Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

qbert posted:

A girl from Taiwan isn't allowed to identify as Taiwanese? That's controversial?

It is to the PRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Odd to be mad at JYP for the idiocy and zealotry of Chinese nationalists using a 16 year old girl as fodder to rile people up. If she's viewed as a traitor in China she's done with her current career.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
KARA is officially disbanded. Youngji and Yewon should form a duo called "We Joined Groups That Ditched Us"

Someone in GBS posted this gif of T-ara on a Japanese show, and I'm trying to find the video it came from because... the gently caress?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Sacro posted:

Odd to be mad at JYP for the idiocy and zealotry of Chinese nationalists using a 16 year old girl as fodder to rile people up. If she's viewed as a traitor in China she's done with her current career.

The "fun" part of this is the nationalist rear end in a top hat ringleader of the witchhunt was recorded and photographed waving the Taiwanese flag himself. He's a real poo poo for going after a 16 year old girl when he's a giant hypocrite.
Here's a post with a pic of him waving the flag and some of his bullshit nationalism for max annoyance!

http://www.asianjunkie.com/2016/01/16/huang-an-takes-a-victory-lap-over-his-bullying-of-tzuyu-hate-shifts-to-jype/

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
why is this the goto thread for kpop / idol poo poo? most of it is not TV related. it would be nice to be able to talk about kdramas and variety shows and not just obsessing over dumbass scandals about kpop stars. I may not have enough shame to keep me from watching dramas, but i'm still clinging on to enough to not give a poo poo about following abused teenage girls in tight clothing singing bad music

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Last year a lot of this thread watched and discussed "Invisible Man". We're all desperate for reasonable content/discussion.

I may not have enough shame to keep me from watching dramas idols, but i'm still clinging on to enough to not give a poo poo about following abused teenage girls in tight clothing singing bad music pining about oppas.

JYP continues to bury himself : "We are releasing our stance on misconceptions about TWICE's Tzuyu's apology.
Because Tzuyu is underage, we talked with her parents from the beginning about what to do, and we waited until Tzuyu's parents were in Korea.

The label cannot and should not force an individual to think a certain way, and this never happened. Tzuyu's parents came to Korea, talked to Tzuyu, made the decisions, and handled the apology.
As Tzuyu is still working hard, Tzuyu and Tzuyu's parents want this situation to be resolved quickly, and they hope that everyone will support Tzuyu."

Fight! For your kite! fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 18, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bomblol posted:

why is this the goto thread for kpop / idol poo poo? most of it is not TV related. it would be nice to be able to talk about kdramas and variety shows and not just obsessing over dumbass scandals about kpop stars. I may not have enough shame to keep me from watching dramas, but i'm still clinging on to enough to not give a poo poo about following abused teenage girls in tight clothing singing bad music

If people didn't post idol bullshit this thread would be dead. If you want to talk about something, :justpost:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bomblol posted:

There's a tremendous amount of crossover between idols and programming. Out very first thread in TVIV for a Korean program was for a variety show about idols.

Also it was decided by mods that a K-pop thread in NMD would be a bad idea because that forum is apparently full of shitheads or something, so we just stay here and use this thread as a catch-all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The metal thread shits all over Ghost, the only good metal band. Stay out of NMD.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I like MLT, but it's become a slog to get through. Most hosts simply aren't prepared to carry a 2 hour show and the chat only serves to keep things further off track. The producer characters have helped to salvage lot of shows but they have become increasingly shameless. So much of the show is enjoying the awkward funny moments. The makeup artist messing up a producers foundation because of the poor lighting is funny but pointing out that a female producer has a mustache is tasteless. The deliberate nature taints the entire show.

Kim Gura does the same show every time and it's almost guaranteed to be awful.That being said the Dome segment is by far my favorite segment from the show.

The show saw a massive rating boost due to Ahn Jung-hwan's abominable soccer show. It's likely that he'll be around for a while.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is MLT translated anywhere? From a snippet of what I saw on "Infinity Challenge", I'm guessing that the set and format of the show can't change and it's basically a person just riffing on whatever comes to mind. Is that true?

Kim Gura was up for an end of the year television award though, he can't have been considered for the awards just because of the sheer number of shows he's on, right? Maybe he's not your style.

I watched an english subbed "Tasty Guys" episode and cot drat, that's a great show. They totally sold me on their way of making ramen. I wish more of their episodes got subbed.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Viu, a recently launched VOD service provides premium translated content to Singapore and Hong Kong. They translate a whole treasure trove of new shows such as MLT, Same Bed Different Dreams, Radio Star and many others. They also translate a number of popular shows with stronger sub quality. For example, they translated the tongue twisters from the RM Instagram episode. You can use a VPN but kshowonline steals their subs and reposts them within 24h.

MLT is an edited version of five celebrity webcasts. The show can be about anything. Fashion, cooking , baseball, dance and makeup have all been recent topic. The only constant being that most shows stumble out of the starting block and snowball from there.The chefs do pretty well but most other shows are complete trainwrecks. Thankfully the editing is top notch and the producers make great characters so the end show is pretty funny.

