grand marnier, 1 oz lime juice. I'm going to guess the sugar was used to coat the rim of the glass instead of being used inside the drink. They probably used a high quality anejo for the cocktail if the tequila flavor came through as distinctly as you said, since margaritas are typically made with blanco instead.

I disagree. I'd like to know more about how the drink was served. An oz of grand Marnier will absolutely hide the tequila, especially if it's an añejo. I would guess its more like a sidecar, i.e. shaken and served up, smoked sugar rim like you say. 1.5 oz añejo, .75 or so each of lime and GM, sugar rim.

Edit: I'd also like to mention I dislike the "not sharing recipes" idea on principle. I've handwritten recipes and prep instructions multiple times for guests. It's just a loving drink.

Edit 2: I guess the real secret is how they smoke the sugar. I had a great applejack/bourbon smoked Brown sugar cocktail in Santa Barbara once a few years ago, and I still haven't bothered to research how one goes about smoking sugar. I could honestly barely pick up on the smokiness. If I were to recreate the OP's drink at home (or work), I'd do 1.5 oz decent (but not great - we are shaking after all) añejo, splash of decent mezcal, .75 oz lime, .5 grand Marnier, splash of agave nectar, shake, strain, coupe, sip. Maybe a cilantro leaf garnish or something like that. Agave will give the same richness as brown sugar, and mezcal will give the smokiness, and you can avoid the sugar rim. Probably dash some Regan's no 6 orange bitters for complexity too because why not.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 4, 2016

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Thanks. Want to start making last words, and that's a whole lot more lime than gin and tonics.

The handheld ones mentioned are great. Be sure to get one like the orange one that was linked - it's big enough to hold half an orange, so you can probably fit 2 lime halves. Fresh squeezed will keep for a couple days so I'd get limes (heavier the better, not necessarily greener), cut em in half, juice em through a sieve (to strain the pulp) into a measuring glass, pour into a jigger from there, and reach cocktail heaven. Be sure to check back with your preferred Last Word gin.

Also, zest your limes first, chop the zest, and macerate in sugar for a day. Add lime juice equal to volume of sugar and a splash of gin, stir to dissolve sugar, and make bomb rear end gimlets with your new lime syrup and a splash of fresh lime juice.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Edit 2: I guess the real secret is how they smoke the sugar. I had a great applejack/bourbon smoked Brown sugar cocktail in Santa Barbara once a few years ago, and I still haven't bothered to research how one goes about smoking sugar. I could honestly barely pick up on the smokiness. If I were to recreate the OP's drink at home (or work), I'd do 1.5 oz decent (but not great - we are shaking after all) añejo, splash of decent mezcal, .75 oz lime, .5 grand Marnier, splash of agave nectar, shake, strain, coupe, sip. Maybe a cilantro leaf garnish or something like that. Agave will give the same richness as brown sugar, and mezcal will give the smokiness, and you can avoid the sugar rim. Probably dash some Regan's no 6 orange bitters for complexity too because why not.

If I were at home id probably just put the espelón in a glass and drink it honestly

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Looking at those presses again, apparently the one similar to the one I used to own has problems with breaking. I want to replace my cheap one because I once had one of those zinc ones snap in my hands. Is it worth getting a stainless steel one? Can anyone recommend a good pro-quality one? (To the extent that squeezing limes for drinks one at a time is "professional." I just want one that'll let me squeeze the everliving gently caress out of limes and lemons and never break.)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

Really though just get this

Since we're talking gear: The missing chunk of my thumb will also attest that these: http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Or...hn+rikon+peeler are the best peelers

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Maestro posted:

The handheld ones mentioned are great. Be sure to get one like the orange one that was linked - it's big enough to hold half an orange, so you can probably fit 2 lime halves. Fresh squeezed will keep for a couple days so I'd get limes (heavier the better, not necessarily greener), cut em in half, juice em through a sieve (to strain the pulp) into a measuring glass, pour into a jigger from there, and reach cocktail heaven. Be sure to check back with your preferred Last Word gin.

Also, zest your limes first, chop the zest, and macerate in sugar for a day. Add lime juice equal to volume of sugar and a splash of gin, stir to dissolve sugar, and make bomb rear end gimlets with your new lime syrup and a splash of fresh lime juice.

Saving this in an email because holy poo poo a wealth of information in two short paragraphs.

I was going to try both of my current gins first, see which I like better, then probably buy a different gin since how can I only try two?

Ethereal from Berkshire Distillery in MA, and the Kirkland gin that I use in G&Ts, it probably won't make the best last word but I might as well see how it goes. My wife is getting me chartreuse and maraschino for valentine's day. :v:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

If I were at home id probably just put the espelón in a glass and drink it honestly

Yea me too. I make drinks at work, I drink spirits at home.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Yea me too. I make drinks at work, I drink spirits at home.

yeah I'll make my gf a drink or make stuff if I have friends over sometimes but I keep buying bottles and bar tools for my house and I just can't will myself to do anything fancier than drink liquor out of a glass. honestly I can't think of the last time I've even had more than a couple ice cubes in a tray

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

yeah I'll make my gf a drink or make stuff if I have friends over sometimes but I keep buying bottles and bar tools for my house and I just can't will myself to do anything fancier than drink liquor out of a glass. honestly I can't think of the last time I've even had more than a couple ice cubes in a tray

lol same here man. So nice having a barback to wash my dishes and having all the syrups and juices just ready to go. It's why I've been thinking about just mixing up a huge batched cocktail so I can sip on that at home at least.

In other news, I have been putting in some long days this week getting the winter/spring menu ready. Drops on Monday. So excited. Then I have until April to get the full on spring menu ready. Good god.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly wouldn't mind reading what that menu is, if you can share it (presumably after it drops, that is).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Had an aviation tonight, it was awesome. I was surprised how sweet it was. And next week I get to go back and not have to worry about driving.

Actually, how about suggestions of what to get? I like manhattans/rob roys, sidecars, French 75s, G&Ts, and gimlets. I like negronis, but I felt like the boulevardier was too complicated and heavy. I'm definitely going to order a Last Word.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I am almost finished with a cocktail I've been working on. It's going to go through another iteration with Holland gin instead of dry gin, but I'm not sure it will be an improvement. The first iteration was thyme infused vodka, which was boring.

1.5 Oz Thyme infused Gin (Beefeater 24)
.75 Quince Syrup
.75 Dolin Blanc

Stir/Strain/Coupe/Bruised thyme sprig garnish

I'm calling it Quince Upon a Thyme :smugdog:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm calling it Quince Upon a Thyme :smugdog:

No.

No.

Bad Fart Car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Wachepti posted:

Kind of a long shot but is there anywhere in Kansas city that serves high quality cocktails?

I had a couple good ones at Gram & Dun, and if you want to go to the westside, Novel & Westside Local have some good ones too.

The Maestro posted:

Edit 2: I guess the real secret is how they smoke the sugar. I had a great applejack/bourbon smoked Brown sugar cocktail in Santa Barbara once a few years ago, and I still haven't bothered to research how one goes about smoking sugar. I could honestly barely pick up on the smokiness.

Maybe you could cold smoke it with something like this:

http://wao.bigcartel.com/product/smoker-by-francesco-sillitti

cryme fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 5, 2016