Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gitro posted:

The little icon changes in Darkest Dungeon as you upgrade weapons or armour or buy a bigger food stack are neat. You go from shabby looking poo poo to impressive magic swords or higher quality skullcandles with glowing red eyes.

The way the background sounds get steadily more apparent/intimidating as the torchlight dies down is great, too. Subtle enough that I didn't notice it for a while, but it really ramps up once you drop under 50 light.

Similarly, once you enter the Darkest Dungeon keep an eye out on environmental cues and graphics in the hub town. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
In Dragon's Dogma I was doing a quest that took me to a mountain fortress occupied by a group of "misandrist bandits". They were, of course, strawman feminists who would attack any man on sight. My main pawn (helper) is a dude, so I couldn't attempt talking to the bandit leader without being assaulted. The whole thing was quite absurd, but the great little thing is how I had to get rid of my pawn.

Since you can't dismiss a pawn while out in the field, and I'd made my pawn a tiny little weirdo, I just picked him up and threw him off the mountain.

Short version: I threw a midget off a mountain just so I could talk to a misandrist bandit.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ElectricWizard posted:

In Dragon's Dogma I was doing a quest that took me to a mountain fortress occupied by a group of "misandrist bandits". They were, of course, strawman feminists who would attack any man on sight. My main pawn (helper) is a dude, so I couldn't attempt talking to the bandit leader without being assaulted. The whole thing was quite absurd, but the great little thing is how I had to get rid of my pawn.

Since you can't dismiss a pawn while out in the field, and I'd made my pawn a tiny little weirdo, I just picked him up and threw him off the mountain.

Short version: I threw a midget off a mountain just so I could talk to a misandrist bandit.

My favorite Dragon's Dogma thing I've seen so far is someone who named their character after MLB pitcher Randy Johnson and made their pawn a human baseball (tiny white dude with red mohawk and mustache for the stitching) and played the game by just throwing him at everything. When they weren't throwing everyone else off cliffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbKrlJgwI4A

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ElectricWizard posted:

You can also just dress all your dudes up like ladies with the dresses the Black Cat sells (also works with mercedes' armor because it has ornamental boob-armor bits and I think Selene's dress if you've beat speedrun mode). I heard from a friend, but I didn't think to confirm it myself, that if you have visible facial hair like moustaches (why wouldn't you???) she sees through your disguise so be sure to visit the barber too!

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Jan 30, 2016

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite Dragon's Dogma thing I've seen so far is someone who named their character after MLB pitcher Randy Johnson and made their pawn a human baseball (tiny white dude with red mohawk and mustache for the stitching) and played the game by just throwing him at everything. When they weren't throwing everyone else off cliffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbKrlJgwI4A

This is a proclick right here. "Run guy run there's a wolf down there! Just don't lead them up--aw dammit"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Babe Magnet posted:

You can also just dress all your dudes up like ladies with the dresses the Black Cat sells (also works with mercedes' armor because it has ornamental boob-armor bits and I think Selene's dress if you've beat speedrun mode). I heard from a friend, but I didn't think to confirm it myself, that if you have visible facial hair like moustaches (why wouldn't you???) she sees through your disguise so be sure to visit the barber too!

I can assure you, in the console release at least, that bearded ladies are accepted by the bandits.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sick.

Speaking of Speedrun mode I appreciate that the game locks your money and consumables and xp and stuff at the beginning of the run. Like, nothing you use in speedrun mode is carried over to your regular game so you can use all your periapts and blast arrows and wakestones and poo poo all you want and spend all your money and it doesn't matter because that stuff is still all there in your inventory when you get done.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't matter if your pawn looks like hulk hogan, if he's wearing a dress it will fool those bandits.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hey now. They might be misandrist bandits but they're not TERFS!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Replaying SR2 for the nth time.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

HardDisk posted:

Replaying SR2 for the nth time.

Man, I only watched the Break the Build video for the first time a few days ago. I was laughing my rear end off, and I think I'm gonna watch another one later. Good stuff.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I had never heard about that video! I'm going to take a look at it later.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

graybook posted:

Man, I only watched the Break the Build video for the first time a few days ago. I was laughing my rear end off, and I think I'm gonna watch another one later. Good stuff.