I'm kind of mixed on Gura but his webcast is little more than a dry radio show that gets obnoxiously loud. He generally aims toward an older audience with topics that don't translate to foreigners.

http://kshowonline.com/kshow/4271-[engsub]-my-little-television-ep.31 Includes both Jeong Jun-ha and the infamous Twice incident.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I can't stand Gura.. he comes across as such a dick in most of the shows I've seen him in. The good thing about MLT is that the guests change all the time and the bad ones don't really last past a couple of episodes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That new stellar song owns.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That new stellar song owns.

Yeah, I've really been liking their stuff a lot.

Not feeling the new video though. I think it was clever to explore sexuality in a different way than the typical, but foot fetish stuff always makes me feel creeped out.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

So, I've only watched Answer Me 1997 and was pissed at the ending, despite it being okay overall. I knew that 1994 came out, but didn't want to fall for the same trap and skipped it. Then, while there was so much hype over 1988, it turns out that everyone who watched it absolutely hated the ending. I kinda wanted to get back into the Answer Me series, so would it be worth it to watch either of the two series?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What's the chances of something like the Girl of The Wilds manhwa becoming a k-drama? :smith:
Took its time developing everything and everyone and got so goooooooooood (chapter 220)

editing in this: HOLY poo poo CHAPTER 221 I WANT THIS IN K-DRAMA FORM

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 31, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

So, I've only watched Answer Me 1997 and was pissed at the ending, despite it being okay overall. I knew that 1994 came out, but didn't want to fall for the same trap and skipped it. Then, while there was so much hype over 1988, it turns out that everyone who watched it absolutely hated the ending. I kinda wanted to get back into the Answer Me series, so would it be worth it to watch either of the two series?

I liked 1997. Hated 1994. Just watching 1988 now.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

What's the chances of something like the Girl of The Wilds manhwa becoming a k-drama? :smith:
Took its time developing everything and everyone and got so goooooooooood (chapter 220)

I'm not far in but does the story remain so overtly sexual? It's to be expected but it's a bit much for my taste.

Reply 97 : Where can I get better subs? Dramafever is barely passing muster. I stopped when the dad got cancer.

The SM announcements are pretty cool. With TVXQ in the army they need to find a replacement revenue stream.

A song a week sounds pretty reasonable with their talent roster and the chance for collaborations. So many of their idols are buried as is and they desperately need exposure beyond their own fan group. SM had gone somewhat lax on digital but having been pushing against Melon with Genie. It was completely unnecessary to bury Ryeowook with a Taeyeon release.

Not surprised with the NCT concept. It's similar to how SJ got started.

We'll see where the ScreaM EDM label goes but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Shame to see Healing Camp canceled. Kim Jae Dong's political leanings will keep him out of any major network show.

It's nice to see the new girl groups on pretty level footing. Girlfriend has been consistently lucky and Lovelyz are starting to get over as well. Ooh- Ahh charted amazingly well and RV has had solid promotions. I imagine the Producer 101 and other similar variety show groups will also have a solid push and YG's group has to be out someone soon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

TEHJOE posted:

I'm not far in but does the story remain so overtly sexual? It's to be expected but it's a bit much for my taste.

It shapes up, an unfortunate part of "took its time developing" but it remains about welltrained young men and women. If it got adapted for TV it'd be cleaned up giving more time for drama and the viewers getting to know the broken JaeGu, who'd need a top notch actor to convey the internal flurry of emotions blocked by barriers of society and life, rendering him the way he was until late 210s of chapters.

editing in this: HOLY poo poo CHAPTER 221 I WANT THIS IN K-DRAMA FORM

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 31, 2016

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

Some interesting releases from January:

NCT - Synchronization of your dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaVbeIFQIZQ
I like the beat, but there's something up with the vocals (they're way too loud and sound weird). Looking forward to more tracks from them though if this is the sound they're going for.

Zico (feat. Luna) - 사랑이었다 (Zico only produced this which is a blessing because who has the time or patience for his rapping)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mvVTgfKCs

So far January has been an absolute disappointment to me since Stellar's, Dalshabet's and Yezi's tracks were all boring :(. Things to look forward to: BESTie's and Mamamoo's comebacks in February and a Nine Muses comeback in March.

When it comes to TV I kind of dislike Law of the Jungle (mostly because it's kind of boring) but the next lineup (Infinite's Sungjong, B1A4's Sandeul and actor Seo Kangjoon, also AOA's Seolhyun is in the talks to join) seems interesting.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I thought January was also a disappointment too until Dean's new release: http://youtu.be/eH3GZkxoZeU :swoon:

if you like some western-influenced Korean R&B, this is your jam

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The first NCT trailer is pretty crazy. I like the beat from the preview as well but I prefer the song from their Bassbot trailer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHPIG1DgvtU
I am curious if they can get the ebay scammer trainee over.

January has been so dry. I am sure they have got scheduling down to science but I can't understand why someone doesn't release some safe copy of a popular song and just eat up awards like APink did last year with LUV.

