Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

E: ^^ Yes please

This doesn't work in Medieval II. The territory requirement for victory is high, and there are several anti-steamrolling tactics the game has. Basically the game rubber-bands a bunch of factors (how much the Church likes you if you're Catholic, what your allies are doing and if they randomly decide to betray you, where eastern Mongol armies appear and what they choose to attack.) At the extreme end of things, it will have your enemies send assassins after your generals, and these nub assassins will succeed where your hyper-veteran elite assassins would fail. (Then the instant these un-generaled armies step outside a city, they turn bandit, etc.) If you get too far too quickly, these rubber band effects start hauling you down. If you attack non-catholic factions, you avoid problems from his holiness, but you need to convert your newly conquered lands into your religion, which means your mighty army has to chill for six or seven turns, while you build churches/have priests wander the countryside.

This applies to the Muslim and Orthodox factions as well - they don't have to deal with a Pope, but they do have to deal with most of the map not being their religion.

I've played that game way too much

Don't forget the bug that put the effects of razing a city from Rome II into the effects of peacefully occupying a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

and some Zeppelins make history by being possibly the first Germans in recorded history who wanted to go to Liverpool.

Huzzah! IM HELPING

And that reminds me, I've a WW1 question.

Newfoundland was actually its own nation when the Great War started. For reasons that I assume have to do with patriotism, people decided that Newfoundland should raise its own regiment. This was in many ways a bad idea, mainly due to how much it costs to equip a regiment during a war when arms are in great demand, and the cost of shipping said regiment over to the Europe. You might think it kinda odd to harp on the financial aspects of Newfoundland's involvement, but it had important repercussions down the road. Newfoundland was not a rich place (it was probably richer than the poorest nation of Europe at the time, Iceland, but that's not saying much) and it probably couldn't have afforded the costs in the first place - the 1920s were not exactly a fat time either, so when the Great depression rolled around, Newfoundland defaulted on its debt and became a British holding again, to the mild annoyance of the British. (Fun fact: the Royal Newfoundland regiment was the only North American unit to get invited to the great big party at Gallipoli.) Anyway, the Regiment is annihilated on the battle of the Somme's first day. (780 men went forward from the trenches, 68 were there for roll call the next day, a 90% casualty rate.) When I was in school growing up in Newfoundland, Teachers always gave the impression that this was the result of prejudicial action on the part of the British, who frankly didn't care for the estraz-Irish people under their command.

Since then, I've grown up and learned a bit, and I've learned that the truth is actually even bleaker - it's not true that the Newfoundland regiment got the poo poo end of the stick. The story of total annihilation in that first day of the Somme was actually the rule, not the exception, and the story of a unit basically being wiped out as a fighting force happened a hundred times that day. My question is: is this correct?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

xthetenth posted:

Don't forget the bug that put the effects of razing a city from Rome II into the effects of peacefully occupying a city.

At release I think there were actually more things in Rome II that were bugs than weren't.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Newfoundland was actually its own nation when the Great War started.

:aaa:

I never knew that. I always assumed that the Canadian providences were all... Canadish by that point.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

sullat posted:

For all the claim of it being a simpler age, feudalism can get downright byzantine.

Yes, that's why the terms of service had to be so precise. Vassals would try all sorts of dodges. "Oh, I didn't realize I was supposed to bring my armor and horse. I'll just go get them. It'll take, um, a few days. I'll be back... soon. Don't hold up the battle for me."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hogmartin posted:

:aaa:

I never knew that. I always assumed that the Canadian providences were all... Canadish by that point.

We're kinda Canada's Texas in that we have this history that is in part independent from the nation we're a part of now.

:eng101: Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada in 1949. It was also floated as a idea that we join the United States, which came as a surprise to the United States, I think

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Since then, I've grown up and learned a bit, and I've learned that the truth is actually even bleaker - it's not true that the Newfoundland regiment got the poo poo end of the stick. The story of total annihilation in that first day of the Somme was actually the rule, not the exception, and the story of a unit basically being wiped out as a fighting force happened a hundred times that day. My question is: is this correct?

