Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So I'm Bengal > Bharat, going for Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire. And I get to Europe and I see this poo poo.

Now I know Austria didn't PU France. I know this because the last time I looked Britain had conquered all of France.

30 years later:

That's some EU3 style border gore. I guess I'm never going to discover Crimea.

Africa and South America are still totally uncolonised wastelands. HRE is 1PM Ravensburg.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
In a move surprising absolutely no one, 1.15.1 is out and the bug for custom nation ideas is gone.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-15-1-hotfix-release.905404/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Could you get 200% or more discipline with that bug? What about combat ability?

I want a regiment of clubmen from Africa to stackwipe a western army.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Node posted:

Yes and probably. It was a bit finicky, since discipline reset once you entered battle and at every monthly tick.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Node posted:

I want a regiment of clubmen from Africa to stackwipe a western army.

Yeah it was pretty crazy. You could do DDRJake level exploits very easily.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Are there any mods that help make better random new worlds and let you make a random custom nation map that doesn't make each nation too big? I've played this long enough that if it isn't MP then it's not really that much fun on historical settings since I'm used to how things play out.

Also sorta annoyed in that I had a pretty good custom game going only to find out that the new world consisted of a single 4 province island. Considering I was trying to be colonial Netherlands it took all the fun away pretty fast. I'd much rather have big continents with the possibility of other western tech nations.

Doubt there's something for it but would love to have the ability to just start a random game with random traditions/location.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aeglus posted:

Are there any mods that help make better random new worlds and let you make a random custom nation map that doesn't make each nation too big? I've played this long enough that if it isn't MP then it's not really that much fun on historical settings since I'm used to how things play out.

Also sorta annoyed in that I had a pretty good custom game going only to find out that the new world consisted of a single 4 province island. Considering I was trying to be colonial Netherlands it took all the fun away pretty fast. I'd much rather have big continents with the possibility of other western tech nations.

Doubt there's something for it but would love to have the ability to just start a random game with random traditions/location.

I think there's a mod called 'Continents Only' or something, which restricts the RNW to tiles of 100+ provinces, so you mostly wind up with a few big landmasses. The same guy has another one that tweaks the climate algorithm so that it doesn't just paint a big straight edged swath of desert across the RNW.

Turn 'fantasy' up to max in options to increase the chance of High American/Western tech guys in the RNW.

As for random nation size, I think(?) it's based off the vanilla game, so because there's only 1 tag in China, you tend to get a big nation there. I wonder if using something like Europa Gooniversalis or one of the other mods that breaks big nations up would make it so random nations were generated more evenly across the map?

You can do random traditions (little dice button), although you might want to up the total number of custom points allowed, as it might generate more then the standard 200 points worth of ideas. Coming up with a random start location, you could use something like this until you hit land. :)

EDIT: The biggest problem with RNW and crazy weird starts is that the trade flow system makes it hard to exploit the RNW. Hope you're in a Europe end node or Japan or something. Nobody else can get RNW trade flowing in. :smith:

EDIT EDIT: It would be kinda cool to have an option (slider?) to say "Give me 200 points worth of territory and 100 points worth of ideas..." and it would randomly plop you down somewhere...

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 1, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thanqol posted:

So I'm Bengal > Bharat, going for Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire. And I get to Europe and I see this poo poo.

Now I know Austria didn't PU France. I know this because the last time I looked Britain had conquered all of France.

30 years later:

That's some EU3 style border gore. I guess I'm never going to discover Crimea.

Africa and South America are still totally uncolonised wastelands. HRE is 1PM Ravensburg.

Ragusa :3:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is there a new version of Europa Gooniversalis out?

I have an older version, but I wanted to know if it ever got updated more.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Seems like the changes to the AI in 1.15 have made it a lot more willing to blob wildly out of control. I'm not sure if I think that's a good thing or bad thing yet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuligin posted:

Seems like the changes to the AI in 1.15 have made it a lot more willing to blob wildly out of control. I'm not sure if I think that's a good thing or bad thing yet.

Here's my in progress Dracula's Revenge (form Romania and own all the Balkans) run:

featuring Castile Eats Portugal, hero LO, and the scariest Ming I've ever seen.

Started as Moldavia and the trickiest part has been the tense diplomacy with Muscovy/Russia, they were my buds for a long time while we partitioned Poland/Lithuania but once they formed Russia and got permanent claims on a bunch of my provinces they broke the alliance.

Ottomans got huge but I caught them westernizing and behind three mil techs so they've been getting wrecked by rebels for the last decade.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I have noticed this as well. Mega-Russia, Mega-Ottomans, Mega-Denmark, Mega-Mega-France....Europe is kind of crazy.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Is there a new version of Europa Gooniversalis out?

I have an older version, but I wanted to know if it ever got updated more.

EG is still just short of a Workshop release whilst I tinker with alternate scenarios, so here is a version for 1.15 that I take no responsibility for whatsoever!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Speaking of goon mods, I've finally sorta finished my own. Or at least made it functional enough to release. I rebalanced the development of the entire world according to their historical values, added a system for dynamic population and economic growth, as well as an administrative system to deal with the fact that China now has over 9000 development. (Though China is just the hardest hit, every state will feel its effects, unless you decide to disable it at the start of the game.) Plus a few other things which you can check out by following the link if you want to.

