Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like that's a pretty low risk if you're even remotely careful.

The time is a concern, but if you put it on before going to bed, it's not going to be much of an issue, especially if you leave it just to really messed up records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Friend of mine is looking at getting an orbit basic for his first turntable, he's on a pretty strict budget though and isn't sure if going with the inbuilt preamp for 70 bucks would be best or if he should buy something else. Do you guys reckon you could get something external that's just as good for less than 70? The TCC TC-750LC does look nice but it isn't too much cheaper (not in Australia anyway).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

krampster2 posted:

Friend of mine is looking at getting an orbit basic for his first turntable, he's on a pretty strict budget though and isn't sure if going with the inbuilt preamp for 70 bucks would be best or if he should buy something else. Do you guys reckon you could get something external that's just as good for less than 70? The TCC TC-750LC does look nice but it isn't too much cheaper (not in Australia anyway).

What's he planning to plug it into?

Also, if budget is tight there's always the vintage route....

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What's he planning to plug it into?

Also, if budget is tight there's always the vintage route....

Directly to headphones, AKG K240s. We have had a look around for vintage stuff but it's a little tough to find in our area

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Locally a set of JBL L80T floor speakers showed up for sale, $200 for both. I don't really want to spend that much, but they look really nice and play fine I am told

Is $200 a fair price for the set?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

Locally a set of JBL L80T floor speakers showed up for sale, $200 for both. I don't really want to spend that much, but they look really nice and play fine I am told

Is $200 a fair price for the set?

Probably not a bad price if they've been refoamed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Directly to headphones, AKG K240s. We have had a look around for vintage stuff but it's a little tough to find in our area

Well, even if he gets the one with the inbuilt preamp, he's still going to need an amplifier of some sort to drive the headphones- be that a receiver or headphone amp or whatever.

Edit: The raw analog signal from a turntable cart is much weaker than the line-level signal that comes out of most playback devices with analog output (basically anything with red and white RCA cables). The pre-amp's job is simply to boost that signal to line-level. That's also what the "phono" stage that most receivers came with until the 2000s (some still do, and the number grows with vinyl's popularity) does. It's literally just a built-in preamp.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 29, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

That's kind of an oversimplification.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Well, even if he gets the one with the inbuilt preamp, he's still going to need an amplifier of some sort to drive the headphones- be that a receiver or headphone amp or whatever.

Edit: The raw analog signal from a turntable cart is much weaker than the line-level signal that comes out of most playback devices with analog output (basically anything with red and white RCA cables). The pre-amp's job is simply to boost that signal to line-level. That's also what the "phono" stage that most receivers came with until the 2000s (some still do, and the number grows with vinyl's popularity) does. It's literally just a built-in preamp.

Huh, I thought it would be no different to the inbuilt pre-amp in my AT-LP120 which I can plug headphones into just fine without needing an external amp of any sort. I just have the RCA cables plugged into a splitter which I plug my headphones into, is that not what I should be doing?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

krampster2 posted:

Huh, I thought it would be no different to the inbuilt pre-amp in my AT-LP120 which I can plug headphones into just fine without needing an external amp of any sort. I just have the RCA cables plugged into a splitter which I plug my headphones into, is that not what I should be doing?

How do you adjust volume?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

BigFactory posted:

How do you adjust volume?

I don't at the moment, I only set it up a couple days ago so I'm still looking into it. On the last page TomR suggested this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

I'll either get that or an amp

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

krampster2 posted:

I don't at the moment, I only set it up a couple days ago so I'm still looking into it. On the last page TomR suggested this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7116

I'll either get that or an amp

That would be a super budget way to do it if the problem is your music is too loud i guess. It's not going to help you out if it's too quiet.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

BigFactory posted:

That would be a super budget way to do it if the problem is your music is too loud i guess. It's not going to help you out if it's too quiet.

Yeah it's too loud. A device like that would be able to reduce the signal without affecting the quality of the music should it not? I don't mind having to buy an amp but if a cheap two dollar wire can do what I need it to then I might as well go with that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

krampster2 posted:

Yeah it's too loud. A device like that would be able to reduce the signal without affecting the quality of the music should it not? I don't mind having to buy an amp but if a cheap two dollar wire can do what I need it to then I might as well go with that.

Are you using headphones that came with your phone or that you got on an airplane? If that's the case it will sound fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Are you using headphones that came with your phone or that you got on an airplane? If that's the case it will sound fine.

They're AKG 240s.

Just get a stereo receiver on craigslist. With the tiniest modicum of patience you'll find something that'll do the job admirably for under $30. Probably way less even.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wouldn't do that. The headphone jacks on a lot of stereos aren't great, most don't have proper headphone amps and the output may be noisy compared to an actual headphone amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TomR posted:

I wouldn't do that. The headphone jacks on a lot of stereos aren't great, most don't have proper headphone amps and the output may be noisy compared to an actual headphone amp.

Yes but when the alternative is 'Y-cable run straight out of the back of the turntable'....