The first day on the Somme is a complete and total roulette wheel. If you're lucky, like the 17th King's Regiment, you end up as the southmost battalion in the southmost division of Fourth Army, Colonel Fairfax literally goes over the top arm-in-arm with Commandant Le Petit from the northmost French battalion, and you have a rather nice and easy time of it. The trouble with the Newfoundlanders is that they'd got themselves shoved into the 29th Division way back when to make up numbers (which is why they ended up following that dickhead Hunter-Weston around the place), and they're cut to shreds at Beaumont Hamel. One battalion gets lucky, attacks Frise, and spends the next week being extremely proud of its role in the Great Victory; another doesn't, attacks Thiepval, and the designated survivors never see their mates again.

It's correct, but it also isn't the whole story.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

That's an awesome museum. Congratulations. :)

If you're at all interested in WW2, I can also recommend the Museum of the Defense of Leningrad. It's quite small, but they've got some great stuff in there. The small section about the plight of children during the siege is :smith: as all hell. I've got a bunch of pictures if anyone's interested.

I just want to 2nd that the Defense museum was great and :smith: as gently caress.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Eej posted:

Ah so you're the kind of guy who keeps EU4's budget going through DLC.

Sadly I only play the games with a friend sharing a nation or friends, they seem a little too dry for me.

But the art direction is fantastic, the screenshots of alt history independent 18th and 19th century native american european style armies is fantastic. Video game artists need to do that more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nebakenezzer posted:

We're kinda Canada's Texas in that we have this history that is in part independent from the nation we're a part of now.

:eng101: Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada in 1949. It was also floated as a idea that we join the United States, which came as a surprise to the United States, I think

Lots of states share that distinction but Alberta is your Texas and nothing will ever change that unless the place is depopulated and allowed to clean itself back up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The local landsknecht reenactors are coming back to this year's Bay Area Renaissance Festival. I'll make sure to take some pictures and video for the thread. They do demonstrations and short classes on historical combat with incredibly large codpieces.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I've a question about HE rounds and tank armor. There is obviously a very large variety of shells, and I have a rough grasp of the upper end - if your HE round is powerful enough, you will do very nasty things to tanks. (I've seen some of the unfortunate tanks on Archive Awareness.) Now, I know more powerful rounds can cause spalling and other nastiness even if they fail to penetrate, but is there a spectrum for this? Do less powerful rounds cause increasingly less internal damage until they fall off completely, or is there a rough line of "you either do damage or nothing at all"? If there is a drop off point, is there a rough guide for what that point is?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Thanks for the medieval post! Though I wonder where I got the number of 40 fighting days per year (rest is peasant stuff) from.

I was thrilled to find out how lawful and legalistic the Middle Ages were.
That may be an expansion of the concept of Fyrd or Leidang beyond the time in which they existed. I have no idea what exactly "medieval" actually counts as though, what with the concept of "dark ages" being a recent addition to the bunk file in my head.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Von Humboldt posted:

I've a question about HE rounds and tank armor. There is obviously a very large variety of shells, and I have a rough grasp of the upper end - if your HE round is powerful enough, you will do very nasty things to tanks. (I've seen some of the unfortunate tanks on Archive Awareness.) Now, I know more powerful rounds can cause spalling and other nastiness even if they fail to penetrate, but is there a spectrum for this? Do less powerful rounds cause increasingly less internal damage until they fall off completely, or is there a rough line of "you either do damage or nothing at all"? If there is a drop off point, is there a rough guide for what that point is?

It would probably be a rough spectrum more than anything. The damage not only depends on the size of the shell, but also the thickness and composition of the armor (the Germans in WW2 had poorly hardened armor that tended to crack and used rivets early on rather than welds, which increased their chance of spalling or cracking from any kind of hit) and exactly where the shell hits.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Von Humboldt posted:

I've a question about HE rounds and tank armor. There is obviously a very large variety of shells, and I have a rough grasp of the upper end - if your HE round is powerful enough, you will do very nasty things to tanks. (I've seen some of the unfortunate tanks on Archive Awareness.) Now, I know more powerful rounds can cause spalling and other nastiness even if they fail to penetrate, but is there a spectrum for this? Do less powerful rounds cause increasingly less internal damage until they fall off completely, or is there a rough line of "you either do damage or nothing at all"?