- Because there's no point in conquering India if there aren't a ton of Indians to oppress.

Historical Balance Mod

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of goon mods, I've finally sorta finished my own. Or at least made it functional enough to release. I rebalanced the development of the entire world according to their historical values, added a system for dynamic population and economic growth, as well as an administrative system to deal with the fact that China now has over 9000 development. (Though China is just the hardest hit, every state will feel its effects, unless you decide to disable it at the start of the game.) Plus a few other things which you can check out by following the link if you want to.

- Because there's no point in conquering India if there aren't a ton of Indians to oppress.

Historical Balance Mod
I was going to make an ironic "x isnt developed enough" or "x is over-developed" :mad:post, then I noticed that the Americas are looking pretty red, so here is my unironic post about me thinking that America looks like it is needing more development :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Historical Balance Mod
Athens: Less developed than Darfur.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tsyni posted:

I have noticed this as well. Mega-Russia, Mega-Ottomans, Mega-Denmark, Mega-Mega-France....Europe is kind of crazy.

Yeah, the AI is getting much better at blobbing like crazy. I'm not sure whether they're more aggressive, better with their doomstacks, or rebels are worse, but something definitely seems different.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Historical Balance Mod

Is development variation in India and China just hidden by the terrible color scales? Looks bizzare in those shots.

quote:

To simulate this, the development of each country is compared to their government type. An early government like a Feudal Monarchy is much less able to truly take full advantage of its potential, which in the case of for example France results in a significant minimum autonomy in all provinces. In a much smaller country, this penalty is of course much smaller, giving them a better chance to stand up to big bullies early on. This of course also means that rapid expansion early on won't result in quite as strong a snowball effect.

This sounds absolutely brilliant though, I hope it works as advertised.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 1, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I was going to make an ironic "x isnt developed enough" or "x is over-developed" :mad:post, then I noticed that the Americas are looking pretty red, so here is my unironic post about me thinking that America looks like it is needing more development :v:
American provinces are surprisingly small in many places, so no single province really gets that much development. Looking at the numbers I've used (the development part being finished months ago), I think I have definitely settled on one of the low estimates. Probably because I figured I would have to add a bunch of events that turned all that red stuff into 1/1/1 provinces anyway when the plagues roll in if I went with the higher numbers.

Ofaloaf posted:

Athens: Less developed than Darfur.
Wasn't Athens kind of a backwater by this point, relatively speaking? Anyway, I think Africa might look somewhat over-developed in places, because it has provinces that cover a much larger area than their European equivalents. Like, those provinces in Darfur are going to be like 10-20 times bigger than the Athens province.

PittTheElder posted:

Is development variation in India and China just hidden by the terrible color scales? Looks bizzare in those shots.
Yes. Unfortunately it's neither moddable, nor does it adjust the scale to fit the existing range of development. Green development in this case ranges from I think 30 to 192 in India and China.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 1, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Props on using Typus Orbis Terrarum too btw. Love that map, and Paradox should really replace the EU-board-game era base map with it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Green development in this case ranges from I think 30 to 192 in India and China.

:eyepop:

This sounds fun.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the AI is getting much better at blobbing like crazy. I'm not sure whether they're more aggressive, better with their doomstacks, or rebels are worse, but something definitely seems different.

I think it could partly be due to the changes in how AI spends points on development. The AI seems more aggressive, and it's also not dumping tons of points on development it could be using more efficiently on almost anything else.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh wow I've been waiting for this since you mentioned it last summer, you really went all out on it.

PittTheElder posted:

The development map only has 4 colours to differentiate between, it's horrendous. They really need to add more.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Finished my first full Ironman game of EU4 as the German principality of Hesse.

Big AI shout to westernized Vijayanagar, who unified India early on and was in the top five of force limits for most of the game, and independent westernized Songhai.

If you've taken a look at the map I'm sure you've noticed that Southern Germany and the Netherlands are a rainbow clusterfuck; well..

I was planning on becoming a republic through the Influence + Aristocratic decision, but after the Protestant League won the war I ended up becoming Emperor by default, so I decided to see if I could restore a completely shattered HRE (No reforms passed, 3 electors, 2 free cities, 19 member states - I think monthly IA gain when I inherited was like -.41) and Revoke the Privilegia before the game ended. I failed, but learned a lot in the process.

*Adding provinces to the HRE requires you to core them. Making a client state destroys those cores, and releasing them from vassalage costs 25 prestige and makes them hate you (-200 relations) for like 25 years. It's costly and wasteful, but if you've conquered Germany and crushed France who is going to punish you?

*If you want to turn a OPM monarchy into a free city; set their province as a 'Vital Interest' on your diplomacy screen. This will often change their mood to Threatened, which is a +20 bonus compared to Friendly's +10.

*That said, it's way easier to just release a OPM client republic, release and guarantee them for a couple years while you get relations above completely terrible, and then make them the offer.