I really hope 4Minute pulls another hit and can carry their momentum. Cold Rain and Crazy were both solid tracks. If they bomb I wonder if other labels will keep the Skrillex promos going.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
It's not exactly television, but lately my wife and I have been watching the "EXBC" stream on Twitch.

http://twitch.tv/EXBC/

Who they are:
Esco and Heosu, a Korean couple that lives in Incheon City. The stream is 99% in English, which they speak pretty well.

They are a perfect couple -- both just slightly insane, and totally buying into each others' chaos. Think April and Andy from Parks and Recreation. Except Korean.

How it started:
This began as a cooking stream on Twitch Creative, where Esco and Heosu cook Korean foods and try their best to make dishes from around the world given the ingredients available in their area.

They often do this while drinking copious amounts of soju. As their mood escalates and their English deteriorates, the stream usually becomes hilarious. They're very interactive with the chat and will answer questions. Donate or subscribe and they'll sing and dance for you.

What it has become:
They still cook most nights, but they recently built an outdoor livestreaming rig. A couple of days a week they now take live "field trips" around the Seoul area.

Highlights so far were trips to the Seoul Ikea (for meatballs, not furniture), a historic Korean village (featuring not-so-historic amusement park rides), and a "$20 Survivor Date" at a local mall (where they narrowly missed meeting Jack Black).

Tonight they are going someplace they'll only describe as "spaceship dinosaur".

Why to watch:
If you're following this thread, you're probably at least somewhat interested in Korean culture. Esco and Heosu cook neat Korean food and visit awesome places. They're also the most charming couple you'll find on Twitch.

When to watch:
They stream almost every day starting at 10am Korean time, which is (currently) 7pm US Eastern time.

Field trips sometimes start later, depending on the destination. They're usually good about updating their Twitter.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 30, 2016

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I randomly found them a couple of weeks ago and have been watching most days too. Apparently Esco used to be a rapper?

Shout out to their cats almost wrecking everything every day.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

GenghisTron posted:

I randomly found them a couple of weeks ago and have been watching most days too. Apparently Esco used to be a rapper?

are you thinking about nas

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GenghisTron posted:

Esco and Heosu are live now, in case anyone wants to check them out.

The Space Dinosaur Park trip is on hold -- the bus doesn't seem to be running today, and it's a couple of hours' trip into the country. They're going downtown (I assume to Incheon City, not Seoul) instead.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Esco and Heosu are live now, in case anyone wants to check them out.

The Space Dinosaur Park trip is on hold -- the bus doesn't seem to be running today, and it's a couple of hours' trip into the country. They're going downtown (I assume to Incheon City, not Seoul) instead.

First time watching a woman on Twitch who doesn't have her tits out. New experiences !

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
so are they just sitting in a bus with a fuzzy camera or is there something more to this

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Koramei posted:

so are they just sitting in a bus with a fuzzy camera or is there something more to this
Today is kind of a downer because their planned trip got cancelled, they're not super familiar with the downtown area, and it's cold as balls outside.

When they're actually doing stuff it's hilarious, but so far today has been mostly traveling and getting lost.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can someone rec me some korean rap please?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

ravenkult posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YJFr4pwwl0

Yezi just dropped Cider recently and its decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77qAgl1SCPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9KDtvHEPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7jM387aLY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always found Mighty Mouth a lot of fun, but they're very much in the realm of pop rap, and not sure that's what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTZCupwMVg

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_F9HUTYnl0 4MINUTE(포미닛) - 싫어(Hate) MV

Well......

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I am not a huge fan of Korean tv or much music, even though I lived in Korea for ~6 years, but the episode of Infinite Challenge with Jack Black was incredible. I have not laughed for a sustained period of time like that since I was a kid.

You all should check it out.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Jack Black was on Infinite Challenge? Is this the first time in recent history where a foreign celebrity was on a Korean variety show?

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

ravenkult posted:

You've probably heard these before but:

Dynamic Duo - Guilty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2w36k5H0U

Beenzino - Dali, Van, Picasso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6noQ5Hw7Ex0

Beenzino (feat. Dynamic Duo) - Nike Shoes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Rd13kZgik

Kisum - You & Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhDO3CoAZks

Also, despite Unpretty Rapstar being a complete trainwreck, these two songs are good:

Jessi, Cheetah feat. Kangnam prod. Verbal Jint - My Type
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Oc2-bOE2c

Jimin feat. Lim Seulong prod. Verbal Jint - Good Start (I actually like this more than the original Verbal Jint track but check it out too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN23mge3ZxQ

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

Jack Black was on Infinite Challenge? Is this the first time in recent history where a foreign celebrity was on a Korean variety show?

Episode 465 from last Saturday and he was great, and I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone of his caliber/size/scale from the entertainment industry was on (on a variety show this physical and goofy, that's for sure)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 1, 2016

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

Depends on your definitions of "foreign", "celebrity" and "recent history". And probably "variety show".

Jackie Chan was a full guest on Running Man and Happy Together in 2013. If you mean 'western' celebrity, nothing of the scale of Jack Black comes to mind, but Hugh Jackman was on Star King, Patrice Evra was in part of an episode of Running Man (both 2013) and Chloë Grace Moretz visited We Got Married last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Paris Hilton, MC Hammer, and Ryan Seacrest have appeared on Infinite Challenge.

• Locked thread