Sooorta in between. Consider this picture, which resulted from when a piece of aluminium is struck by a high velocity aluminium ball (depicted). The impact was slow enough that there's no *visible* spalling flying out the other side. But it's clear that *something* has happened.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JcDent posted:

Thanks for the medieval post! Though I wonder where I got the number of 40 fighting days per year (rest is peasant stuff) from.

I was thrilled to find out how lawful and legalistic the Middle Ages were.

It's probably something you picked up in general reading, assuming you've done a fair amount of research on the subject yourself already. I know that the Normans required 40 days of knight-service, and any days beyond that the lord would have the pay for their service. In addition to the 40 days of armed service, knights would also be required to spend a certain amount of time at their direct lord's castle, and depending on the barony you're talking about, royal castles may have been garrisoned by knights as well.

Another obligation of knight-service, which isn't directly related to the fighting days you're referring to, is that knights were basically obligated to pay a fee to maintain their status as knights as well. Being a knight meant taking on certain obligations, like the ones I outlined above. You have instances throughout the middle ages when a man-at-arms proves himself in battle but finds a way to (politely) decline being knighted. Some people think it's so they could avoid all those extra obligations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Von Humboldt posted:

There's a spectrum. You can have no damage on the other side, a bump, a bump with a crack, and after that you're going to start having pieces fly off. As for a rough guideline, good luck, this greatly depends on the composition of the armour and the caliber overmatch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

Sooorta in between. Consider this picture, which resulted from when a piece of aluminium is struck by a high velocity aluminium ball (depicted). The impact was slow enough that there's no *visible* spalling flying out the other side. But it's clear that *something* has happened.

I looked up that picture and it's from a space debris test. Here's the image with the relevant measurements.

For comparison, an ISU-152 assault gun was calculated by someone at 10,000,000 joules. I wouldn't want to be behind aluminum armor of that thickness if it were hit by a 152mm cannon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

For comparison, an ISU-152 assault gun was calculated by someone at 10,000,000 joules. I wouldn't want to be behind aluminum armor of that thickness if it were hit by a 152mm cannon.

That's not armor in that case, it's a source of splintering.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Trin Tragula posted:

The trouble with the Newfoundlanders is that they'd got themselves shoved into the 29th Division way back when to make up numbers (which is why they ended up following that dickhead Hunter-Weston around the place), and they're cut to shreds at Beaumont Hamel.

Wait, so what aspects of lovely leadership got the Newfoundlanders killed, aside from "lets fight in WWI?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

It would probably be a rough spectrum more than anything. The damage not only depends on the size of the shell, but also the thickness and composition of the armor (the Germans in WW2 had poorly hardened armor that tended to crack and used rivets early on rather than welds, which increased their chance of spalling or cracking from any kind of hit) and exactly where the shell hits.

The armor issue only occured after they ran out of source material to produce the higher-quality steel. I think that issue started in mid-1944? I'd have to check on that again.

Don't know what you're talking about with rivets though, as the riveted tanks they used were captured/foreign such as the Panzer 35 and 38(t).

Oh and gently caress hitler.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

I looked up that picture and it's from a space debris test. Here's the image with the relevant measurements.

Link? That 10,000,000 number sounds extremely dubious, if only because I cannot believe that a shaped penetrator is moving at orbital velocities.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Link? That 10,000,000 number sounds extremely dubious, if only because I cannot believe that a shaped penetrator is moving at orbital velocities.

Someone on the Wikipedia page for orders of magnitude of energy left his calculation in the footnotes. For a comparison, a .50 BMG round tested by ammoguide.com out of a 45 inch barrel (the barrel length of an M2 heavy machine gun) makes 18,000 to 20,000 joules at the muzzle.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The armor issue only occured after they ran out of source material to produce the higher-quality steel. I think that issue started in mid-1944? I'd have to check on that again.