*Setting up a bunch of small nations has a strong affect on the trade map; a nation has so much more trade power than a province, and a client state will always(?) try to draw trade to their capital. I released that bright teal client state in Normandie first, and so they drew trade from my home node westward - if I had released them from Rennes in Brittany and made that their capital then they would have been in a different trade node and competed with the British and French instead.

*Having +9 Diplo-Rep means you can get away with a lot of poo poo.

I definitely could have reformed the HRE if I was a more aggressive, but I got pretty fatigued and ended up letting the last century run mostly on auto-pilot. I very rarely get to the late game in EU4, and it was really surprising how much the game changes after everyone unlocks the Nationalism/Imperialism CBs. I think the most fun I had was the huge mid-game League War, and the first time I went to war with France, shattered their armies, and secured my place as the dominate European power.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 1, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

:eyepop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:unsmigghh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good luck coring any of that, make sure Ming picks up Aristocratic too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Haven't a clue why Paradox didn't decide to go with that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It would be cooler if the provinces had faint little roads between them, with tiny villages along the way, rather than those big metros.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Here is my Ethiopia game so far:

It is 1496 and I am about to go clown Ajuuraan and friends. Makuria is my (Coptic) vassal.

The Mamluks had declared war on me and the Ottomans immediately started giving me $6/month in subsidies, which let em recruit some mercs and win the war, so then I dickpunched a bunch of other minors, which drew the Mamluks against me again and I took 'em on my own the second time.

I am thinking of vassalizing Warsangli to save on some admin and revolts while I push south.

Will it ruin my Ironman if I send the save file from one computer to another?

edit: also doesnt a country pop into existence in the uncolonized provinces sometime soon?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Funj should show up to your west, leaving two provinces uncolonised between them and west Africa.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Will it ruin my Ironman if I send the save file from one computer to another?

Nope

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

How visibly big do cities get if you pump as much development into them as possible?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hrm I think I am going to wardec Mamluks, drawing Warsangali in. I think I will annex Warsangali, convert all of their provinces, then release them and feed them most of Ajuuraan. Though that may be a bit over the top, argh I am thinking too much.

If I start taking Egypt, someone said that the Ottoman mission gives them claims on the whole thing regardless of who owns it, right? So it could be dangerous to try taking it over too soon?

YF-23 posted:

Funj should show up to your west, leaving two provinces uncolonised between them and west Africa.
Sweet thats what I thought, thanks!

Eeeexcellent. Thank you!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

If I start taking Egypt, someone said that the Ottoman mission gives them claims on the whole thing regardless of who owns it, right? So it could be dangerous to try taking it over too soon?

Try and cut a path to the Mediterranean through western Egypt. The Ottomans will still need to chew through the rest of the Mamluks territory before they can go after you, and you need that coastal province to negate "distance from border" penalties. After that you'll be able to ally some people who rivaled the Ottomans. Hopefully you can get alliances with France and Austria.

I don't recall where I was in my run by 1496, so I can't really give you a good comparison. I don't think the Ottomans were that close to Egypt for me, and i had mainly focused on annexing everything around me while keeping my military tech up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I think there might be something to the claim that the AI is a bit more blob-happy. This is entirely the work of the AI, as I let the game run in observe mode.

Node posted:

How visibly big do cities get if you pump as much development into them as possible?

From a time when I accidentally left the mean time to happen for my population growth event at once per month.

Poil posted:

Good luck coring any of that, make sure Ming picks up Aristocratic too.
Hey, coring costs have an upper limit, and admin efficiency goes higher in my mod. :v:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think there might be something to the claim that the AI is a bit more blob-happy. This is entirely the work of the AI, as I let the game run in observe mode.

What are the alliances in this game? In my silesia game I had a spanish/french/austrian superblob alliance. They never really troubled me but took all challenge from the game when poland stupidly decided to contest france getting a pu over austria. With predictable results.

But I can see how the trust changes would result in AI Hugboxes that steamroll everything.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sorced posted:

What are the alliances in this game? In my silesia game I had a spanish/french/austrian superblob alliance. They never really troubled me but took all challenge from the game when poland stupidly decided to contest france getting a pu over austria. With predictable results.

But I can see how the trust changes would result in AI Hugboxes that steamroll everything.

One commonality between all of these screenshots from the most recent patch and my own Romania playthrough is that Castile eats Portugal, too.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
In my current game France is Allied with Austria, and Austria is Allied with Russia. The emperor has been 2-3 province states for a hundred years for some reason (knights was the emperor 3 times). Anyway, Poland and Lithuania and the Ottomans have been cut up between Austria and Russia, and the rest of the HRE and Italy have been carved up by Austria and France. It's...blobby.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How can the Dhimmi estate get real influence?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sorced posted:

What are the alliances in this game?
I forgot to save the game outside the autosaves, so I don't have it anymore. Could just imagine those three being best buddies, because the map looks sorta like what I'd expect three human player working together would produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is 1.16 coming out with or before mare nostrum?

• Locked thread