You should check out the LP! Kaubocks and Panzer Skank did a fantastic job in destroying that game! It was also recommended by IdolNinja in that Break the Build video.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Will do! I think Saints Row 2 is honestly my favorite game of all time, and from the Break the Build video (which I will now link here for ease of access), I can now share this little thing: One of the animated bits in the game, a hospital curtain, is coded in as a character. And the devs get into antics with that model in the video.
Caution, it's over an hour long. But it's an hour of pure entertainment, especially for those who've played this at least a decent amount.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

Will do! I think Saints Row 2 is honestly my favorite game of all time, and from the Break the Build video (which I will now link here for ease of access), I can now share this little thing: One of the animated bits in the game, a hospital curtain, is coded in as a character. And the devs get into antics with that model in the video.
Caution, it's over an hour long. But it's an hour of pure entertainment, especially for those who've played this at least a decent amount.

I've always been disappointed that the motherfuckin' Pimp Cane hasn't been in any of the newer Saint's Rows :sigh:.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Or the beloved Septic Avenger (for those unfamiliar, a sewage truck you could unlock that allowed you to spray poo poo all over things). But at least they're little things from pre-3 that we love.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Has anyone made a Sewage Truck Simulator yet?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Talos Principle has a fast-forward key. Granted it's not bound to anything by default and was apparently patched in after people complained about certain puzzles that require waiting but it's a feature that every game should have because it's so great being able to just speed through tedious poo poo like walking between levels or waiting for drone patrols to pass.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sleeveless posted:

The Talos Principle has a fast-forward key. Granted it's not bound to anything by default and was apparently patched in after people complained about certain puzzles that require waiting but it's a feature that every game should have because it's so great being able to just speed through tedious poo poo like walking between levels or waiting for drone patrols to pass.

See I think if your game is designed in such a way that people actively want a fast forward button, or you feel the need to include one then maybe you should just rethink how you're designing your game. "Well these long walking segments are too long so instead of just shortening them or making you walk faster, we gave you a fast forward button!" It's like spraying fabreeze on a pile of poo poo a dog left in your room. Sure it doesn't smell right now, but it's still there.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A space butthole or a super powerful god like entity trying to kill me, YOU DECIDE.

Destiny might do a lot of stupid poo poo but the encounters can be quite fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

See I think if your game is designed in such a way that people actively want a fast forward button, or you feel the need to include one then maybe you should just rethink how you're designing your game. "Well these long walking segments are too long so instead of just shortening them or making you walk faster, we gave you a fast forward button!" It's like spraying fabreeze on a pile of poo poo a dog left in your room. Sure it doesn't smell right now, but it's still there.

You're thinking about it from the wrong perspective. It's not a "skip the waiting around for a puzzle to do its thing" button which I can say with relative certainty does not happen at all in The Talos Principle, it's a "get back to where you were in a puzzle after you messed it up faster" button. The fact that you can use it like the former is just an added bonus.

edit: Also you move at fuckin Unreal Tournament speeds in that game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

A space butthole or a super powerful god like entity trying to kill me, YOU DECIDE.

Destiny might do a lot of stupid poo poo but the encounters can be quite fun.

I really need to do more Strikes because they do look fun as hell and the few I've done never take too long. I'm just lazy and posting in the topic to get a goon group is a good idea but :effort:.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CJacobs posted:

You're thinking about it from the wrong perspective. It's not a "skip the waiting around for a puzzle to do its thing" button which I can say with relative certainty does not happen at all in The Talos Principle, it's a "get back to where you were in a puzzle after you messed it up faster" button. The fact that you can use it like the former is just an added bonus.

The puzzles that have moving patrols and so on also need to move slowly enough that you can actually process what's going on, and move to solve it. The fastforward button helps for when you "get it" and can just set it and forget it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

The recorder puzzles do have waiting built in to them since you have to have your recorded self stand around while you get into position and do stuff, and also puzzles with the patrolling drones sometimes require you to wait for them to get into position so you can slip past them and/or jam them, especially the ones built around juggling two that are patrolling a narrow hallway in tandem. Which isn't really a big deal, but like you said the FF ability lets you get over that hump of having figured out how to solve a puzzle but stuck playing through it again and again because you messed up somewhere along the line.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing through Company of Heroes again and the sound design is still one of the best I've ever heard.