Ensign Expendable found documents of a Panzer III being tested on two different occasions by the Soviets before Operation Barbarossa and in 1942, and in both tests the armor cracked.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Ensign Expendable found documents of a Panzer III being tested on two different occasions by the Soviets before Operation Barbarossa and in 1942, and in both tests the armor cracked.

Any idea which manufacturer those two Panzer III's came from, or which model Ausf. variant they tested? I'm curious if there's any similarities between the two tanks tested.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone on the Wikipedia page for orders of magnitude of energy left his calculation in the footnotes. For a comparison, a .50 BMG round tested by ammoguide.com out of a 45 inch barrel (the barrel length of an M2 heavy machine gun) makes 18,000 to 20,000 joules at the muzzle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152_mm_howitzer-gun_M1937_(ML-20)

Weight of HE shell: 48.8kg

Muzzle velocity of HE shell: 600m/s

KE = 1/2 * Mass * Velocity^2, correct?

X = 0.5 * 48.8kg * 600m/s2

X = 0.5 * 48.8 * 360000

X = 24.4 * 360000

X = 8,784,000 joules

Unless I got my math wrong?

Edit: Keep in mind this is the energy as it leaves the barrel, not on impact

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 2, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Colonel Fairfax literally goes over the top arm-in-arm with Commandant Le Petit from the northmost French battalion

This is a very odd mental image :gay:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't know what you're talking about with rivets though, as the riveted tanks they used were captured/foreign such as the Panzer 35 and 38(t).

The Germans were having raw materials issues from before the start of the war, thanks to defaulting on international loans and reparations repayments and an enormous trade deficit that meant getting iron ore and such was a total pain in the arse. Hence why they were so reliant on things like iron ore shipment from Sweden to keep heavy industry going and never had enough rare metals for alloying from the start, since they had no trade partners and no money to buy it with anyway.

One of the major benefits of the invasion of France and the Low Countries was a new source of credit that the Germans could wring dry to get just enough extra raw materials from whatever allies the Germans had left to keep their industry going. This was a hugely contentious point after the war was over, since the Dutch in particular wanted Germany to pay back all the money (money that Germany obviously didn't have) that they had effectively extorted from the Netherlands by racking up a trade deficit at gunpoint and then never making good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

The Germans were having raw materials issues from before the start of the war, thanks to defaulting on international loans and reparations repayments and an enormous trade deficit that meant getting iron ore and such was a total pain in the arse. Hence why they were so reliant on things like iron ore shipment from Sweden to keep heavy industry going and never had enough rare metals for alloying from the start, since they had no trade partners and no money to buy it with anyway.

One of the major benefits of the invasion of France and the Low Countries was a new source of credit that the Germans could wring dry to get just enough extra raw materials from whatever allies the Germans had left to keep their industry going. This was a hugely contentious point after the war was over, since the Dutch in particular wanted Germany to pay back all the money (money that Germany obviously didn't have) that they had effectively extorted from the Netherlands by racking up a trade deficit at gunpoint and then never making good.

I think it really brings to light how there doesn't seem to be much discussion on Germany's economy pre-, during, and post-world war 2.

Or maybe I've never noticed the posts before? :shrug:

Interesting nonetheless, thanks!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Tooze's Wages of Destruction has both been recommended a ton and discussed a fair bit, so I think you missed out somewhere.

Incidentally, I should finish that last third, but reading about the economics of mass murder wasn't exactly fun compared to pew pew space opera.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Koesj posted:

Tooze's Wages of Destruction has both been recommended a ton and discussed a fair bit, so I think you missed out somewhere.

Incidentally, I should finish that last third, but reading about the economics of mass murder wasn't exactly fun compared to pew pew space opera.

Added to my wishlist, thanks!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MikeCrotch posted:

I also recall there being something about the British buying up a whole bunch of rare additives for above market prices before the war to keep the Nazis from getting them.

Perhaps from Spain?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

How did the myth about Nazi Germany being this unstoppable, perfectly organized well-oiled machine of industrialized doom get started, anyway? I get that some of it is propaganda somehow still being repeated to this day, but is that the whole explanation?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Taerkar posted:

I also recall there being something about the British buying up a whole bunch of rare additives for above market prices before the war to keep the Nazis from getting them.