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I agree, but if it's loud enough I'd rather buddy get a $2 part and save his money for a headphone amp when he wants something better. Any of the Fiio things or a Magni would be better than a cheap old stereo. Old stuff is a great deal for running speakers, but the headphone performance can be hit and miss.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Sorry I think we are confused between my setup and my friend's. I'm not really on that tight a budget, I'm using an AT LP120 and I own a pair of ATH M50s and Sennheiser 598s (I like to have both open and closed headphones for different things). I just need something that will allow me to control volume without making the sound quality any worse. So I'm happy to spend a little (although preferably not more than $100) on a headphone amp.

My friend though is looking at getting a U-turn basic (which does not have an inbuilt pre-amp like the AT LP120) and using it with a pair of AKG-K240s, he's on a tighter budget and isn't sure what kind of equipment he can get for cheap. I suppose in his case it would be best to go shopping for second hand gear.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Records can also get pretty expensive

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TomR posted:

I agree, but if it's loud enough I'd rather buddy get a $2 part and save his money for a headphone amp when he wants something better. Any of the Fiio things or a Magni would be better than a cheap old stereo. Old stuff is a great deal for running speakers, but the headphone performance can be hit and miss.

That's true. That said, I find it to be way less of an issue when looking at the sort of overbuilt name-brand '70s and early '80s stuff that this thread loves so much, much like how WPC ratings have sort of changed in meaning since that era.

It's becoming a lot rarer to see gear of that vintage go for super-duper cheap/free but it's still definitely available.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It's probably just my area but I haven't found anything used decent for under $200 in a while, unless it was at a garage sale. While it's possible to get a good deal on something old and used it's still down to luck to find something that is cheap, in working order, and happens to have good headphone out. I've got a few old amps and receivers here that work great for running speakers but the headphone jack is noisy because they just throw a honking resistor over the speaker out and call it a day.

Krampster2 if you want to buy something and be set for life as far as headphones go just get this: http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

I bought one to run my HD 580s and it's perfect.

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer
Schitt makes great stuff, I'm using the original vali. How does the pre-amp output sound?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

TomR posted:

Krampster2 if you want to buy something and be set for life as far as headphones go just get this: http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

That looks awesome for that price, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Ordered one today, thanks TomR.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Headphone talk reminds me, I got these great sounding Pioneer Monitor 10s a couple weeks back. Like the more than the pair of Sony Sony MDRV6 I've used for almost 20 years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Tj77R3Khk

:dogbutton:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Vintage forever, gently caress full manual tables.

Ha, smash that stylus into the record dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Tj77R3Khk&t=25s

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TooLShack posted:

Ha, smash that stylus into the record dude.
Holy poo poo. Wrecked.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the ProJect Debut. Can anyone recommend me a good preamp to go with this TT? Should I just get the ProJect one? (Looking to spend 50-125$ on it).

It'll be for use with a set of Audio Engine A5+ speakers.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Customer brought in a Emotiva Pre amp they had been using, I was really impressed by it. Also all the people I've spoke to about Emotiva, their customer support is amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio-XPS-1-Phono-Preamp/dp/B00PMCIYK4

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 2, 2016

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm pretty happy with my current set up (Pioneer Sx 626, Dual 505-2, and Tannoy PBM-6.5 monitors), but I've always lusted after a Marantz Receiver just for the looks. How does the 2238b compare in terms of sound quality and warmth to Pioneer? I found one locally that's been serviced for $300 and I feel like I really want to go for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do we know about SL-1300s? One is showing up in local CL in what looks to be good shape other than missing its counterweight and the dust cover being destroyed.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Good table, will need a complete service most likely since the speeds will be off and the automatic features will be goofy. But that's just not too hard. Finding a counterweight won't be too hard, any 1400 or 1500 weight should work too, I wanna say even 1600,1700,1800 might work as well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I have a pair of Koss Pro A4s lying around that I never use because the pads are so stiff and uncomfortable.

Are there any non-Koss pads I can get for these to make them not skull-crushingly unbearable? I like using them as a 'second-opinion' after I've mastered a track b/c they're incredibly mid-heavy since iirc they're technically designed for broadcasting.

Also anyone else have roommates? I wake up super early and have been forced to use headphones more often because my housemates don't get up until like 10-11am. :doom:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Wound up getting a Marantz 4100. It works in 4 channel mode, but when I cycle the power to 2 channel mode in the back (powered down of course) and turn it back on no sound comes out. I feel like I've tried everything, but has anyone else had a similar issue with a quadrophonic amp?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This isn't perfect but I've had a similar idea before. I wonder how many bells and whistles could be built into such a thing without ruining the looks of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/oIPPg/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's rad dude. Should be proud of it!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Just to be clear its not mine. I like it though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TomR posted:

Just to be clear its not mine. I like it though.

Ha! Well in that case, those are some lovely speakers he used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I got a really kickass McIntosh tube amp back from the only McIntosh approved repair shop in DFW recently and I'm looking to sell it. Any idea where I could get a price range on what it's worth, and a good place to sell something expensive like it?

I'll post some pictures later when I get it set up for demo.