My favorite part is all of the unit lines and the fact that after all this time Conrad still hasn't learned how to tie his laces :3:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dunlop, git that weapon loaded.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Eh, good enough for Army work.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Shall ve crush zem...

or shoot zem?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A tank commander saying "Oh no, I think they scratched our paint :mmmhmm:" when coming under small arms fire is still my favorite unit response in any RTS.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Dark Souls: There's an arrow trap at the very entrance of Sen's Fortress. If you follow the path of these arrows (assuming they don't hit you or one of the snake men first), they fly in a perfectly straight line, all the way down the bridge leading to the fortress, through the doorway leading to the bonfire, and then hit the far wall of the bonfire room. On this wall, there are a couple of decals, right at the spot where the arrows hit, some hundred meters from the trap itself. They don't seem to be dynamic either, so some level designed must have actually placed them there. It's such a neat little detail; I must have triggered that trap a hundred times by now, but it never occurred to me to check where the arrows were actually going, let alone where they hit.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

A tank commander saying "Oh no, I think they scratched our paint :mmmhmm:" when coming under small arms fire is still my favorite unit response in any RTS.

I personally like the Baneblade quotes in DOW.

"Who's dying now?"
"I think some fool just shot at us."
"Incoming fire?"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

From Earth posted:

Dark Souls: There's an arrow trap at the very entrance of Sen's Fortress. If you follow the path of these arrows (assuming they don't hit you or one of the snake men first), they fly in a perfectly straight line, all the way down the bridge leading to the fortress, through the doorway leading to the bonfire, and then hit the far wall of the bonfire room. On this wall, there are a couple of decals, right at the spot where the arrows hit, some hundred meters from the trap itself. They don't seem to be dynamic either, so some level designed must have actually placed them there. It's such a neat little detail; I must have triggered that trap a hundred times by now, but it never occurred to me to check where the arrows were actually going, let alone where they hit.

Fuuuuck I don't have my PS3 any more but this post makes me want to make a new character just to check this (and kill Oreo&Milk one more time)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

Dunlop, git that weapon loaded.

Join the army, they said. It'll be fun, they said.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Chard posted:

Fuuuuck I don't have my PS3 any more but this post makes me want to make a new character just to check this (and kill Oreo&Milk one more time)

The PC version goes on sale frequently for very cheap. Succumb to the abyss.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

moosecow333 posted:

I've been playing through Company of Heroes again and the sound design is still one of the best I've ever heard.

My favorite part is all of the unit lines and the fact that after all this time Conrad still hasn't learned how to tie his laces :3:

I think the best one is when you make a British section garrison a church, specifically. "Let's see if Duffy bursts into flames."

Everything the snot-nosed Volksgrenadiers say is gold, too. "Dismount! Fire at anything! FIRE AT EVERYTHING!"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In XCOM Enemy Within there's a status affect called 'panic' where the character will do random actions like fire at the enemy, fire at friendlies, run and hide, or just cower wherever they are. Normally this is reserved for your rookies at the early stages of the game when they're facing the terrifying unknown aliens.

About early-mid stage of the game though you get a flamethrower which in addition to setting the enemy and environment on fire makes them panic like mad. It's almost guaranteed. Even the powerful psychic overlords of the alien forces, the Ethreals, lose their poo poo when set on fire. It's like the ultimate reward to see this evil invading species who enslave other races, invade planets, kidnap subjects for experimentation and consider themselves above physical combat just freak the gently caress out over getting set on fire.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Away all Goats posted:

In XCOM Enemy Within there's a status affect called 'panic' where the character will do random actions like fire at the enemy, fire at friendlies, run and hide, or just cower wherever they are. Normally this is reserved for your rookies at the early stages of the game when they're facing the terrifying unknown aliens.

About early-mid stage of the game though you get a flamethrower which in addition to setting the enemy and environment on fire makes them panic like mad. It's almost guaranteed. Even the powerful psychic overlords of the alien forces, the Ethreals, lose their poo poo when set on fire. It's like the ultimate reward to see this evil invading species who enslave other races, invade planets, kidnap subjects for experimentation and consider themselves above physical combat just freak the gently caress out over getting set on fire.

Flamethrowers are interesting. Any sentient species using flamethrowers probably shouldn't be messed with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Flamethrowers are interesting. Any sentient species using flamethrowers probably shouldn't be messed with.

It's the non-sentient species with flamethrowers that really give me pause.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Subjunctive posted:

It's the non-sentient species with flamethrowers that really give me pause.

Goddamn Fiery Blow-Hogs torching my Pikmin :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Civilization V

Byzantium having her flamethrower ships.