Perhaps from Spain?

I dunno about that, but my favourite fact about WW2 britain is that in 1942 their men were averaging over half a litre of tea a day, and to supply that insane demand for the stuff the british government bought the entire world market tea crop of that year. So, if the additive is tea, totally true :D

Comrade Koba posted:

How did the myth about Nazi Germany being this unstoppable, perfectly organized well-oiled machine of industrialized doom get started, anyway? I get that some of it is propaganda somehow still being repeated to this day, but is that the whole explanation?

Probably partly their propoganda and partly rear end-covering after their early success. Nobody wants to admit that the other side were also chucklefucks who were just slightly less chucklefucky than you; you were clearly beaten by the merciless industrial might of a superior enemy and it couldn't have been helped.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's kinda the subtext behind the British propaganda during the Battle of Britain, but more generally was probably in place around WWI.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 1, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Czech armour actually performed better than German armour of comparable thickness in Soviet trials (25+25 mm riveted Czech armour compared to 22+22 riveted and 30+30 riveted German).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

Iirc the tldr version is that they fixed the massive unemployment by taking a huge amount of loans (that they weren't planning on paying back) and increasing government spending with them and by lowering the real wages. And a large part of the increased government spending was spent on the re-armament. It might have looked like an economic miracle but Nazi Germany's economy would have crashed in few years even without the war.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 1, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comrade Koba posted:

Before the war they had a legitimately well organized, effective army. This is one of those things that happens when you pump insane amounts of money and manpower into a rapidly expanding military for six years during peacetime. Think of the US military in 1938 and how much better it got between then and 1941 just due to Roosevelt realizing poo poo was coming and starting a modest buildup. Now think of how much it improved between 1941 and 1944. Same deal, except done over six years and without a war happening. France, England, etc. started a military buildup when poo poo started getting really dicy, but that was very late in the game (think '37-38). There was also a lot of innovative thinking going on and some legitimately well orchestrated and organized operations. There are good reasons why the whole world was dumbfounded when they pulled Eben Emal off. Part of it was also luck, but that's true of any war.

There was also some major gently caress ups among the allies, and after the war no one wanted to own up to screwing the pooch that badly. Painting your opponent as a nearly superhuman force of nature that you were lucky to fend off and then valiantly beat into submission plays a lot better for post-war politicians than serious soul searching about how much of a cluster gently caress the first half of the war was.

Even for the US, part of it is cultural. In the 1950s it is a lot more fun to make movies about plucky GIs defeating Prussian military geniuses than it would be to show inevitable victory after American industry comes online and German resources are drawn into the East in ever greater numbers. It's worth observing that after the war John Wayne and Captain America are the heroic myths of the American military, not Rosie the Riveter.

Finally, it also helps that we were rehabilitating the W. Germans into NATO allies at that time. Skilled warriors defeated by the sheer pressure of Asiatic hordes is a line you want to play up when you're trying to get the Bundeswehr re-equiped and permission to use a whole poo poo ton of guys who served in Russia as its new body of officers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, racist people like going "why didn't the british and the americans join with the nazis in stomping down the filthy commies and jews?" Well, the reason for that was because the nazis were lunatics invading and robbing and extorting everyone else who wasn't a filthy commie or jew.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Not-so-WW2 Data

The 2nd part to the Communist China portion of the Russian "Satellites". How bad was the Chinese marking system? Which mortar rounds were interchangeable with US-made weapons? What modification could be made to a 60mm mortar round to give it more firepower? All that and more at the blog!

I forgot to take shots of the packaging data, so those will be edited in tomorrow. My apologies for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now think of how much it improved between 1941 and 1944. Same deal, except done over six years and without a war happening.

Well - sort of. They learned quite a bit in the Spanish Civil War, both through sending the Condor Legion (a volunteer force recruited from the Luftwaffe) over there to fight and having observers on the ground.

(Not that participation in that necessarily helped prepare for World War 2 - the Italians sent a bunch of actual ground troops to Spain and still got creamed).

• Locked thread